Power lifters. Thoughts on Blaha?

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The problem is that his credibility is so suspect that even if he did show a video of himself squatting 600lb or pulling 700lb few would believe it was legitimate and would probably conclude, given his past history of "exaggeration", that he was using fake weights like Brad Castleberry.

His past behavior is such that even if he could legitimately perform these lifts a great many would think it was just another one of his fantastic claims like his fantasy 500lb reverse grip bench press.
No its easy to tell if the weights are real.
Slow motion is one way. The weight are real.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
well hes squatting 500lbs daily.....have you seen other people do that on you tube?
[video=youtube;oeoS_4Y3wN0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeoS_4Y3wN0[/video]

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Please, watch THIS, it has some GOLD in it, I promise!!!!

[video=youtube;LcJtdxQrhfQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcJtdxQrhfQ[/video]

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have you read/watched the whole fiasco he had with Layne Norton? The lawsuit shenanigans is bad enough, but supposedly threatening Layne’s family? That’s f**ked up. Why would anyone support this guy’s channel?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Also, he claims we should stop giving aid to people/counties in need and let evolution take over, but he receives government assistance for some disability, so if he was consistent with his own beliefs, we should stop giving him that money and let evolution take over.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The more I read/hear, the more I wonder how anyone can take him seriously. He’s entertaining, but only because he’s so insane. It’s comedy gold.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Have you read/watched the whole fiasco he had with Layne Norton? The lawsuit shenanigans is bad enough, but supposedly threatening Layne’s family? That’s f**ked up. Why would anyone support this guy’s channel?
Yeah not only that, he set up a fund for people to donate to the court costs, then didn't show up to court and lost by default
He then moved to the USA and apparently a defamation case doesn't count if it was in another country (the trial was in the UK) so he didn't have to pay any money to Norton, but he then claimed the US government blocked it because he was an ex CIA operative or some crap lmao.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah not only that, he set up a fund for people to donate to the court costs, then didn't show up to court and lost by default
He then moved to the USA and apparently a defamation case doesn't count if it was in another country (the trial was in the UK) so he didn't have to pay any money to Norton, but he then claimed the US government blocked it because he was an ex CIA operative or some crap lmao.
And let’s not forget the military blog that called him out for his BS claims, and then he pretty much threatened them and accused Layne of paying them to write the “smear article” about him. The guy is out of his mind.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
[video=youtube;oeoS_4Y3wN0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeoS_4Y3wN0[/video]
I mentioned duffin earlier in the thread.
And of course Duffin,Bell,Chad smith. Are guys up on a pedestal. I'm not putting blaha in their league.
But still his PL log/video of daily minimums is pretty unique.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm only talking about PL.
Lobiner is a fraud too then.
Dude is ripped up and Tren ed out.
Sitting in front of protein and pre workout claiming only TRT.
I watch lobiner too. But I know the BS when I hear it. Just like blaha.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And let’s not forget the military blog that called him out for his BS claims, and then he pretty much threatened them and accused Layne of paying them to write the “smear article” about him. The guy is out of his mind.
Still, your not talking about his power lifting.
That's why I put this in the powerlifting section directed at powerliters. I wasn't interest what a bunch of pump chasers(no offense) thought about his drama.
I don't care about that. Your last three comments are drama. How do you feel about powerlifting and blahas powerlifting videos.
Can you bench 405lb? 315 for 5?
Blaha could probably get you to the 315x5
Probably before Norton could. Know why? Blahas is currently doing videos daily benching in the range I'm talking about.
So no offense your welcome to side bust in any thread you want, but actually you might be the guy who could benefit the most from these videos.
But I get the dude has weird sh1t. And calling somebody Hitler is ridiculous.
I get he's not a mercenary and the dozen other comments you've made.
But the weights are real and for a 42 year old fat guy squatting 500lbish daily and pulling high 500s is pretty cool.
I wish I had the free time to train like that.
I Just pulled 600lbs with hook grip for the first time 2 weeks ago. My whole body hurt.
No way could I pull 545 ED. But my life is all physical.
Your a smart guy, you have to be able to see what I'm talking. Even though your not chasing big lifts, somewhere you've got to understand why I like watching somebody performing daily minimums?
He's about my age. About the same strength.
I look way better than him but I don't care what dude looks like.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Still, your not talking about his power lifting.
Did you read that he called keto a death cult, and said that Lobliner supports eugenics for recommending it? I know that's not technically power lifting, but being so wrong about diet is clearly not doing him any favors in the credibility department.

