Rolled Oats

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
I tried to do a search because i swore that I saw this before...

All quaker oats in those tubes are "rolled" correct? It just means they had a big ass roller go over them to break them open.

Sorry for bringing this question back to life

adpanther

Awards
yeah they're actually par-cooked and rolled for faster cooking. The quick cooking variety are cooked even longer and rolled even thinner.

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yeah they're actually par-cooked and rolled for faster cooking. The quick cooking variety are cooked even longer and rolled even thinner.
And have a higher GI, stick with the sloooow kind.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Raw oatmeal. One of the best carb sources on the planet. I've noticed something, with the low carb diet craze it became possible to find some great sources of protein but there were few sources of good carbs. It's like sugar or nothing. I always keep some oatmeal with me at work and home. In a pinch you can just mix some in raw with tuna or salmon and be cool, and the taste ain't bad at all.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've recently added raw oats to my contest diet. One effect I'm noticing immediately is that it seems to dry me out a bit.

As for how I eat them, I throw half a cup of oats in a spice jar and munch on them while at work. I try to save the vast majority for the end of the day closer to my workout. Honestly I love the taste. I don't like plain oatmeal, but raw oats have a really nice nutty flavor. It's almost like eating unsalted peanuts or something.

Btw, I don't understand why people rave about steel cut oats over rolled oats. Steel cut oats are denser. In fact they are twice as dense as rolled oats. 0.25 cups of steel cut oats contains the same macros as 0.5 cups of rolled oats. Calorically dense carbs tend to be higher GI; I would think that would be bad news for steel cut oats.

Oh btw, if you eat the oats without boilng them, it has several benefits. In order to process them, your body has to soak them in water anyway. If you boil them, you've alreayd done this for your body and thus saved it some energy. If you don't boil them, your body has to expend extra energy doing this as well as cut into its own stores of water. Thus, eating raw oats can and typically does decrease subcutaneous water retention.

I definitely plan on using this concept to its fullest during my carb loading phase for my contest prep.

Oh, and post contest, raw oats will definitely be a regular part of my diet. In larger quantities though, obviously. One cannot gain appreciable muscle mass on 100 grams of carbs per day!

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
i we just talking about raw quaker oats from the tub? Not the quick kind? I found boxes of "rolled oats" from my friends Nutrition store but i dont want to keep having him say " no man just take it" .. boxes are small.. big tubs at costco are many and ... big... same thing as what we are all talking about?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
i we just talking about raw quaker oats from the tub? Not the quick kind? I found boxes of "rolled oats" from my friends Nutrition store but i dont want to keep having him say " no man just take it" .. boxes are small.. big tubs at costco are many and ... big... same thing as what we are all talking about?
I either get the Costco box or, if I'm in a pinch I'll get the Waldbaum's brand to tide me over for the week.

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
thanks a bunch.. thats oatstanding... get it.. oat.. but .. suppose to be out.. but if you were canadian.. it wouldn't matter..

PS i need a life

R-Mac

R-Mac

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i luv tuna, salmon and oats, and have my days when i make some weird ass food combo's....but mixing tuna and oats is one i havent tried..and there is something about mixing oats and tuna ....:jaw:

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
i luv tuna, salmon and oats, and have my days when i make some weird ass food combo's....but mixing tuna and oats is one i havent tried..and there is something about mixing oats and tuna ....
I came up with it because in my spare time, which can be substantial sometimes considering my skill with women, I like to **** around with recipes and food. Usually cooking stuff to bring in to work. I'd recommend the salmon and oats, mix 'em and let them marinate in the salmon for about twenty minutes in the fridge first. It makes them a little easier to down, otherwise they're very dry.

Oats make a great breadcrumb substitute if you know how to work them. Get some ground turkey and some ground pork, make turkey, pork and oatmeal meatballs. Bake the balls until cooked, make some fresh tomato sauce with just some pureed tomatoes and spices, a little garlic and wine and serve it all together with some whole wheat pasta. It's really amazing what you can do with some very basic ingredients and a little imagination, and still have the end result be moderately to very healthy in terms of good/bad fat content and good/bad carb content. The good stuff just tastes a little different. But, in the end a lot of taste is aquired. So if you don't like the healthy food, keep eating it anyway. Eventually you ether won't mind it or even learn to and even crave it.

raider1

raider1

Awards
I finally found a store around me that carries the steel cut oats...what is the best way to have these ...any good ideas or recipes ???

BBAddict

Awards
I finally found a store around me that carries the steel cut oats...what is the best way to have these ...any good ideas or recipes ???
I just do all the same things as I do with rolled oats. Cinnamon, splenda, etc. They are very similar in taste so I think all the same recipes will work. Actually, I eat them plain most of the time--I eat for function, not flavor!

