Red Sox 2009

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
On a side note: how about Jason Bay?; the new yankee killer!! :usa1:
It pisses me off that John Mozailak passed on Jason Bay. He even said STL was a place he would like to go. Our new management is a damn vagina, and lies to the Cards fans non stop.

Adams

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey, as the one yankee fan in here it seems, I will take the abuse. The sox are playing better ball right now, that is just a fact. I hope it changes however at some point this year

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey, as the one yankee fan in here it seems, I will take the abuse. The sox are playing better ball right now, that is just a fact. I hope it changes however at some point this year
Don't worry adam, over the years i've taken plenty being a sox fan; no pity here, haha. :lick:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It pisses me off that John Mozailak passed on Jason Bay. He even said STL was a place he would like to go. Our new management is a damn vagina, and lies to the Cards fans non stop.

Adams
He was a very good acquisition. We still need a big bat, though. Ortiz looks so bad, it's almost time to bench him, imo. They actually pitched around pedroia the other night to get to him. Not a good sign.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
He was a very good acquisition. We still need a big bat, though. Ortiz looks so bad, it's almost time to bench him, imo. They actually pitched around pedroia the other night to get to him. Not a good sign.
Ortiz looks TERRIBLE... he is a DH, and cant swing the bat... that should have been a bench move much quicker than you would a position player, he offers nothing else to the team.

Adams

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ortiz looks TERRIBLE... he is a DH, and cant swing the bat... that should have been a bench move much quicker than you would a position player, he offers nothing else to the team.

Adams
Francona really needs to realize this and make a move now. He looks completely lost. At the least, he needs to be benched and get someone in there that's swinging a better bat.

Dragon13

Dragon13

Awards
  • Established
Francona really needs to realize this and make a move now. He looks completely lost. At the least, he needs to be benched and get someone in there that's swinging a better bat.
Heresy! Papi will get it going.

protempsfish

Awards
As long as we don't start getting swept in 4 games by the Rays any time soon I think we'll be just fine :D.

Honestly Johnny hit the nail on the head, well in a way. In a Yankees Red Soxs series right now, the Red Soxs are the better team no doubt. To me its a mental block with the pressures of performing with the payroll (which although applies when we play every team, is ten fold more felt in a Yankee Soxs series), extreme lack luster Yankee clutchness (Yankees of old capitilize with runners in scoring position ~ Robbie's been amazing, but got to come up big), and some untimely errors (Jete??!?!?).

The only thing that has me worried is the possibility that the Red Sox's will have this grasp over the Yankees all year (even if we finish ahead of you in the standings).

With the Rays pitching coming into form, and those bats looking nice (Longo is a monster), this season is going to be 100+ winner, borderline 100, and a 90 game winner, aka these intradivisional series are quickly becoming dire even in early May.

**Protem, I'm sorry man, but as soon as the blue jays loose vernon (which would suck for 2 of my fantasy teams), run support will go down (also because I don't think Rios will step up and lind will come back down to earth), and more significantly trade Roy (mark my words they will), they'll fall back into that Realized Niche
OCCfan, I would agree with most of your assesment, however the manager Cito Gasten (who was a former hitting coach) has all the hitters on the same page with an aggressive hitting perspective. Hopefully this will continue. Too be honest, Vernon isnt doing as well as I would have hoped and with Rios, he could be batting 300 with 100 Ribbers OR he could be sitting on the bench with a 200 average and 40 RBI's His problem is his inconsistancy. Anyway, it should be a great AL East race. Not sure if the Rays are going to be as good as last year, albeit they SHOULD be! Carl Crawford is quite the spectacle. If he keeps going at this pace he could rival Rickey Henderson in the stolen base department. Gotta love the Yanks/Bosox rivalry.

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established

Adams
Just wait until Albert walks away via free agency.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just wait until Albert walks away via free agency.
That will never happen... he is going to be like Ozzie was... swallowed by the clubhouse, and retire in the clubhouse.

Albert is way to established here to leave.

Adams

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am all for some player loyalty, but he is terrible in there right now. Send to the minors or something to get some at bats. Baseball isn't a game you can have complete loyalty to someone slumping that hard. Put someone else in for the time being, let Ortiz work his mechanics, then reintroduce.