Also, what about him calling out Norton's research as BS with absolutely no support to these claims, and getting multiple things wrong about his funding and being proven wrong in literal court for it.

That's why I put this in the powerlifting section directed at powerliters. I wasn't interest what a bunch of pump chasers(no offense) thought about his drama.
I don't care about that. Your last three comments are drama. How do you feel about powerlifting and blahas powerlifting videos.
My comments are actually helping anyone reading this thread to see what an absolute headcase Blaha is. If pointing out facts is drama, then I suppose I'm a drama queen. He's been wrong about diet and research, and also made plenty of asinine claims about how big and strong he is (bigger than Nubret, yeah, ok), so I have no reason to expect his powerlifting to not also be filled with lies, as lying is what he does best. Perhaps he gives decent powerlifting advice, but there are plenty of other people who also give good advice and aren't delusional and don't threaten people's families.
Probably before Norton could. Know why? Blahas is currently doing videos daily benching in the range I'm talking about.
Layne benched 390+ in raw competition. He can't do 315x5? He's also squatted well over 600lbs. What are you even talking about man?
So no offense your welcome to side bust in any thread you want, but actually you might be the guy who could benefit the most from these videos.
But I get the dude has weird sh1t. And calling somebody Hitler is ridiculous.
If I wanted to become a power lifter, which I don't, sure, maybe Blowhole's videos could help, but there are plenty of other videos and resources that would be at least equally as good that aren't coming from pathological liars who call keto a death cult and threaten people's families.
I get he's not a mercenary and the dozen other comments you've made.
But the weights are real and for a 42 year old fat guy squatting 500lbish daily and pulling high 500s is pretty cool.
I wish I had the free time to train like that.
Why does him being a fat guy make this any cooler? If anything, it's be more impressive for him to be lifting the same weights at a lighter weight if he was able to shed some of his fat? Surely you know that lifting the same weight at a lighter body weight is what powerlifters want. Blaha is nowhere close to being a competitive power lifter.
I Just pulled 600lbs with hook grip for the first time 2 weeks ago. My whole body hurt.
No way could I pull 545 ED. But my life is all physical.
Your a smart guy, you have to be able to see what I'm talking. Even though your not chasing big lifts, somewhere you've got to understand why I like watching somebody performing daily minimums?
Yeah, I get that you like watching his journey. I'm just saying that I would not recommend someone basing anything that matters to them around his advice on literally anything.
He's about my age. About the same strength.
I look way better than him but I don't care what dude looks like.
Response in post.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Response in post.
Actually if he keeps up this progress he will have elite lifts.
I wouldn't recommend anybody I coach to squat like Norton. Isn't his back thrashed from good morning his squat?

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was looking for power lifters to talk power lifting.
Not green beard Enthusiast to talk about green beards.
Or military to talk about fake military.
I get the list of BS is long.
I get that, its unanimous.
But his daily minimums are interesting. And he's hanging pretty good.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was talkingg about you dude.
Can you bench 405? How did you miss read that.
Norton didn't put out bench videos daily.
Blaha does.
You said:
What leads you to believe that Blaha can get me to X weight faster than Layne because Blaha does these weights daily? Layne can do these weights easily too, and is clearly educated and knowledgeable, and also doesn't spout off delusional nonsense about being a mercenary, eugenics, and threatening people.
Actually if he keeps up this progress he will have elite lifts.
I wouldn't recommend anybody I coach to squat like Norton. Isn't his back thrashed from good morning his squat?
No he wont. I'm pretty sure he's multiple hundreds of pounds from even being close to elite. He's also admitted to steroid use in the past, which one could argue would mean he's never truly natural based on some newer research focusing on the effects of steroids on muscle fiber size and the number of myonuclei. So there's that.
What about his powerlifting is lies?
Do you want me to check? I haven't looked at any of them because literally everything else out of his mouth is a lie, so why would I bother listening to him when there are any number of other people who are equally as strong, or stronger, and not quacks.
I'm not asking about his diet claims.
Norton also dislikes keto at least on markbells podcast he did.
If you don't see the difference between not liking keto and calling it a death cult, and it's supporters proponents of eugenics, you're also out of your mind.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You said:

What leads you to believe that Blaha can get me to X weight faster than Layne because Blaha does these weights daily? Layne can do these weights easily too, and is clearly educated and knowledgeable, and also doesn't spout off delusional nonsense about being a mercenary, eugenics, and threatening people.

