L-dopa/mucuna pruriens dosage?

AtomicFox

AtomicFox

Awards
  • Established

broons

Awards
  • Established
I would probably take some 5-htp or trypyophan and maybe even EGCG with it as it can deplete serotonin levels with long term use. Actually, after doing alot of researching, Im staying away from mucuna. I'd suggest doing research on your own before blindly ingesting substances that screw with your neurotransmitters. Not saying its good or bad, I'm just pretty cautious anymore with supplements that screw with my brain chemistry.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would probably take some 5-htp or trypyophan and maybe even EGCG with it as it can deplete serotonin levels with long term use. Actually, after doing alot of researching, Im staying away from mucuna. I'd suggest doing research on your own before blindly ingesting substances that screw with your neurotransmitters. Not saying its good or bad, I'm just pretty cautious anymore with supplements that screw with my brain chemistry.
I understand your concern with this product and it is always best to be cautious. However, I do have issues with L-DOPA and Mucuna being used interchangeably. If you look up research on L-DOPA, it is going to be referring to levodopa 99% of the time which is used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease and causes horrible side effects like dyskinesias.

However Mucuna, while it does seem to facilitate L-DOPA properties, does show promise as a Parkinson's treatment without the side effects of straight L-DOPA: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20570206

Doctors have been using L-DOPA for over 50 years, so we know quite well what it does. Mucuna has so far been shown to be safe, but long term studies will need to be down as time goes on.

I do applaud you though for not believing everything that is said on here and encouraging other to do their research as well. And as a final side note, I have been taking IGF-2 for about a month now. It's hard to tell to what extent it has been working since I am taking it along with several other supplements, but it does seem like a solid product.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I understand your concern with this product and it is always best to be cautious. However, I do have issues with L-DOPA and Mucuna being used interchangeably. If you look up research on L-DOPA, it is going to be referring to levodopa 99% of the time which is used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease and causes horrible side effects like dyskinesias.

However Mucuna, while it does seem to facilitate L-DOPA properties, does show promise as a Parkinson's treatment without the side effects of straight L-DOPA: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20570206

Doctors have been using L-DOPA for over 50 years, so we know quite well what it does. Mucuna has so far been shown to be safe, but long term studies will need to be down as time goes on.

I do applaud you though for not believing everything that is said on here and encouraging other to do their research as well. And as a final side note, I have been taking IGF-2 for about a month now. It's hard to tell to what extent it has been working since I am taking it along with several other supplements, but it does seem like a solid product.
There is a balance amongst neurotransmitters for everybody- only problem is- our brains are wired differently, so this balance tends to vary widely among the population. When you are formulating product, you try to take this into account, but you don't always get it right for everyone. This is one of the toughest things about my job- I can't always get it right for every customer :) Learning how to balance neuros is probably the most important thing in certain types of products, especially from a "feel" standpoint, with the second most important thing being that the formulation has to be able to run from a processing standpoint- both can be very tricky....

To be safe, I would experiment to see how each individual neurotransmitter (serotonin, dopamine, acetylcholine, NE) is altered by supplementation, and proceed from there with caution.

broons

Awards
  • Established
Ya like I said, I'm not saying its good or bad, I just choose to stay away from it personally. As has been said, there are no long term studies on it and I just don't want to live by the "its good until its proven bad" mentality as I'm getting older. I just get concerned for people taking stuff without knowing what they're getting into. For me, tyrosine is a better alyernative for maintaining optimal dopamine levels as it is rate limited by enzymatic action or even possibly DLPA. I still recommend anyone taking any kind of dopamine boosting substance to Co supplement with 5-htp or tryptophan and magnesium and maybe EGCG.

Handytom

Awards
macuna

I take the equivalent of 700 to 1000mg a day helps my moods, libido, and performance...never tried higher dose yet

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I take the equivalent of 700 to 1000mg a day helps my moods, libido, and performance...never tried higher dose yet
do you mean 700mg-1000mg of L-Dopa, or that dosage of Mucuna Pruriens?

Handytom

Awards
macuna

I take 700mg to 1000 mg of macuna extract....which has about 40% LDopa...hmmm maybe I oughtta take more, one can safely take 1500 of Ldopa

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I take 700mg to 1000 mg of macuna extract....which has about 40% LDopa...hmmm maybe I oughtta take more, one can safely take 1500 of Ldopa
L-DOPA really shouldn't be dosed above 500mg/day. 500mg in 1 dosage before bed showed an increase of GH by 1400% in healthy males.

The product you're mentioning(swansons) is not even close to 40% L-Dopa.

Handytom

Awards
L dopa

I guess u get what u pay for..hmmm oughtta look into straight L dopa then?

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I guess u get what u pay for..hmmm oughtta look into straight L dopa then?
you can...or if you're looking for a complete/effective formula, check this out:

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/iforce-nutrition/lights-out-56-caps.html

It contains both a very high dosage of L-Dopa, with 5-htp to ensure that your body keeps producing dopamine at a correct level, and you don't have to cycle off of it.

The added Humanofort really helps for recovery as well. This is one of our most highly praised products with testers.

Handytom

Awards
L Dopa

Im gonna try it Now foods has one specifying 120mg L dopa per cap alsojeez I might finish off the product I have by doubling my usual dosethe old saying, you GET what u PAY for:(

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
you can...or if you're looking for a complete/effective formula, check this out:

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/iforce-nutrition/lights-out-56-caps.html

It contains both a very high dosage of L-Dopa, with 5-htp to ensure that your body keeps producing dopamine at a correct level, and you don't have to cycle off of it.

