Jswain's training log for powerlifting

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
And Hyde, yah, he talks about in the video i pressed a few pages back. I'm just having difficulty going knees out vs forward, continuing to work on it. Ill work on the elbows too, thanks for the critique.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
And Hyde, yah, he talks about in the video i pressed a few pages back. I'm just having difficulty going knees out vs forward, continuing to work on it. Ill work on the elbows too, thanks for the critique.
Both things I had to work on for over a year at least; most people do it seems.

Momma didn’t raise no chump

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 9 day 3
WU
* Airodyne x3 m
* Dyn warmup
* Band Traction Shoulder Circle Series
* Banded Circles
* Banded Crossovers
* Banded Punches
* Band Traction Chicken Wings
* Band Traction Shoulder Reset
* McGill rolling plank
* Band Pull-Aparts w/3 sec. pause – Mirco or Mini Band x 10 reps x 3 set

•Comp bp
45x10, 95/135/185/225x5
260x3
280x2
300x1
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected], 10

•Spoto (295x1-2x2)
[email protected], 10

•seal row
135/185x10
215x10
225x10
217.5x10

Ss/

•Hip banded Kb swing
Avg band + 53 lb kb x15x3

•Inc bench chest supported db row
80x10
100x10

Tri set (2x15 each except tri ext which was 2x30)
1. Duffin UR row
2. Tri rope ext
3. Lateral raise partials

Bench has seen better days. At least now i know why every bench session has been hard AF to get my prescribed reps. Because im a 330 bencher trying to use 355 for my work set calculations. Will most definitely lower my training max for the next cycle. Hopefully banging out more reps during the rep weeks will translate into some progress for me.

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Only 10% off at least, and you’re lighter now so not so shocking. Impressive Spotos for real

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 9 day 4

Whats in bold is what the program calls for

•Sumo 2.25" block deadlift (3rd round of 8s week)
135/185/225/275x5
315x3
365x8
415x8
445x8+ --> x10@6? Felt great today. Was really getting my hips involved early (aka when they should be) and they were flying off the blocks.
(435x12@7 week 5, 2nd round of 8s)

•2ct pause mid shin sumos from floor
315x2x2

Just wanted to work on dominating 315 and good positioning from the floor. 315 has always been the point where its heavy enough for me to tell if I'm "on" that day. The more days i make it fly over the long haul the stronger ill get.

•Carries (start at 70%, add weight until you cant make 50 feet in 10s)
My runs are 55-60ft (2 runs would be down and back)
a. Suitcase
110 1 run each hand
140 " "
B. Farmer
170 x 2 runs (both under)
190 x 2 runs (first over, little kid ran out onto the turf when i was about 15 ft in, 2nd under)
210 both under
230 first under, 2nd = 11-12s

No issues with grip at all. Is just my ability to stabilize the weight as im running it that slows me down.

•Sandbag loads over yoke (crossbar at level of upper sternum)
Light bag for max reps in 60s
150x4 warmup
150 x 9 in 60s.

Good day all around today. Felt really good through and through. When i first took the bar off the blocks to do sumos from the floor it kinda surprised me. I forgot how low the bar usually is for those lol. Its been a while since ive pulled sumo from the floor and the 315 was still quite easy and really good weight for form practice and exploding out of the pause mid shin.

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Edit: double posted

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Only 10% off at least, and you’re lighter now so not so shocking. Impressive Spotos for real
True. When i was sitting around 240 i was still able to hit 345-350 pretty much any day so it seems like anything under 240 and my bench really takes a dive. Good to know going forward. I am gonna start trying to gain weight again...thinking on the scale of like 1-2lbs/month of ideally 95% lean tissue. I will be without a gym for 5 weeks in mid October to early November when in New Mexico, so im thinking ill just "bulk" very slowly and meticulously until then. At that point I'm thinking ill have 3-4 days of bw training and whatever i can do with my bowflex dbs that go up to 52.5 lbs and my variety of bands. Should be a good 5 week period for me since i havent taken time off from the powerlifts in years. As Mike T would call it, a "restoration block" of sorts.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Edit: Gd thing triple posted.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I just had a forced upper body restoration block; it ain’t that bad As long as you stay active like you’re saying, it will be great for you. You can do a lot of things with a pair of 50lb dbs and some bands. Lunges, band gm/Db RDL combo, rows, ohp, floor press, flyes, tricep extensions, curls, standing calves. If you have a way to do chins or dips you can flat out strength train the upper body with a 50lb db even.

Be careful or you could come back more beat up lol

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I just had a forced upper body restoration block; it ain’t that bad As long as you stay active like you’re saying, it will be great for you. You can do a lot of things with a pair of 50lb dbs and some bands. Lunges, band gm/Db RDL combo, rows, ohp, floor press, flyes, tricep extensions, curls, standing calves. If you have a way to do chins or dips you can flat out strength train the upper body with a 50lb db even.