No he wont. I'm pretty sure he's multiple hundreds of pounds from even being close to elite. He's also admitted to steroid use in the past, which one could argue would mean he's never truly natural based on some newer research focusing on the effects of steroids on muscle fiber size and the number of myonuclei. So there's that.

Do you want me to check? I haven't looked at any of them because literally everything else out of his mouth is a lie, so why would I bother listening to him when there are any number of other people who are equally as strong, or stronger, and not quacks.

If you don't see the difference between not liking keto and calling it a death cult, and it's supporters proponents of eugenics, you're also out of your mind.
Norton is squating heavy right now.?
I think blaha puts out more powerlifting content than Norton.
That's how if you only had the two, blahs would be more informative.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Norton is squating heavy right now.?
I think blaha puts out more powerlifting content than Norton.
That's how if you only had the two, blahs would be more informative.
A video of someone lifting isn't "informative." There's videos of Ronnie Coleman lifting absolutely insane amounts of weight. It's great fun and inspiration to watch, but it's not going to really help me make a workout plan.

Also, quantity of content isn't necessarily the most important criteria in determining usefulness. If a lifting program is clearly laid out, and there's sufficient videos and explanation for good form and technique, having one video a week or ten doesn't really make much of a difference. Seeing the dude lift isn't going to make or break my progress.

Can following Blaha's journey be interesting? Sure. But he seems to objectively be a terrible human being and a pathological liar, so I'd be skeptical to listen to anything he says when he's made it so abundantly clear that he lies more than he doesn't. Why not just to to a powerlifting channel/resource from someone equally as strong, if not stronger, who also looks better and/or is lighter (which would make lifting the same weight more impressive), and isn't a pathological liar and doesn't threaten people's families?

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I digress I don't have the energy to talk about his personality or his beard or is mercenary kills or his fantastic lifts when he was younger. I know he's full of s*** trust me I watch these videos with a grain of salt.
I really just want to talk about the daily minimums and the current lifting hes doing on video.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A video of someone lifting isn't "informative." There's videos of Ronnie Coleman lifting absolutely insane amounts of weight. It's great fun and inspiration to watch, but it's not going to really help me make a workout plan.

Also, quantity of content isn't necessarily the most important criteria in determining usefulness. If a lifting program is clearly laid out, and there's sufficient videos and explanation for good form and technique, having one video a week or ten doesn't really make much of a difference. Seeing the dude lift isn't going to make or break my progress.

Can following Blaha's journey be interesting? Sure. But he seems to objectively be a terrible human being and a pathological liar, so I'd be skeptical to listen to anything he says when he's made it so abundantly clear that he lies more than he doesn't. Why not just to to a powerlifting channel/resource from someone equally as strong, if not stronger, who also looks better and/or is lighter (which would make lifting the same weight more impressive), and isn't a pathological liar and doesn't threaten people's families?
Bro he dissects the lifts.
But whatever I don't even have a keyboard right now.
We are on two separate plains when it comes to lifting to discuss Blaha powerlifting endeavors obviously. I'm not going to sit here and just write back and forth with you . I don't have the time if you want to talk about lifting and progress and moving weight I'm all ears. If you want to talk about Blaha lies or Norton's good morning squats or any of this other stuff I'm not really interested but thank you.
Seriously no disrespect but I can keep up unless its power lifting or steroids.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bro he dissects the lifts.
But whatever I don't even have a keyboard right now.
We are on two separate plains when it comes to lifting to discuss Blaha powerlifting endeavors obviously. I'm not going to sit here and just write back and forth with you . I don't have the time if you want to talk about lifting and progress and moving weight I'm all ears. If you want to talk about Blaha lies or Norton's good morning squats or any of this other stuff I'm not really interested but thank you.
You're not understanding what I'm saying. Blaha's lifts are decent enough, impressive even (if not elite of course), but it's not like he's the only one putting up these numbers. There are probably dozens of other channels/people that lift at least as much as he does and AREN'T delusional asshats, so why support Blaha? I also don't think we can take anything Blaha says seriously at all. Someone who is clearly such a pathological liar may be lying about any number of things. Perhaps he's running more gear than he claims he is/isn't. Perhaps his videos aren't recorded when he says they are (he was shown to have lied about his YouTube earnings by waiting multiple months to deposit the checks to make it seem like it was all from one month).

