Sean's Powerlifting Journey

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I definetly don't know what the hell I'm doing lol My gym owner will be giving me a hand. The few weeks after I get them in will be interesting.

Side note: E-pharm Joint Force is the ****.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Which Blast did you get? That's a good one to try to see if you want to continue with it. The seams are one thread wide, though. So it hurts exponentially more than a better made shirt with wider seams. More cutting than pressure. You'll definitely feel some pop, but what's nice is you don't have to change how you bench, the groove is where you want it.

You'll have to let me know about the briefs!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Actually just ended up ordering the Max dl suit tonight. I cant find my tape measure so I'll use one at my gym tomorrow. I'm looking at the standard blast or heavy duty blast. I'll grab my briefs then. Figure I'll wear the 34 briefs until I get my body weight where I want it and by that time I'll have the squat suit.

napalm

napalm

Awards
sean, you're strong, really strong. why do you want to go to gear?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It interests me, to be honest. I still intend to total elite raw before I give that up. Not fully commting to gear yet but want to test the waters. I've been having random money fall in my lap lately so now is my time to not feel guilty for blowing 150 on a suit.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It interests me, to be honest. I still intend to total elite raw before I give that up. Not fully commting to gear yet but want to test the waters. I've been having random money fall in my lap lately so now is my time to not feel guilty for blowing 150 on a suit.
You can send some of that random money my way lol.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You can send some of that random money my way lol.
lol Uncle Sam owed us a chunk of change, tax returns, travel claims, ect I ain't rich, but like I said-it's my one time to not feel guilty buyin it. I never spend money on myself.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd say go with the HD Blast or the EHPHD. At least get something pretty good instead of a VERY minimal shirt.

You figure the Blast gave me 25lbs from my meet bench, and I've popped a lot of material in the chest plate. It's nice that it's cheap, but it really doesn't last.

Or just go with the Rage. The Rage costs the same as an EHPHD, but it's a better shirt. It's not hard to learn, like I said both of my brothers have gotten big benches finished in it, with zero prior shirt experience.

OR call up or email the guys at Anderson Powerlifting, they'll walk you through it and get your Titan shirt PERFECT.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
sean, you're strong, really strong. why do you want to go to gear?
Napalm, forgive me if I seem intrusive, but with your injuries, gear could be awesome for you. The original purpose of the supportive equipment was injury prevention. Even some light duty stuff could help stave off injury and provide a bit of overload and have you totaling bigger and feeling better.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
lol Uncle Sam owed us a chunk of change, tax returns, travel claims, ect I ain't rich, but like I said-it's my one time to not feel guilty buyin it. I never spend money on myself.
I did the same thing tax return. Made sure I bought myself some stuff. Rest went to bills and the fam.

Joint force is a great product. It's great when just an area or two is aching.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Napalm, forgive me if I seem intrusive, but with your injuries, gear could be awesome for you. The original purpose of the supportive equipment was injury prevention. Even some light duty stuff could help stave off injury and provide a bit of overload and have you totaling bigger and feeling better.
Yeah, I told myself I wasn't going to think about it until I squat 405 raw, which will prolly be July. I firmly believe that a solid foundation is needed before making the switch. I've literally seen guys who can't do 315 raw, but squat 500+ in gear.

Obviously, Sean has the foundation.

I'll be picking up some briefs sometime soon though.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, I told myself I wasn't going to think about it until I squat 405 raw, which will prolly be July. I firmly believe that a solid foundation is needed before making the switch. I've literally seen guys who can't do 315 raw, but squats 500+ in gear.

Obviously, Sean has the foundation.

I'll be picking up some briefs sometime soon though.
You're right. There's not much worse than Gene Rychlak struggling with 405 raw and being the first person to bench a grand. Props to you for wanting to have a foundation.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Sean, I'm halfway through the cube and BL blew my mind yesterday. I've been listening to Tate/wendler for years about stance width. BL is saying to narrow it a bit so adductors aren't in the movement so much.

