LOTR or Narnia?

LOTR or Narnia?

• Total voters
BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Most of you have read these books or seen the movies...so which is better in your opinion? The Lord of The Rings trilogy or The Chronicles of Narnia?

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
I never read the LOTR books, but I used to devour the Chronicles of Narnia books when I was younger so my vote goes to that. I remember sitting down for hours and reading some of those books. They were really something special. The movie was kind of a waste of time for me though.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
I actually have read both as a kid. LOTR, IMO, is much better than the Narnia books.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I never read the LOTR books, but I used to devour the Chronicles of Narnia books when I was younger so my vote goes to that. I remember sitting down for hours and reading some of those books. They were really something special. The movie was kind of a waste of time for me though.
I read all of LOTR when I was a kid and I remember reading a couple of the Narnia books. I liked the Narnia movie more than the LOTR flicks (even though they were great). I just started reading all of the Narnia books again...just as wicked as I remember :)

BV

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
WTF? How is this even a contest. I mean it's LOTR and it isn't even close.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lord of the Rings but Narnia was one of my first fantasy series I read as a kid.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
LOTR is on a level that Narnia(a little kid's series) couldn't even begin to touch.

That being said, the 3 trilogies of The Thomas Covenant Chronicles, by Stephen R. Donaldson, is on a level far and beyond anything else out there.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
An interesting fact about these two books - Lews and Tolkien were actually good friends, and used to work on stories together over a couple brews in the local pub..

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pocket protectors, or just use pencils instead?..Nah, just playing BV..I would have to cast the vote for both the movie, and books of J.R.R's being far better..However, as somebody else had mentioned, they are on two vastly different levels, because they were written for vastly different audiences

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Pocket protectors, or just use pencils instead?..Nah, just playing BV..
LOL I knew that was comming:)

I would have to cast the vote for both the movie, and books of J.R.R's being far better..However, as somebody else had mentioned, they are on two vastly different levels, because they were written for vastly different audiences
True, I love both stories. I enjoyed the Narnia film more though - I was disappointed in the battle scenes in LOTR because the good guys just made it look so easy. In nearly every battle, 3 guys are wiping out leigons of evil monsters without so much as a scratch...I like the good guys to win but I wanna see a struggle of mythological proportions you know?:)

BV

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
:woohoo: Vote has been 6-1 in favor of LOTR since I posted.

Malek256

Awards
LotR. Narnia has too many fascist undertones.
"Do not question authority"
"The only beautiful woman you see must be evil"

50joe

Awards
  • Established
I am suprised anyone puts Narnia ahead of LOTR.
me too! I mean of course its all opinion but its not even a question for myself

I'm referring to the movies myself though. Never read the narnia books, though read LOTR.

I liked the narnia movie a lot, but lotr was way more involving, and narnia the movie seemed more kiddy to me

and with narnia i didnt really care for the characters like LOTR brought across the screen. I think that was the main reason.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
I agree.

In fact, i really wanted Edward to die for being such a moron.

I didn't really want Boromir to die, despite being a pillock, but to be fair, he had an awesome death in the film.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Narnia was just a way he could tell the story of religion to his daughter. the undertones are ones of his religious beliefs.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
LOTR is on a level that Narnia(a little kid's series) couldn't even begin to touch.

That being said, the 3 trilogies of The Thomas Covenant Chronicles, by Stephen R. Donaldson, is on a level far and beyond anything else out there.
Donaldon's writing style can be a bit of a cumbersome read though. And Thomas Covenent, while excellent stories, are such DOWNERS. OMFG. About as depressing as it gets.

IMO, Donaldon's greatest and most etertaining books are his Gap series. I liked the characters in that series far better. I think he did a better job of defining them. Oh and if you think Thomas Covenant was an anti-hero, you should see what Angus is like. In The Real Story, he is immediately set up as having absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. In fact, his character would be the perfect hollywood villain except for the fact that his sins and actions are too horrid for hollywood. He is basically evil in a human shell. He cares for no one, and will do literally anything he wants to get what he desires. He is the ultimate scum.

Yet Donaldon, the master he is, manages by the end to get the reader to actually sympathize with him. It's pretty disturbing actually. By the end of the final books, you will find yourself rooting for Angus, hoping he succeeds.

One thing I especially like about the Gap series is how well Donaldson paints a portrait of the environment of the times illustrated in the series (hundreds of years in the future). I also like how that all the science fiction elements are explained in very scientific terms. The devices and technology in his books are all theoretically possible and based on real physics, for example the Matter Cannon.

oh, and as for Narnia or LOTR, not even close: LOTR. I liked the Narnia movie, but disliked the books. WAY too preachy.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Donaldon's writing style can be a bit of a cumbersome read though. And Thomas Covenent, while excellent stories, are such DOWNERS. OMFG. About as depressing as it gets.