Adams

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's not heresy, it's a fact. I've played baseball my whole life, and i know when a player has major issues going on just based on their demonstation at the plate. I love big papi as much as anyone, and he's done some great things with boston over the years, but as a manager sometimes you have to make changes to benefit the team. Right now, he's not benefiting the team. Sometimes that kind of move sends a message and they respond. His mechanics need MAJOR work right now, and he's just not seeing the ball well.

Seriously though, something is very wrong; a blind man could see that; whether it's physical, mental, or a combo of both. They are pitching him inside again because they know he's not getting around on the inside fastball.

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
It's not heresy, it's a fact. I've played baseball my whole life, and i know when a player has major issues going on just based on their demonstation at the plate. I love big papi as much as anyone, and he's done some great things with boston over the years, but as a manager sometimes you have to make changes to benefit the team. Right now, he's not benefiting the team. Sometimes that kind of move sends a message and they respond. His mechanics need MAJOR work right now, and he's just not seeing the ball well.

Seriously though, something is very wrong; a blind man could see that; whether it's physical, mental, or a combo of both. They are pitching him inside again because they know he's not getting around on the inside fastball.
I agree...he looks absolutely horrid. He is a shell of a his former self. He went from being one of the most feared hitters in the game to being the go to out for pitchers. Very sad.

Cheers!:cheers:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree...he looks absolutely horrid. He is a shell of a his former self. He went from being one of the most feared hitters in the game to being the go to out for pitchers. Very sad.

I totally agree. Something needs to be done, and soon.

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
Well the Sox are getting away with his crappy play because the rest of the team is picking it up...especially Youkilis...that guy is turning into a beast. He has progressed way beyond everyone's expectations.

Oh it doesn't hurt that the Sox are loaded with pitching...if everyone is healthy.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well the Sox are getting away with his crappy play because the rest of the team is picking it up...especially Youkilis...that guy is turning into a beast. He has progressed way beyond everyone's expectations.

Oh it doesn't hurt that the Sox are loaded with pitching...if everyone is healthy.

Youkilis is one hell of a ballplayer, and really developed as a hitter. He's been a HUGE aspect to the red sox success.

Pitching is good, but i still see room for improvement. I still think something is wrong with beckett. He just doesn't look as sharp as he normally is. I watched his k-zone the other night, and he's leaving WAY TOO MANY pitches up in the strike zone. His curveball is very flat as well. Is it just fatigue, or is it something physical? Who knows.

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
Youkilis is one hell of a ballplayer, and really developed as a hitter. He's been a HUGE aspect to the red sox success.

Pitching is good, but i still see room for improvement. I still think something is wrong with beckett. He just doesn't look as sharp as he normally is. I watched his k-zone the other night, and he's leaving WAY TOO MANY pitches up in the strike zone. His curveball is very flat as well. Is it just fatigue, or is it something physical? Who knows.
Beckett is way out of whack. I really want to know what happened to him. He was arguably the best pitcher in the American League two years ago. Now all of a sudden he isn't throwing like he used to. His fastball velocity has dipped off a bit and his changeup has no bite to it...its like it just floats to the plate where as before...it fell off the table and he would hit the inside corner with it like a screwball. Who knows. Regardless...your sox will still win the division. My Cubbies have a lot of work to do though. Milton Bradley was the biggest flop of a signing in Free Agency. And why the F*ck the Cubs couldn't work out the deal to land Peavy is beyond me. Seriously...if the Cubs get Peavy...that rotation would be lethal.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok here is the question, how long before Girardi gets fired, and the rumor in NY is Larry Bowa.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok here is the question, how long before Girardi gets fired, and the rumor in NY is Larry Bowa.
If things continue as they are, it's coming soon.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Beckett is way out of whack. I really want to know what happened to him. He was arguably the best pitcher in the American League two years ago. Now all of a sudden he isn't throwing like he used to. His fastball velocity has dipped off a bit and his changeup has no bite to it...its like it just floats to the plate where as before...it fell off the table and he would hit the inside corner with it like a screwball. Who knows. Regardless...your sox will still win the division. My Cubbies have a lot of work to do though. Milton Bradley was the biggest flop of a signing in Free Agency. And why the F*ck the Cubs couldn't work out the deal to land Peavy is beyond me. Seriously...if the Cubs get Peavy...that rotation would be lethal.

