Rethinking on Berberine?

K21

Awards
Hi danes would 500mg a day of berberine be safe, any new info about berberine effect on dna/cancer in humans?

K21

Awards
The problem with combining berberine and milk thistle is that milk thistle increase berberine absorption. So you’ll have a higher berberine concentration in the system.
I thought it would have the opposite effect clearing things out of the liver like with orals?

K21

Awards
heres the one from ergo log the mice looked healthy and lived long I want that to be me lol, has some good info at the bottom page under discussion.

K21

Awards
This study revealed that severe DNA damage in accelerated or natural aging models was ameliorated by BBR both in vitro and in vivo. In fact, BBR down-regulated the expression of p16, which promoted the formation of the cyclinD1-CDK4 complex. It is noteworthy that the mechanism by which BBR modulates p16 is still unknown. Further study needs to be carried out to make it clear. This was followed by phosphorylation of RB into pRB by the cyclinD1-CDK4 complex. As a result, pRB induced the release of E2F1 which promoted the synthesis of DNA and allowed cell-cycle progression. Therefore, BBR ameliorates cellular senescence by promoting cellular transition from G1 to S phase during early mitosis of the cell cycle.

K21

Awards
One possible concern about BBR would be if it increases the risk of cancer by promoting cell proliferation. Though we showed BBR promotes cell proliferation in WI38, it is reported previously BBR treatment promotes cell-cycle arrest and death in human cancer cell lines, coupled to an increased expression of apoptotic factors (Sefidabi et al., 2017). BBR was reported to leading to apoptosis in around 20 types of cancers through various mechanisms. Thus, BBR is evident to rejuvenate aging cells and inhibit cancer cells at the same time.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I thought it would have the opposite effect clearing things out of the liver like with orals?
No. I can’t remember the exact mechanism but it actually enhances berberine absorption.

K21

Awards
There is no doubt there are many benefits from berberine. But these studies on DNA damage and tumorigenesis kind of hold me back from using it now.

These findings indicate that berberine derivatives, like berberine, have anti-tumor effects

K21

Awards

Berberine has been shown to induce oxidative DNA damage and alter RAD51 expression in ovarian cancer cells, breast cancer cells, and osteosarcoma cells, but not in normal cells, thereby causing increased DNA damage and longer, with abundant γH2AX, ATM, and p53 foci (8082).

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
@K21, Im aware of these and in fact berberine has antitumoral and many other benefits, however it is also involved in DNA damage in healthy cells. I think I posed few of the related studies above.

concentration of berberine can reach to 0.39 mg/l (1.2 μM) after a single oral dose of 300 mg berberine (Ye et al., 2009) and 0.3 mg/l (0.9 μM) after multi-dose oral administration of 1200–2000 mg berberine per day for eight weeks (Zeng et al., 2003). In our studies, toxic effect of berberine became apparent at 3.125 μM (Fig. 2), which is close to the plasma concentration detected in human blood samples. Thus, the use of berberine at the suggested clinically relevant levels may carry a risk of DNA damage.

It is worth mentioning that DNA damage was also observed with commercial goldenseal products and the extent of DNA damage was positively correlated with the berberine content.

Berberine appeared to be the most potent DNA damage inducer.
DNA damage was directly associated with the inhibitory effect of Topo II.
The extent of DNA damage was positively correlated to the berberine content in goldenseal products.

Last edited:

K21

Awards
Does anyone have any new info on weather berberine is safe to take?

K21

Awards
whats wrong with a single 300mg dose if its nearly 3 times lower than the toxic level?

K21

Awards
what if there are other things in golden seal thats synergistic with the berberine that causes the dna damage, where they injecting them with golden seal or feeding them it? how much golden seal did they give them, and if they gave the rats golden seal for 2 years thats a long time, just guessing like a 20 year old using until hes 70 with out a break, and do lab rats not just develop liver tumers anyway near the end of their life span. look what ecdysterone does to rats but not humans, what diet did the lab rats have was it healthy or some processed stuff and did they get exercise,

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I take it daily and have for ages. No worries here.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
whats wrong with a single 300mg dose if its nearly 3 times lower than the toxic level?
We don’t know how toxic it is or not. What they showed in different studies is that a sing 300mg dose bring the concentration in the blood at or around where toxic effect have been seen.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
what if there are other things in golden seal thats synergistic with the berberine that causes the dna damage, where they injecting them with golden seal or feeding them it? how much golden seal did they give them, and if they gave the rats golden seal for 2 years thats a long time, just guessing like a 20 year old using until hes 70 with out a break, and do lab rats not just develop liver tumers anyway near the end of their life span. look what ecdysterone does to rats but not humans, what diet did the lab rats have was it healthy or some processed stuff and did they get exercise,
Here is a European committee evaluation of berberine for human consumption:

K21

Awards
We don’t know how toxic it is or not. What they showed in different studies is that a sing 300mg dose bring the concentration in the blood at or around where toxic effect have been seen.
there is a study that supplementing with milk thistle when using berberine negated the negative effects of berberine on dna,

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
there is a study that supplementing with milk thistle when using berberine negated the negative effects of berberine on dna,
We discussed this before here, Milk thistle increase absorption of Berberine, so or it elevate it’s concentration in the blood and potentially it’s toxic effect.

K21

Awards
We discussed this before here, Milk thistle increase absorption of Berberine, so or it elevate it’s concentration in the blood and potentially it’s toxic effect.
but if it was able to reduce the toxic effect even though it apparently increases absorption must mean something?

mechka_grizli

mechka_grizli

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
but if it was able to reduce the toxic effect even though it apparently increases absorption must mean something?
It seems like you’re looking for some type of validation to use it. Multiple studies have been posted for and against it, so by now you should be able to form your own opinion and make a decision to use it or not. If you trust the studies then take it. If you’re concerned about the negative effects then there are plenty of ingredients that can be used instead

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
how would the DNA damage present itself in a person? accelerated aging? cancer?

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I guess I'll finish the berberine containing supplements I have, then think about going on a lower carb diet. I'm probably done building muscle anyways at 40 :cautious: Don't wanna fck with the "c" word.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I guess I'll finish the berberine containing supplements I have, then think about going on a lower carb diet. I'm probably done building muscle anyways at 40 :cautious: Don't wanna fck with the "c" word.
you could also try the f word fasting

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
how would the DNA damage present itself in a person? accelerated aging? cancer?
I think I’ve seen studies in mice where this DNA damage was linked to cancer. But it’s not really a proof that it does the same or not in human.