HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hey HIT4ME,

I don’t want to address every point you are making. Some make sense to me and others don’t. But I do want to address one distinction that supports your argument that Keto causes insulin resistance. My original point was that for OBESE people a calorie restricted Keto diet resets the pancreas to pulse insulin at a rate that increases muscle receptor sensitivity. This webpage summarizes my understanding in plain language:

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/does-eating-low-carb-cause-insulin-resistance/

“It appears that weight loss is the deciding factor, and since low carb diets tend to be more effective at inducing weight loss in subjects, they also tend to be better at reducing insulin resistance in insulin-resistant, overweight people. Once you’re lean and weight stable, though, very low carb diets (less than 10% of calories from carbs) can reduce insulin sensitivity. This is normal and totally necessary in the context of a very low carb diet. If we didn’t become insulin resistant while eating very low carb, our brain wouldn’t be able to get the glucose it needed to keep us alive.”

Now I agree with all but the last sentence in that statement. My understanding is the brain �� only needs 20 grams of carbohydrates (glucose) daily to function properly. And metabolically the brain has first claim on blood glucose.

That said, my weight loss experience as an obese person (60 lbs weight loss in 4 months on a very calorie restrictive Keto diet in 2016) is consistent with the above narrative.

To make a long story short, I think you were arguing that insulin resistance can be INCREASED for the non-obese on a low-calorie Keto diet, then we can probably agree.

Good stuff! Thanks, HIT4ME!
Yes - weight loss is a pretty big factor. And that is not exactly what I am saying, but you are on the right path. Some of the reason that some of the stuff I said does not make sense is just that it seems contradictory in a way at first. How do obese people have similar metabolic processes to starving people? It does not make sense at first - but that's how it is.

Variation between one person to another. It’s no different than one person having a naturally higher aerobic capacity, another having a higher percentage of fast twitch muscle(and thus more speed), etc etc etc.

I think we can all agree that no two human beings are created equal. This madness that is constantly shoved down everyone’s throat that we all respond to food the same way is just that- madness.

I see allowances made all the time for different training philosophies being better for different people- hell, you and I both in a pretty small boat of people that subscribe to a pretty controversial approach to exercise.

I simply can’t understand how we can accept the “different strokes for different folks” stuff in regards to training variety, but there’s hard and fast rules and no variation when it comes to diet. Follow the food pyramid, shovel carbs like there’s no tomorrow because our bodies all work the same- if it works for me it’ll work for you. We know better than that.
We are all human beings. There are variations, but if a theory is valid, it will apply to all of us - if it does not work for someone; then there is a piece of information we are missing. If this were not true, we would not ever go to a doctor - because they would have no useful knowledge about how to treat you, because you would be different than everyone they have seen before.

There are a lot of variables, and it can be hard to get your mind around - and we don't even know all the variables yet - but they are all the same variables.

And if someone does not respond to carbs - that is a metabolic dysfunction and there is a reason for it. Some people may have genetic predispositions, but A LOT of people have diet induced dysfunction - and it isn't from carb consumption.

Like Ive said before, keto only becomes a negative when you’re not actively burning fat anymore.

And as far as the brain only needing 20g’s... At one point- and maybe they changed it- the USDA or AMA came out and said the human brain can’t function without 130g’s of dietary carbs per day. That’s a board that made this guideline. These are people with PHD’s in medicine, biology, etc. They know better than that. So why does this nonsense continue to get pushed? Because lobbyist money talks, and it has huge influence.
HIT4ME remember that when you start citing studies. Most of them have an agenda. I talk about the 1972 one with nitrates all the time. We reference the car Datone study, and how flawed it was around here a lot. These studies tend to be biased.
The part in bold is just wrong. Actually, keto becomes a problem BECAUSE you are burning fat. That is where ALL of the health issues come about.

I have not quoted any studies - but I can if you like. There are probably thousands of examples of scientists inducing mice and rats with diabetes - and even when induced with streptozotocin they typically utilize high fat diets. It is not like it is one study with an agenda - it is many, many studies with an agenda - the agenda being reliable induction of diabetes - and it is pretty well accepted that lipid overload is the best way to induce it. Not even sugar by itself is reliable.

It is also confirmable with general observation - most diabetics have big issues controlling cholesterol levels.