The gist of it was wide stance (me), lots of adductor = mcl pain.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I had a semi wide stance before. Second I brought it in, it allowed my knees to open and I had a stronger squat. Before, my abductors prevented me from hitting proper depth it felt. Lilly is cool ****. Reminds me of Wendler a bit.

napalm

napalm

Awards
I had a semi wide stance before. Second I brought it in, it allowed my knees to open and I had a stronger squat. Before, my abductors prevented me from hitting proper depth it felt. Lilly is cool ****. Reminds me of Wendler a bit.
I had rodja take a look at my opener, he suggested I move it in a bit as well. I'm gonna play around next week and narrow it and work up to my opener

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think it'll be a positive difference. I wouldn't anticipate a drop in strength or anything like that.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had rodja take a look at my opener, he suggested I move it in a bit as well. I'm gonna play around next week and narrow it and work up to my opener
Take a front vid and look at the angle of your shins in relation to your foot placement. You want them vertical and not angled.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Need a front vid bubba! Knee placement over the feet...adduct or abduct

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I gotta forward lean but stay behind my toes still and weight off of my toes. I just didn't have the hip mobility to squat with Napalms semi-widish stance.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
just tried on size 34 double ply hardcore. took a puttin the straps on the monolift and jacking it up to get the straps on my shoulders

napalm

napalm

Awards
Take a front vid and look at the angle of your shins in relation to your foot placement. You want them vertical and not angled.
When you're right, you're right brother. I've been aware of where my knees are forever. My left hammy is preventing me from sitting back as far as I need to. Pulled it dl'ing about 4 months ago and it won't get better.

I've been able to squat almost pain free, and haven't had to drop any weight so I'm going with it.

After nats, I have a number of things to look at; a squat technique makeover is one of them.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Sean, I would say our knee angles are pretty similar.

AZ, I have a front vid in my gay uncut log - worst log ever by the way...

Go take a look and let me know what you think, I'm on my phone at my kids v-ball tourney now...

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cube Method W1 ME Deadlift

http://youtu.be/HEtmyGLwqOY

Prewo: 4 Joint Help caps, Joint Force spray, 9g CitMal, 1.5 scoop Enhanced (**** is good!!), 5g creating mono, 1 scoop whey.

Intra: 2x Formutech BCAA sample.

Warmup:
Banded hip mobility work, foam roll, BW squats and lunges

Deficit Pulls (1.25")
405x2x3
405x2+red mini bands
405x2+red mini bands+chains (~525 at top?)

4" Block, Snatch Grip Pull
315x8x3

ATG Front Squat
185x8x4

Banded Sissy Squats
x8x3

I got carried away with the pulls but **** it, I didn't miss a rep. I was bull****tin around with the gym owners and the rogue platform so we just started slapping **** on. I'll figure out the math here in a bit. I believe the bands are 15 at the bottom and 60 at top, without the deficit, then a 30lb chain each side. Felt great.

Snatch grips still suck.

Banded sissy squats...did it on the sissy squat platform feet holder thing..ran a light orange from the base of a vertical support and looped around my waist. I had to use hip drive to stand up so I feel that definetly helped.

Gym owner is trying to convince me to go double ply instead of single. Stickin with single.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice pulls man.

I used the sissy squat stand today too. That thing smokes my quads.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sean, I would say our knee angles are pretty similar.

AZ, I have a front vid in my gay uncut log - worst log ever by the way...

Go take a look and let me know what you think, I'm on my phone at my kids v-ball tourney now...
Watched them..Bring the feet in bubba...your MCL will appreciate it as well. You do still have to mentally force the knees outward when squatting though.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I double up a onyx mini band around me knees when I warmup and its helped train my knees to push out. I pretend like I'm making room for my belly in the hole.

I'm still wired from the Enhanced.

Edit for my workout post. Read last night from Westside to point toes straight when deadlifting to increase hip rotation if you have a weak lockout so that was my first time today with it. Usually I'm pointed slightly outwards.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not sure how I missed this...the only logs I look for are PL. ;)

Dude, you're crazy strong. I'm subbed, and jealous.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
haha thanks for joining man. Im all thighs. Just wait until you see my bench press...pathetic!!

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Where did you get that shirt big man?? Enhanced is rocket fuel bubba. LOl

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My gym made them. Front just says Billerica barbell club with a barbell and that's the back in the pic obviously. Pretty badass. I'll send ya one

Enhanced is great. I hate DMAA now and this is the first prewo so far that's given me compareble energy, minus the nausea. Even after struggling 10 minutes to try the suit on and the heavy pulls I was still wired.

