HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Guys and Gals,
I've been seeing this ingredient, N-Methylpentyl-iminoglutaric acid, coming up in a number of fat loss supplements. No idea what it is, can't find anything by googling it except for supplements that contain it. Can anyone else tell me if there is some nomenclature trickery going on here? What is this ingredient?

It seems to be trademarked as "Panthergy" N-Methylpentyl-iminoglutaric acid.

Thanks!

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
believe this falls in the category of an Inhibitory neurotransmitters; which is used to increase your mood and provide balance
an excitatory neurotransmitters are used to stimulate the brain.

the one thing that is really throwing me off and i might be missing something is the 'Panthergy™: One of the most potent excitatory neurotransmitters in the brain. The ingredient helps to increase your mood, sense of well-being, and focus helping produce a euphoric feeling. "

if your increasing your mood, you are increasing your neuro transmitter which would then be inhibiting , right? you arent stimulating so how can this be a stimulant?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it is glutamic acid

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nice, thanks guys. So.....following standard supplement marketing, this will be good for 3 years, and then they will come out with the "salt of glutamic acid" has a higher bioavailability than just glutamic acid. So, in the end, Chinese food has me covered.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Go to ChemSpider, there are about 75 different nomenclatures - although this exact one isn't listed.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
this still doesn't answer the question

"the one thing that is really throwing me off and i might be missing something is the 'Panthergy™: One of the most potent excitatory neurotransmitters in the brain. The ingredient helps to increase your mood, sense of well-being, and focus helping produce a euphoric feeling. "

if your increasing your mood, you are increasing your neuro transmitter which would then be inhibiting , right? you arent stimulating so how can this be a stimulant? "

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm not sure I understand your question smith_69 - neurotransmitters aren't inhibitory by definition. I am less knowledgeable than Judo Josh or The_Old_Guy, so maybe they can explain better, but my guess is that Glutamic Acid activates glutamate receptors in the brain, like caffeine, and is stimulatory in nature.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
there is a product that does contain N-Methylpentyl-iminoglutaric acid - in the description it reads, "'Panthergy™: One of the most potent excitatory neurotransmitters in the brain. The ingredient helps to increase your mood, sense of well-being, and focus helping produce a euphoric feeling."

from what i understand, a excitatory neuro- are used to stimulate the brain.- the product claims that it increases the mood and sense of well being, which is done by Inhibitory neurotransmitters.

Josh- what in the hell am i missing here?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Electric potentials turn into nerve signals.
To generate a nerve signal (also known as "action potential"), you need to hit a threshold level of electric potentials.

Example (numbers are arbitrary, nowhere near physiological):

You have 8 neurons.
Neurons 1-7 are all individually connected to neuron 8.
Neuron 8 has 0 mV voltage across its membrane.
40 mV stimulate an action potential/nerve signal to fire from neuron 8. You need to drive the 0 mV up to 40 mV to make a nerve signal fire.
Neurons 1-5 release glutamate, an excitatory neurotransmitter. They drive the voltage of neuron 8 from 0 mV to 60 mV.
Neurons 6-7 release GABA, an inhibitory neurotransmitter. They reduce the voltage difference from 60 mV to 30 mV.
Neuron 8 is at 30 mV. It doesn't reach 40 mV and it doesn't fire.

Since whether a neuron fires is "all or nothing," the goal of glutamate supplementation is to get these neurons that wouldn't normally fire to get enough voltage across their membrane to pass the threshold and fire.

That's the basic science. Whether or not it actually pans out like this, I will not comment on. Just note that glutamate does a LOT. It is the precursor to many neurotransmitters as well, besides acting as one on it's own. It's also involved in long term potentiation...and neurodegeneration. What determines which path is potentiated is the pre-existing CNS environment of the individual.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Electric potentials turn into nerve signals.
To generate a nerve signal (also known as "action potential"), you need to hit a threshold level of electric potentials.

Example (numbers are arbitrary, nowhere near physiological):

You have 8 neurons.
Neurons 1-7 are all individually connected to neuron 8.
Neuron 8 has 0 mV voltage across its membrane.
40 mV stimulate an action potential/nerve signal to fire from neuron 8. You need to drive the 0 mV up to 40 mV to make a nerve signal fire.
Neurons 1-5 release glutamate, an excitatory neurotransmitter. They drive the voltage of neuron 8 from 0 mV to 60 mV.
Neurons 6-7 release GABA, an inhibitory neurotransmitter. They reduce the voltage difference from 60 mV to 30 mV.
Neuron 8 is at 30 mV. It doesn't reach 40 mV and it doesn't fire.

Since whether a neuron fires is "all or nothing," the goal of glutamate supplementation is to get these neurons that wouldn't normally fire to get enough voltage across their membrane to pass the threshold and fire.

That's the basic science. Whether or not it actually pans out like this, I will not comment on. Just note that glutamate does a LOT. It is the precursor to many neurotransmitters as well, besides acting as one on it's own. It's also involved in long term potentiation...and neurodegeneration. What determines which path is potentiated is the pre-existing CNS environment of the individual.
excellent info mr C

chemjr

chemjr

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Mr cooper still teaching, lol. Anybody else remember that show?
Thanks coop, you rock!

Now, I know glutamate and glutamine are far different. But could taking a certain amount of glutamine translate into increased glutamate? Or is it the other way around? Or neither? Damn I need my chemistry books and a refresher course! So frikin dumbed down nowadays.

garygnu

Awards
That name is not standard nomenclature and is structural nonsense. Purpose is to obfuscate true identity. Very likely an untested / unapproved designer drug that will be or already is banned.

Nickespo89

Nickespo89

Awards
  • Established
Lamotrigine (generic for lamictal) works by manipulating the glutamate system and stabilizing it....I am on this medication and it makes a world of difference with my mood and temperament. It is marketed as an anti convulsant. I wonder if I could pull more if I was off it or if it helps vs hinders my strength. Or if it has no effect?

patrick25

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Funny it's in the product I'm using from psycho pharma

Ninjo

Ninjo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Funny it's in the product I'm using from psycho pharma
Been thinking of picking up a bottle (or two) of that product you speak of...what is your honest opinion on how it works for mood elevation? Some reviewers are claiming a type of "euphoria"; you getting that effect??

patrick25

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It does provide good euphoria I use it five days a week can't make it to half a scoop yet no tolerance build up on week five now so yes it's very good and the feeling lingers into hour 3. I bought there fat burner and had to empty half a capsule for the afternoon very good stuff but I'm starting to wonder if it's spiked now just from the effects plus I've just been informed of the owners past. If you do go with it start light and work your way up trust me some reviewer said he took 2 scoops bulls..t. He'd be headed to the er. It's way strong.

kaitlynj2001

kaitlynj2001

Awards
were you using schizophrenic psycho? I've noticed that this particular supp isn't on psycho pharma's supp list anymore. And which pre? Edge of Insanity?

I ordered Schiz Psycho and looking forward to the appetite suppressant, boost in mood and focus as well as energy.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 1