Anyone take saffron extract for mood improvement?

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hello, does anyone here take saffron extract to improve mood or reduce depression/anxiety/stress?
I read here that taking 30mg of saffron extract for 8 weeks showed a remarkable improvement.

"Participants who received the saffron extract reported reduced depression scores and improved social relationships at the end of the study. Urinary crocetin levels increased significantly with saffron supplementation and were correlated with change in depression scores. The typical stress-induced decrease in heart rate variability (HRV) during exposure to the stressor was attenuated following acute saffron intake. Saffron extract appears to improve subclinical depressive symptoms in healthy individuals and may contribute to increased resilience against the development of stress-related psychiatric disorders."

link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7882499/

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I have not but we use saffron a lot at my uncle's restaurant. Quality saffron is very expensive, between $60-100 per oz, I see these products selling for like $30 a bottle which leave me to believe they are very low quality products so I've never gave them a second look

ZOO

ZOO

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have not but we use saffron a lot at my uncle's restaurant. Quality saffron is very expensive, between $60-100 per oz, I see these products selling for like $30 a bottle which leave me to believe they are very low quality products so I've never gave them a second look
Sounds like we need to make friends with your uncle. Both for the saffron and some great food. Off topic but what does he specialize in?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Sounds like we need to make friends with your uncle. Both for the saffron and some great food. Off topic but what does he specialize in?
Italian food, but my cousin makes a lot of dishes for specials that are not Italian.

The most common thing we use the saffron for is the risotto

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Figures. Everything good and/or effective is out of one's price range 😢💸
What about Nootropics Depot Saffron? They are usually pretty legit. And a 60 capsule bottle is only $23.
High Potency Saffron Extract Capsules | 30mg | Minimum 7.5% Crocins and 1% Safranals | Crocus sativus

Reactions: ZOO
ZOO

ZOO

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Italian food, but my cousin makes a lot of dishes for specials that are not Italian.

The most common thing we use the saffron for is the risotto
About to ditch my diet and head on a road trip. **** sounds bomb, bro.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
What about Nootropics Depot Saffron? They are usually pretty legit. And a 60 capsule bottle is only $23.
High Potency Saffron Extract Capsules | 30mg | Minimum 7.5% Crocins and 1% Safranals | Crocus sativus
Idk anything about any of the products. I just know how expensive the stuff is, I would have to do the math. But then again. Maybe a big company buying in bulk would get a really good price

Ziyo

Ziyo

Awards
  • Established
Affron extract is probably the best you can get and I believe the studies were done with it..
I’ve tried it and really noticed improvement in my anxiety and sleep.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used the ND extract (have also tried the affron extract) for a few weeks. It worked great for improving mood. However, it also seemed to increase my anxiety. So, I had to stop taking it. That being said, the mood improvements were significant enough that I'll likely try it again in the future. Of the two extracts (ND and Affron), I liked the ND extract more.

Drakee

Drakee

Awards
  • Established
I was actually looking into trying some because of this study

"The neurobiological mechanisms that explain affron‘s antianhedonic effect and possible antidepressant effect have not been directly assessed yet. Regulation of mood was initially attributed to downregulations in monoamines, such as dopamine, serotonin or noradrenaline [67,68,69]. Whereas anhedonia is associated with low levels of dopamine, anxiety and depression appear to be more associated with the decreased activity of both serotonin and dopamine. The clear actions of affron® in the amelioration of anhedonia suggest a more potent action in the regulation of dopamine than serotonin or other monoamines. Indeed, regarding dopamine modulation, it has been proven that saffron affected monoamine oxidases MAO-A and MAO-B in the brain [68], and the administration of C. sativus and its constituents increased brain dopamine levels in a dose-dependent manner [68]. These effects of C. Sativus in dopamine, together with the modulation of the excitatory amino acid, glutamate, and interactions with the opioid system have been reported to reduce withdrawal syndrome and may contribute to the amelioration of behavioral symptoms observed here [68]."

