Muscle Twitching

Weightman

Awards
Whats up... I'm having a recurring issue when it comes to weight training. Previously my bicep would twitch a lot and sometimes kind of cramp up, not while lifting but when doing my day to day stuff. Now its my pec, not cramping just twitching a lot for extended periods of time. Any explanation?

WILL DA BEAST

WILL DA BEAST

Awards
  • Established
does it happen before during or after your workout?

my biceps and legs are bad about twitching after i hit them hard. and usually with my arms if i bend them and flex hard after a workout they will cramp up right in front of my elbow.

i think it's just a way of showing you had a good workout. but maybe i'm wrong..

Weightman

Awards
well the bicep thing was happening at work while doing desk work, much like you described will... and the pec was this morning and last night. Yesterday was not myt chest day, today was. So I suppose you could call it preworkout

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
too much training, so when ur not training ur neurons are miss firing, many ppl who have this wake up feeling sore cuz alot of missfiring during sleep, me included i used melatonin to fix me up then stoped mela after 30 something days now i am fine 5 months later. mostly cuz ur trainign too much take a week of

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Try more water and potassium. Possibly related to dehydration. When I'm on keto, I get it a lot if I'm dehydrated. I get a sugar free sports drink with some potassium in it and it usually takes care of it.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
The medical term for muscle twitching is 'fasciculation'. Muscle twitching refers to small, local, involuntary muscle contractions (twitching) that may appear like a shiver under the skin. There are a multitude of causes for muscle twitches.

Twitching that is not caused by a disease or disorder is called benign twitching. Examples of benign twitching are those brought on by dehydration or fatigue of that particular muscle. One may experience some amount of twitching after exercising. Another cause is a deficiency in a persons diet.

Overuse of caffeine, or any other drug can also cause muscle twitching. Consequently, it is a side effect of drug abuse from diuretics, corticosteroids, estrogens and other substances.

Weightman

Awards
Well I train almost everyday so maybe over doing it... but when I take time off I feel like it's time wasted. The twitching isn't occurring today so no biggie. I definately could stand to drink more water, while I am at the gym I hit the fountain very often. I don't wake up sore, and I miss it. I wake up fine and dandy. I really want to put on some more muscle though so I am going at it hard. I appreciate the posts.

WILL DA BEAST

WILL DA BEAST

Awards
  • Established
overtraining may be part of it for you if you train everyday. but i hit biceps once a week and usually if i do a good workout i get cramps until the next morning.

maybe try chugging a gatorade when you feel the twitch coming on and see if it helps....

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Well I train almost everyday so maybe over doing it... but when I take time off I feel like it's time wasted. The twitching isn't occurring today so no biggie. I definately could stand to drink more water, while I am at the gym I hit the fountain very often. I don't wake up sore, and I miss it. I wake up fine and dandy. I really want to put on some more muscle though so I am going at it hard. I appreciate the posts.
How often do you change your routine?

Weightman

Awards
well I am a diabetic, so the potassium thing may be valid. When I went to the hospital they had me taking potassium pills often. I make sure to have a banana a day, lol like it's going to rectify everything. Maybe a MV would help.

My routine... I don't really change it.

Curlbar, dumbell curl, pull ups, hammer curl
Tricep pull downs with rope, dips, one arm pull downs with palm down/up
Shoulder Press, Shrugs, Lateral Raise

next day

Incline, Decline, Bench, Cable Flys
Lat pulldown (wide), Lat pulldown (narrow), Mid row, Back Fly, That thing where you lay down on an inclined bench and pull weight up (dunno what it's called)
Leg Press, Calf raise, Leg extension

Thats what I do.. just alternate between the two.

Sharkbiter32

Awards
The medical term for muscle twitching is 'fasciculation'. Muscle twitching refers to small, local, involuntary muscle contractions (twitching) that may appear like a shiver under the skin. There are a multitude of causes for muscle twitches.

Twitching that is not caused by a disease or disorder is called benign twitching. Examples of benign twitching are those brought on by dehydration or fatigue of that particular muscle. One may experience some amount of twitching after exercising. Another cause is a deficiency in a persons diet.

Overuse of caffeine, or any other drug can also cause muscle twitching. Consequently, it is a side effect of drug abuse from diuretics, corticosteroids, estrogens and other substances.
He's right,... I suggest drink more water and get more rest.

Weightman

Awards
I have started drinking a lot more water, primarily my liquids consisted of monster lo carbs (lol) and milk. Being broke lately has me drinking lots of water. Also I took yesterday off due to low blood sugar earlier in the day. I haven't had any twitching for the past 2 days so lets see how today goes! Thanks guys

deadaim

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Spoke to my doctor about this, there are so many reasons this can happen, many times for me it is linked to fatigue, if it gets progressively worse then you need to see a doctor, otherwise **** around with some of these fixes.