Omega 3 besides fish oil?

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
For some reason I cannot tolerate fish oil very well no matter what form. Stomach discomfort and burping. I have tried the best kind as well. Any other good forms of omega 3 to take daily. Prefer a liquid or something besides a pill. I do eat plenty of fish however it’s hard to eat as much as I need daily.

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
krill oil, or, just consume a solid amount of fish in your diet...if you don't want to do fish you can do flax seed / seed oil; chia seeds; ground flax seeds; walnuts or hemp seeds

baldwanus

baldwanus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Might be misremembering... but could have sworn I saw @sns8778 mention he uses Nature's Way algae oil for his omega 3's.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Eat fish

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
For some reason I cannot tolerate fish oil very well no matter what form. Stomach discomfort and burping. I have tried the best kind as well. Any other good forms of omega 3 to take daily. Prefer a liquid or something besides a pill. I do eat plenty of fish however it’s hard to eat as much as I need daily.
I put ground flaxseed which has omega3s in my oatmeal or cream of wheat. You can try that and it has fiber in it as well.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I put ground flax and chia seeds in my overnight oats. You can buy omega enhanced milks like omega 3 fairlife milk. Omega 3 eggs, wallnuts.

For vegetables, kale, Brussels a d spinach are high in omega.

I'm not a fan of vegetable oil but canola has omega 3

Grass finished beef has more omega 3 then other ones.

Make sure its grass finished, grass fed just means they ate grass till 6months old or something. Grass finished means they grazed there whole life.

Finally you can look into vegan friendly omega 3 supplements because they don't contain fish, it's all plant based omega 3's

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Eat fish !

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think I need to bump up my omega. I take 750mg epa/dha daily, but anymore then that gives me side effects. Waiting for @sns8778 to confirm which algae oil he takes.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
That is a lot more of a common problem with fish oil in general that gets discussed on here.

I cannot use regular fish oil for the same reason. For a long time, I would try to make myself take NOW Foods Enteric Coated Fish Oil and that was better than regular fish oil, but it still hurt my stomach and caused and I just wasn't able to be consistent with it.

Nature's Way makes a really good Algal/Algae Omega 3 supplement.

I cannot find the liquid form on their website; I hate to link to Amazon but its the only place I can find it to show the supplement facts for it:

There are some other brands that make products like this, but if you look closely, the EPA/DHA content is normally less and I'm very picky about what brands I trust and I do trust Nature's Way.

Might be misremembering... but could have sworn I saw @sns8778 mention he uses Nature's Way algae oil for his omega 3's.
Thank you for tagging me. I really do like the Nature's Way product and use both the softgels and the liquid.

Not everyone likes fish. And his reaction is to fish oil. So it's very likely he will have the same problem eating lots of fish.
Agreed. I never understand when people post the same thing over and over again and its like it ignores the question or intent of the thread. I personally hate fish and would just not take Omega's before I would eat fish; and as you said, even for people that can eat fish, they likely don't eat enough daily to get the amount of Omega's they would from supplementation.

I think I need to bump up my omega. I take 750mg epa/dha daily, but anymore then that gives me side effects. Waiting for @sns8778 to confirm which algae oil he takes.
I like Nature's Way the best because I trust the brand of them. I use their softgels and liquid because I've been trying to dose pretty high on it recently.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I've recently figured out that doses over 1g per day of epa/dha fish oil give me a full headache until I go to sleep for the night. Does this happen to anyone else? Would this likely happen with algae oil as well?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I've recently figured out that doses over 1g per day of epa/dha fish oil give me a full headache until I go to sleep for the night. Does this happen to anyone else? Would this likely happen with algae oil as well?
I aim for 3gm of epa/dha and no issues. Gotta be fair I don't get all three grams from fish oil. I try to use omega three eggs omega three enriched fairlife, I Don't eat much actual fish so I do use the fish oil to make up the difference. Going by the Label on the brand i'm currently using, it looks like i'm getting 2gm from supplemental fish oil and about 1gm ( Actually a little less than a gram) from my food for 2.7-3gm total

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I aim for 3gm of epa/dha and no issues. Gotta be fair I don't get all three grams from fish oil. I try to use omega three eggs omega three enriched fairlife, I Don't eat much actual fish so I do use the fish oil to make up the difference. Going by the Label on the brand i'm currently using, it looks like i'm getting 2gm from supplemental fish oil and about 1gm ( Actually a little less than a gram) from my food for 2.7-3gm total
I'll look into that fair life. I don't eat fish at all so the only quality efas I get are from fish oil caps and the tiny bit in cage free brown eggs.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Headaches aren't common with EPA/DHA and 1 gram isn't even really a high dose of them - so there is no way of knowing what is actually causing the headaches, whether it is the EPA/DHA or something else in the fish oil.