Also, keep in mind I am not talking about data studies, etc. - I am talking about observational studies on cell metabolism looking at how a cell functions. This is pretty basic biology. Fat people are REALLY great at burning fat. Starving people are too. It sounds contradictory, but it's not once you think on it a little. You burn what you have available, and fat is toxic.

Think of it like this. If I am trying to frame a house and I send my crew to the job site and give them all drills - but then expect them to put the lumber together with nails (fat) instead of screws (carbs) - how much framing will get done?? It will take them all day to hammer in nails with the butt of a drill. Eventually, they are all gonna go get hammers and deal with what they are being given for a supply.

This is how we work. We like to run on mostly carbs, with some fat. If we need 100 calories and there is 75 calories from carbs and 25 from fat, fine - we can be flexible and deal with it. If it is 60/40 or whatever our cells will swap over machinery to burn whatever we throw at them. This is the basis of metabolic flexibility.

But what happens when you have elevated calorie levels all the time? Just because you have more doesn't mean you can burn more. You have the same energy demands. So you burn what you can and try to store the rest...only then you have stored fat that needs to be burned. It gets released and since the energy demand is still being out paced by your food intake, you now have fat in your blood and your body at some point will try to burn that instead of the carbs - it's a bigger risk in the blood than the carbs, which can form AGEs and be eliminated through the urine.

So you swap all of your machinery in for fat burning machinery to burn more fat (this is well documented in obesity) - and you burn fat like crazy. But if you need 100 calories and you are getting 80+ of them from fat (including stored fat), then when you eat carbs, it's REALLY hard to burn them.

So you have to store the carbs (as fat). And things get worse.

So then you go on a diet, and your body lacks sufficient carbs/calories. So your body eats more fat - the fat that is stored - which requires the same fat burning machinery you upregulated during obesity. Great, you've been planning for this period of starvation for a LONG time. Only, now all you have to burn is fat, so you go all in 100% on the fat burning machinery and ditch all the carb burning machinery....which makes it worse in the regard that now carbs are now even less tolerable and you've become more sensitive to them.

And this is actually part of the goal of ketosis - to mimick starvation - and it does so in a way similar to this analogy.

Hmmm. If true, I would be brain dead (and maybe you think I am!) This web page says the 130g of carbs is fake news. But it is referenced...

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/low-carb-ketogenic-diet-brain

“In fact, a report by the US Institute of Medicine's Food and Nutrition Board states:

"The lower limit of dietary carbohydrates compatible with life apparently is zero, provided that adequate amounts of protein and fat are consumed."

Although a zero-carb diet isn't recommended because it eliminates many healthy foods, you can definitely eat much less than 130 grams per day and maintain good brain function.”

Interesting stuff. Thanks!
Yeah, keep in mind you're designed to survive. Your body has a lot of ways to fuel the brain. Ideally it would use a lot of glucose in most situations. But this is pretty much THE reason we have ketones - it's a good backup fuel for the brain. We can also convert fat to carbohydrates through gluconeogenesis - but this is fairly inefficient and difficult.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Did the link ever get posted? I’d love to actually read it.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Did the link ever get posted? I’d love to actually read it.
Havent found it again yet. Been a bit busy, but as soon as I find it I will post it

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
The best Diet is Intermittent fasting. Keto is very effective for short term fat loss.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The best Diet is Intermittent fasting. Keto is very effective for short term fat loss.
The “best diet” is one you can adhere to.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6038311/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2898565/

I cant find the original link but both of these look to have contributed to the info of the write up
KD - Keto diet
NKD - Non keto diet

Neither study suggests suppression of IGF-1 during keto. Your first link takes a KD, NKD and a control group(CG) with all groups being in a "energy" surplus and look at decrease visceral, subq fat and lean tissue gain. The KD group had a significant reduction in visceral fat and total fat mass but they noted that the KD group didnt have an increase in total body mass (LBM/ muscle tissue) where as the CG and NKD did. So, within the 8 week study of strict adherence to a keto diet there wasn't in impact on muscle loss.

Second link is how ketones effect cancer cells and epileptics lol

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Adhere, what about the obese eating? I’am pretty sure that’s easy to do.
What? “Obese” people aren’t adhering to a diet protocol, hence the term obese.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes they’re. It’s obese people here on AM, doing a diet protocol.
Like who?

