Ketogenic Diets Suppress IGF-1

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
LOL!
I also have a benign genetic liver condition called Gilbert’s syndrome.” (GS). GS means I have more bile in my bloodstream that breaks down fats so they more easily burn as fuel or flush out as waste.

In short, I eat a lot of meat, have more brown fat than most people ( a good thing for weight loss) and don’t have to worry about high cholesterol.

On the down side, I am very sensitive to carbohydrates and feel like if I eat more than 150-200g of carbs. On days I work out, 200g is my carb target.
Isn't Gilbert's associated with worsening of fat digestion and not vice-versa? Also interested in why you can't handle carbs bc of Gilberts?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Is spam acceptable on a keto diet??

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm not sure Spam is acceptable any time 🤮

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Although the ketogenic diet may have benefits for people with certain illnesses, this does not mean it will meet a healthy person’s requirements. I would recommend giving it a shot to a morbidly obese person, but other than that, I wouldn’t recommend it because the amount of fat that needs to be consumed is very high, and not everyone does well on a diet like that.

bigdadybry

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Been doing it or something similar for over a decade, continuously with occasional cheats, before it was called Keto. When someone would ask what I was doing to lose weight, I said "modified Atkins" before Keto became a thing.

I began lowering the protein, adding more fat, about year 2 and more by year 5. I eliminate all carbs the best I can. Impossible, especially if eating nuts, but sugar, HFCS, etc are completely absent, with the exception of cheat days.

If I stay on it for more than a week now, I keep losing fat. If I have a cheat day within 7 days of being back on the "diet", I feel ill the following day. A cheat day every 10+ days, no issues. Energy and health have been excellent for a decade. I have began tracking how often I get the common cold. I enter it in a calendar because it is so infrequent. Without looking it up, it has been 5+ years between cough/cold episodes. Flu? Haven't had it since starting the diet (I have had 3 flu shots in 10 years). I had one day 5 years ago where I was sick, vomiting for a day. That's it. I have 4 kids, I am exposed to school sickness and have built an immunity because of this. But if I was not "healthy", I would get ill. I take care of the kids when they are sick, vomiting because my wife will get sick, I do not. I did not start exercising until around 3-4 years ago.

This type of regiment is definitely person-dependent. For me, it is highly effective and I am reluctant to change due to how successful it has been for me and how healthy I am.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Been doing it or something similar for over a decade, continuously with occasional cheats, before it was called Keto. When someone would ask what I was doing to lose weight, I said "modified Atkins" before Keto became a thing.

I began lowering the protein, adding more fat, about year 2 and more by year 5. I eliminate all carbs the best I can. Impossible, especially if eating nuts, but sugar, HFCS, etc are completely absent, with the exception of cheat days.

If I stay on it for more than a week now, I keep losing fat. If I have a cheat day within 7 days of being back on the "diet", I feel ill the following day. A cheat day every 10+ days, no issues. Energy and health have been excellent for a decade. I have began tracking how often I get the common cold. I enter it in a calendar because it is so infrequent. Without looking it up, it has been 5+ years between cough/cold episodes. Flu? Haven't had it since starting the diet (I have had 3 flu shots in 10 years). I had one day 5 years ago where I was sick, vomiting for a day. That's it. I have 4 kids, I am exposed to school sickness and have built an immunity because of this. But if I was not "healthy", I would get ill. I take care of the kids when they are sick, vomiting because my wife will get sick, I do not. I did not start exercising until around 3-4 years ago.

This type of regiment is definitely person-dependent. For me, it is highly effective and I am reluctant to change due to how successful it has been for me and how healthy I am.
Hate to break it to you, but a lot of what you are attributing to a "keto" diet has nothing to do with being in ketosis.

Also, it has been called a ketogenic diet for almost 100 years, so unlikely you've been doing it longer than that - but that's just nitpicking, no big deal.

If it is working for you and you like it, have at it. It has a cult-like following based on little evidence and outright myth. There is nothing magical about it, and it isn't "healthy" per se. The body has multiple ways of producing energy for a reason. When people become obese, they impede the use of carbohydrates in the production of energy and upregulate their ability to burn fat. Going on a low carb diet doesn't fix this, it just avoids using the broken system - and overuses the alternative.

