Opinions & Inputs on 2nd round of HST

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
Ive recently finished my first go round of HST and I must say I was quite impressed with how it worked out for me. I feel like my back definitely got bigger and my bench went up extremely easily. However, the first workout after finishing HST I pushed a little to far and hurt my shoulder pretty good. Now Im taking at least a weeks break to nurse it back to being able to lift again.

The reason for my post should be obvious from the title. So here's what I came up with today. And please cut me some slack if it looks terrible cause Im still trying to get the hang of setting up my workouts. Anyways, workouts are as follows and are NOT in any specific order.

Squats
SLDL
Preacher Curls
Close Grip Bench
Hammer Strength Low-High Rows
Bent Over Rows
Rear Delt Raises
Flat Bench
Incline Bench
Standing Calf Raises
Deadlifts
Decline Sit-ups w/ resistance band

-------------------------------------------------------------------

This is how my first HST was set up.

Flat Bench
Bent Over Rows
Incline Bench
Seated Rows
SLDL
Squats
Rear Delt Raises
Deadlifts
Seated Calf Raises
Straight Bar Curls
Various Tricep work (I never really chose one single lift for all 6 weeks :dunno:
Various Ab Work
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to incorporate as many compound movements as I could think of and am planning on keeping my weaker lifts towards the beginning of the workouts with the stronger at the end.

I would like some input as to what you guys around here think of this set up cause I know there are numerous people here who's knowledge about training is far superior to mine and Im always down for learning something new.

Thanks

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
i would opt for barbell curls and dips for arms...but i like close grip bench too

and flat DB bench with incline barbell for your two chest movements.

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
i would opt for barbell curls and dips for arms...but i like close grip bench tooand flat DB bench with incline barbell for your two chest movements.
I love Straight bar curls but I want something different than my previous run. I may use a straight bar for the preachers if it'll fit. My gym is pretty crowded in that area.As for dips, were you referring to parallel dips or bench dips. Cause I can't really do the former cause of my shoulder and bench dips require too many plates to be safe. Needless to say I'll prolly stick with close grip bench. Thanks for the input though. It's appreciated :)

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
To add to my Previous post... I will definitely switch up the flat bench to flat DB press. Good call.
Thanks

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
understandable.

my elbows/shoulders are all tweaked from softball.

Close grip is not a bad movement at all. You could also consider reverse grip bench to focus on tri's.

i love flat bar preachers as well.

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
You're right. I forgot about reverse bench. Thats destroys tris if you do em right. What do you think the best order would be? I'm thinking the Order will be close to as follows unless anyone has any suggestions.

SLDL
HS low-high rows
Flat bench
Straight bar preacher curls
Incline bench
Bent over rows
Close grip bench
Deadlifts
Standing calf raises
Squats
Resistance banded decline sit-ups

Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
I plan on finding my rep maxes hopefully this week as long as my shoulder holds up. I haven't touched a weight in almost over 2 weeks :-(I find myself sleeping till I go to work almost everyday last 2 week since im not lifting. Besides that, Ive noticed if I eat a healthy post workout meal I tend to eat considerably cleaner throughout the rest of the day.... Anyone else ever notice that?Last thing, does the last order of lifts in my previous posts sound ok??

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
oSo I attempted to find my 15 rep maxes today as scheduled.....but even before I could complete 15 warm up reps with just the bar on flat bench, my shoulder was already aching. Upon attempting 135 it hurt to the point of making me physically angry so I ended up walking outta the gym with a terrible attitude.

I honestly dont know exactly what the downfall turning point with this injury was cause my shoulder's been bothersome since about '07 but the past month has been absolutely ridiculous. I wrenched my upper back on the same side as my bad shoulder during the 2nd to last workout of my first HST run. I let it rest for 2 days and I finished that run very well. However, the 2 days after that back injury there were several times my shoulder hurt so bad I couldn't even lift my elbow to my head. Those pains only lasted for 2 or 3 days post back wrenching.

The week after my final HST workout I wanted a huge chest pump so I went at it thinking I was as healthy as I was prior to hurting my back.

