Oats deplete testosterone?

Kata1yst

Awards
Hey everyone,

So I've been eating a lot of oats lately (about 3 cups/day) and that may not be much to some people but its more than I'm used to. Anyways, I noticed that Oats help remove cholesterol and as many of us know, cholesterol raises testosterone by converting to DHEA, Andro, then Test.

My question: How much is too much for someone wanting to keep test. high? Has there been a study on this?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I doubt that they will deplete cholesterol that much and you should also be consuming cholesterol and saturated fats. That much oats per day may cause hypercortisolemia, but not hypocholesterolemia.

Kata1yst

Awards
I doubt that they will deplete cholesterol that much and you should also be consuming cholesterol and saturated fats. That much oats per day may cause hypercortisolemia, but not hypocholesterolemia.
Hypercortisolemia? that's not good...what limit should I put on daily oat consumption. Its very easy to throw some in my protein shake and head out in the morning, snack during the day, and after workouts w/ dextrose. That's why I've been consuming more than usual

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Cushing's disease?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cushing's disease?
Technically, yes, but not due to an adenoma. It is usually due to low-grade metabolic acidosis from a highly acidic diet. Oats is one of the most acidic foods in a typical BBer diet (as is brown rice). This is another reason why it is so important to consume 5-8 servings of produce; they help to buffer this potential acidosis.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Thank you for the comment Rodja. Upon further investigation for my own sake (I eat a lot of oats,) I found an article that included in it a list of common acidic and basic foods.

http://nodiets.wordpress.com/2007/03/12/veggies-with-every-meal/

It looks like raisins(-21.0) and spinach(-14.0) are the best foods to counteract acidity.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thank you for the comment Rodja. Upon further investigation for my own sake (I eat a lot of oats,) I found an article that included in it a list of common acidic and basic foods.

http://nodiets.wordpress.com/2007/03/12/veggies-with-every-meal/

It looks like raisins(-21.0) and spinach(-14.0) are the best foods to counteract acidity.
This is one of the main reasons that my sources of complex carbs are Basmati rice and potatoes-acidity. The rice is very low and the potatoes are actually alkalinic.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
I eat my oats with almonds and raisins to avoid the heart burn it causes me.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
so all in all oats arent going to lower test but cause a flux in acid??? this aint too good i have like 2 cups of oats ED at least along with many other complex carbs.... looks like ill be getting some raisins for snacks.

drewh10987

drewh10987

Awards
  • Established
This sucks. I easily eat 3 or 4 cups of oats a day.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not to negate Rodja's comments, as they are valid, but he was stating worse case scenarios, in my humble opinion. I have never been much of a proponent of Alkyline/Acidity metabolic diets, but that is merely my stance.

His warning was simply that over representation of this particular dietary element possibly leading to a condition characterized by a lack of base in the bloodstream.

Though, I would definitely agree on his thoughts on produce.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
And to add my personal experience, I have consumed 4-5 cups of Oats a day for pragmatic (money) reasons in the past, and had absolutely no issues whatsoever. I also had full metabolic panels run during that period, as I live in Canada, and, well, they are free.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
And to add my personal experience, I have consumed 4-5 cups of Oats a day for pragmatic (money) reasons in the past, and had absolutely no issues whatsoever. I also had full metabolic panels run during that period, as I live in Canada, and, well, they are free.
i envy you guys sometimes and then i hear bot all your customs issues ad say theres no way i could deal with that.... guess if you had a freind state side they could always repackage it for you and relabel it to send it across, but still i envy your guys health system.

whatastud08

whatastud08

Awards
  • Established
Add some fresh fruit to your oats. I usually throw blue, black, raspberries, bannas, and anything else I may have around. This helps with acidity.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
Your posts express a valid point, but that fact remains that a diet that is too acidic is bad for you, and it hurts.