Algae oil is definitely easier on the stomach than fish oil for people that's stomachs bother them from fish oil.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Headaches aren't common with EPA/DHA and 1 gram isn't even really a high dose of them - so there is no way of knowing what is actually causing the headaches, whether it is the EPA/DHA or something else in the fish oil.

Algae oil is definitely easier on the stomach than fish oil for people that's stomachs bother them from fish oil.
Well, NOW Foods fish oil, Ocean Blue 2100, and Nordic Naturals fish oil all do it. Pretty frustrating.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Well, NOW Foods fish oil, Ocean Blue 2100, and Nordic Naturals fish oil all do it. Pretty frustrating.
I'm sure it is frustrating - Fish Oil hurts my stomach and I hate the taste of fish, that's why I take Algae Oil myself.

All 3 you listed are fish oil, so what I said applies to all three of them in that you have no way of knowing if it is the EPA/DHA itself that is causing the headaches or some other constituent in the fish oil. The only way you can possibly know is to try EPA/DHA from another source and see if it does the same thing.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm sure it is frustrating - Fish Oil hurts my stomach and I hate the taste of fish, that's why I take Algae Oil myself.

All 3 you listed are fish oil, so what I said applies to all three of them in that you have no way of knowing if it is the EPA/DHA itself that is causing the headaches or some other constituent in the fish oil. The only way you can possibly know is to try EPA/DHA from another source and see if it does the same thing.
Oh i see what your saying now. I'll try algae oil.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Blood thinning?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm very similar. I try to go for omega3 enriched eggs, milk, ground flaxseed and supplement with fish oil. I eat salmon about 1 or 2 times per week and that's my only fish I get.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Finally ordered algae oil, Nordic naturals. Epa/dha 585mg per 2 softgels, and slightly heavier on the dha.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Finally ordered algae oil, Nordic naturals. Epa/dha 585mg per 2 softgels, and slightly heavier on the dha.
Algae Oil has a higher ratio of DHA to EPA than fish oil; which a lot of people like.

I haven't tried that brand, but I've heard good things about them.

With my food allergies and trust issues from working in the industry haha, once I find a brand of something I like and respond well to, I rarely change. NOW Foods and Nature's Way are my normal go to's for basics, and NOW doesn't make an Algae oil so I've stuck with Nature's Way.

But I have heard good things about Nordic. I hope that you'll like it.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Algae Oil has a higher ratio of DHA to EPA than fish oil; which a lot of people like.

I haven't tried that brand, but I've heard good things about them.

With my food allergies and trust issues from working in the industry haha, once I find a brand of something I like and respond well to, I rarely change. NOW Foods and Nature's Way are my normal go to's for basics, and NOW doesn't make an Algae oil so I've stuck with Nature's Way.

But I have heard good things about Nordic. I hope that you'll like it.
Geez Louise...day 1 with algae oil received the all too familiar headache. Ugh.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Geez Louise...day 1 with algae oil received the all too familiar headache. Ugh.
I'm sorry to hear that.

I can't speak on the brand that you're trying because its different than the one that I use, but assuming it is what its supposed to be, then it seems like your response may be to either the EPA or DHA itself then.

For me, I use 4 softgels of the Natures Way one daily and don't have any negatives at all with it.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm sorry to hear that.

I can't speak on the brand that you're trying because its different than the one that I use, but assuming it is what its supposed to be, then it seems like your response may be to either the EPA or DHA itself then.

For me, I use 4 softgels of the Natures Way one daily and don't have any negatives at all with it.
It's frustrating because I know I need it...I don't eat any fish. All my fat comes from eggs, chicken and beef, none of which is grass-fed or whatever.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
It's frustrating because I know I need it...I don't eat any fish. All my fat comes from eggs, chicken and beef, none of which is grass-fed or whatever.
I don't eat fish myself and fish oil bothers my stomach and that's why I started on the Algae Oil.

