booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The simplicity is why I think it's great for beginners..stagnation hits with everything..I started heavy triples when that happened
Totally agree. Any beginner should start with something totally basic. Learn good fundamentals and then add variety

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Thanks. Yes I agree. Sorry I left that out about the 3 days. That's what starting strength 5x5 calls for I think?

I've seen somewhere that there was a mod to add deadlifts into PHAT more frequently I believe?

I would say my goals are 65/35 strength to just size. I want the size but I want it to be strong muscle not just for show
The way I run my PHAT mod right now I deadlift on my hypertrophy days for higher reps and do rack pulls on my power days all weeks except my 1rm week where I dead twice, once to grease the groove and deload and then once for max. This has been great for me as I was stuck for quite awhile and the rack pulls have helped my lockout a ton.

You could def tailor PHAT to what you want. Focus more on the main lifts and just dial the total accessory volume down a bit and I'm sure you'd make serious progress.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Phat does allow for some pretty sick gains. PH3 and a full budget was still the hardest and most worthwhile run I've ever had. I'm taking posterior gains that surpassed Smovlov!

bruno.camilo

bruno.camilo

Awards
  • Established
What do you guys think about rest and pause technique ?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The one caveat is that you have to allow for proper recovery to reap the benefits of the workouts. Any good progressive program that focuses on those lifts should help you, and theres nothing that says you can't lift more than 3 times a week
I use a lot of these ideas in my HST routines. And you nailed it with the recovery mention. I see great results and then crash prior to hitting my goal because of the high frequency of each lift. It's really tough to manage volume when you are feeling good and looking good prior to the crash.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
cobri66

cobri66

Awards
Totally agree. Any beginner should start with something totally basic. Learn good fundamentals and then add variety
I began with it and never did anything else..hate figuring out percentages...I get all 25 reps..move up 10 lbs...great for my simple brain

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
Maybe i'm just missing it but what is the progression plan/schedule like for PHAT? Is it the usual add 5 or 10 lbs for big lifts like squat or deadlift per week and 5 for bench and OHP? Hypertrophy would be if you hit all the reps to move up reps the next week then possibly drop reps and add weight the next if successful?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Maybe i'm just missing it but what is the progression plan/schedule like for PHAT? Is it the usual add 5 or 10 lbs for big lifts like squat or deadlift per week and 5 for bench and OHP? Hypertrophy would be if you hit all the reps to move up reps the next week then possibly drop reps and add weight the next if successful?
the way my template is set up it has you progress with sets, reps, and weight over the course of a 6wk block in order to eventually improve your 1rm within each block.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Do start the 5x5 at 80%?

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
DUbz86

DUbz86

Awards
  • Established
In for gains. Also I'm a huge proponent of PHAT or a PPL split. Recently switched to doing 6 days/week: PPL A, PPL B, rest. Definitely the most efficient when it comes to maximizing muscle protein synthesis imo. And the A and B days help with exercise variety.

Seen significant increases in general upper body size already.
Definitely phat works!! And it's the best of both worlds heavy lifting and high reps

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
For mass, both on and off gear, Doggcrapp, period.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Could you expand on your experience with DC? I'm interested in trying it (natty)
Sure, it's been the program where I've made the most consistent gains in size and strength. When I've tried higher volume workouts where you do multi sets/exercises per bodypart (e.g., Max-OT) I usually stall at a lower weight/size. With Doggcrapp I just focus on that one rest/pause set per exercise, and focus on building strength, and I get better size gains. I have always used Doggcrapp when I've been my biggest, both on and off gear.

The only downside to DC is that the lower volume does give you somewhat of a softer/bulky look, but what I do is do DC to gain size and strength, then increase volume to maintain and improve density/hardness.

Overall DC is a more effective and fun way to train IMO. Lower volume, higher intensity, higher frequency of workouts (and "growth phases") due to lower volume.

Beta

Awards
  • Established
Sure, it's been the program where I've made the most consistent gains in size and strength. When I've tried higher volume workouts where you do multi sets/exercises per bodypart (e.g., Max-OT) I usually stall at a lower weight/size. With Doggcrapp I just focus on that one rest/pause set per exercise, and focus on building strength, and I get better size gains. I have always used Doggcrapp when I've been my biggest, both on and off gear.

The only downside to DC is that the lower volume does give you somewhat of a softer/bulky look, but what I do is do DC to gain size and strength, then increase volume to maintain and improve density/hardness.

Overall DC is a more effective and fun way to train IMO. Lower volume, higher intensity, higher frequency of workouts (and "growth phases") due to lower volume.
Thanks!
I'm toying around with the idea of combining a PHAT split with DC principles. So for power upper/lower I'd do DC type rest/pause exercises and extreme stretching but do a little higher volume work later on in the week.

elo76

elo76

Awards
  • Established
Thanks!
I'm toying around with the idea of combining a PHAT split with DC principles. So for power upper/lower I'd do DC type rest/pause exercises and extreme stretching but do a little higher volume work later on in the week.
Do it! I've done it with great results.

