Quaker oats

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
Is it any diff. between "old fashion" and "1 minute" quaker oats?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Instant oats have a higher GI than regular oats. Look for rolled oats.

Redsky

Awards
I know some people have been grinding their oats down into a powder before adding it to a shake. I've found that I can just puree the **** outta the oats in the blender and you barely taste them. I've been making a 653 calorie low GI bulking shake lately. Great for the extra calories needed to grow. :thumbsup:

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
653 calorie
:goodpost: Not 652 or 654?!?!
What is your std dev, cp, cpk for this process and do you have control plans in place. This is a 6 sig process...no?

Oh...ISO/AS status is current?

:rofl:

-b5150 "you know I'm messing with you Redsky"

Redsky

Awards
:goodpost: Not 652 or 654?!?!
What is your std dev, cp, cpk for this process and do you have control plans in place. This is a 6 sig process...no?

Oh...ISO/AS status is current?

:rofl:

-b5150 "you know I'm messing with you Redsky"
Actually, Fletch just put out a video on how to create overly complicated excel spreadsheets regarding the matter of calorie intake. I used his 14.3 step formula. It's a best seller. :thumbsup:

Redsky "Fat has 9 calories :blink: "

Redsky

Awards
Scratch that, I just drove it up to 761 calories. :blink:

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bobo, how much stake do you put in the glycemic index? And the Insulin Index, be interested to hear your thoughts.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
Bobo, how much stake do you put in the glycemic index? And the Insulin Index, be interested to hear your thoughts.
Bump,

I went and looked up oats on the GI and they had at best a moderate GI. Even steel cut oats were high. Also what are some other good low GI foods.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its a guide, nothing more.

Take Oats for example. Its usually a moderate GI but when added to a protein, it drops. THis is just one exmaple of how the GI doesn't tell the whole story.

Insulin Index is also another guide because it tells you the total glycaemic load. In addition, those who tihnk fats don't cause insulin release will find that when fat was added to many foods, the total amount of insulin release was increased (this isn't response, but total amount). It seems fat does have some effect on insulin so therefore ite best to avoid high GI carbd with fat.

They both are a guide but do not tell the whole story. In most cases a food low on both is optimal for glucose and insulin control.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
It's a descent price but they reem you on the shipping. The cheapest shipping rate was $20.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I just bought some..damn they were hard to find in the grocery store. I must admit they taste a bit different.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
I've got instant oats at home, and the ingredients says %100 rolled oats. I don't get it. Oh yeah they're quaker.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
Finally found grocery store sells rolled oats in bulk 2$/lb.

Good deal ( about half price of "Quaker Oats") :thumbsup:

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
Quaker oats grinded finer than rolled oats. it takes a little bit longerto microwave rolled oats, other than that no difference.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
I like conspiracy theories, especially ones related to breakfast cereal. Seriously, I think the best (low GI/healthiest/etc.) are steel cut or oat "groats" which have everything intact. With the length of prep time, etc.though, the "real-world-almost-as-good alternative is whole rolled oats (i.e. Quaker, with Barbara Bush on the front in the hat). The original ones are better than instant, but both are pretty damn good for bodybuilding purposes. Especially, as Bobo suggests, with added protein to lower the overall GI. My personal absolute new favorite is to add 1 scoop of Dymatize Elite Butter Cream Toffee flavored protein to a bowl of oatmeal, maybe with a little extra water or milk to smooth it out. And no, I don't work for Dymatize. It's just that that flavor is the SH!T with oatmeal, especially!!!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've got instant oats at home, and the ingredients says %100 rolled oats. I don't get it. Oh yeah they're quaker.
The are processed to be able to cook extremely fast. THis is what causes the difference in GI. They just cause a larger insulin spike than non instant.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
The are processed to be able to cook extremely fast. THis is what causes the difference in GI. They just cause a larger insulin spike than non instant.
Oh ok i gotcha.

Stingray

Awards
Processed as in how? I though they were just ground/choped finer to allow them to cook faster? And would you still get a larger insulin spike if they were not cooked as opposed to regular oats that were cooked? (when I prepair my oatmeal I just heat a cup of skim milk and then add to the oatmeal and eat. I dont add the milk and then cook the oatmeal)

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Is it necessary to cook/microwave them? I like to eat mine uncooked with just cold milk, is this wrong?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Processed as in how? I though they were just ground/choped finer to allow them to cook faster? And would you still get a larger insulin spike if they were not cooked as opposed to regular oats that were cooked? (when I prepair my oatmeal I just heat a cup of skim milk and then add to the oatmeal and eat. I dont add the milk and then cook the oatmeal)
They have been precooked and are thinner.

