KLEEN LIVING - A log about Life, Training, and Nutrition.

DAYUM STRAIGHT! I feel like I have the mindset, no excuses for why I am in this situation, no worries about how I look today because those pictures are simply the markers of change.

I made a very basic plan - very low carb during the week, with a 2000 calorie cap, but no caloric minimum, IE I can fast 20-60hrs during the week if I feel like it. I will carb up on the weekend similar to what you have been doing, but the weekdays are all about the burn! Right now that is really about it, I don't think I need a rigid plan, but will make one if it seems like I need one for accountability. Right now with the current mindset I don't think that will be necessary.

After the reading I’ve done and my own experience, I think continued straight keto is a very poor idea - it should always be cyclic, to maintain insulin sensitivity and the ability to flex fuel. The only people who should stay in extended keto with no insulin exposure really should be true diabetics who have very significant metabolic damage that need to repair their diabetes.

But all iterations of lifestyle and bodybuilding very low carb/keto diets incorporate a cyclic carb exposure, to restore hormonal output, maintain insulin sensitivity, help maintain thyroid, leptin, etc. as well as benefit from the inherent anabolism for muscle maintenance. Whether this be like DiPasquale’s 1-2 day carb up, a high carb day, a cheat meal or partial day, they all utilize a window of heightened insulin & carbohydrate exposure. And the diets themselves being successful are not underpinned on being in actual ketosis; if you come in and out won’t change that a sustained deficit will have you burning fat off over time. But overall satiety and brain function will remain better if carbs stay very low and ketosis can often be achieved. Plus the fats are necessary for hormonal functions the carbs are simply not.

I think the 10-12 day keto startup period as you are doing before your first carb-up the way DiPasquale has always recommended (and everyone else ripped off from him) makes perfect sense. Just helps get you used to using fat more efficiently.
 
2026 has been rebuilding the habits as well, while you work on getting the niggles, as hyde would say, fixed. I think you're tracking great for this rebuild!
 
After the reading I’ve done and my own experience, I think continued straight keto is a very poor idea - it should always be cyclic, to maintain insulin sensitivity and the ability to flex fuel. The only people who should stay in extended keto with no insulin exposure really should be true diabetics who have very significant metabolic damage that need to repair their diabetes.

But all iterations of lifestyle and bodybuilding very low carb/keto diets incorporate a cyclic carb exposure, to restore hormonal output, maintain insulin sensitivity, help maintain thyroid, leptin, etc. as well as benefit from the inherent anabolism for muscle maintenance. Whether this be like DiPasquale’s 1-2 day carb up, a high carb day, a cheat meal or partial day, they all utilize a window of heightened insulin & carbohydrate exposure. And the diets themselves being successful are not underpinned on being in actual ketosis; if you come in and out won’t change that a sustained deficit will have you burning fat off over time. But overall satiety and brain function will remain better if carbs stay very low and ketosis can often be achieved. Plus the fats are necessary for hormonal functions the carbs are simply not.

I think the 10-12 day keto startup period as you are doing before your first carb-up the way DiPasquale has always recommended (and everyone else ripped off from him) makes perfect sense. Just helps get you used to using fat more efficiently.
This has always been a point of mine that many people miss, even if you are not peeing out ketones doesn't mean you are't burning a lot of fat, and or ketones for that matter. It's the hormonal situation you are after, and that doesn't actually require ketosis, just a deficit and low insulin levels.

I also agree staying keto ain't the way to go, after a while the ability to process carbs as fuel gets hindered as the enzyme required stops being made when there are no carbs in the diet for extended periods. Then it takes a while to start developing at the level needed.

Yeah the longer kick off period seems to be in a lot of the cyclical carb diets like The Anabolic Diet, The UD2.0, CBL, CarbNite all seem to have that ketosis priming period.
2026 has been rebuilding the habits as well, while you work on getting the niggles, as hyde would say, fixed. I think you're tracking great for this rebuild!
Agreed, and I have put a lot of work into getting better this year. So much physical therapy and whatnot. I have been training myself on doing tings I don't want to do because any training session I can't push myself on is one I don't really desire to do. So I just feel I have built up to this, and now it is really going to take off!!!
 
Oh boy, I just got up after about an hour and my quads are already sore!
 
