New Mood (Onnit)

ikeNball

ikeNball

Awards
  • Established
Have you guys tried this for rest/recovery?

What else do you use?

I've experimented (mixed results) with:

Ashwaghanda
Z3
Melatonin
Glycine
L-theanine
5-HTP

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
What are your results?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In general, I believe Onnit products are underdosed and aimed at users that are less experienced with supplements. Almost like a stepping stone to the majors.

That being said, this is the only product they produce that actually looks to be dosed properly and with a good blend of ingredients to consume at the end of a stressful day. May be worth a shot.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In general, I believe Onnit products are underdosed and aimed at users that are less experienced with supplements. Almost like a stepping stone to the majors.

That being said, this is the only product they produce that actually looks to be dosed properly and with a good blend of ingredients to consume at the end of a stressful day. May be worth a shot.
Very well said about Onnit IMO. Not really a fan of the prop-blend it has, but I do find that tryptophan does help me fall asleep pretty well. I wouldn't say that this product would help with recovery per se, but I suppose if something helps you fall asleep faster and/or stay asleep, that can indirectly help with recovery. I do like ashwagandha, as it can help with stress/anxiety, as well as have performance and body composition benefits. OP, how did you use ashwagandha? What extract (KSM-66, Sensoril, etc), what dose, timing, and for how long?

josun

Awards
  • Established

Lol tru some of my friends try to tell me about how great onnit Is. I try to show them better stuff but they take one look at the label and say it looks stupid smh

feather319

feather319

Awards
I tried it and liked it but it is way overpriced. I got a free trial but cancelled immediately. I've tried almost all of the ingredients separately or in a stack on my own but wanted to try an all in one product. The tryptophan and 5-htp combo really makes you tired. Combined with the Valerian, it knocks you out. I have no grogginess in the morning with new mood like I do with most sleep products. The only thing I find with new mood is that if I have to get up to go to the bathroom, my head is heavy and it is hard to get up to go. Don't take this product unless you can devote at least 7 hours to sleep. I find I sleep at least 9 hours after taking new mood. I recommend new mood if you can afford it or as an occasional sleep aid.

New mood has magnesium and inositol, both of which help with stress and depression. The ingredients are way underdosed in this product. In my opinion, everyone should be taking magnesium glycinate daily.

Here is a stalk I recommend for sleep:
800-1200 mg magnesium glycinate bulk powder
Natural Calm magnesium citrate.
1 g inositol bulk powder
Gaia Herbs Ashwagandha Root (quality matters here)
2-5 grams bulk reishi mushroom
5-htp 50mg-100mg (start low. don't take long term)
tryptophan 500-1000mg (start low, don't take long term)

Optional additions that help with sleep:
melatonin
lemon balm
passion flower

I didn't find much luck using l-theanine unless I had too much caffeine late in the day. I've experimented with glycine but didn't see consistent results. I believe this was due to not taking away from other amino acids. Glycine needs to be taken away from other aminos for it to work properly.

One last note, two products I use occasionally for sleep and stress are Bach's rescue remedy and Hyland's Calm Forte. Don't ask me why, but they work!

ikeNball

ikeNball

Awards
  • Established
I tried it and liked it but it is way overpriced. I got a free trial but cancelled immediately. I've tried almost all of the ingredients separately or in a stack on my own but wanted to try an all in one product. The tryptophan and 5-htp combo really makes you tired. Combined with the Valerian, it knocks you out. I have no grogginess in the morning with new mood like I do with most sleep products. The only thing I find with new mood is that if I have to get up to go to the bathroom, my head is heavy and it is hard to get up to go. Don't take this product unless you can devote at least 7 hours to sleep. I find I sleep at least 9 hours after taking new mood. I recommend new mood if you can afford it or as an occasional sleep aid.

New mood has magnesium and inositol, both of which help with stress and depression. The ingredients are way underdosed in this product. In my opinion, everyone should be taking magnesium glycinate daily.

Here is a stalk I recommend for sleep:
800-1200 mg magnesium glycinate bulk powder
Natural Calm magnesium citrate.
1 g inositol bulk powder
Gaia Herbs Ashwagandha Root (quality matters here)
2-5 grams bulk reishi mushroom
5-htp 50mg-100mg (start low. don't take long term)
tryptophan 500-1000mg (start low, don't take long term)

Optional additions that help with sleep:
melatonin
lemon balm
passion flower

I didn't find much luck using l-theanine unless I had too much caffeine late in the day. I've experimented with glycine but didn't see consistent results. I believe this was due to not taking away from other amino acids. Glycine needs to be taken away from other aminos for it to work properly.

One last note, two products I use occasionally for sleep and stress are Bach's rescue remedy and Hyland's Calm Forte. Don't ask me why, but they work!
Wow. Thank you.

I wish I had the "problem" of sleeping 7-9 hours after taking New Mood. It is definitely helping my sleep problems, but has yet to solve the issues completely.

I am going to try your stack.
I have never tried the magnesium glycinate,
Magnesium citrate, inositol, nor relishi mushroom.

Can I find all of those in bulk online. And how do you take them? Much thanks.

ikeNball

ikeNball

Awards
  • Established
Very well said about Onnit IMO. Not really a fan of the prop-blend it has, but I do find that tryptophan does help me fall asleep pretty well. I wouldn't say that this product would help with recovery per se, but I suppose if something helps you fall asleep faster and/or stay asleep, that can indirectly help with recovery. I do like ashwagandha, as it can help with stress/anxiety, as well as have performance and body composition benefits. OP, how did you use ashwagandha? What extract (KSM-66, Sensoril, etc), what dose, timing, and for how long?
I am apparently just a "basic bitch" when it comes to the ashwagandha (I forget the brand name, as I've just been getting the most moderately priced one from Sprouts).

I will invest in the Gaia brand, or another one that you experienced users suggest!

Thanks,

Ike

feather319

feather319

Awards
To take the bulk products, I usually just throw it in my mouth and swig with water. I've mixed it with water too but the powder sticks to the sides of the glass.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am apparently just a "basic bitch" when it comes to the ashwagandha (I forget the brand name, as I've just been getting the most moderately priced one from Sprouts).

I will invest in the Gaia brand, or another one that you experienced users suggest!

Thanks,

Ike
I wouldn't bother with gaia since it seems to be a root powder. Go with a name brand like KSM 66. We use KSM 66 in our product Erase pro + and its an excellent addition.