I'm not against the diet. It's a tool in the toolbox and everyone has to find something they can stick to. I am just against the dogma. I'm happy it works for you though, and sorry if this comes across as singling you out because it isn't.

bigdadybry

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Hate to break it to you, but a lot of what you are attributing to a "keto" diet has nothing to do with being in ketosis.

Also, it has been called a ketogenic diet for almost 100 years, so unlikely you've been doing it longer than that - but that's just nitpicking, no big deal.

If it is working for you and you like it, have at it. It has a cult-like following based on little evidence and outright myth. There is nothing magical about it, and it isn't "healthy" per se. The body has multiple ways of producing energy for a reason. When people become obese, they impede the use of carbohydrates in the production of energy and upregulate their ability to burn fat. Going on a low carb diet doesn't fix this, it just avoids using the broken system - and overuses the alternative.

I'm not against the diet. It's a tool in the toolbox and everyone has to find something they can stick to. I am just against the dogma. I'm happy it works for you though, and sorry if this comes across as singling you out because it isn't.
No worries, we're all entitled to our opinions and viewpoints.

To clarify, when I refer to it as being commonly known as Keto, I am referring to it being in the common lexicon amongst normal everyday people, not people in the diet/fitness community. When Atkins became popular, regular people talked about a state of ketosis. No one ever used "Keto Diet" in the mainstream until recently. In other words, a decade ago when I explained my diet to people, they said "oh, like Atkins?". Now they say "keto". Therefore, when I say I was doing it before it was commonly known as "keto", that is what I am saying (before the cult movement :)).

In my case, to convert it to your explanation of broken systems, I tried low fat, low carb, med protein and 30/30/30 (all good sources) prior to this. I can say it did not provide the energy, mental clarity, or results as I have now, and I am over 10 years older now. I can't say if it fixed a broken system or avoided a broken system. Either way, the old system did not work and the new system does (for me).

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
No worries, we're all entitled to our opinions and viewpoints.

To clarify, when I refer to it as being commonly known as Keto, I am referring to it being in the common lexicon amongst normal everyday people, not people in the diet/fitness community. When Atkins became popular, regular people talked about a state of ketosis. No one ever used "Keto Diet" in the mainstream until recently. In other words, a decade ago when I explained my diet to people, they said "oh, like Atkins?". Now they say "keto". Therefore, when I say I was doing it before it was commonly known as "keto", that is what I am saying (before the cult movement :)).

In my case, to convert it to your explanation of broken systems, I tried low fat, low carb, med protein and 30/30/30 (all good sources) prior to this. I can say it did not provide the energy, mental clarity, or results as I have now, and I am over 10 years older now. I can't say if it fixed a broken system or avoided a broken system. Either way, the old system did not work and the new system does (for me).
Fair enough. And hey, if the issues are even real, until we learn to correct them, keto may be the best we have in some cases. It is definitely a tool that should be in the toolbox.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
We all need to find what works best for us, most people aren't willing to put in the time, or work it takes.

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Filling up on veggies is a great idea, and necessary to get enough vitamins and minerals. Green leafy vegetables are first on the list, followed by other non-starchy vegetables like zucchini, squashes, celery, cucumbers, mushrooms, etc. ProvenPeptides. Root veggies like carrots or potatoes have too much starch, so avoid these, and watch the quantity of sugar in veggies like tomatoes and carrots.

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The reason keto is such a popular diet is because when you’re in a ketogenic state, your liver converts body FAT into ketones. Your body burns ketones (instead of carbs) as it’s primary energy source.

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The keto diet is composed of approximately 75% fat, 20 % protein, and 5% or less carbohydrates. The high fat content and lack of sugar means diminished cravings, lack of blood sugar swings and binges, and increased satiation.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The keto diet is composed of approximately 75% fat, 20 % protein, and 5% or less carbohydrates. The high fat content and lack of sugar means diminished cravings, lack of blood sugar swings and binges, and increased satiation.
I should give this diet a try, old habits are hard to break !