Is their total kcal intake in a deficit? Or for the sake of arguing can you prove they’re in a total energy deficit? Nope.

When you can hold them personally accountable then you have no idea what they’re actually doing outside this forum.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Like who?

Is their total kcal intake in a deficit? Or for the sake of arguing can you prove they’re in a total energy deficit? Nope.

When you can hold them personally accountable then you have no idea what they’re actually doing outside this forum.
I agree,at 100! I just hate to see people with high expectations and follow the wrong Diet and Exercise program.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
KD - Keto diet
NKD - Non keto diet

Neither study suggests suppression of IGF-1 during keto. Your first link takes a KD, NKD and a control group(CG) with all groups being in a "energy" surplus and look at decrease visceral, subq fat and lean tissue gain. The KD group had a significant reduction in visceral fat and total fat mass but they noted that the KD group didnt have an increase in total body mass (LBM/ muscle tissue) where as the CG and NKD did. So, within the 8 week study of strict adherence to a keto diet there wasn't in impact on muscle loss.

Second link is how ketones effect cancer cells and epileptics lol

https://academic.oup.com/endo/article/144/6/2676/2881789

https://blog.humanos.me/lifestyle-modifications-to-extend-life-by-limiting-growth/

Here is a couple speaking on the subject more

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
What? “Obese” people aren’t adhering to a diet protocol, hence the term obese.
Technically Obese people are adhereing to a diet. Albiet a 10K a day diet, but it is still a diet.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It’s a lot of Guys here on AM getting big without the muscles.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What about the people that take their pictures in the same place,lighting,and Mirrors. Manipulation.. lol!
Some people like to deceive I guess?

I know The Solution uses the same spot with the lighting casting in the same direction day in and day out, same poses and has weekly weigh ins with his coach. He’s really the only person I can think of who doesn’t use filters, stands closer to the camera or uses different camera angles - all the while doing full body poses not just upper body. Kleen took full body photos as well until his foot injury.

I digress, back to Keto and IGF-1 levels.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Some people like to deceive I guess?

I know The Solution uses the same spot with the lighting casting in the same direction day in and day out, same poses and has weekly weigh ins with his coach that’s really the only person I can think of who doesn’t use filters, stands closer to the camera or uses different camera angles - while all the while doing full body poses not just upper body. Kleen took full body photos as well until his foot injury.

I digress, back to Keto and IGF-1 levels.
Interesting.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Kinda like your youtube video to debunk scholarly works?
Did you even watch it? It wasnt just a guy stting his opinion. He cited multiple studies as evidence. Let me guess, studies dont count when they dont support your position?

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
People are doing crazy eating and thinking they are on a diet.
I dont necessarily disagree. But 10k cals a day? Youre saying thats typical? Cmon...

Ive watched “my 600lb life” on more than a couple occasions and even those people arent eating 10k a day. Poor eating habits, absolutely. Lets not over generalize and exaggerate, though.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Did you even watch it? It wasnt just a guy stting his opinion. He cited multiple studies as evidence. Let me guess, studies dont count when they dont support your position?
Did I say that no. Dont put words in my mouth. I could say the same to you, since what I wrote you disagree with because you believe in Keto

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I dont necessarily disagree. But 10k cals a day? Youre saying thats typical? Cmon...

Ive watched “my 600lb life” on more than a couple occasions and even those people arent eating 10k a day. Poor eating habits, absolutely. Lets not over generalize and exaggerate, though.
600lb life is Tv. and We are communicating with each other through social media. I had 5000 calories for thanksgiving,and I watched other people eat more than me.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lot of people throwing theories and studies here. This is not aimed at anyone. But, how many of you practice what you preach here? Knowledge without application is just waste. This is what I believe. People living in a glass house shouldn’t throw stones.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Lot of people throwing theories and studies here. This is not aimed at anyone. But, how many of you practice what you preach here? Knowledge without application is just waste. This is what I believe. People living in a glass house shouldn’t throw stones.
There are a couple that practice what they preach

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cheetos diet is life.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is the same study you cited earlier, it is in short talking about ketosis/ketones effects on various illnesses
https://academic.oup.com/endo/article/144/6/2676/2881789
IGF1 and IGFR gene expression
In contrast, the CR-Ket diet increased IGF1R mRNA levels in virtually all regions of the brain compared with both AL-Std and CR-Std diet groups (Fig. 2). IGFR mRNA levels were not appreciably altered affected by either diet treatment in the Purkinje and granule cell layers of cerebellum.