The only two Id consider trying are ND's extract, or California Gold Nutrition affron Extract

Drakee

Drakee

Awards
  • Established
I used the ND extract (have also tried the affron extract) for a few weeks. It worked great for improving mood. However, it also seemed to increase my anxiety. So, I had to stop taking it. That being said, the mood improvements were significant enough that I'll likely try it again in the future. Of the two extracts (ND and Affron), I liked the ND extract more.
What brand affron did you try?
Affron is supposed to contain 2% safranals, while NDs is 1%

Drakee

Drakee

Awards
  • Established
ND is as legit as they come. Its very expensive why is why they only did 1% safranals

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What brand affron did you try?
Affron is supposed to contain 2% safranals, while NDs is 1%
I tried both Natural Factors and California Gold Nutrition. From what read, Affron is ≥3.5% safranal and crocin isomers, while the ND extract is greater than 7.5% crocin and 1% safranal. I'm unsure how crocin and safranal each contribute to the effects. However, if just looking at total percentage of standardized actives, it seems like ND is twice as strong...

Drakee

Drakee

Awards
  • Established
I tried both Natural Factors and California Gold Nutrition. From what read, Affron is ≥3.5% safranal and crocin isomers, while the ND extract is greater than 7.5% crocin and 1% safranal. I'm unsure how crocin and safranal each contribute to the effects. However, if just looking at total percentage of standardized actives, it seems like ND is twice as strong...
Not necessarily. safranal is the most difficult to get a high extract of. We dont know which part is more responsible for the positive benefits. Ive been doing some reasearch but havent found anything yet that breaks down which specific constituent does what. If crocin was mostly responsible then yes you could say its twice as strong. But I havent found any evidence yet.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not necessarily. safranal is the most difficult to get a high extract of. We dont know which part is more responsible for the positive benefits. Ive been doing some reasearch but havent found anything yet that breaks down which specific constituent does what. If crocin was mostly responsible then yes you could say its twice as strong. But I havent found any evidence yet.
I hadn't heard/read that safranal is the most difficult to obtain a high extract. I do agree that based on the studies I've read, it isn't clear which provide the most benefits (between crocin and safranal). I will say that subjectively, the ND extract feels "smoother" and isn't as stimulating at the Affron extract (while also providing a better mood boost). I'm just really looking forward to them finally releasing their new, patented bacopa extract. From the info they've teased, it sounds like it's going to be a very unique extract.

Drakee

Drakee

Awards
  • Established
I hadn't heard/read that safranal is the most difficult to obtain a high extract. I do agree that based on the studies I've read, it isn't clear which provide the most benefits (between crocin and safranal). I will say that subjectively, the ND extract feels "smoother" and isn't as stimulating at the Affron extract (while also providing a better mood boost). I'm just really looking forward to them finally releasing their new, patented bacopa extract. From the info they've teased, it sounds like it's going to be a very unique extract.
I like your anecdotes, havent found too many people that have tried NDs along with others, Ill keep that in mind. Possible that the safranal has more to do with the stimulating side? Do they last all day for you? Ill probably try the ND version just because I know I can trust them.

I am also excited for the extract! MYASD really opened my eyes as to how shitty the supplement industry is. I always wonder now how many of the supplements I've taken in the past 10 years actually had the exact ingredients listed

Drakee

Drakee

Awards
  • Established
I did some research and found this
on the ND website it says crocin is responsible for the serotonin reuptake inhibiton.

This says crocin is dopamine epinephrine reuptake inhibitor, while safranal via serotonin

https://www.actahort.org/books/650/650_54.htm

"On the basis of these results, the antidepressant effect of C. sativus stigma extracts may be mediated via safranal and crocin. Crocin may act via the uptake inhibition of dopamine and norepinephrine, and safranal via serotonin."

This one says the opposite, that safranal is responsible of the dopamine release-

https://scialert.net/fulltext/?doi=pjbs.2011.939.944#:~:text=As mentioned above, safranal can,the effect observed from safranal.

" As mentioned above, safranal can increase dopamine release in the rat brain (Shams et al., 2010) which may safranal may interact with morphine by such mechanism"

Then this study on affron which is 2% safranal and 3% crocin says

https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/25/14/3207/htm

"The clear actions of affron® in the amelioration of anhedonia suggest a more potent action in the regulation of dopamine than serotonin or other monoamines. Indeed, regarding dopamine modulation, it has been proven that saffron affected monoamine oxidases MAO-A and MAO-B in the brain"

which makes me think that safranal is more responsible for the dopamine effect, while crocin is responsible for serotonin.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
On a side note here, since dopamine is important for mood, if your using daily melatonin, I believe after a month it reduces dopamine by over 50%, ( correct me if I'm wrong) so in the process of fixing dopamine you may want to lay off melatonin and anything else that my have a similar action

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like your anecdotes, havent found too many people that have tried NDs along with others, Ill keep that in mind. Possible that the safranal has more to do with the stimulating side? Do they last all day for you? Ill probably try the ND version just because I know I can trust them.