Kaki

Kaki

Awards
Shoot me your emails and I'll send it over. I have both a 5 and 6-day version.

If you guys have yours electronically I'd love to see them as well.
Thank you for your info, they are quite helpful always! Is it possible to have your program (5days)?

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
PHAT was amazing for me, granted i had not been training for awhile, but i got my arms bigger than they had evre been in 9 weeks, but then i injured myself going to heavy :(

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There are a handful that I have really liked and evolved my intensity and body since using them.

Mountain dog: mostly whatever he releases for free,but especially lately John has been doing almost daily workout videos.

Fortitude Training and DC Training: Fortitude is like DC with higher volume. This program is very very difficult and I found my entire body growing quick.
DC Training has brought an intensity I've never experienced before. This absolutely changed my physique and training.

Kris Gethins DTP and DTP Xtreme: this program was very taxing. I still use some of his methods for sets. Nothing ground breaking but it's easy to follow and very challenging if you follow it to a T and push the weights up each session.

pro45

Awards
There are a handful that I have really liked and evolved my intensity and body since using them.

Mountain dog: mostly whatever he releases for free,but especially lately John has been doing almost daily workout videos.

Fortitude Training and DC Training: Fortitude is like DC with higher volume. This program is very very difficult and I found my entire body growing quick.
DC Training has brought an intensity I've never experienced before. This absolutely changed my physique and training.

Kris Gethins DTP and DTP Xtreme: this program was very taxing. I still use some of his methods for sets. Nothing ground breaking but it's easy to follow and very challenging if you follow it to a T and push the weights up each session.
Were you doing these programs as a natty? Or with "assistance"?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Smolov for squat is brutal but effective. I screwed up the first time doing too much other stuff though - gotta just be the sole focus of your training for that period.

Currently using a phat based program I’ve modified for myself. On a cycle so increased volume amongst other things....

wesb2387

wesb2387

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Smolov for squat is brutal but effective. I screwed up the first time doing too much other stuff though - gotta just be the sole focus of your training for that period.

Currently using a phat based program I’ve modified for myself. On a cycle so increased volume amongst other things....
Did the same with Smolov. It’s a brutal program for sure. It helped me get to almost 600lbs and I’ve stayed consistently in the 5’s since then. Solid program if you do it right.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Were you doing these programs as a natty? Or with "assistance"?
I have ran through them natty, but that is irrelevant. Training is training. DC training is eod, so as a natty it gives you alot of time to recover. Same thing with fortitude. Fortitude is built to be autoregulating and there are 6 tiers of volume, so you adjust to your needs.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
By far, Mentzer's HIT training has given me the best results. I also like 5x5 and HST a lot.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks!
This is not going to work. I'm sorry but DC training is very very intense and requires low volume and Max intensity. If you do it correctly you will find the stretching to be more challenging than many of the sets. I would pick one or the other, or just go with fortitude, which is like DC 2.0 with two loading days and two higher volume days.

ZachH

ZachH

Banned
Awards
just read this whole thread and still have some questions.

I've been training consistently for about 6 years now, and have pretty much always just stuck to the bro split like back/chest/legs/abs calves/arms shoulders traps and have always gained steady. But now at about 5'10" 200 LBS 13% bodyfat the gains come a lot slower than they used to.

Thinking about starting a new programming/body split for my upcoming 60 day cycle of epistane/halodrol/NOR delta 6 TD and want to maximize size and strength gains for this 60 day period.

What do you think is the best route to take? Stick to my well known bro split or mix it up and try something else for most possible lean hard mass and strength. I train usually 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs a day usually 5-7 days a week. Thanks

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
just read this whole thread and still have some questions.

I've been training consistently for about 6 years now, and have pretty much always just stuck to the bro split like back/chest/legs/abs calves/arms shoulders traps and have always gained steady. But now at about 5'10" 200 LBS 13% bodyfat the gains come a lot slower than they used to.

Thinking about starting a new programming/body split for my upcoming 60 day cycle of epistane/halodrol/NOR delta 6 TD and want to maximize size and strength gains for this 60 day period.

What do you think is the best route to take? Stick to my well known bro split or mix it up and try something else for most possible lean hard mass and strength. I train usually 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs a day usually 5-7 days a week. Thanks
First off, 5'10'' and 200 at 13% bf is a heck of an achievement. The gains at that point will be very very slow for a natural. Likely, honestly, you are getting pretty close to your genetic potential.

Hard to argue with whatever got you there.

Cybergenics from the early 90s
Super strong first post. Nice.

smike

Awards
Cybergenics looks interesting but i can't find the whole workout. Does anyone have it?

irone93

irone93

Awards
  • Established
I think you can still find it online, it is crazy intense. They recommend only doing it for three months max. Let me give you a snippet of leg day (which you do twice a week)
Squat with 80% of max until NEGITIVE failure strip down to 40% with no rest proceed until NEGITIVE failure, then strip to 25%, proceed until NEGITIVE failure. Then do deep squat jumps until fallure and then sissy squats until failure. Repeat three times.