I love beckett, but i have to say i'm really beginning to enjoy watching Jon Lester develop into the staff ace. That kid has some truly amazing stuff, and talk about movement on his pitches. His cutter is literally unhittable. You can even see how Lester has filled out his frame now, and even looks menacing when pitching. Hands down my favorite red sox player; followed closely by my little buddy pedroia. :006:

I haven't been following the cubbies lately. I should thouh, because i do root for them in the NL. They definitely should have gone more aggressively after peavy. Great pitcher.

petey7408

petey7408

Banned
Awards
If they dont turn around after ARod gets back, Girardi doesnt see July
I had high hopes for Girardi after he did a good job with the young talent in Florida...but I feel that it is going to turn into the same situation where he's going to separate himself from the management and go downhill from there.

Hopefully A-Rod will hit the ground at full sprint and get us in gear.

getbigbyjune

getbigbyjune

Awards
lol yes girardi is ****ed HAHAHAAHAHAHHA lol hes actually a really chill dude but because the yanks are losing, he'll be the first to go when in reality its steinbrenner thats ****ing the team lol Cheers and GO SOX!

petey7408

petey7408

Banned
Awards
lol yes girardi is ****ed HAHAHAAHAHAHHA lol hes actually a really chill dude but because the yanks are losing, he'll be the first to go when in reality its steinbrenner thats ****ing the team lol Cheers and GO SOX!
Yeah, Girardi is a great guy. I think a big part of it lies with Cashman as well....

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
The red sox were not swept by the rays; but the yankees have been courtesy of the sox.....twice! ;)

If you guys don't fix your middle relief soon, kiss your season goodbye. Seriously, they are awful; worst in the majors. They walked the bases loaded last night...then walked in a run. Granted dice-k drives me nuts with all the walks he gives up, but he always gets out of it somehow.

The sox have some issues as well, but not nearly as glaring as the yankees do. I'll take these bragging rights until our next series; where you'll be swept yet again! :006:

I'll give you that chamberlain looks good, but i don't see that guy as a starter. He reminds me of a young clemens in some ways.

As for the rays, i'll say this. They have a pretty good young baseball team, and longoria is going to have one hell of a career. However, the rays fans' down here are the ultimate bandwagon morons (most of them, not all.) When they're winning, you see the shirts out and talking it up like 1 playoff makes them the beasts of the east; they're a far cry from it. When they're losing, you can't find someone wearing a shirt or talking smack to save your life. During this whole first month, i didn't see any rays crap until they won a few games....then here come the bandwagon dipsh*ts out of the woodwork again. Now there are bandwagon fans on EVERY team, but the rays seem to take the cake. I'll at least hand it to the sox and yankee fans; even when they're not playing well, the support and fan-base is just as strong as ever.
Sorry I meant the O's before (I know a while ago, but its the only thing positive I can think of as a Yankee fan arguing with a Sox fan AT THE MOMENET).

Middle relief is by far out Achilles heal at this point in time. Honestly though the biggest remedy down the road for us will be the following (which I think is very obtainable):

1) CC and AJ have to beast it out and give us minimum 6 strong innings, but hopefully 7+ on a consistent basis (I know not every outing goes their way, but a consistency is a must here). Obviously keeps the bull pen rested, but it eliminates the need for Joe to potentially over manage and go through 3-4 different middle relievers, one of which typically blows leads or close games as of late).

2) We need Bruney back in the 8th desperatly. Hes underratted and comparible to Joba as far as shut down ability. This not only gives Joe a solid lock down 8th, but he gives us A game agaisnt rightys and leftys. More so though, with the 8-9 locked down, were again elimianting the need for these young developing middle relivers to face game changing decisions every game.

Outside of this, the bats will warm up (and by warm up they are going to be blistering when we have A Rod behind Tex [especially with Tex being a notoriously better hitter as the season progresses), and Robbie making a push for AL mvp with his new found grit and lock down dedication.

As far as the band wagoners, I can completely see that from Rays fans.. Honestly, if I saw people doing that consistently, I would just start calling then Devil Ray fans.. This is actually the biggest mutual respect factor I have with Red Soxs fans. Regardless if were to go undefeated in the regular season on the way to a WS title (a perfect season ahah), or there dead last in the East and don't win one divisional game.... Red Soxs fans are still Red Soxs fans (right along with us up here in NY... even if the NY Times doesn't necessarily show it ahah)

Giradi will last the entire season regardless of what happens. Heres the situations (if you feel like reading the most obvious situation, just skip to 4)

1) Yankees miss the playoffs: Giradi is fired the day after the last season game. Cashman resigns with him or the day after.

2) Make the playoffs, one and done: Giradi stays, Cashmans gone.

