Optimum 100% Whey Gold Standard

beric83

Awards
Sorry if this is old news but I just noticed they jacked up their prices. I used to be able to get a 5lb tub for less than $25.
When did this happen?
And are many of you switching to other companies?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
All protein is going up in prices due to a shortage of milk.

musclemilk40

Banned
Awards
has nothing to do with milk

Are you having a hard time finding milk in the local grocery store? Is there some big milk shortage all of cnbc, cnn or fox news that i have'nt heard about??

First off, whey comes from cheese, its a by product of cheese. Basically worthless, used to throw it away until someone figured out they could make some $$$$ repackaging it. The problem is, International demand has risen dramatically, and no, not for bodybuilders, for "livestock feed".

Boycott whey protein my brothers, go back to EGG, the real protein. Your wallet and you physique will thank you for it. You'll be harder and more dense than ever and you'll have some change to take your girl out for a bite to eat.

out

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Boycott whey protein my brothers, go back to EGG, the real protein. Your wallet and you physique will thank you for it. You'll be harder and more dense than ever and you'll have some change to take your girl out for a bite to eat.

out
I love eggs and egg protein, but egg protein is damn expensive in powdered form.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Egg protein is around $30 for 2 lbs. I can find 5 lbs of whey for close to that price.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
a drought in new zealand is affecting the production of corn crops used as cattle feed, less food for the the cows=less milk production=less whey byproduct=increase in cost for manufactures and is why we have to pay more.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Yah, the price on ON's Pro Complex now is KILLING my wallet.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Egg protein is around $30 for 2 lbs. I can find 5 lbs of whey for close to that price.
It's weird because at TP the prices per pound are:
egg white protein = $10.79
WPI cold-filtered = $9.29
WPI micro-filtered = $9.59
WPI ion = $9.89
WPC = $5.89

So egg is almost double WPC, but barely more expensive than WPI. But yet egg products cost at least 2-3x more than whey mixes containing mostly WPI. What am I missing here?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Q: What is whey protein?

A: Whey protein is a high quality protein powder from cow's milk. Milk has two proteins: Casein (approximately 80%) and Whey Protein (approximately 20%). Whey protein is more soluble than casein and also has a higher quality rating. It is often referred to as the "Gold Standard" of protein as it is the most nutritious protein available.

Q: How is whey protein made?

A: Whey protein is a co-product of the cheese making process. Listed below is a brief description of the steps involved in making BiPro pure whey protein isolate.
Fresh milk is tested, approved by Quality Assurance experts and pasteurized.
The casein, or "curd", and a portion of the milk-fat are separated out to make cheese.
The remaining liquid whey goes through a series of fine, specialty filters to separate the whey protein from the lactose and other ingredients in the liquid whey.
Concentrated liquid whey enters an ion exchange tower to further concentrate and purify the whey protein. Ion exchange is a gentle process and does not denature, or "break down", the whey protein.
Next, the product enters a drying tower to remove water.
The final step is to package the pure whey protein isolate powder into various size containers for use.

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

out
Yeah but she'll kill me!!!! The sulphur from the eggs, oh sooooo bad when it is released.:toofunny: I bought some protein that was primarily egg and she couldn't stand the gas, she threw it out when I was sleeping.

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
P5sky, What man would date a woman who did not appreciate a good ole Dutchoven? Get her a dog and tell her he did it.

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
P5sky, What man would date a woman who did not appreciate a good ole Dutchoven? Get her a dog and tell her he did it.
Dont worry, she married me . . . she just gets extremely grossed out when I roll around in it (the gas) like a dog. Plenty of dutch ovens in the past, plenty more in the future . . .:toofunny:

joebo

joebo

Awards
  • Established
Maybe its just me, but I haven't paid anymore for protein then I have in the past, but then again I typically buy whats on sale. I use plenty to not worry about what brand name is on it. One place I normally order has had EAS for 23.99 for the past couple months. I have bought Ultimate for 19.99. Sure they may be some that are a bit better than others, but you will prob not notice a difference in what you get out of it. I seek out the sales and buy when things are cheap.

joebo

joebo

Awards
  • Established
BJ's consistently has EAS and Designer Whey for 26.99 as well. I'm sure Sam's club has protein as well.

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
you can actually get ON's for 20 which is still pricey but not horribly bad. 32 for 5 lbs of ON's whey or 50 for 5lbs of egg. at 50 for 5lbs of egg i dont really see the point in buying pro complex at 43 for 4.4lbs

musclemilk40

Banned
Awards
The price going to continue too rise

Obviously EGG is more expensive, its a better protein "de da deeee" Anyways, look guys, keep buying the nasty ass whey protein, it make you soft, i dont care. Trust me, before the year is out, whey will be more expensive than EGG and can anyone tell me that whey is higher quality than EGG?

im out