I lost like 20lbs and increased my strength by like 40%

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I think you can still find it online, it is crazy intense. They recommend only doing it for three months max. Let me give you a snippet of leg day (which you do twice a week)
Squat with 80% of max until NEGITIVE failure strip down to 40% with no rest proceed until NEGITIVE failure, then strip to 25%, proceed until NEGITIVE failure. Then do deep squat jumps until fallure and then sissy squats until failure. Repeat three times.

I lost like 20lbs and increased my strength by like 40%
Wow

Beta

Awards
  • Established
Just restarted HST after a decently long break running a modified PHAT PPL split. Still amazing.

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I haven't run it yet but PHAT looks to be a solid program. Anything that prioritizes compound movements and hits squats a couple times per week should be pretty good. Although I'm currently running Candito's 6 week program I usually make my own. The best results have come from focusing on improving poundages with compound movements but going for a good mind muscle connection with isolation exercises. I have 19" arms and I rarely do direct bicep work. Maybe 10 minutes per week. They grew from heavy rows.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I’m doing back/ chest together twice a week and legs/arms twice a week. Really enjoying it. It’s always good to change it up. Especially to something you rarely do or have never done before. Keeps you excited and motivated.

jimbo63

Awards
any way I can get that template please? Thanx, Jim

jimbo63

Awards
can I get the 5 and 6 day template also, want to try phat out
Shoot me your emails and I'll send it over. I have both a 5 and 6-day version.

If you guys have yours electronically I'd love to see them as well.

Dukethumper

Awards
  • Established
Thanks!
I know it has been a long time since this was posted, but this was what I want to do, did you make any results?

Dukethumper

Awards
  • Established
Do it! I've done it with great results.
So just do your power days with rest pause and widowmaker? Then Hypertrophy days just do it by the book with PHAT, no DC? Or incorporate extreme stretching?

elo76

elo76

Awards
  • Established
So just do your power days with rest pause and widowmaker? Then Hypertrophy days just do it by the book with PHAT, no DC? Or incorporate extreme stretching?
Yeppers. I only run it like that for around 4 weeks. I do extreme stretching on dc and hyper days during this. I do extreme stretches on my hyper days only when im running it normal.

mbonheur

mbonheur

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am currently running nsuns 531 with a lot of "calisthenics" as accessory lifts and I really like it. Made a lot of progress on it, even though I am training for years

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The programs I make myself catered toward my own needs and body type are the ones I’ve been successful with. I’ve followed so many programs and none has worked as well as the ones I create.I know my body and I know what works for me.

Beta

Awards
  • Established
I know it has been a long time since this was posted, but this was what I want to do, did you make any results?
I actually jumped on an Upper/Lower split for a bit after that was posted due to having larger time demands. I'm still interested in the principles and will definitely try it when I have some free time. If you do try it out, please keep me posted!

Dukethumper

Awards
  • Established
I actually jumped on an Upper/Lower split for a bit after that was posted due to having larger time demands. I'm still interested in the principles and will definitely try it when I have some free time. If you do try it out, please keep me posted!
I will start a supplement log In the next couple days following this regime

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Depends on the specific goals. However I always do best with conjugate or DUP type stuff. I have been growing well and seem to be avoiding injuries following a modified version of Fortitude Training and I love it. Fortitude Training is similar to PHAT but also has Cluster sets added in. You end up with a load day, a pump day, and cluster set day for every body part every week. Hitting many different pathways for growth each week with it.

DC / Dog Crapp is awesome as well. I love Meadows stuff, and now he is increasing frequency in his programs which I like also.

Both of the Mi40 versions were great. Really if you have been focusing on one area or type of training then try something a bit different to focus on a different aspect of strength or growth. Always explosive, try a program that is tempo based. Always slow tempo try something with a more explosive concentric contraction. Been going high intensity for a while move to high volume and if high volume try more frequency and intensity with less volume.

croninson1

Awards
I have been using this program for the last 3 weeks: deadliftworkouts/coanphillipi-deadlift-routine-10-weeks-max-attempt/

Just barely started and I am definitely noticing an improvement in my deadlift. Barely been able to pull 325 and now I am around 330-340ish.

Dukethumper

Awards
  • Established
I have been using this program for the last 3 weeks: deadliftworkouts.com/coanphillipi-deadlift-routine-10-weeks-max-attempt/

Just barely started and I am definitely noticing an improvement in my deadlift. Barely been able to pull 325 and now I am around 330-340ish.
I'm just going to do more variations such as elevated and see if that helps, I'm at a 2 rep mav of 345 rn

Syanide

Syanide

Awards
hey guys, im starting to charge $5 to send either one of my versions of this out since I'm the one who put all the work into it and answers all the questions ha. It was just getting to the point where its taking a lot of my time to keep up with everyone so i feel like I should get something back. if you're still interested, pm me.
Can you pm me your PayPal email for the $5 for the 5 day please booneman77