Oh boy, I just got up after about an hour and my quads are already sore!


1791310640077.webp
 
You going to be supplementing any during this (natty or non natty categories).

How many weeks do you have? Starting and goal weight?

Excited to see this. You have the experience to knock this type of thing out of the park .
 
Oh they are flowing through me alright! Using the restroom last night was not fun!!! A little better this morning.
You going to be supplementing any during this (natty or non natty categories).

How many weeks do you have? Starting and goal weight?

Excited to see this. You have the experience to knock this type of thing out of the park .
Right now I only have plans for staples and one of the diet aids from BuckedUp as required, but I am considering adding in some ergonomic aids as well. I just haven't decided but considering some GW, L-Carnitine, and I still have a little clen around the house from my last prep. So I have a few things to kick up the intensity already. I also have enough oil to do a little Sport TRT if I decide to go that way as well. For right now just using this contest as that jump off point. Currently running TRT at 20mg daily often forgetting one shot a week so averaging around 120-140mg of test a week. If I bump things I might bump up to like 300mg/wk but honestly this depends on how things begin to shape up over the first couple of weeks. Since I wouldn't consider myself a picture of health right now, I want to be get in a bit better shape before I consider that. So it might be a month in, it might not be until after the challenge. The challenge is 8 weeks long so not really all that long for a cut from where I am now, but I intend to keep the cut going until I reach whatever level of leanness I decide is good enough. I am thinking somwhere between 10-15% will be lean enough, but we shall see.

Training was pretty good last night, Any time I can get 3x5 on pull ups, and add some more pulling to finish it off is a good session with my shoulder right now.

WU = 3 minutes Rowing Machine, 2 minutes recumbent bike, 10 minutes Stairmill all @ a high resistance - My knee was aching, so I had to find a comfortable way to get warmed up and add a little volume to the lower body. I left the level on 1 and kept my body at a static height, slowly pushing down with one leg at a time so each step was like a slow forced step up rather than just walking the steps. I like to use it almost like a sled in that way. HR 120-135

Lat Pull Downs -
2 warm up sets
NG Pull Ups - Warm-ups - 1, 1, 1,
NG Pull-ups - Work Sets 3, 3, 3, 3, 6

Lat Pull Downs - 130 x2 sets failure @LRP

Single Arm Chest Supported Row - 100 x2RIR, 100 x fail @LRP x 2 sets

Dead Hang from Pull-up bar - 2x fail

OH Triceps Ext - 50 x fail@LRP, 40x fail@LRP

Leaning DB Lateral Swings 20 x3 sets to LRP


If anyone is new to my logging LRP is Long Range Partials

Average step count for the last 3 days is right at 13000 steps

Nutrition yesterday =
Breakfast -
2nd half of CAVA bowl
Pre-Workout Snack - Fairlife Strawberry Shake - 42g protein
Dinner - Grilled Salmon on fresh veggies, mashed potatoes replaced with small Ceaser salad, and I added on a 2nd salmon filet to get the protien up.

I don't have access to a scale but I feel I am dropping some weight. The amount of fluids I am losing from urinating more often is kind of wild. I am drinking a lot more fluids and have been drinking Gatorade Zero to help a bit with electrolytes since the altitude up here apparently makes getting dehydrated very easy for people not used to it. I will say the dry air is having it's way with me, causing my excema to flare up which sucks.

Either way, I feel like I am slimming, my 33 inch waist pants were getting a bit snug and I put them on today and they felt like they fit better than usual, almost as if they had already been stretched out a little and not the first wear after a wash. So I assume we are getting some water weight down for sure, and of course a lil fat burn too.
 
With your bf starting point where it is, if you are really eying sub-15% then I would spend the 8 weeks without increases androgens, then do something like 200 test 100 mast or whatever after the contest. Just use l-carn now, maybe GW as it plays well with carnitine and otc stuff like Y, green tea etc. Then in 8 weeks you will be leaner and better bloodwork from it, diet will be locked in, and you could benefit more from Sports TRT. Test will aromatize less then, you will need more androgen to retain muscle, density from Mast will be easier to see, higher nutrient partitioning as metabolism has been creeping down. And you know you have a good 16 weeks+ of work ahead to be chasing 10%, so that makes the second half more exciting! I’d also wait on the Clen, to keep that up your sleeve.

