Props to Nintendo

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I'll read through, I was saving worrying about that too much until I had better Pokemon

Ty for the link!

Oh and Marrowak is at 980 CP

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'll read through, I was saving worrying about that too much until I had better Pokemon

Ty for the link!

Oh and Marrowak is at 980 CP
I really like knowing the DPS for moves, since the # it shows by the attack in-game doesn't take charge/delay time into account, so isn't very accurate or useful IMO.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I've been just feeling it out,

all my Hypnos seem annoyingly slow with every move, and only 1 of my 4 knows Psychic

Want my Alakazam...

Gengar took me no time gathering Ghastlys
but Abras are rare and run instinctively...

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been just feeling it out,

all my Hypnos seem annoyingly slow with every move, and only 1 of my 4 knows Psychic

Want my Alakazam...

Gengar took me no time gathering Ghastlys
but Abras are rare and run instinctively...
Hypno's moves are slow (my Exeggutor has confusion as well). It does a lot of damage per attack, but is slow. It's like 15 damage every 1.5 seconds (~10 DPS), where something like water gun is 6 damage every 0.5 second (12 DPS).

I'm not sure what style I like better (strong and slow or fast and weaker per attack). I think it depends on how you find dodging; maybe it's easier when you only have to attack 4 times in 6 seconds (confusion) instead of 12 (water gun), although you'd only need to attack 10 times to do the same 60 damage in 6 seconds as 4 attacks with confusion (I'm an engineering major, so I do way too much math all the time, haha).

Jealous of your Gengar. I only have a Ghastly.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wish they'd add 1-on-1 battling. Part of me wants to catch two more Slowbro and change my username to SlowBroBro and battle with 6 Slowbros.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Driven2lift you're gonna be piiissssseeed when you hear this: used an egg and did a mass evolve... 6 eevee's and 5 turned into flareon (including 2 I had named to turn into jolteons ha).

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Driven2lift you're gonna be piiissssseeed when you hear this: used an egg and did a mass evolve... 6 eevee's and 5 turned into flareon (including 2 I had named to turn into jolteons ha).
Yep, frustrating for sure lol.

Going on evolving Eevee #7 later, fingers crossed

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
What is the naming you guys are talking about? Like just changing Evees name into Flareon?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What is the naming you guys are talking about? Like just changing Evees name into Flareon?
When you evolve an Eevee, if it has a certain nickname (before being evolved), it's supposed to evolve into a particular evolution based on the name. I think the names are from the TV series. I'm pretty sure it's Rainer for Vaporeon, Pyro for Flareon, and Sparky for Jolteon, but it doesn't always work though, not sure why.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
When you evolve an Eevee, if it has a certain nickname (before being evolved), it's supposed to evolve into a particular evolution based on the name. I think the names are from the TV series. I'm pretty sure it's Rainer for Vaporeon, Pyro for Flareon, and Sparky for Jolteon, but it doesn't always work though, not sure why.
I'll have to give that a try and see what happens!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Yep these are the names. I'm at a 50% hit rate tho on it.

Just make sure when you name them, you completely close out of the app and then go back in before evolving. Otherwise it's guaranteed to just do random

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
They should have a badge for "baller": ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1471205743.471053.jpg

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Lol you should

Finally a top 6 Fire type for me

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1471206551.355110.jpg

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Decided to level up my Arcanine for some reason. He's still lower CP than my Flareon, but already has more HP and better moves:

Fire Fang (11.9 DPS vs 9.52 Ember) and Fire Blast (24.39 DPS vs 21.05 Heat Wave)

AllTheGainz

Awards
I caught a Gainzachu at the gym today. Battled some high end weights and won.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I caught a Gainzachu at the gym today. Battled some high end weights and won.
This is one thing I swear I'll lose my shiit about is if I see people playing this in the gym and taking up equipment.

Straight up biitch slap that mofo's phone right out of their hand.

AllTheGainz

Awards
This is one thing I swear I'll lose my shiit about is if I see people playing this in the gym and taking up equipment.