What does this even mean?

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You're not understanding what I'm saying. Blaha's lifts are decent enough, impressive even (if not elite of course), but it's not like he's the only one putting up these numbers. There are probably dozens of other channels/people that lift at least as much as he does and AREN'T delusional asshats, so why support Blaha? I also don't think we can take anything Blaha says seriously at all. Someone who is clearly such a pathological liar may be lying about any number of things. Perhaps he's running more gear than he claims he is/isn't. Perhaps his videos aren't recorded when he says they are (he was shown to have lied about his YouTube earnings by waiting multiple months to deposit the checks to make it seem like it was all from one month).

What does this even mean?
[quoteSeriously no disrespect but I can keep up unless its power lifting or steroids.
[/QUOTE]It means I can't talk about his drama.
I don't know or care.
I was asking how you feel about his daily minimum videos.
I've said that so many time my phone is auto correcting.
I don't know anything about the other stuff.
All I'm able to discuss is powerlifting and steroids.
Yes absolutely blahs has used drugs.
But yeah I'm cool bro. Your point is taken.
He's strange.

johnl1800

johnl1800

Awards
  • Established
Can you bench 405lb? 315 for 5? Blaha could probably get you to the 315x5...
I don't care how much Blaha claims that he can lift. His credibility is nonexistent and I simply don't believe anything that comes out of his mouth. He could post a video every day of him lifting/wiggling his a$$ like he's baiting uncle Mike to come back from the grave for one last prostate massage and it wouldn't matter. Given his past history, until an independent observer confirms it I'll continue to be very skeptical.

I know that much of Blaha's criticism is an ad hominem attack and that your position is that "Hey the guy might be a kook in every other regard but I find his lifting advise sound." and that may be a valid point. However for me even if the guy legitimately could out lift Eddie Hall it still would be irrelevant to me because I don't believe that he's doing anything other than just parroting what he's heard or read somewhere else. I can google for the info by myself and easily find someone like Jim Wendler who's pretty strong and has a solid program without all of the loony baggage and drama that is attached to Blaha. WTF, Steve Shaw on youtube has more credibility than Blaha. Hell I'd listen to friggin Scooby before I would take any advice from Blaha for that matter.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't care how much Blaha claims that he can lift. His credibility is nonexistent and I simply don't believe anything that comes out of his mouth. He could post a video every day of him lifting/wiggling his a$$ like he's baiting uncle Mike to come back from the grave for one last prostate massage and it wouldn't matter. Given his past history, until an independent observer confirms it I'll continue to be very skeptical.

I know that much of Blaha's criticism is an ad hominem attack and that your position is that "Hey the guy might be a kook in every other regard but I find his lifting advise sound." and that may be a valid point. However for me even if the guy legitimately could out lift Eddie Hall it still would be irrelevant to me because I don't believe that he's doing anything other than just parroting what he's heard or read somewhere else. I can google for the info by myself and easily find someone like Jim Wendler who's pretty strong and has a solid program without all of the loony baggage and drama that is attached to Blaha. WTF, Steve Shaw on youtube has more credibility than Blaha. Hell I'd listen to friggin Scooby before I would take any advice from Blaha for that matter.
This. Has anyone ever even verified his lifts? He’s a pathological liar, to put it lightly, so if someone lies about 99 things, it’s likely that the 100th thing will also be a lie. Is that an ad hominem attack or just basic probability at this point? He’s lied about his past, claims of how muscular he is, he’s waffled back and forth on multiple diets multiple times, calling people Hitler for supporting what he supported recently (and still has those old videos up with no mention that he thinks they’re advocating a “death cult” now), etc. He’s also been wrong about supplement science when he slandered Layne Norton, and court records support this as well. He’s claimed to be bigger than multiple people who dwarf him. He says that he doesn’t rep supplements because it’d be unethical, but he’s claimed to have been a mercenary who committed war crimes, and said that he’d kill a stranger for a large amount of money. Literally everything out of his mouth that I’ve bothered to verify is clearly and extremely wrong. After a certain point, why even bother with him when there are other people with just as much knowledge where you don’t have to filter their claims though a myriad of checks? Why support this asshat monetarily (ad money) and fuel his delusions when he’s repeatedly gone out of his way to lie about people and threaten their family. The guy is either human scum or just so severely disabled that he doesn’t know any better.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