If you just want to do the most in 8 weeks, obviously leverage everything right now. But that is not a good way to pursue 12% bf longterm as you know better than me 😄

Nice work on nutrition yesterday 👍
 
now this looks like your normal log style!
Yes Sir, this is a good sign that I am being more intentional and locking in.
Yeah man, looks like a good start and plan. Excited to see your progress.😎👍
Thanks, me too!
With your bf starting point where it is, if you are really eying sub-15% then I would spend the 8 weeks without increases androgens, then do something like 200 test 100 mast or whatever after the contest. Just use l-carn now, maybe GW as it plays well with carnitine and otc stuff like Y, green tea etc. Then in 8 weeks you will be leaner and better bloodwork from it, diet will be locked in, and you could benefit more from Sports TRT. Test will aromatize less then, you will need more androgen to retain muscle, density from Mast will be easier to see, higher nutrient partitioning as metabolism has been creeping down. And you know you have a good 16 weeks+ of work ahead to be chasing 10%, so that makes the second half more exciting! I’d also wait on the Clen, to keep that up your sleeve.

If you just want to do the most in 8 weeks, obviously leverage everything right now. But that is not a good way to pursue 12% bf longterm as you know better than me 😄

Nice work on nutrition yesterday 👍
This is pretty much the exact situation I was looking at. Lean up a decent bit first, and get lipids in a better position before adding in the androgens. I don't think I have low enough bodyfat right now to worry about losing a lot of muscle mass this first 8 weeks as long as I am able to train sufficiently. I mean I don't think I drop below 800ngl. So really it comes down to keeping to my plan and adding in as much movement as possible to keep NEAT higher. Then like you said as things are getting tighter I can add them in for a good boost when it is actually needed and a more useful tool for me.

Diet is already relatively locked in, calories might be a little higher than intended but carbs are super low, and I am making an effort to keep calories down at a reasonable level. Once I get home and can cook some prepped meals I will be able to really lock things down a lot more. Either way, I will be keto adapted by this weekend if not already somewhat there from all of the intermittent fasting, I am pretty well adjusted to burning fat for energy a lot of the time.
 
I also reccomend holding off on the clen. I think you will get just as good results without it at this point and will be more CV strain while being on it at a heavier weight with less aerobic capacity until you get in better cardio shape.

Cortisol control, insulin sensitivity will get you most of the way !
 
I saw the pics before I read the text and I was totally gonna call bullshit on your befores lol. bro knows what he's doing here ;) its smart that you remembered not to smile too. the afters will be

I'm pumped to see you getting at it, its going to breath more fire into the community !

Yeah, we know once you kick this into gear that you’re going to bring the hammer on them and unleash the beast. They won’t know what hit ‘em when you’re finished. And smart move not showing those Quadzilla thighs you have.

^^ This! Those are good starting pics! I know you’re going to kill this challenge and it will just get you rolling! You’re already zoned in too! Love it! Where are you again? Sucks it’s causing your eczema to flare!
 
The elevation and drier air out near the mountains definitely will require monitoring hydration, physical exertion, and lotion since you mentioned eczema.

On our trip, kids needed to lotion up everyday plus chapstick, etc. To keep their skin from drying out and itching.
 
I also reccomend holding off on the clen. I think you will get just as good results without it at this point and will be more CV strain while being on it at a heavier weight with less aerobic capacity until you get in better cardio shape.

Cortisol control, insulin sensitivity will get you most of the way !
Agreed, not much need for it right now, The initial weightloss should be relatively easy as long as I follow a plan.
^^ This! Those are good starting pics! I know you’re going to kill this challenge and it will just get you rolling! You’re already zoned in too! Love it! Where are you again? Sucks it’s causing your eczema to flare!
Thanks, yeah, I am bad enough to look rough, but close enough that 10lbs will make a huge difference and anything over that will be great. I am in Denver Colorado, I will be heading home today, and I am ready for it!
The elevation and drier air out near the mountains definitely will require monitoring hydration, physical exertion, and lotion since you mentioned eczema.

On our trip, kids needed to lotion up everyday plus chapstick, etc. To keep their skin from drying out and itching.
Yeah, absolutely, it is a huge difference. I have problems every time I come up here. I also have issues in Dallas, it is so dry up there a lot of time, but it isn't as bad as being here for sure. My sinuses are bleading from the dryness.