I am also excited for the extract! MYASD really opened my eyes as to how shitty the supplement industry is. I always wonder now how many of the supplements I've taken in the past 10 years actually had the exact ingredients listed
The stimulation tended to last 8 or so hours (and it was a gradual decrease, not an abrupt tanking of energy).

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I did some research and found this
on the ND website it says crocin is responsible for the serotonin reuptake inhibiton.

This says crocin is dopamine epinephrine reuptake inhibitor, while safranal via serotonin

https://www.actahort.org/books/650/650_54.htm

"On the basis of these results, the antidepressant effect of C. sativus stigma extracts may be mediated via safranal and crocin. Crocin may act via the uptake inhibition of dopamine and norepinephrine, and safranal via serotonin."

This one says the opposite, that safranal is responsible of the dopamine release-

https://scialert.net/fulltext/?doi=pjbs.2011.939.944#:~:text=As mentioned above, safranal can,the effect observed from safranal.

" As mentioned above, safranal can increase dopamine release in the rat brain (Shams et al., 2010) which may safranal may interact with morphine by such mechanism"

Then this study on affron which is 2% safranal and 3% crocin says

https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/25/14/3207/htm

"The clear actions of affron® in the amelioration of anhedonia suggest a more potent action in the regulation of dopamine than serotonin or other monoamines. Indeed, regarding dopamine modulation, it has been proven that saffron affected monoamine oxidases MAO-A and MAO-B in the brain"

which makes me think that safranal is more responsible for the dopamine effect, while crocin is responsible for serotonin.
Great info! Thanks for posting it. As much as I love ND, I'm not sure I buy into their info on saffron. It doesn't feel like it increases serotonin to me at all and most of the studies I saw on saffron mention it primarily increases dopamine and glutamate (which is what every extract felt like to me). That being said, I'm sure the percent crocin and safranal impacts the effects. Also, I may just be very sensitive to the impacts on dopamine/glutamate such that even lower safranal percentages (like ND's) is still too stimulating for me. I don't know. It's really just one of those things where a person needs to try multiple, different extracts and see how they respond to each. The only one I was able to tolerate (anxiety-wise) was the garden of life product with saffron. However, it also included broad spectrum cbd and l-theanine...which decreased the stimulation but also seemed to reduce the mood benefits.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I bit the bullet and decided to get Horbaach Saffron extract. Took 1 cap the first day and felt calm and relaxed. Obviously placebo effect. Took a cap on day 2 after reading depressing news in the hopes of feeling better but ended up more moody and despondent. Third day I again took a cap but I still ended up feeling morose and melancholy.

I think this thing amplifies your feelings and doesn't really change anything. If you are already in a good mood you'll feel on cloud 9 but if you're down in the dumps, it will rub your face with poo.

N2ofusion

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’ve used 3-4 bottles of Hi-Tech’s saffron extract, on and off since 2018. Here’s what I’ve noticed:

1. Mood:
This comes and goes. I don’t know that I can quantify any real mood benefits. I’ve added it to pre workouts, taken mid day for the supposed appetite control, or before dinner, can’t really notice too much half the time. The other half I will find music more enjoyable and some very subtle boosts.

2. Alcohol:
I will say it amplifies alcohol - noticeably and consistently. One beer can feel like two. This effect has slightly decreased over time but it’s definitely still pronounced and NOT placebo. I discovered this by accident (on vacation and couldn’t resist ordering an IPA).

3. Lightheadedness:
Saffron can “control” blood sugar and seems to lower it. It can also make me lightheaded in the afternoon on an empty stomach- mildly. I can’t fast forever on saffron but I can normally.

4. Digestion
Seems to move things along for sure. Useful with foods that might get stuck. Moderate appetite control and always feel less full the morning after.

