Need a 2-3 day a week back to basics routine

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Any advice? I've been off the forum for quite awhile and haven't worked out in awhile either. I'm looking for something that doesn't have squats everyday though like how 5x5 does....

thanks everyone!

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Back to basics is really just concentrating on 3 areas -chest , back and legs rotating say mon wed fri.
legs could still include squats but it would be once a week and not ED You also would be working the other muscle groups once a week .
CHEST-Bench press; flyes ;incline bench and flyes ;dips and your pretty much covered.
BACK-deadlifts; dumbell rows;lat pull downs wide grip and narrow;pullups.
LEGS- squats ;leg press ; thigh extensions ;calve raises seated or stood
probably missed one or two others which would be worth considering but theres lots of info out there , just research .

the smaller muscle groups like biceps and triceps youre bringing into play when doing other exercises so its not important to train them specific , not only that your using energy which could be directed elsewhere.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
push/pull/legs ?
This is what I would do if I were wanting to do 3 days. There are so many splits out there, just pick one that looks good to you. The key is finding the right training volume.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Any specific reason for not squatting often? Also, don't forget posterior chain work for legs.

shizz702

shizz702

Awards
Push pull legs or Iron Addict's simple power based routine gets my vote.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
WSB4SB

westside barbell for skinny bastards. Easy 3 day template with plenty of potential.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
hey guys, reason for squats is my knees used to get over done really easily squatting 3 times a week. Thanks for the tips, Looking forward to getting back into it again.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
dude, im glad u wanna come back! come home from a&m and ill train with you! anyways, this is what i would do. my version of 5x5

Mon - Flat Bench, Squat, Row, Shoulder Press, Bicep Curl
Tues - OFF
Wed - Incline Bench, Deadlifts, Skull Crusher, Leg Press
Thurs - OFF
Friday - Flat Bench, Squat, Row, Shoulder Press, Bicep Curl

Then flip it the next week

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
5x5, replace squat with a leg exercise you enjoy. Even if that means you do curls and extensions.