No training yesterday, we worked until about 7, and then we went to have dinner. We splurged a little, the network guy wanted to thank me for helping him out. So I got a 12oz ribeye and some fresh veggies. I stuck to that since I knew it was going to be pretty high calories.

I did get in 12.485 in steps though.

@Hyde I would say I have really put these Xero Glenn's through the paces on this trip, averaging 12500-13000 steps, and I definitely really like them. There are times where I wish the bottom was a bit thicker, walking on things like cobblestone, or a raised edge on the sidewalk can be a little uncomfortable, but in general I really do like them. I also think part of it is my feet adjusting to walking that many steps and started to get a little sensitive to the pressure. Most of the walk to and from work is on cobblestone so lots of corners and stuff hitting the ball and heel of the foot. I also feel that my stride has improved from the ground feedback. I notice when I start to kind of do a peg legged walk that came from being in that boot for so damn long.

I definitely would not want to hike in nature with the Xero shoes thinner sole, or do really long distance walks, or jogging, more about the state of my feet than the shoe itself. I have definitely been considering a slightly more cushioned zero drop shoe for longer walks or jogging and the like. Save the coasts for basic workouts, and wearing around in general.
 
Last edited:
a fat ol ribeye sounds like my kinda treat!
It was really good, this place has had 3 winning meals so far this week. If your ever in Denver and at Union Station the place is called The Thirsty Lion. While the steak was not super thick they cooked it very well, some nice char, and still a nice medium rare cook. No complaints other than the fact I might have pushed calories a bit higher than I wanted for the day, but I am sure it helped with recovering from the training. Pushing myself into the LRP is working very well right now to get me the required stimulation, with the controlled contractions and focus on perfect form being the safety guards.
 
Yeah I have 4 different pairs of Xero shoes and wear them for different things/demands.

The X1 Mids I just got are very supportive, both underfoot and at the ankle, so I used those for Disneyland where we did 18,000 steps/day. If I am walking my neighborhood, I usually wear my Wynns, and they have very little thickness or support at all. My Prios have no ankle support but the sole is thicker/more rubbery, and that’s what I often wear to/from the gym, or pull in during the off-season. I have a discontinued trial shoe I wear for all hiking, wet/muddy stuff, and been benching in the previous 6 months at least before I just got the X1s. They were my go-to for comps and expos for the ankle support all day standing/walking. I also just wear flip flops a lot for errands in the summer.

I probably should get better flops that are more thoughtfully designed. There was a guy at America’s Strongest Master and the PSL Masters Championship that wore flip flops for a 780lb yoke carry. They were Rainbow brand, which costs $80, but seem worth it after seeing them hold up fine to that.
 
Yeah I have 4 different pairs of Xero shoes and wear them for different things/demands.

The X1 Mids I just got are very supportive, both underfoot and at the ankle, so I used those for Disneyland where we did 18,000 steps/day. If I am walking my neighborhood, I usually wear my Wynns, and they have very little thickness or support at all. My Prios have no ankle support but the sole is thicker/more rubbery, and that’s what I often wear to/from the gym, or pull in during the off-season. I have a discontinued trial shoe I wear for all hiking, wet/muddy stuff, and been benching in the previous 6 months at least before I just got the X1s. They were my go-to for comps and expos for the ankle support all day standing/walking. I also just wear flip flops a lot for errands in the summer.

I probably should get better flops that are more thoughtfully designed. There was a guy at America’s Strongest Master and the PSL Masters Championship that wore flip flops for a 780lb yoke carry. They were Rainbow brand, which costs $80, but seem worth it after seeing them hold up fine to that.
A 780 lbs yoke carry in flip flops sounds wild…that brand needs to put that in their ads.
 
A 780 lbs yoke carry in flip flops sounds wild…that brand needs to put that in their ads.

No joke!! That’s crazy!!!

Glad you’re getting to come home today Chris! Need some humidity! Haha My body doesn’t know how to handle dry air either! The steak sounds perfect! Worth the extra calories and you kept it low carb! I agree about the 10lbs! Will make a big difference! I’m sure just in the first 2 weeks you’ll see some good changes dropping water weight!
 
Back
Top