BIG MISTAKE!!!

After a few sets of incline in which I touched the bar to my chest every rep I was hurting. But nothing unusual. After a few sets of resistance band chest flyes and some HS chest press I headed home cause I could feel my shoulder getting worse.

Later that days the pain set in and has yet to let up. It hurts on the anterolateral aspect of my left deltoid and I get frequent loud, but painless pops near my AC joint. Before all this it wasnt so much a pain as much as it just felt like extreme fatigue would set in almost instantly when I would do any number of upper body pressing movements. Now however, it is most definitely pain I feel when I raise my arms in an upright rowing motion or pretty much any pressing movements.
Anyone ever experience anything like this???

I have an appt set for July 19th for a deep tissue massage of my shoulder to see if it might be a nasty knot that could maybe be rubbed out. I also called a well known local orthopedist for an appt but failed to get through. Will try again tomorrow. Im gonna let him check me out and if he thinks its just bad inflammation, I'll see if I can get a cortisone injection.

Anybody have any other ideas or opinions??? Im getting to the point of total frustration with this. I havent been able to lift for over 2 1/2 weeks and Im going crazy!!!

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
oSo I attempted to find my 15 rep maxes today as scheduled.....but even before I could complete 15 warm up reps with just the bar on flat bench, my shoulder was already aching. Upon attempting 135 it hurt to the point of making me physically angry so I ended up walking outta the gym with a terrible attitude.

I honestly dont know exactly what the downfall turning point with this injury was cause my shoulder's been bothersome since about '07 but the past month has been absolutely ridiculous. I wrenched my upper back on the same side as my bad shoulder during the 2nd to last workout of my first HST run. I let it rest for 2 days and I finished that run very well. However, the 2 days after that back injury there were several times my shoulder hurt so bad I couldn't even lift my elbow to my head. Those pains only lasted for 2 or 3 days post back wrenching.

The week after my final HST workout I wanted a huge chest pump so I went at it thinking I was as healthy as I was prior to hurting my back.

BIG MISTAKE!!!

After a few sets of incline in which I touched the bar to my chest every rep I was hurting. But nothing unusual. After a few sets of resistance band chest flyes and some HS chest press I headed home cause I could feel my shoulder getting worse.

Later that days the pain set in and has yet to let up. It hurts on the anterolateral aspect of my left deltoid and I get frequent loud, but painless pops near my AC joint. Before all this it wasnt so much a pain as much as it just felt like extreme fatigue would set in almost instantly when I would do any number of upper body pressing movements. Now however, it is most definitely pain I feel when I raise my arms in an upright rowing motion or pretty much any pressing movements.
Anyone ever experience anything like this???

I have an appt set for July 19th for a deep tissue massage of my shoulder to see if it might be a nasty knot that could maybe be rubbed out. I also called a well known local orthopedist for an appt but failed to get through. Will try again tomorrow. Im gonna let him check me out and if he thinks its just bad inflammation, I'll see if I can get a cortisone injection.

Anybody have any other ideas or opinions??? Im getting to the point of total frustration with this. I havent been able to lift for over 2 1/2 weeks and Im going crazy!!!

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
throw flat benches in the trash bro. nt saying they arent great but some people just arent structurally built to do them. i havent flat benched in years with a bar. go heavy dbells or hammer so that you can alter hand/shoulder angle. just my .02

TheBreeze

TheBreeze

Awards
  • Established
throw flat benches in the trash bro. nt saying they arent great but some people just arent structurally built to do them. i havent flat benched in years with a bar. go heavy dbells or hammer so that you can alter hand/shoulder angle. just my .02
Thanks for the pointer, but after a few more days of rest I completed a weak, but successful workout to find my 15 rep maxes. I managed to get through flat bench ok but also gave flat DBs a whirl...that ended before it began. My shoulder just couldnt handle the DB's worth a crap so I ditched em. Flat bench went alright tho.

Gonna try to find some 5 and 10 rep maxes tomorrow hopefully.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks