Question on reps and sets. 6-8, or 8-12 for 3 sets?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So, I haven't worked out in awhile and it'll be some time before I lift again due to surgery. Anyway, when I was working out, I switched between 2 sets of 6-8 and 2 sets 8-12, with one warmup set. My strength kept going up, but I wasn't seeing any muscle growth, except in my legs that grow with little effort. So, I was thinking on moving to 3 working sets and I want to find the best balance for strength a muscle growth.

Vector300

Vector300

Awards
Check out Greg Nuckols articles on the "Hypertrophy Range". To sum it up he looks at a meta-analysis of training studies and has concluded that there is no "ideal rep range for muscle growth". Basically anything in the 1-15 range will make you grow. However there's a "but"... We can divide the rep ranges up into 3 or 4 groups. Low (1-3), medium (4-7), high (8-12), and crazy high (13-15+).

Low rep ranges are great but can be taxing on your CNS along with your joints, ligaments, and tendons. Crazy high typically doesn't allow for a decent load so there may not be enough intensity. So moderate and high reps may be best long term. Once again load comes in so I would say moderate (4-7 or for those who want a more traditional rep range: 5-8) would be best year round if we're talking compound lifts. For isolation lifts than 8+ is solid. For example if your an amateur bodybuilder who dabbles in powerlifting on offseason you could train in the 5-8 range, throw in some machine and iso work in the 8-12 range, and then gradually add in some lower reps (1-3) the closer you get to a PL comp..

He did mention that powerlifters and weightlifter who focus in the sub-5 rep range had greater 1RM percentages than those who focused on the higher ranges but most bodybuilders (relative to strength) had greater 6RM or 8RM than powerlifters and weightlifters because that's the rep range they focused on the most.

As far as volume (sets) goes...that's the real deciding factor. In those studies Greg found that the only hack that made a difference was the number of sets. He usually recommends 4 sets+. But I'll link the article so you can decide for yourself:

http://strengtheory.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/

Mcelis323

Mcelis323

Awards
If your starting of again keep the smaller muscle groups at a range of 3 set 12 to 15 reps, id say even 15 to 25 reps on 1st or last set to either warm up or burn out
4 to 5 sets for larger muscle groups, rep range of 6 to 12, pyramid up the weight