The added Humanofort really helps for recovery as well. This is one of our most highly praised products with testers.
Good sleep is often underrated.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I take 750mgs a day of 95% l(dopadex) Have taken 1000mgs a few times.

Handytom

Awards
..and w. Dopadex 95%...

...what were the effects?

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
...what were the effects?
this. Highly standardized L-Dopa products often cause unwanted side effects when compared to the same dose of L-dopa, but from a lesser purified extract

DjAnthum

DjAnthum

Awards
lol at least you guys can use it.

Banned in Aus!

DjAnthum

DjAnthum

Awards
NOW l-dopa gets in fine. So do lots of mucuna products.
To be honest you can get anything in, bht if its checked by quarantine and they're thorough then they seize it. I've gotten PH's in before as well as stacks of yohimbine and mucuna products.

Last year i ordered 3x Dexaprine + 3x Hyper T2 and they were seized. Spewing.

Its a hit and miss!

flamini

flamini

Awards
Would you guys say munca standardized at 99% L -Dopa at 800 mg safe ? Lecheek nutrition Ad-3 pct has it and I'm nervous to take it

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Would you guys say munca standardized at 99% L -Dopa at 800 mg safe ? Lecheek nutrition Ad-3 pct has it and I'm nervous to take it
i get side effects from highly standardized l-dopa...this is why we opted for a 50% in LiGHts Out.

I'd say try it out and see how you feel...you may not be as sensitive to it.

flamini

flamini

Awards
Alright thanks, I just wanted to make sure it was safe! i dont wanna take something that is going to mess me up long term. if it feels like to much I'm going to try the 50%.

MikeyCO

Awards
A lot of you guys are forgetting something.

Any ingredient has many different types of metabolites and strengths of extracts.

About 90% - 98ish% of products in the market place use Mucuna Pruriens 10:1 extract which is a really low potency. you would need several grams per day to see real desired results.

Some companies use 98% L-Dopa which uses a much more expensive extract and refinement process then 10:1

To put the cost perspective together 10:1 Mucuna Pruriens is about 6% the cost of 98% L-Dopa as a finished product. it is also much less weaker (to the tune of 1/20-30th the potency mg to mg) So where one person could take a gram (1000mg) of 10:1 per day he would see much less results then some one taking 100mg of 98% L-Dopa per day.

As of now I know of about 8 main different forms and competencies of Mucuna Pruriens with varying levels of L-Dopa Purity depending on what factory you can source the material from.

But to be clear when comparing an ingredient is is really important to know the following.

1. What region of what country did it originate from.
2. What extract ratio and what extract process was used
3. What metabolite/ molecule is being extracted out of the material (For example you can pull out about 8 different individual ingredients from Hesperidin)
4. What end purity is the ingredient manufactured to.

Without knowing this at its most basic level you could be comparing Apples to Oranges and not even know you are doing it.

Sampsa88

Sampsa88

Awards
Usp labs Powerfull has good dose that u can feel fast. But take some divanilly with it because prolactin chance is always there even with natural gh.

Danes

Danes

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Usp labs Powerfull has good dose that u can feel fast. But take some divanilly with it because prolactin chance is always there even with natural gh.
You are wrong
L-Dopa (in powerfull) is a natural prolactin inhibitor so why shall he add Divanil?

Sampsa88

Sampsa88

Awards
I have run same dose that Powerfull has but different companys and doubled the dose before and its very effective, first u are horny as hell but then the prolacting hits yes u are right in the l doba but i was talking the product not mucuna itself. Safed musli does prolacting in long term use and powerfull has it and if u want full effect of l dopa u need to run it with safed musli.

Danes

Danes

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have run same dose that Powerfull has but different companys and doubled the dose before and its very effective, first u are horny as hell but then the prolacting hits yes u are right in the l doba but i was talking the product not mucuna itself. Safed musli does prolacting in long term use and powerfull has it and if u want full effect of l dopa u need to run it with safed musli.
Chlorotest with Dopadex would be good stuff

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
whats the recomendation for cycling this stuff?

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
whats the recomendation for cycling this stuff?
I would say 8 weeks. One of the guys here (forget who) relayed some info on why he doesn't like L-Dopa, but I didn't save the PM. His logic made sense and I dumped mine. It was one of the MK-677 Gurus though. Maybe he'll see this. kboxer7 ???

Danes

Danes

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would say 8 weeks. One of the guys here (forget who) relayed some info on why he doesn't like L-Dopa, but I didn't save the PM. His logic made sense and I dumped mine. It was one of the MK-677 Gurus though. Maybe he'll see this. kboxer7 ???
I am not a fan of Ldopa either to be honest

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
IDK bro i just started taking a good quality brand of it and ive been feeling pretty damn good, i think its that l dopa to be honest

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
What brand
source naturals, they also have the best version of tongkat ali ive ever taken and ive tried 100 of them thats why i say its high quality

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
IDK bro i just started taking a good quality brand of it and ive been feeling pretty damn good, i think its that l dopa to be honest
I hear ya my friend - It would all depend on each individuals levels/chemistry - I bet it does help people. I'm just fortunate in that I *always* feel amazing, so, hard to improve on that.