pre or intraworkout nutrition thoughts?

Dfin0490

Dfin0490

Awards
I usually fast a few hours before I lift than post workout have lots of carbs and protein. Anyone use pre or intra workouts and feel like they help I'm talking like a mix of bcaa carbs and protein during and before

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I find a noticeable difference when I use Compete intra workout.

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
And lemon drop is delicious..

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Give Controlled Labs Purple Wraath a go. It's an intra-workout EAA/BCAA product that contains some extra ergogenic AIDS like citrulline malate, betaine anhydrous, and beta alinine. I normally mix a couple of scoops with powdered Gatorade, intra workout

I'd recommend Cotton Candy :)

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Intra MD may be your best option if you want the added carbs that are already built in (HBCD) plus citrulline and a huge BCaA and EAA spectrum

Or you could always add your own bulk to these great options :

Scivation Xtend
Purple wrath by CL
Omega sports strive
Myokem mTOR pro
Universal juiced aminos

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I usually fast a few hours before I lift than post workout have lots of carbs and protein. Anyone use pre or intra workouts and feel like they help I'm talking like a mix of bcaa carbs and protein during and before
There are definitely products available that can help, but it depends on what you're looking for. Are you looking for energy during your workouts? Or performance/endurance? It depends on your overall goals

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

That's a sexy new tub ;)

I hadn't seen the new label yet -- I dig it. i still have 2 tubs of the OG style that I'm working on.

Give Controlled Labs Purple Wraath a go. It's an intra-workout EAA/BCAA product that contains some extra ergogenic AIDS like citrulline malate, betaine anhydrous, and beta alinine. I normally mix a couple of scoops with powdered Gatorade, intra workout

I'd recommend Cotton Candy :)
WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN!?!?! lol

I feel so out of the loop!

I was only every familiar with the lemonade and grape (both of which taste good, but -- that sounds delish).

I've used Compete ever since it was released. I've tried other things in between, but that is my go-to for intra-workout. In the past 2 years or so, I've also added some extra taurine to it.

When I lift first thing in the morning, I'll usually drink another amino product (I've liked using ANS's Amino-HP, but I've used/still use tons of others) as soon as I get up. Then I'll take my preworkout about 30 minutes later as I'm heading to the gym, drink my Compete during, and then have whey isolate afterward or wait til later and eat (just depends on how I'm feeling).

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Big fan of Intra-MD here. If your diet is in check, I really think these can give you the edge in recovery.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Definitely think it can be helpful depending on training and goals.

I really don't ever miss taking my Amino IV (BCAA/EAA plus other ingredients specifically designed to enhance recovery and help build muscle and strength) + carbs (Gatorade or Koolaid). Keeps my performance and recovery at its best.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's a sexy new tub ;)

I hadn't seen the new label yet -- I dig it. i still have 2 tubs of the OG style that I'm working on.

WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN!?!?! lol

I feel so out of the loop!

I was only every familiar with the lemonade and grape (both of which taste good, but -- that sounds delish).
I have an addiction to the grape lol but the cotton candy is phenomenal

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards

Huge fan of using these types of products while training fasted. Compete has an amazing formula and Endurance BCAA by Formutech is my other go to product in this case.

endurancecc_669ffd70-22b2-468f-9900-4d195ff75eaa.png

Also in Cotton Candy

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Peptopro+HBCD

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
BCAAs and Gatorade. It's not sexy like some carb sources, but I can't say I've seen a noticeable difference between cheap as Gatorade and HBCD, Vitargo, etc.

yenohregdab

yenohregdab

Awards
Is there any issue with using EAA's pre workout as well as Intra and not just BCAA pre that I dont know of? I can get the same amount of EAA for the same price as buying BCAA, Infact the 3 BCAA's dose in the EAA is higher.

I know Amino IV is a blend so theres probably not but is it prefared to use them sepratly if possible?

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is there any issue with using EAA's pre workout as well as Intra and not just BCAA pre that I dont know of? I can get the same amount of EAA for the same price as buying BCAA, Infact the 3 BCAA's dose in the EAA is higher.