And that's cool. I get that.
In 2 years of he's squating 680. Ill revisit the thread.
I think he may. I could be wrong

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And that's cool. I get that.
In 2 years of he's squating 680. Ill revisit the thread.
I think he may. I could be wrong
If he’s verified squatting 680 by someone reputable. Either way, why not go to someone who Squats 800 today, has been verified doing so, and isn’t a delusional pathological liar? I think most people here wouldn’t support him on principle; he’s a scumbag, to put it nicely.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
You can watch him if you want for pure comedic value - I'm not sure what actual benefit you can get from watching his powerlifting though
If you want specific examples of bad advice for powerlifting, he said that overhead press and pull-ups were all you needed to get a strong chest and big biceps. He did it for two months and could only bench his body weight for one rep, then started benching and curling again

I'd even rank myself above Blaha. At least I've competed at some of the largest / most esteemed powerlifting competitions in the world, set some minor records and coached a lot of old people back to health. I don't consider myself a suitable candidate to start a youtube channel teaching people how to lift and diet

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can watch him if you want for pure comedic value - I'm not sure what actual benefit you can get from watching his powerlifting though
If you want specific examples of bad advice for powerlifting, he said that overhead press and pull-ups were all you needed to get a strong chest and big biceps. He did it for two months and could only bench his body weight for one rep, then started benching and curling again

I'd even rank myself above Blaha. At least I've competed at some of the largest / most esteemed powerlifting competitions in the world, set some minor records and coached a lot of old people back to health. I don't consider myself a suitable candidate to start a youtube channel teaching people how to lift and diet
He did all that - AND much more!!!! ;)

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Big biceps? His biceps are not even close to good for someone his weight who uses/used gear lol. I’d rank you ahead of Blaha too, if only because I haven’t heard you claim to be a former mercenary who’s bigger than Serge Nubret haha. I probably have better biceps than Blaha and I’m ~160lbs and have never used any gear, and that’s not me saying my biceps are amazing, only that his are very underwhelming.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Find me ANY picture of Blaha’s biceps and tell me why anyone would listen to him giving advice on building the biceps which is, by the way, something he has made videos about.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
We are giving him way too much attention....me think.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
He said, and I quote “body part splits are complete garbage.” Given that he was OBVIOUSLY talking about a non-powerlifting routine, as it was an old Arnold volume workout, this is an asinine statement. Body part splits fine for gaining muscle.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We are giving him way too much attention....me think.
I’m just trying to understand how anyone can take him seriously. Let’s take bicep advice from someone on gear who has terrible biceps! Great idea!

If he’s wrong about working muscles, exercises, etc, and wrong about diets, and research, and his personal life, why would I even think about trusting his powerlifting advice?

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Well if your stats are in kilos then your stronger than him correct or close too.
Yeah he's big on pull ups.
If I had to choose pull up or curls I'd choose pull ups.
Listens your actually one of the only power lifters that answered.
And since your stronger than him your critique is valid. Anything else besides the bicep advice that was flawed?
I'm talking moving weight now. Not the bad name he called lobiner.
Not the way he racked his pistol wrong.
Moving weight
Being honest, that's what I'm talking about.
Your right about his arms. They don't grow.
Anything else.?

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Actually the biggest thing I've got from him lately is, noobies should learn the deadlift with hook grip.
Its better to lift with a double over hand grip if possible.
Do you agree with that.?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well if your stats are in kilos then your stronger than him correct or close too.
Yeah he's big on pull ups.
If I had to choose pull up or curls I'd choose pull ups.
Listens your actually one of the only power lifters that answered.
And since your stronger than him your critique is valid. Anything else besides the bicep advice that was flawed?
I'm talking moving weight now. Not the bad name he called lobiner.
Not the way he racked his pistol wrong.
Moving weight
Being honest, that's what I'm talking about.
Your right about his arms. They don't grow.
Anything else.?
Did you even read Alex's post. He clearly said that Blowhole gave bad advice on what is necessary to build a strong chest, so he's been wrong about chest and biceps.
Add that to being wrong about diet, and about body part splits, and diets, I'd say that he's not exactly a consistent reliable source of good information for ANY lifter.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Actually the biggest thing I've got from him lately is, noobies should learn the deadlift with hook grip.
Its better to lift with a double over hand grip if possible.
Do you agree with that.?
It depends on many different variables. People with small hands won't be able to deadlift hook grip
The benefit of hook grip is that it makes your arms longer, mixed grip won't cause your back to develop more on one side than the other

As for his other advice, I would need specifics on what he is advising

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Did you even read Alex's post. He clearly said that Blowhole gave bad advice on what is necessary to build a strong chest, so he's been wrong about chest and biceps.