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I just do all the same things as I do with rolled oats. Cinnamon, splenda, etc. They are very similar in taste so I think all the same recipes will work. Actually, I eat them plain most of the time--I eat for function, not flavor!
I'm getting to that point too. Still love my mexican food, but anything beyond that I'm more concerned with macros now after tracking them for a while. It's amazing what a diet log will do to your eating habits.

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
totally.. and it is amazing how when you start eating real food.. correct food.. how much muscle one can put on... its funny..even if you are eating much much less than when one ate crap food

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
totally.. and it is amazing how when you start eating real food.. correct food.. how much muscle one can put on... its funny..even if you are eating much much less than when one ate crap food
Indeed. :thumbsup: I'm well over 200 grams of protein by lunch just by eating healthy.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Indeed. :thumbsup: I'm well over 200 grams of protein by lunch just by eating healthy.
It's funny, I'm well into my contest prep, and I actually had to drop my protein intake recently because that was the only place I could cut calories from.

At one point I had inadvertently gotten myself to over 400 grams of protein per day, all from chicken, tuna, egg whites, more tuna, more egg whites, calcium caseinate, whey protein, nonfat cottage cheese, and a little protein here and there from veggies and oats.

After this contest, I think it will be pretty easy actually to maintain a healthy diet. I've actually packed on additional muscle during this contest prep just from eating so healthy. I can only imagine how much I'll pack on when actually on a caloric surplus and eating healthy!

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
It's funny, I'm well into my contest prep, and I actually had to drop my protein intake recently because that was the only place I could cut calories from.

At one point I had inadvertently gotten myself to over 400 grams of protein per day, all from chicken, tuna, egg whites, more tuna, more egg whites, calcium caseinate, whey protein, nonfat cottage cheese, and a little protein here and there from veggies and oats.

After this contest, I think it will be pretty easy actually to maintain a healthy diet. I've actually packed on additional muscle during this contest prep just from eating so healthy. I can only imagine how much I'll pack on when actually on a caloric surplus and eating healthy!
You're going to be pleasantly surprised. It took me a long time to realize how ****ed up my diet was, and now that I've been tracking it for a while and progressively changing it to a more or less 40/40/20 split, even hypocaloric I'm seeing results, which is thankfully still possible for a chubster like me.

Jeffrw

Jeffrw

Awards
I've recently added raw oats to my contest diet. One effect I'm noticing immediately is that it seems to dry me out a bit.

As for how I eat them, I throw half a cup of oats in a spice jar and munch on them while at work. I try to save the vast majority for the end of the day closer to my workout. Honestly I love the taste. I don't like plain oatmeal, but raw oats have a really nice nutty flavor. It's almost like eating unsalted peanuts or something.

Btw, I don't understand why people rave about steel cut oats over rolled oats. Steel cut oats are denser. In fact they are twice as dense as rolled oats. 0.25 cups of steel cut oats contains the same macros as 0.5 cups of rolled oats. Calorically dense carbs tend to be higher GI; I would think that would be bad news for steel cut oats.

Oh btw, if you eat the oats without boilng them, it has several benefits. In order to process them, your body has to soak them in water anyway. If you boil them, you've alreayd done this for your body and thus saved it some energy. If you don't boil them, your body has to expend extra energy doing this as well as cut into its own stores of water. Thus, eating raw oats can and typically does decrease subcutaneous water retention.

I definitely plan on using this concept to its fullest during my carb loading phase for my contest prep.

Oh, and post contest, raw oats will definitely be a regular part of my diet. In larger quantities though, obviously. One cannot gain appreciable muscle mass on 100 grams of carbs per day!
Hey Null (or anyone else if they know),
How much does the GI of oats change when you use a coffee grinder? I don't want to get into the simple vs complex pwo debate, but right now I am interested in keeping my workout carbs low to mid GI. Even if it is a signifanct increase, I still view it as a healthier option than dextrose. I used to use dry rolled oats, but decided to give steel cut a shot and decided I had to use a coffee grinder to deal with them. I haven't noticed any noticable difference between dry regular Rolled Oats and coffee-grinded up steel cut. When I switched from dextrose to oats I noticed quite a change. So even if it is pretty high GI, its nice to still have the dextrose effect without nausea and bloat.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Earlier in the thread, someone stated it doesn't have an effect on GI of the oats.

I find that hard to believe; they WILL digest faster if ground up. Perhaps though the overall effect on blood sugar is pretty much the same, it just passes through your system faster.

rippedforce63

Awards
  • Established
I don't think grinding oats has an effect on the gi but I believe it does effect the gastic load. Someone chime in if this is a correct way of thinking.