Straight up biitch slap that mofo's phone right out of their hand.
I think people should be going to real gyms vice the in game gyms but that's just my .02

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think people should be going to real gyms vice the in game gyms but that's just my .02
Because there's no way that someone can do both, right? There's only so many hours a day you can, or at least should, spend in the gym. I feel like a lot of people almost take some sort of misplaced pride in not playing the game, or not doing x activity because they go to the gym and/or are manly; as if the two (working out and doing something "childish/nerdy") inherently conflict with each other.

AllTheGainz

Awards
Because there's no way that someone can do both, right? There's only so many hours a day you can, or at least should, spend in the gym. I feel like a lot of people almost take some sort of misplaced pride in not playing the game, or not doing x activity because they go to the gym and/or are manly; as if the two (working out and doing something "childish/nerdy") are somehow mutually exclusive.
They aren't but I know quite a few people who think that playing the game is enough to help them lose weight etc so they don't go to the gym. Sure there are some people that do both but in general I'd say most of the population doesn't do both. If the majority of people did both then the gyms would be a lot more full then they are now.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
They aren't but I know quite a few people who think that playing the game is enough to help them lose weight etc so they don't go to the gym. Sure there are some people that do both but in general I'd say most of the population doesn't do both
If anything, the people saying that they're getting exercise by playing Pokemon GO are likely the people who never exercised or went to the gym in the first place. I don't think many people are switching from going to the gym to playing Pokemon. Yeah, some people are probably using it as their only form of exercise, but it's still better than the complete lack of exercise they were getting before, so can be viewed as a positive. For many very sedentary and overweight people, just walking to play Pokemon will help them lose weight. Of course, not as much as going to the gym and following a good diet, but perhaps it helps them enough to get started and they can go from there.

I find it very amusing when I see some pseudo-tough manly man on social media or in person (not aimed at you at all) bragging that they don't play Pokemon because they lift/hunt/fish/box/etc. Most of the time they're in mediocre shape at best.

AllTheGainz

Awards
My arguemnt is that if people want to get healthy they need to go to a real gym or take up some sort of exercise vice walking around. Yes the game gets people moving but it's highly unlikely that it will get them moving enough to solve any weight problems they have. If you want to play the game that's cool by me, but don't have it as your only form of exercise and wonder why you still aren't losing any or very little weight. It might slightly help someone whose obese but I doubt we will see a change in the obesity epidemic we have in the USA because of this game.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My arguemnt is that if people want to get healthy they need to go to a real gym or take up some sort of exercise vice walking around. Yes the game gets people moving but it's highly unlikely that it will get them moving enough to solve any weight problems they have. If you want to play the game that's cool by me, but don't have it as your only form of exercise and wonder why you still aren't losing any or very little weight. It might slightly help someone whose obese but I doubt we will see a change in the obesity epidemic we have in the USA because of this game.
I see the point you're trying to make, but I still find it more likely that the people who view playing Pokemon GO as legitimate exercise were probably not exercising AT ALL before, resulting in an increase in exercise for these largely sedentary individuals. Perhaps there is some level of delusion that playing Pokemon GO is enough legitimate exercise to get in shape, but most people are playing it for fun/entertainment first, with getting "exercise" as an additional benefit (it's a fun game first and foremost, after all). I still don't think that it's actually taking people away from gyms, so I don't see why you have a negative attitude towards it. It's not being marketed primarily as a fitness/exercise based game, it's being marketed as a Pokemon game in the real world primarily. It's still much healthier for you than playing Pokemon on a Gameboy, no?