Add that to being wrong about diet, and about body part splits, and diets, I'd say that he's not exactly a consistent reliable source of good information for ANY lifter.
Bro .....I'm not sure how to say this.
Your opinion dost mean sh1t to me.
I'm talking moving weight.
The pull up press thing is crap. I agree.
But that wasn't power lifting advice. It was bodybuilding. We know he can't body build.
I'm talking about moving weight.
Honestly your not strong enough( even for your size) to talk powerlifting. You dont powerlift.
So over and over, and now side busting into questions directed at other people is getting old.
I'm not talking to you dog. But your opinion is noted.
Get back at me when you can hit some weight. I didn't want to be a dick, but you won't stop.
I don't care what you think. You don't know anything about moving weight.
I'm asking about hook grip for beginners to build a better deadlift.
Not dieting or bicep development.
Stop side busting.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It depends on many different variables. People with small hands won't be able to deadlift hook grip
The benefit of hook grip is that it makes your arms longer, mixed grip won't cause your back to develop more on one side than the other

Right its like wearing straps. So if your hands are not big enough to hook grip.
You probably won't have enough grip strength to pull very heavy anyways.
But your thought on hook grip, if possible, would be better to learn from day one? Do you agree?

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Also he recommends paused reps for older people. Thoughts being that more reps causes more wear and tear on the joints. And then a pause rep gives you the time under tension needed to grow. So a paused 3-second rep would be equal to two reps, or something like that. Do you agree with that or do you think or do you think you stole that from somebody? Serious question

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Right its like wearing straps. So if your hands are not big enough to hook grip.
You probably won't have enough grip strength to pull very heavy anyways.
But your thought on hook grip, if possible, would be better to learn from day one? Do you agree?
No I wouldn't agree with that as I know a lot of women that can deadlift +200kg
The purpose of the different grips is to stop the bar from rolling. That's what mixed grip does and what hook grip does
With sumo deadlifts, the bar can swing a bit with mixed grip so hook grip might work better. For conventional deadlifts the difference is very small

Hook grip will also kill the nerves in your fingers after a few years
Most people should just use straps unless they compete, in my opinion

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also he recommends paused reps for older people. Thoughts being that more reps causes more wear and tear on the joints. And then a pause rep gives you the time under tension needed to grow. So a paused 3-second rep would be equal to two reps, or something like that. Do you agree with that or do you think or do you think you stole that from somebody? Serious question
I call it bullsh1t. Keeping the tension 3 sec. under weight = 3 sec. stress on elbows (joints). What would be beneficial about it?

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No I wouldn't agree with that as I know a lot of women that can deadlift +200kg
The purpose of the different grips is to stop the bar from rolling. That's what mixed grip does and what hook grip does
With sumo deadlifts, the bar can swing a bit with mixed grip so hook grip might work better. For conventional deadlifts the difference is very small

Hook grip will also kill the nerves in your fingers after a few years
Most people should just use straps unless they compete, in my opinion
THANK YOU that felt good. Wish we could have done this the whole time.

Didn't think about females. Not sure he thought about females either.

I think its worth it to try it. That extra inch can make a huge difference.
Also your dead on about sumo. Hook grip and sumo have synergy.
I've been messing with hook grip for 6 months. Its cool. I'm 6 foot 2 so I need that extra inch.
I got a bunch more I want to run down but so much time was wasted today.
Maybe next time I watch his video ill see what advice I think is good and post it on here and see what you guys think

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I call it bullsh1t. Keeping the tension 3 sec. under weight = 3 sec. stress on elbows (joints). What would be beneficial about it?
But the joint isn't being grinded 3 times just once right?

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And we know paused reps are harder.
And I'm not sure I agree with the theory or not. I thought it was interesting.
So for instance, the squat.
You drop to the hole and pause for 5 seconds. You do 4 reps like that with a weight you could normally hit 8 xs.
That minus 4 times you would have to hinge during the squat.
Not sure. HG your sure its BS?