From the link you posted. That whole study is IGF in brain protein, but it actually says it increases from keto diets, not decrease as you suggested.

Also, GLUT3 mRNA levels were decreased in the CR-Std group and increased in the CR-Ket group, similar to the pattern for IGF1R expression

Again, from the study you posted.

https://blog.humanos.me/lifestyle-modifications-to-extend-life-by-limiting-growth/
This one is kinda "iffy" only because it was a keto diet and its effects on Rheumatoid Arthritis. RA has increased levels of IGF1, so putting patients on keto to reduce the IGF-1 in synovial fluids makes sense. So any incremental decrease is IGF is noted, I believe the age range was older of the participants as well, I could be mistaken.. I looked at a ton of different links
-heres the link to support this https://academic.oup.com/rheumatology/article/41/3/352/1784411
Here is a couple speaking on the subject more
see bold.

Man, all that reading gave me a headache lol

Sevaldrud

Awards
For what it is worth - I have been on keto for 30 weeks. Lost 42 pounds the first 20 weeks. Measured blood glucose 3 times per day in this period. Blood sugar and blood pressure improved a lot. After 20 weeks blood work was better than I have ever measured. My doctor said of my diabetes 2: "you have the diagnosis, but you dont have the disease anymore". Have felt great since day 7. Have been cycling slow carbs the last 10 weeks, and to my big surprise, gaining muscle is easier than it has been the last 25 years. Improved insulin sensitivity, perhaps. I dont need carbs to do intense training anymore.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
For what it is worth - I have been on keto for 30 weeks. Lost 42 pounds the first 20 weeks. Measured blood glucose 3 times per day in this period. Blood sugar and blood pressure improved a lot. After 20 weeks blood work was better than I have ever measured. My doctor said of my diabetes 2: "you have the diagnosis, but you dont have the disease anymore". Have felt great since day 7. Have been cycling slow carbs the last 10 weeks, and to my big surprise, gaining muscle is easier than it has been the last 25 years. Improved insulin sensitivity, perhaps. I dont need carbs to do intense training anymore.
Good info and Congratulations !!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Variation between one person to another. It’s no different than one person having a naturally higher aerobic capacity, another having a higher percentage of fast twitch muscle(and thus more speed), etc etc etc.

I think we can all agree that no two human beings are created equal. This madness that is constantly shoved down everyone’s throat that we all respond to food the same way is just that- madness.

I see allowances made all the time for different training philosophies being better for different people- hell, you and I both in a pretty small boat of people that subscribe to a pretty controversial approach to exercise.

I simply can’t understand how we can accept the “different strokes for different folks” stuff in regards to training variety, but there’s hard and fast rules and no variation when it comes to diet. Follow the food pyramid, shovel carbs like there’s no tomorrow because our bodies all work the same- if it works for me it’ll work for you. We know better than that.
exactly..we are not alike, everyone needs to find what work best for them....just sayin

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Good video
I finally had a chance to watch this and follow it through before commenting. The guy IS just stating his opinion, based on other people's opinions, for the most part.

He has one study that shows BHB may improve muscle RETENTION during a diet. This seems plausible, our bodies have adapted to survive - at least if I'm like everyone else - and having a signal that says, "Hey, we have fat to burn, only use muscle for necessary life processes, not for energy" is a pretty decent metabolic adaptation. Being fat has a similar adaptation - Leptin - which has been shown to have the same function (again, adding evidence that obesity and starvation - or low carb diets which mimick starvation - are more similar than you may think).

Beyond this study, he sites a bunch of "low carb" websites, where people state their opinions about how great low carb diets are. At least the Siimland.com article does have some references, most of which talk about using leucine to avoid muscle loss, and another which shows that 8 athletes did not lose strength on a low-carb diet. Again; I'm not saying that you can't build or retain muscle on a low carb diet, or whatever - but an athlete who is not eating carbs and not losing strength is interesting; if only because we would be using the experience of 8 people in this study to discount the experience of many, many users in uncontrolled settings - but hey, it's a study and interesting. This is an easy situation to test yourself and I suspect that you will find the study is flawed, but so are the horror stories about muscle loss on low-carb diets. I can tell you the horror stories about strength loss on a PSMF are flawed too - even starving your body doesn't burn muscle like people think.