Conclusion :
I don’t notice mood elevation sober or with pre workout, but it adds something to alcohol for sure. It’s also a noticeable diet aid when used before meals.

All my feedback is based on one capsule of this:
(I’ve experimented with 2-3 caps and found it unnecessary)

Attachments

Drakee

Drakee

Awards
  • Established
Great info! Thanks for posting it. As much as I love ND, I'm not sure I buy into their info on saffron. It doesn't feel like it increases serotonin to me at all and most of the studies I saw on saffron mention it primarily increases dopamine and glutamate (which is what every extract felt like to me). That being said, I'm sure the percent crocin and safranal impacts the effects. Also, I may just be very sensitive to the impacts on dopamine/glutamate such that even lower safranal percentages (like ND's) is still too stimulating for me. I don't know. It's really just one of those things where a person needs to try multiple, different extracts and see how they respond to each. The only one I was able to tolerate (anxiety-wise) was the garden of life product with saffron. However, it also included broad spectrum cbd and l-theanine...which decreased the stimulation but also seemed to reduce the mood benefits.
so I took affron today, and I someone with adhd I definitely noticed the difference in dopamine it gave. It’s very subtle, more mental And only slight stimulation. If you’re just sitting down watching tv you prob wouldn’t notice.
A symptom of adhd is I have a difficult time finishing tasks no matter the size.
At first I thought it wasn’t going to do anything, so I started doing some things that I’ve been putting off for a while and man did I get in the zone and was finishing so many without distraction.
It’s like Adderall motivation without strong amphetamine stimulation. It’s very mental, so far at least. Hopefully it builds up and not just placebo lol

Drakee

Drakee

Awards
  • Established
I bit the bullet and decided to get Horbaach Saffron extract. Took 1 cap the first day and felt calm and relaxed. Obviously placebo effect. Took a cap on day 2 after reading depressing news in the hopes of feeling better but ended up more moody and despondent. Third day I again took a cap but I still ended up feeling morose and melancholy.

I think this thing amplifies your feelings and doesn't really change anything. If you are already in a good mood you'll feel on cloud 9 but if you're down in the dumps, it will rub your face with poo.
Ive tried horbaach other products and theyre good, I just dont know about their saffron since they dont disclose what percentage their safranal and crocin is.

Danes

Danes

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ive tried horbaach other products and theyre good, I just dont know about their saffron since they dont disclose what percentage their safranal and crocin is.
There is a swedish product containing Affron and KSM66. I use to take it prior bed and Its amazing

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There is a swedish product containing Affron and KSM66. I use to take it prior bed and Its amazing
Yeah, Solgar sells a product with 28 mg Affron Saffron and 600 mg KSM-66 Ashwagandha. My brother really likes it.

Ziyo

Ziyo

Awards
  • Established
I found Sensoril to be much better for sleep then KSM-66. Having said that I’ve used Affron with Sensoril and my sleep was phenomenal.

Danes

Danes

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I found Sensoril to be much better for sleep then KSM-66. Having said that I’ve used Affron with Sensoril and my sleep was phenomenal.
Thats good. What dose of KSM66 and Sensoril did you try?
I know Shoden (35% withanolides) is the strongest and most potent Ashwagandha you can find. Some.reporting amazing energy while some reporting sick sedative effect.

Ziyo

Ziyo

Awards
  • Established
Thats good. What dose of KSM66 and Sensoril did you try?
I know Shoden (35% withanolides) is the strongest and most potent Ashwagandha you can find. Some.reporting amazing energy while some reporting sick sedative effect.
I’ve used up to 600mg of KSM-66 and I have noticed more strength, energy and decreased stress levels generally, but it wasn’t doing much when taken prior to sleep. Sensoril I’ve used even as little as 125mg and it was really helpful for relaxing me prior to sleep (not sure if it did as much as ksm-66 in regards to other aspects).

Danes

Danes

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’ve used up to 600mg of KSM-66 and I have noticed more strength, energy and decreased stress levels generally, but it wasn’t doing much when taken prior to sleep. Sensoril I’ve used even as little as 125mg and it was really helpful for relaxing me prior to sleep (not sure if it did as much as ksm-66 in regards to other aspects).
If you can get some Shoden, I really recommend to try