Be careful or you could come back more beat up lol
Most definitely. Some time truly deloading the spine from barbell movements and just working on gpp for 5 weeks actually sounds like itd be kind of fun for a couple of weeks if not the whole 5. But thats kind of the point. Let your body deload those patterns youve been doing day in day out for years on end and work on some gpp and other aspects of health. I have no doubt that ill be able to get creative enough to still use appropriate loading for basically every core movement pattern through the combination of those dbs and the bands i have since ill be keeping reps to no less than 8-10. I have no clue where im going to be staying so hopefully there will be somewhere for chins, that'd obviously be ideal although not completely necessary. Im sure

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 10 day 1

Warmups:
Dyn stretch
Donnie hangs
Donnie banded shoulder protocol
Ring rear delt flys
Hammer curl 30lb x15x2
Mini band tri extension couple sets of 15

•Log C&P (150x2x6 EMOM, cleaning first rep)
Used oly shoes today
70 lb (Log) x5 x2
100x5x2
130x5x2
150x2x6 EMOM

I felt like i was doing a lot better goes knees out vs fw in the olys. Either that or it just made me feel that way because my heels stayed in contact with the ground due to the heeled shoe. Either way i felt like i made strides fw with the olys.

•Cgbp (finger on edge)
45/95/135/170/200x5
230x3
[email protected]
295x3+ --> [email protected] (after watching the video I probably shouldve gone for another as it looked like an @8.5, but i hit the left safety on the second rep and the left J hook at the top of the 3rd rep. If all 3 had been clean I probably wouldve gone for the 4th. Just let the two mishaps affect me, whether it was consciously or not.

•Ring pull-up (3x10)
Bw x10, 8, 6

Make up missed reps with Trudel ring pull up
x2, 4

Ss/

•DB rolling tri on floor
30x15x3

•Rear delt cable X fly
10x15x3

Ss/

•Eagle curl station
70x15x2
60x 21 set (7 top -> 7 bottom -> 7 full)

Was doing some reading on various thoughts in strongman programming this morning and literally every single one said something along the lines of how common distal bi tears are in strongman and dont be a jackass and do 3-5x12-15 curls a couple times a week at minimum. Ive been trying to get more consistent with them and truthfully have to some degree, so I aim to continue that pattern.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think that’s the only reason I made it as long as I did, the hammers over the last few years. Just found out another friend had his repaired like a month ago. It’s just super common, in a very injurious sport no less. But it is merely a speed bump; nothing career-ending. At least 2 giants competitors I know hit 400lb logpresses only 6 months post op.

Jessica always wears lifters when overhead pressing, and it’s the one movement I like a touch of heel as well.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
5/6/19

Conditioning:

Aerodyne warmup
3 mins

Aerodyne tempos:
6 rounds
30s work/45s recovery (first round only)
20s work/45s recovery (rounds 2-6)
Work @80-85 rpm
Recovery @35-45 rpm

Sled drag in parking lot:
70lb (25lb sled + 45 plate) x15m

3m walk cool down

Remember my whole "id really like to do a conditioning day 1x a week"? Here it is. Gonna try to do them on mondays since this in all only takes about a half hour to 40 mins.

Edit: 10m walk on my lunch break as well.

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
5/8/19 week 10 day 2

•Conv DL (work up to 1rm, 95% of 1rm x2x2)
45x some
135/185/225/275/315x5
365x4
415x3
455x1x2
490x1
520x@9
535x1
[email protected]
500x1 -> i got the 2nd rep up off the floor but was having reservations about my form pretty much since the rep at 520. I didnt wanna keep pushing my luck. Whether it was a cop out or a smart move we will never know, but id rather never know than know it pushing for the last rep cost me 2 months of training.
455x1

•SSB 2ct pause squat (70-85%x2-4x3)
105/145/195x5
235x4@6
285x3x2 @8.5, 8.5

•Seal row (3x8)
135x8
185x8
215x8
235x8
225x8

Ss/

•Hip banded kb swing
70lb kb vs avg band x15x2
" " x20

Not thrilled with where i topped out on pulls today. Was really aiming to end up 545-555, which i suppose i wasnt too far off from. I potentially could have pulled 545 but it wouldve been a comp intensity max effort. On the plus side, my (recent) 1rm before this 12 training week block was 515-520 so i did at least take a step back towards my all time conv 1rm of 575 which i pulled weighing 10-15 lbs more than where i am now.

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think that’s the only reason I made it as long as I did, the hammers over the last few years. Just found out another friend had his repaired like a month ago. It’s just super common, in a very injurious sport no less. But it is merely a speed bump; nothing career-ending. At least 2 giants competitors I know hit 400lb logpresses only 6 months post op.

Jessica always wears lifters when overhead pressing, and it’s the one movement I like a touch of heel as well.
Id still like to stave it off as long as possible or do all that i can to prevent it altogether, regardless of how common it is. Fuckin biceps tendons.