AllTheGainz

Awards
I see the point you're trying to make, but I still find it more likely that the people who view playing Pokemon GO as legitimate exercise were probably not exercising AT ALL before, resulting in an increase in exercise for these largely sedentary individuals. Perhaps there is some level of delusion that playing Pokemon GO is enough legitimate exercise to get in shape, but most people are playing it for fun/entertainment first, with getting "exercise" as an additional benefit (it's a fun game first and foremost, after all). I still don't think that it's actually taking people away from gyms, so I don't see why you have a negative attitude towards it. It's not being marketed primarily as a fitness/exercise based game, it's being marketed as a Pokemon game in the real world primarily. It's still much healthier for you than playing Pokemon on a Gameboy, no?
Well I believe it is taking people away from the gym, maybe not a lot but it happens. I had my ex gym partner bail on the gym multiple times to go play the game with his friends. Does it happen a lot? No I don't think so, but it is having an impact. I think the same argument could have been made for skyrim when it first came out, but I seeing it happen a lot more with this game then others. Do I believe the game needs to go die in a hole? No but I think we have to teach people about balance.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well I believe it is taking people away from the gym, maybe not a lot but it happens. I had my ex gym partner bail on the gym multiple times to go play the game with his friends. Does it happen a lot? No I don't think so, but it is having an impact. I think the same argument could have been made for skyrim when it first came out, but I seeing it happen a lot more with this game then others. Do I believe the game needs to go die in a hole? No but I think we have to teach people about balance.
I've actually done more cardio than normal since the game came out. I still think that the game has had an overall positive effect on the amount of exercise done as a whole (especially among sedentary individuals), although I agree it's not nearly to the magnitude that the news/media would have you believe, and obviously isn't the answer or cure-all for America's obesity problems.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Type: Water

Attacks: wait wtf

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1471284569.859536.jpg

1208 CP
But that is just odd a fish has no water attack lol

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
^Why did I think Golduck was 1/2 psychic...

Have neither of those guys yet

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
^Why did I think Golduck was 1/2 psychic...

Have neither of those guys yet
I always thought he was Water/Psychic as well, but apparently he's not. I already have 4 Water/Psychic types (Slowbro), so it's all good, haha.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I always thought he was Water/Psychic as well, but apparently he's not. I already have 4 Water/Psychic types (Slowbro), so it's all good, haha.
He is water/psychic... Or at least was in the og game. Comes from "psy"duck haha

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Type: Water

Attacks: wait wtf

View attachment 139136

1208 CP
But that is just odd a fish has no water attack lol
That would be good against psychic types, bug would be super effective and it's a pretty strong move otherwise.
He is water/psychic... Or at least was in the og game. Comes from "psy"duck haha
In the newest games psyduck is dual type (water/psychic) but golduck is just water. He can use some psychic moves though (for whatever reason)

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That would be good against psychic types, bug would be super effective and it's a pretty strong move otherwise.

In the newest games psyduck is dual type (water/psychic) but golduck is just water. He can use some psychic moves though (for whatever reason)
But in GO, super effective is only 1.25x damage, which is the same as STAB, so it's really better to just have the same type of move sometimes. In the games, super effective was 2x and STAB was 1.5x, but when you can't choose moves or what moves to use, you don't want types being too important I suppose. I'd like to see 2 quick moves to balance types out, and put super effective to at least 1.5x damage.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
So we went to the park today, a larger one further from home, first time there since the Pokemon Go craze

I don't know if what I saw was good or bad.

Pros:
-Lots of people not generally seen out in public are out and socializing.
-The common interest is an obvious conversation starter so meeting people is easy
-Exercise for some who need it, though this is only temporary as it may end up being a fad (or will satellite based geolocating games become common now?...)

Cons:
It felt and looked like a herd. I very much disliked that part. People moving as a crowd and half the park lazily walking between Pokemon appearances. I saw countless occasions of them cutting off runners and cyclists on the paths too...
Until now I've done most of my Pokedex growing through egg hatching. These guys were just camping out a position between Pokestops and using a way to cheat and see other nearby appearances, which they then conveyed to the crowd that then moved along... As a gamer it frustrates me. These people would get in one day what I have in weeks, for sitting there.

Takeaway: Pokemon Go is geared to social interaction ahead of fitness/health

Not bad, but notable. Actually smart for marketing the game.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So we went to the park today, a larger one further from home, first time there since the Pokemon Go craze

I don't know if what I saw was good or bad.