3) Deep playoff run: Giradi stays, Cashman more than likely stays but talks occur (depending on how the series happens)

4) WS victory. Giradi praised, Cashman has another 4-5 years (in which he will turn his vision in the right direction, and develop a homegrown crop of good ballplayers).

5) Swept at some point in the playoffs by the Red Soxs. George gets up off his death bed, murders Giradi on the air, and announces he coaxed Louie P from Chicago and hes going to restore glory in Yankee land.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry I meant the O's before (I know a while ago, but its the only thing positive I can think of as a Yankee fan arguing with a Sox fan AT THE MOMENET).

Middle relief is by far out Achilles heal at this point in time. Honestly though the biggest remedy down the road for us will be the following (which I think is very obtainable):

1) CC and AJ have to beast it out and give us minimum 6 strong innings, but hopefully 7+ on a consistent basis (I know not every outing goes their way, but a consistency is a must here). Obviously keeps the bull pen rested, but it eliminates the need for Joe to potentially over manage and go through 3-4 different middle relievers, one of which typically blows leads or close games as of late).

2) We need Bruney back in the 8th desperatly. Hes underratted and comparible to Joba as far as shut down ability. This not only gives Joe a solid lock down 8th, but he gives us A game agaisnt rightys and leftys. More so though, with the 8-9 locked down, were again elimianting the need for these young developing middle relivers to face game changing decisions every game.

Outside of this, the bats will warm up (and by warm up they are going to be blistering when we have A Rod behind Tex [especially with Tex being a notoriously better hitter as the season progresses), and Robbie making a push for AL mvp with his new found grit and lock down dedication.

As far as the band wagoners, I can completely see that from Rays fans.. Honestly, if I saw people doing that consistently, I would just start calling then Devil Ray fans.. This is actually the biggest mutual respect factor I have with Red Soxs fans. Regardless if were to go undefeated in the regular season on the way to a WS title (a perfect season ahah), or there dead last in the East and don't win one divisional game.... Red Soxs fans are still Red Soxs fans (right along with us up here in NY... even if the NY Times doesn't necessarily show it ahah)

Giradi will last the entire season regardless of what happens. Heres the situations (if you feel like reading the most obvious situation, just skip to 4)

1) Yankees miss the playoffs: Giradi is fired the day after the last season game. Cashman resigns with him or the day after.

2) Make the playoffs, one and done: Giradi stays, Cashmans gone.

3) Deep playoff run: Giradi stays, Cashman more than likely stays but talks occur (depending on how the series happens)

4) WS victory. Giradi praised, Cashman has another 4-5 years (in which he will turn his vision in the right direction, and develop a homegrown crop of good ballplayers).

5) Swept at some point in the playoffs by the Red Soxs. George gets up off his death bed, murders Giradi on the air, and announces he coaxed Louie P from Chicago and hes going to restore glory in Yankee land.

LOL!

Dragon13

Dragon13

Awards
  • Established
Look at Texiera and Matt Holliday. Any player can struggle. It's early yet, and he's showing some signs. I don't think he has major mechanical flaws either, a few tweaks here and there. He doesn't need to be benched or sent down; great players hit their way out of slumps. I am concerned about the lack of power though.

If he's still kicking around .225 with little in the way of power #s in another month, then you can press the panic button.

protempsfish

Awards
I hope AJ Burnett steps up his game. He was great last year as Jay but he was also in the last year of his contract. He has a tendancy to step off the gas once he gets his $$$. Could make a case for many of the under performing Yanks.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Look at Texiera and Matt Holliday. Any player can struggle. It's early yet, and he's showing some signs. I don't think he has major mechanical flaws either, a few tweaks here and there. He doesn't need to be benched or sent down; great players hit their way out of slumps. I am concerned about the lack of power though.

If he's still kicking around .225 with little in the way of power #s in another month, then you can press the panic button.
This is more than a slump; there is no doubt in my mind. Nothing he's been displaying is even remotely hopeful right now. In all seriousness, he looks lost at the plate. Texeira and Holliday don't look nearly as bad as ortiz does.

Even when a player slumps, their power still rings a bell every now and then with a home run. A player of his caliber demonstrating over 100 AB without a home run (slump or not) is more than concerning. The problem is multifaceted, and mechanics are included. He's not even hitting decent fly balls or making good contact for god sake. How many freakin' double plays has he hit into already this year? It's unreal.