IMO, Donaldon's greatest and most etertaining books are his Gap series. I liked the characters in that series far better. I think he did a better job of defining them. Oh and if you think Thomas Covenant was an anti-hero, you should see what Angus is like. In The Real Story, he is immediately set up as having absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. In fact, his character would be the perfect hollywood villain except for the fact that his sins and actions are too horrid for hollywood. He is basically evil in a human shell. He cares for no one, and will do literally anything he wants to get what he desires. He is the ultimate scum.

Yet Donaldon, the master he is, manages by the end to get the reader to actually sympathize with him. It's pretty disturbing actually. By the end of the final books, you will find yourself rooting for Angus, hoping he succeeds.

One thing I especially like about the Gap series is how well Donaldson paints a portrait of the environment of the times illustrated in the series (hundreds of years in the future). I also like how that all the science fiction elements are explained in very scientific terms. The devices and technology in his books are all theoretically possible and based on real physics, for example the Matter Cannon.

oh, and as for Narnia or LOTR, not even close: LOTR. I liked the Narnia movie, but disliked the books. WAY too preachy.

Oh, I love the Gap series. You're dead on about Angus. First book, he's the worst of the worst, by the last you're almost rooting for him.

Donaldson's Mordant's Need series is great also, hell everything the guy writes is incredible.

Have you started reading the 3rd Covenant Triology?

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Oh, I love the Gap series. You're dead on about Angus. First book, he's the worst of the worst, by the last you're almost rooting for him.

Donaldson's Mordant's Need series is great also, hell everything the guy writes is incredible.

Have you started reading the 3rd Covenant Triology?
I was kind of put off by the second series. It got bogged down. I did managed to finish it, but it was definitely a slow read. Not like the Gap series; that was fast reading at its best.

Lately I've been reading Robert Jordan. Just started his most recent Wheel of Time book. Books 1-9 were great (book 9 was an absolut masterpiece), book 10 was HORRIBLE though. Book 10 was just filler. He spent the majority of it describing what people are wearing and describing scenary instead of describing actions and moving the plotline. His editor should have cut book 10 down to 100 pages. Instead it was 800 pages. Ugh. I'm hoping book 11 is more like 9 and less like 10.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Lately I've been reading Robert Jordan. Just started his most recent Wheel of Time book. Books 1-9 were great (book 9 was an absolut masterpiece), book 10 was HORRIBLE though. Book 10 was just filler. He spent the majority of it describing what people are wearing and describing scenary instead of describing actions and moving the plotline. His editor should have cut book 10 down to 100 pages. Instead it was 800 pages. Ugh. I'm hoping book 11 is more like 9 and less like 10.
Ive read the first 3 Wheel of Time books - riveting! Another great series are the Majipoor series by Robert Silverberg.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ive read the first 3 Wheel of Time books - riveting! Another great series are the Majipoor series by Robert Silverberg.
Book 4 is ok. Book 5 is awesome. Book 6 is good but the ending is unrivaled until book 9. Book 7 was overal good. Book 8 I found lacking; too much Perrin but Matt is nowhere to be found anywhere in Book 8. Book 9 is, as I said, a masterpiece.

My two favorite books in the series so far are 6 and 9. While book 5 is arguably better for most of it than 6, the ending of 6 just blew me away. It had me literally jumping up and down in my seat while I was reading it. It was one of those endings that makes you feel all tinglely. Book 9 is another that has an ending like that, only as huge as the ending of book 6 was, the ending of book 9 was just ... well my only reaction was "holy ####!!!"

And while you'll find that even though Matt started off as a bit of an annoying troublemaker, he becomes by far the coolest character in the series once he gains his powers.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
You guys ever read the 'Necroscope' series by Brian Lumley. That has to be the greatest Vampire-based story ever. A bit of a tanget from sci-fi/fantasy I guess, but still brings back good memories of when I had mad time to read:)

BV

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
since the topic has switched to books somewhat, any of ya'll read the dark tower series by stephen king? i've gotten up to book 6 so far.

sweet-physique

sweet-physique

Awards
  • Established
since the topic has switched to books somewhat, any of ya'll read the dark tower series by stephen king? i've gotten up to book 6 so far.

Read it. The coda ending is a ***** at the end of the last book. King will warn you not to read the coda, but who is going to read all 7 books some 5-6000 pages and not read the afterward?

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
To get completely superficial about it - the effects and compositing in Narnia looked very weak to me compared with the LOTR movies, especially TT and ROTK.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
To get completely superficial about it - the effects and compositing in Narnia looked very weak to me compared with the LOTR movies, especially TT and ROTK.
LOTR was definitly breath-taking, but I actually liked Narna better. Maybe it was the talking animals:)

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
39-6...........Better luck next year Narnia!!! "DRIVE HOME SAFELY!!!!":D

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
LOTR was definitly breath-taking, but I actually liked Narna better. Maybe it was the talking animals:)
its okay bv... its cool to be in the minority sometimes!

i agree with the entire book reviews.... as in how LOTR's were better than Narnia (i hated the narnia book....) but the narnia movie was so much more entertaining....