Goin for a run with the wife and baby stroller now..**** my life.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Watched them..Bring the feet in bubba...your MCL will appreciate it as well. You do still have to mentally force the knees outward when squatting though.
Well, I think it's unanimous now. I'll try just outside shoulders next week and vid it. Thank god for deload.

Yeah, knees out and chest up are my queues.

And thanks brotha...

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Does your gym have a web site that I can get the T from?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My gym made them. Front just says Billerica barbell club with a barbell and that's the back in the pic obviously. Pretty badass. I'll send ya one

Enhanced is great. I hate DMAA now and this is the first prewo so far that's given me compareble energy, minus the nausea. Even after struggling 10 minutes to try the suit on and the heavy pulls I was still wired.

Goin for a run with the wife and baby stroller now..**** my life.
That shirt is awesome.

I need one

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
nah he makes like 20 at a time. I'll ask what website he made them at and they should still have the logo

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So...I figured it's about time I drop the 5/3/1 log, as I have not lifted with 5/3/1 in 11 weeks now and I don't intend to in the immediate future. I've had an enormous amount of advice and encouragement from the very beginning of that training log and it makes me love this more and more. I'll maintain this log for all of my future training, regardless of what method. If you haven't followed my last log, I started Brandon Lilly's Cube Method 10 weeks ago and have just competed in my first meet. I've always wanted to compete in powerlifting and until I joined this site; I thought it was just going to be one of those things I'd never commit to. After using 5/3/1 for a few months and becoming addicted to getting stronger and stopped worrying about looks....powerlifting is all I can think about (outside of family and work..)

I switched to the Cube Method in order for me to work on different aspects of training. I intend to continue with this until it fails me, or I fail at it. I use all of my available resources, including but not limited to: The Cube Method, 5/3/1, Westside, Juggernaut, any and all writings by anyone bigger and stronger than me, and of course my resources here at AM.
How much time did you invest into following the juggernaut program?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ahh got ya.

I go back and forth between 5/3/1 and ws4sb and have been contemplating switching things up and been considering either cube of juggernaught.

How has cube been treating you thus far?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I haven't gotten too deep in the Juggernaut yet. Im enjoying the Cube though. It's definetly all about what you put into the assistance. I appreciate the rotation of it. Only lifting heavy once a week. If its twice then it's from blocks or reverse bands. Never feels like I've been hit with a truck, unlike my 5's week with deadlifts on 5/3/1. I hit PRs on squat and bench and felt like I could have done more if it wasn't done all at once at the meet. I anticipate this next cycle having bigger PRs, as the last months I had been dialing in on form.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cube Method W1 Explosive Bench http://youtu.be/z5wgTY1_k8E

Prewo 4 Joint Help, Joint Force spray, 9g CitMal, 1.5x Enhanced, 10g MBCAA

Intra
1 Formutech BCAA sampler

Warmup
Foam roll, banded internal/external rotations, push-ups, banded pull downs, shoulder rotations with PVC, bench 135/155/165

Bench Press (Shoulder saver=2 board)
195x3x8

Flat DB Press
65x12x3

Chest Supported Row w/doubled mini
110x15x4

Rolling Tricep Ext/Seated DB Cleans 30x15x3/20x12x4
30x12

Cable Crunches
190x12x4

Stair Stepper
Levels 6-9
Length-1 South Park episode

Gotta get a sweat on, have to weigh in at work tomorrow. Ezekial Bread pre/post workout and that's it for carbs the rest of the day.

I know I should be doing full ROM on bench for DE days but seeing as my shoulder is not fully 100% I hit up the EFS Shoulder Saver today and will floor press next week. Brandon Lilly states in his book he rotates 2-board, floor press, bench press; regardless of which effort day it is. I'll be following that this cycle to see what it does for my bench press. I'll hit ME/DE/RE once each with those variations the next 9 weeks. My grip has been brought inside the rings because of my meets 3rd attempt failure and in effort to activate more back vice shoulders.

I worked my body into hitting the perfect angle with that row machine and the band just makes the squeeze even harder.

Triceps are on fire from the rolling extensions. Traps and delts were hit hard from the seated DB cleans.

Push/pull meet at my gym June 30th I'll attend to see where my numbers are. Ill make it a full power for myself and squat as well. Hopefully Ill find a sanctioned meet at the end of the summer.

Attachments

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I never see people do rolling tris-I LOVE that exercise!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Also-what editing program did you use for vids?