If I ate 5 cups of oats without leaves/almonds/calcium I would be in a lot of pain.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I didn't know you were a fellow Canadian! And as a student, I've personally eaten atleast 100-200g of oats daily for about the past couple of years, always for breakfast and tossed in shakes and I haven't run into any problems. I don't know how you get those full metabolic panels though mullet, my docs are cheap and never want to run decent bloodwork. I have to keep prodding them, saying "and perhaps we should check out the this or that" lol. I do eat loads of veggies though (Carrots are only $1.50 for a 10lb bag :) )

Oh and I always have berries and flax with my oats (no flax around workouts tho)

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I didn't know you were a fellow Canadian! And as a student, I've personally eaten atleast 100-200g of oats daily for about the past couple of years, always for breakfast and tossed in shakes and I haven't run into any problems. I don't know how you get those full metabolic panels though mullet, my docs are cheap and never want to run decent bloodwork. I have to keep prodding them, saying "and perhaps we should check out the this or that" lol. I do eat loads of veggies though (Carrots are only $1.50 for a 10lb bag :) )

Oh and I always have berries and flax with my oats (no flax around workouts tho)
Really? I just tell my Doctor I'm very in-tune with my body and fitness oriented and he arranges them for me. I've never had an issue getting full panels.

Kata1yst

Awards
RaiZD in Toronto!!!

Anyways, this is what really gets me...I eat a bunch of brown rice and have been consuming Oats frequently for the past couple of years. My acid reflux got so bad that I had to go to the hospital this past summer for overnight stay. I was in lots of pain and they actually had to give me Morphine & Dilaudid for all the pain.

The b@stard doctors ask me what I eat and I told them, "lots of food, about 6-8 meals/day, brown rice, oats, pasta, chicken,..."

They couldn't tell me my diet was contributing to my acid reflux? Dumb doctors!!! All they gave my was some generic BS like, "Stay away from sports supplements"

Thanks for the info guys, I'll be mixing in more basmati in my diet while decreasing my intake of oats

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I just tell him it's to practice general health. They are refreshed with that sentiment usually.

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
Technically, yes, but not due to an adenoma. It is usually due to low-grade metabolic acidosis from a highly acidic diet. Oats is one of the most acidic foods in a typical BBer diet (as is brown rice). This is another reason why it is so important to consume 5-8 servings of produce; they help to buffer this potential acidosis.
Hmm that sucks because that's like my main source of carbs right there :blink:

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
RaiZD in Toronto!!!

Anyways, this is what really gets me...I eat a bunch of brown rice and have been consuming Oats frequently for the past couple of years. My acid reflux got so bad that I had to go to the hospital this past summer for overnight stay. I was in lots of pain and they actually had to give me Morphine & Dilaudid for all the pain.

The b@stard doctors ask me what I eat and I told them, "lots of food, about 6-8 meals/day, brown rice, oats, pasta, chicken,..."

They couldn't tell me my diet was contributing to my acid reflux? Dumb doctors!!! All they gave my was some generic BS like, "Stay away from sports supplements"

Thanks for the info guys, I'll be mixing in more basmati in my diet while decreasing my intake of oats
Most doctors don't know crap about nutrition.

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I also had full metabolic panels run during that period, as I live in Canada, and, well, they are free.
That, my friend, is what I call luxury. America has got it all messed up. Reminds me of Lewis Black...."There are countries that may be giving sh*t away every day!"
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mCDZMWVWuc"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]
Add some fresh fruit to your oats. I usually throw blue, black, raspberries, bannas, and anything else I may have around. This helps with acidity.
Great advice. Cinnamon is also a great addition to oatmeal.

Kata1yst

Awards
Most doctors don't know crap about nutrition.
Yeah, it pisses me off. They also have the nerve to slap you with a $2400 hospital charge. What did they do? Administer morphine and then send you home. News flash, that **** runs $10-20 bucks on the street.

MattRoeske

MattRoeske

Awards
  • Established
Lol

I think you'll be okay with your oatmeal: I eat 7-8 Cups a day of Whole grain oatmeal and I've been if anything getting stronger and stronger.

Best Recipe:
2-3 Cups of wholegrain Oats
3Tbsp of Vanilla Non_Fat Yogurt
1Tbsp PB
1Tbsp Cinnamon
1-2Tbsp of Honey

Call it the power oatmeal ^_^
:clean:

rockstar6181

Awards
i go through about 400g of oats a day without any problems, a friend however has been getting lots of heartburn recently and has just been using oats recently so it looks like it could be that