Pros:
-Lots of people not generally seen out in public are out and socializing.
-The common interest is an obvious conversation starter so meeting people is easy
-Exercise for some who need it, though this is only temporary as it may end up being a fad (or will satellite based geolocating games become common now?...)

Cons:
It felt and looked like a herd. I very much disliked that part. People moving as a crowd and half the park lazily walking between Pokemon appearances. I saw countless occasions of them cutting off runners and cyclists on the paths too...
Until now I've done most of my Pokedex growing through egg hatching. These guys were just camping out a position between Pokestops and using a way to cheat and see other nearby appearances, which they then conveyed to the crowd that then moved along... As a gamer it frustrates me. These people would get in one day what I have in weeks, for sitting there.

Takeaway: Pokemon Go is geared to social interaction ahead of fitness/health

Not bad, but notable. Actually smart for marketing the game.
Interesting observation. I've seen places (like restaurants/bars) where people put up constant lure modules and just sit an collect Pokemon. I've also seen groups of people (kids, teens, and adults) walking around looking for Pokemon. I do agree with you though; it is a game geared primarily around entertainment first; any health/fitness benefits are just a nice bonus. With that said, I haven't seen much actual advertisement or promotion from the makers of the game regarding health/fitness benefits, more just getting people to get out of their house and interact/socialize with other people. Hell, that's still better than sitting at home playing video games alone though. I think that trading and 1v1 battling will push it even farther into the social interaction territory, which isn't a bad thing IMO. It's still a game first and foremost, not a fitness app.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Interesting observation. I've seen places (like restaurants/bars) where people put up constant lure modules and just sit an collect Pokemon. I've also seen groups of people (kids, teens, and adults) walking around looking for Pokemon. I do agree with you though; it is a game geared primarily around entertainment first; any health/fitness benefits are just a nice bonus. With that said, I haven't seen much actual advertisement or promotion from the makers of the game regarding health/fitness benefits, more just getting people to get out of their house and interact/socialize with other people. Hell, that's still better than sitting at home playing video games alone though. I think that trading and 1v1 battling will push it even farther into the social interaction territory, which isn't a bad thing IMO. It's still a game first and foremost, not a fitness app.
This is totally true... I was working for 6 weeks in a VERY small town in ass knowhere NY and there was literally nobody out after like 6pm... all businesses closed, etc. Went back 3 weeks later (week 2 of PG being out) and the whole town was just crawling with people even as late as midnight. Kids, adults, families, etc etc all outside. People picking eachother up in cars to go win gyms, find pokemon that go sighted, and just talking to eachother. Had a random guy come talk to me for like 25min about nothing pokemon related after the intial intro.

Kinda cool to see that type of change in a town basically overnight.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
New negative:
Kids will all want a cellphone by 6 years old

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
New negative:
Kids will all want a cellphone by 6 years old
this has nothing to do with PG haha. has been a growing problem for years now anyways.

My cousin's kid is 4yrs old and asked for his own iPad for xmas LAST year... friggin brats.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
this has nothing to do with PG haha. has been a growing problem for years now anyways.

My cousin's kid is 4yrs old and asked for his own iPad for xmas LAST year... friggin brats.
This. I've seen many kids younger than 6 plying with smartphones and tablets. Hell, the average COD player sounds like they're no older than 12 years old.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
That's crazy. I'm not paying an extra cell bill so my kids can ignore the world at that age

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
That's crazy. I'm not paying an extra cell bill so my kids can ignore the world at that age
hell no. my kids will be outside playing with sticks and rocks like kids should ha. You wanna catch animals? go catch bugs, crabs, and salamanders with your damn hands!

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The Eevee naming trick doesn't seem to be working for me anymore. For a while it worked basically every time, but the past two times I tried to get a Vaporeon I ended up getting a Jolteon.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Finally got my Flareon though!!

Only took 9 Eevees!

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1471377650.903537.jpg

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1471378667.684722.jpg