I know Amino IV is a blend so theres probably not but is it prefared to use them sepratly if possible?
EAAs are better than BCAAs by far, IMO. If they're cheaper, then you're onto something good.

yenohregdab

yenohregdab

Awards
EAAs are better than BCAAs by far, IMO. If they're cheaper, then you're onto something good.
Yeah I agree, EAA from now on it is. Maybe im just venting, Because it seems strange to me thats all lol. Sorry OP, Minor derail.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Agreed. I usually just get BCAA's though because they are fairly cheap. But i'll either take them mixed in with my pwo or intra or both.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Just eat some oatmeal with whey/casein protein an hour before you lift. Or whatever you want - whole foods are carbs and amino acids too! LOL

Pec.Major

Awards
  • Established
So it does not really matter if you choice EAA or BCAA for intra workout? Was thinking on getting usp labs modern bcaa or just a local vendor EAA product.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Just eat some oatmeal with whey/casein protein an hour before you lift. Or whatever you want - whole foods are carbs and amino acids too! LOL
This.

Definitely this.

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
If you go with EAAs, get a product that includes tryptophan. Most don't. You are not going to build any muscle without its presence, be it from last meal of from the EAA drink. But at the same time you want the peri-workout aminos for the anticatabolic effect so BCAA or BCAA + carbs would do.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
If you go with EAAs, get a product that includes tryptophan. Most don't.
Very true. Only a few EAA products are commplete.

So it does not really matter if you choice EAA or BCAA for intra workout? Was thinking on getting usp labs modern bcaa or just a local vendor EAA product.
Personally I prefer EAA's over BCAAs. When PES came out with AminoIV they had a nice write-up touting the benefits of EAAs over BCAAs intra.

yenohregdab

yenohregdab

Awards
The thing is EAA's contain the 3 BCAA's so unless the cost is considerably more I don't understand why not to buy EAA's. I don't mean this in a ****ty way, I'm seriously just curious.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
I've been training very early lately and I just go in having eaten a banana and drank my CreMax Xt and possibly oxymax xt if I need caffeine boost. I can definitely feel a difference between eating something and drinking my usual things vs just going in plain

Pec.Major

Awards
  • Established
There is zero EAA products locally that has tryptophan in it. I actually think it is against the law in my country to have it in free amino acid form. Lol.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
If you go with EAAs, get a product that includes tryptophan. Most don't. You are not going to build any muscle without its presence, be it from last meal of from the EAA drink. But at the same time you want the peri-workout aminos for the anticatabolic effect so BCAA or BCAA + carbs would do.
EAAs do not tend to contain trytophan because it fights for absorption competition in the intestines; including it can potentially diminish the efficacy of the entire product. Moreover, you cant build proteins without non essential amino acids, so how is BCAA any differemt in that regard?

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Here is my preferred protein supplier's assay for WPC 80%. All the BCAA's and EAA's look to be there to me. Just eat! :)

Attachments

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
EAAs do not tend to contain trytophan because it fights for absorption competition in the intestines; including it can potentially diminish the efficacy of the entire product. Moreover, you cant build proteins without non essential amino acids, so how is BCAA any differemt in that regard?
So 50-100mg of tryptophan in a 10g amino blend will significantly diminish the effects of the 9+ grams?

You will only get an anticatabolic effect from incomplete EAA mix, mostly from the leucine so BCAA are just fine as I implied above.

I think companies are not including tryptophan to be able to sell abroad or to avoid getting sued for serotonin syndrome by people running SSRIs for whom a little can become too much.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
So 50-100mg of tryptophan in a 10g amino blend will significantly diminish the effects of the 9+ grams?

You will only get an anticatabolic effect from incomplete EAA mix, mostly from the leucine so BCAA are just fine as I implied above.

I think companies are not including tryptophan to be able to sell abroad or to avoid getting sued for serotonin syndrome by people running SSRIs for whom a little can become too much.
No :(

I actually read it the wrong, BCAAs fight with tryptophan for entry into the brain not in the intestines - because unbound tryptophan can potentially increase 5-HT, it may play a role in central fatigue. The BCAAs use the same carrier as tryptophan for absorption which may delay fatigue.

By taking out tryptophan and using BCAA's, you potentially decrease the time taken to fatigue.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/136/2/544S.full.pdf+html

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
No :(

I actually read it the wrong, BCAAs fight with tryptophan for entry into the brain not in the intestines - because unbound tryptophan can potentially increase 5-HT, it may play a role in central fatigue. The BCAAs use the same carrier as tryptophan for absorption which may delay fatigue.

By taking out tryptophan and using BCAA's, you potentially decrease the time taken to fatigue.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/136/2/544S.full.pdf+html
:thumbsup:

Same with tyrosine hence the possibility for a prolactin increase:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3725721/

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Huge fan of using these types of products while training fasted. Compete has an amazing formula and Endurance BCAA by Formutech is my other go to product in this case.

View attachment 129080

Also in Cotton Candy
I flip flop back and forth between Compete and Endurance BCAA. Both are fantastic and I feel like my training has gotten better since using them