I'm always very cautious and specific with the brands I use of anything, so I can't speak for the one you're taking other than to say I've heard good things about them but never used them, because my go to's for things like this are always NOW Foods (they don't have one of these) and Nature's Way.

Your experience with headaches with EPA/DHA is interesting and odd because there are numerous studies showing that EPA/DHA supplementation can reduce the severity and number of occurrences of severe headaches. But, everyone may respond different to different things.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I don't eat any fish.
I might have missed it, does fish not sit well with you?
I've been eating a lot of black cod lately which I believe is one of the most nutrient dense options there are. it doesn't cook up nearly as dry as halibut but it's sure damn good with some butter, garlic, salt n peppa, and some lemon

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I might have missed it, does fish not sit well with you?
I've been eating a lot of black cod lately which I believe is one of the most nutrient dense options there are. it doesn't cook up nearly as dry as halibut but it's sure damn good with some butter, garlic, salt n peppa, and some lemon
It gives me a headache every time I take it. Black cod sounds complicated lol

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don't eat fish myself and fish oil bothers my stomach and that's why I started on the Algae Oil.

I'm always very cautious and specific with the brands I use of anything, so I can't speak for the one you're taking other than to say I've heard good things about them but never used them, because my go to's for things like this are always NOW Foods (they don't have one of these) and Nature's Way.

Your experience with headaches with EPA/DHA is interesting and odd because there are numerous studies showing that EPA/DHA supplementation can reduce the severity and number of occurrences of severe headaches. But, everyone may respond different to different things.
Maybe it's lowering cortisol or norepinephrine too much?

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Maybe it's lowering cortisol or norepinephrine too much?
That honestly seems impossible to happen as fast as you say that you have a headache from it.

You said that happens the same day, correct?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That honestly seems impossible to happen as fast as you say that you have a headache from it.

You said that happens the same day, correct?
Yeah, always same day and yeah, I would've figured it would be too fast for one of those, but I also feel like the way I respond to all this junk is ridiculous lol

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yeah, always same day and yeah, I would've figured it would be too fast for one of those, but I also feel like the way I respond to all this junk is ridiculous lol
Just because you can't take something or respond differently to it, that doesn't mean that its junk and that other people don't get benefits from it. I have things that I don't respond to or respond differently to myself, but that doesn't mean that they may not work great for other people.

I do not think that its one of the pathways that you mentioned because EPA/DHA isn't going to effect those pathways fast enough and to enough of a degree to influence them that quickly. I think its more likely that you have a sensitivity to EPA/DHA itself.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What about pentadecanoic acid?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Just because you can't take something or respond differently to it, that doesn't mean that its junk and that other people don't get benefits from it. I have things that I don't respond to or respond differently to myself, but that doesn't mean that they may not work great for other people.

I do not think that its one of the pathways that you mentioned because EPA/DHA isn't going to effect those pathways fast enough and to enough of a degree to influence them that quickly. I think its more likely that you have a sensitivity to EPA/DHA itself.
I didn't mean junk as in the supplements are actually Junk...I was referring to just everything that gives me side effects which is basically everything these days.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It gives me a headache every time I take it. Black cod sounds complicated lol
my brother has a buddy in AK who fishes so we come into a LOT of very fresh fish by bulk and tend to do these 20 or 40lb purchases at a time and stock it in the freezer. My wife likes halibut, and I don't cause it's sorta dry and boring to me. I like the cod, and she doesn't, cause it's too fatty like a super fatty ribeye... so it works well I eat the less expensive fish and make her a halibut and dinner cost like half what it would if we both had a halibut lol.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I didn't mean junk as in the supplements are actually Junk...I was referring to just everything that gives me side effects which is basically everything these days.
Gotcha, I think it was the way you phrased it through me off.

You do seem to react a lot differently to most things than most people.

I react differently to some things myself, but I've had good success on Algae Oil from Nature's Way. I don't get any of the side effects from it that I got from Fish Oil. And which 99% of people can take fish oil fine anyway, it just bothers my stomach and acid reflux, even the good enteric coated ones.