But it is interesting to write an entire article about maintaining muscle mass on a low carb diet and 4 out of 5 studies talk about amino acid supplementation and only one has anything to do with low carb diets and muscle loss. I don't think I even need to look into the quality of the study any further beyond the small group of people used and the fact that someone who should have been scouring the journals for these studies while writing an article could only find 1.

And finally - the last citation in the video leads to a third study (only the second study used directly by the video) that doesn't even really use a very low carb diet. It reduced carbs by 15% in the KD group and then tested to see if this put them in MILD ketogenesis. It did. And muscle loss was avoided. In a mild ketogenic state.

At any rate, it's not really chock full of science as much as opinion. And it still speaks nothing to the fact that, sure I never said you will lose muscle, but it is not a healthy long-term approach without consequences. For some people, it may be worth the consequences (like epileptics); and most people may not even really be aware of the consequences, even after they are suffering from them. It's a tool, it can be used, but it is no panacea like people would like to believe.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
exactly..we are not alike, everyone needs to find what work best for them....just sayin
I bet you don't tell your doctor not to bother with blood work because you are different than everyone else anyway. :)

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cowboy im looking forward to seeing if me to shreds you up?
How much weight you try in to loose?
What AAS are you going to add?
Mast and low test ? Tren and Winny?

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Cowboy im looking forward to seeing if me to shreds you up?
How much weight you try in to loose?
What AAS are you going to add?
Mast and low test ? Tren and Winny?
Havent decided how much I want to lose yet, after the water weight came off from my last bulk I stood at 183 from 173. I plan on keeping test low, just my TRT dose, and gonna run Tbol and Oral tren on my next run probably in mid-January - early February

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Havent decided how much I want to lose yet, after the water weight came off from my last bulk I stood at 183 from 173. I plan on keeping test low, just my TRT dose, and gonna run Tbol and Oral tren on my next run probably in mid-January - early February
So keto, just test, no AAS?

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
I bet you don't tell your doctor not to bother with blood work because you are different than everyone else anyway. :)

LOL!

I used to think I had alien DNA. My I injured tissue healed more quickly than anyone I knew, body always warmed up (no need for pre-workout stretching), never had a broken bone despite eight years of high school and college football, and falling off a roof without injury twice (unbreakable syndrome), etc.

As I aged, I became more human.

Interestingly. I do have higher than average Neanderthal and “hunter-gatherer” DNA. 99% of my DNA is Nordic (85% Scandinavian and 14% Finnish) which is why the hunter-gatherer share is higher than the farmer DNA. I also have a benign genetic liver condition called Gilbert’s syndrome.” (GS). GS means I have more bile in my bloodstream that breaks down fats so they more easily burn as fuel or flush out as waste.

In short, I eat a lot of meat, have more brown fat than most people ( a good thing for weight loss) and don’t have to worry about high cholesterol.

On the down side, I am very sensitive to carbohydrates and feel like if I eat more than 150-200g of carbs. On days I work out, 200g is my carb target.

I was able to finally piece all of this together about 2 years ago. Since then, I’ve adopted a diet and workout plan that makes me feel great!

My point is that not only are we all different, but the genetic differences effect us in ways we are just beginning to understand. The best gauge of what is best for your body is how you feel. Physically, mentally, and emotionally. Trust your body!

Stay safe! Stay strong!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Danger, danger, this is a very tribal conversation... too emotionally driven. Many peoples first effective diet was keto so you are going to play hell there because it is an emotional attachment that feels like it is being attacked. So I am out of it other than to say I am shocked with how chemically based this board is that someone didn't just say... Easy answer use MK-677 while on keto to counteract the possibility of that...

Wagz86

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Danger, danger, this is a very tribal conversation... too emotionally driven. Many peoples first effective diet was keto so you are going to play hell there because it is an emotional attachment that feels like it is being attacked. So I am out of it other than to say I am shocked with how chemically based this board is that someone didn't just say... Easy answer use MK-677 while on keto to counteract the possibility of that...
I didn’t wanna be the one to say that. I mean if keto lowers igf and MK increases it. Seems win win.