He does deserved to be benched, and/or sent down to send a message as well as work on his mechanics/mindset. This is baseball, and sometimes you have to make decisions as a manager to shock either your team, or a player back into reality. Yes everyone can slump at times, but this is not a slump. He's not producing right now as he should be in the #3 slot, and something needs to be done about it.

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
Bay is money. So many people didn't believe me when i told them how good he was.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bay is money. So many people didn't believe me when i told them how good he was.
I was ecstatic when i heard we were getting bay. My buddy is a pirates fan, so i watched him play fairly often. One hell of an athlete, and a welcome addition to red sox nation.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
I hope Rem dawg gets better soon, I miss his personality.

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
I was ecstatic when i heard we were getting bay. My buddy is a pirates fan, so i watched him play fairly often. One hell of an athlete, and a welcome addition to red sox nation.
I did say the Sox got the better end of the deal now didn't I John? ;). The Sox have the best GM in all of baseball so it shouldn't come as a surprise they are consistently loaded with talent now.

redsoxfan12

Awards
Theo is the best gm in baseball. The Boy Genius! Hopefully we can come back today and take the series against the pesky Rays today. The only positive spot about yesterday is that Longoria is on my espn fantasy team (2 runs/1 hr/5 rbi). Other than that, let's go Sox!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Am i the only one that thinks Joe Morgan (on ESPN sunday night baseball) is a know-it-all arrogant prick?

God damn i can't stand listening to him talk...

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Am i the only one that thinks Joe Morgan (on ESPN sunday night baseball) is a know-it-all arrogant prick?

I have turned games onto mute to avoid listening to him. I used to listen to my yankee gmaes on the radio and have the tv on mute (at least when I lived in NY) however now, with Sterling becoming a dbag and waldman just downright awful, I can t listen to anything :)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have turned games onto mute to avoid listening to him. I used to listen to my yankee gmaes on the radio and have the tv on mute (at least when I lived in NY) however now, with Sterling becoming a dbag and waldman just downright awful, I can t listen to anything :)
Lol - I muted him as well. He's purely a douche bag.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
FINALLY!!!

Ortiz goes yard!!!!

Dragon13

Dragon13

Awards
  • Established
Thank God. Hopefully he gets it going now. He needs to go on a tear, hovering around the Mendoza line ain't gonna cut it much longer.

Trauma I'm starting to get concerned, I think early June was my panic-button point. 3 weeks or so.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I actually feel bad for Papi. I havent seen anyone fall off this fast before. I wonder if people will start to look at it from a roid perspective. He was one of the few Sox players I would have liked on the yankees. (Pedroia and Youkalis are the others)

BTW, yankees win 8 in a row :woohoo:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thank God. Hopefully he gets it going now. He needs to go on a tear, hovering around the Mendoza line ain't gonna cut it much longer.

Trauma I'm starting to get concerned, I think early June was my panic-button point. 3 weeks or so.
I think once he gets it going it will spark a unity within the team. It looks like he's starting to see the ball a bit better. Let's hope he continues to build on this now. :D

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I actually feel bad for Papi. I havent seen anyone fall off this fast before. I wonder if people will start to look at it from a roid perspective. He was one of the few Sox players I would have liked on the yankees. (Pedroia and Youkalis are the others)

BTW, yankees win 8 in a row :woohoo:
I do as well. It's almost amazing how confused he looked at the plate. There are signs he's getting back on track though.

The yanks are playing better, but you still sport that nice 0-5 record against the sox so far this year. :D

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do as well. It's almost amazing how confused he looked at the plate. There are signs he's getting back on track though.

The yanks are playing better, but you still sport that nice 0-5 record against the sox so far this year. :D
I know 0-5 sucks, but we need to win against who ever is in front of us. When the sox come to town, then we shall see.

He does look confused, and I dont want him to get well, at least not against the yankees

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established

I'm a Cubs fan...obviously you know my feelings on Joe Morgan. Everytime he talks I think :bryce:.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm a Cubs fan...obviously you know my feelings on Joe Morgan. Everytime he talks I think :bryce:.

I'm glad to know that i'm not the only one that thinks he's a total tool. You know i have some cubs love as well. ;)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hot damn!

Jason Bay is MONEY!!!!!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yanks winning but joba out after 14 pitches after getting hit by a line drive in the knee

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
I was wondering why he got pulled. Damn yahoo doesn't put why he left. Thought he charged Huff or something. Did Huff hit it?