The GI would be the almost the same regardless.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is it necessary to cook/microwave them? I like to eat mine uncooked with just cold milk, is this wrong?
No but some people will have digestions problems with raw oats.

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
When I eat cold cereal, I always dump 1/2 cup of oats in with the cereal. It gives high fiber cereals like all-bran and fiber 1 a much better texture. Espcecially "all bran extra fiber", that stuff tastes/feels like compressed extruded burlap!

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
do y'all have "central market"? high $ on many things, but lots of bulk organic grains & such. killer rices, flax seeds, etc...

lancelot

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ok, i'm still a little confused on the nutritional and GI value of rolled oats. i buy the large box of quaker brand rolled oats from costco and i put it through a coffee grinder into powder. Henry's market in SoCal carries every type of oats-rolled, steel cut, powdered, etc. Does it matter at all which type of oats i use since i grind my quaker brand rolled oats into powder?

TheUsual

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
ok, i'm still a little confused on the nutritional and GI value of rolled oats. i buy the large box of quaker brand rolled oats from costco and i put it through a coffee grinder into powder. Henry's market in SoCal carries every type of oats-rolled, steel cut, powdered, etc. Does it matter at all which type of oats i use since i grind my quaker brand rolled oats into powder?
I believe out of those choices listed, steel cut is the best. They are even less processed than the rolled oats that Bobo recommended. They are also known as Irish Oats.

lancelot

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I believe out of those choices listed, steel cut is the best. They are even less processed than the rolled oats that Bobo recommended. They are also known as Irish Oats.
i can get steel cut whole oats at henry's, no problem. but like i said, does it matter since i'm grinding my oats into powder? i'm not cooking it or eating oats. i just drink it as powder in my shakes.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
i can get steel cut whole oats at henry's, no problem. but like i said, does it matter since i'm grinding my oats into powder? i'm not cooking it or eating oats. i just drink it as powder in my shakes.
ya, i've wondered about that. when one thinks about it you are basically grinding it up and it would seem like they would absord faster no matter what type of oats that you have but i'm not really sure.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
ya, i've wondered about that. when one thinks about it you are basically grinding it up and it would seem like they would absord faster no matter what type of oats that you have but i'm not really sure.
I read once that, unlike most carb sources, the glycemic rating of oats doesn't change when it's finely cut. I need to find a reputable person to back this info up though.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
I read once that, unlike most carb sources, the glycemic rating of oats doesn't change when it's finely cut. I need to find a reputable person to back this info up though.
well, instant oats are thinner and are more finely cut yet they have a higher GI rating????

any experts???

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its the processing. They are thinned, seperated then cooked commpared to some that are just cooked compared to some that aren't cooked. :D

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Particle size of wheat, maize, and oat test meals: effects on plasma glucose and insulin responses and on the rate of starch digestion in vitro.

Heaton KW, Marcus SN, Emmett PM, Bolton CH.

University Department of Medicine, Bristol Royal Infirmary, UK.

When normal volunteers ate isocaloric wheat-based meals, their plasma insulin responses (peak concentration and area under curve) increased stepwise: whole grains less than cracked grains less than coarse flour less than fine flour. <b><i>Insulin responses</i></b> were also greater with fine maizemeal than with whole or cracked maize grains but <b><i>were similar with whole groats, rolled oats, and fine oatmeal.</i></b> The peak-to-nadir swing of plasma glucose was greater with wheat flour than with cracked or whole grains. In vitro starch hydrolysis by pancreatic amylase was faster with decreasing particle size with all three cereals. Correlation with the in vivo data was imperfect. Oat-based meals evoked smaller glucose and insulin responses than wheat- or maize-based meals. Particle size influences the digestion rate and consequent metabolic effects of wheat and maize but not oats. The increased insulin response to finely ground flour may be relevant to the etiology of diseases associated with hyperinsulinemia and to the management of diabetes.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
So then wouldn't putting oats in the blender w/the rest of your pwo shake increase their GI value.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
umm...its says "but not oats"

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
then i will continue to blend away.

thanks Bobo

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna have to order some oat flour then.

This 1/2 cup-at-a-time coffee grinder crap is BS.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jm88888 Recipes 6
Chubbinmuffin Nutrition / Health 5
Recipes 35
Ole Skl Recipes 25
Nutrition / Health 18