I remember Rodja (maybe Sean too) always talked about how oh pressing for some reason felt better whenever they had a heel lift. After a single session with it, id have to agree at least initially. But it was also a speed effort day so the percentages may not have been high enough to get a true feel for any potential difference.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hey, 15lbs of progress is progress! You have 4x 12wk blocks adding 15-20lbs in a year and you’re looking at new lifetime bests, bodyweight aside even.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
True dat, homie. Btw, i read that berberine article you posted in DC's log. I had known that it had been compared to metformin and found to be as effective in lowering BS, but was unaware of the other benefits. Just picked up two bottles from Noots Depot. Do you know of any ways to enhance absorption? That study reported overall pretty shitty oral absorption capabilities.

Edit: i plan on taking it at the same time as I take my circumin which i take bioperine with for. But have you heard of anything else? It may not necessarily matter but one of the studies quoted in that review was using parenteral berberine not oral.

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 10 day 3

Warmup:
Dynamic
Hammer curl: 30x15

1. Inc bench chest supp row
Warmup
80x10x3

2. Comp bp (70-85% (230-280) x8-12x3-4)
Warm ups:
45/95x10
135/185x8
215x5
Work sets:
[email protected]
[email protected] -> drop 210x3
[email protected]
[email protected] --> 10s rest pause --> x1

Fell short of the goal again. Gonna look at the program and see where its best for me to do some more high rep bench, probably some variation of comp but not cg.

3. Spoto press (75-85% (210-260) x8-12x2-3)
185x10
185x myoset
x9 --> rack for 10s --> x3

2/3b. Ring rear delt fly
Bw x10, 12, 10

4. Band tri ext
Mini x25

4a. Hammer curl
30x20

Just when i think my bench cant tank anymore it does lol. This 12 weeks has definitely exposed a weakness, which im thankful for because it is low hanging fruit on something i can do to get stronger. Now i just need to design an execute a plan to address it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
True dat, homie. Btw, i read that berberine article you posted in DC's log. I had known that it had been compared to metformin and found to be as effective in lowering BS, but was unaware of the other benefits. Just picked up two bottles from Noots Depot. Do you know of any ways to enhance absorption? That study reported overall pretty shitty oral absorption capabilities.

Edit: i plan on taking it at the same time as I take my circumin which i take bioperine with for. But have you heard of anything else? It may not necessarily matter but one of the studies quoted in that review was using parenteral berberine not oral.
All the good GDAs I have used just do bioperine like you mentioned, and they all have an obvious physical efficacy as is so I go with that.

I also combine my curcumin with the Blue Sugar to ride the bioperine included there.

I have heard Alex Kikel on Beast Fitness Radio podcast mention Berberine usage as high as a couple grams per day I believe, but you would need to build up to that AND have an iron gut - I had to build up slowly to 500. I would think anything more than a gram would be a waste of time if I couldn’t control blood sugar still. I would be looking at something like a low dose of IGF-1 or a basal insulin like Lantus a couple days per week to correct things at that point, or be seeking Metformin from my doctor (which is WAY safer, obviously).

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My berberine arrived today (insanely quick, I just ordered it Wed afternoon and it was free shipping) so i did some "examining". They seem to think there are some other ways to hypothetically increase absorption. Im not gonna buy Milk Thistle just for this, and i dont know what sodium caprate is, but thought id drop it here since it was relevant to what we were talking about recently.

IMG_5320.JPG

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 10 day 4

•Sumo 2.25" block pull
135/185/225/275/315/365x5
(+ belt)
405x6
455x6
480x9@8

•Sandbag over bar (60")
100x4 singles
150x2 singles
200x1 on second attempt, failed first
225x1 on second attempt, failed first

•carries
Suitcase: 110x 50 meters x2 (1 each hand)
Farmer:
110x50m
140 x50m
170x50m
190x100 m, drop at 50 and repick. Grip was beginning to fail about the last 10m. That is a helpless feeling when its just hanging on by your fingertips.

Nothin too much to note for today. Just another day in the office. Was having a bit harder of a time getting the bag over the bar after lapping it than i have recently. Still got the job done though. On the two fails i got the bag up to the bar level but couldnt get under it enough to get it over. The successful load with 225 did go up fairly easy, once i got it onto the bar i got under it pretty easily and just dumped it over.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 11 day 1

Bw @ 235.0

•Log C&P
70x5
100x5
130x5
160x3
160x2
190x1
210x1
225x1
240x F Lapped and cleaned it easy, but my elbows were back and not up as much as they should be on the lap and that put me in a bad starting position for the press. I got it up past my nose with the leg dip but couldnt lock it out because my leverages were so **** from the bad elbow positioning.

240x1, positioning was a TAD better. Improved enough for me to get JUST enough leverage underneath to complete the lockout. Video down below.

This is my best overhead press of any variety by 20-25lbs regardless of body weight. Pretty stoked about it to be honest. I think my max at the beginning of this block was 200. A lot of that 40lbs is just improving technique but 40lb in 12 training weeks is pretty sweet regardless.

•CGBP
95/135x some
185x5
215x5
Work
245x5
[email protected]
305x1+ --> x1, held the second rep about 2/3 the way up for 2 seconds but wasnt getting any further than that so i just brought 'er down to the safeties and wrapped up. Was honestly happy with just getting 1 rep at 305 after that log pressing.

Ss/

•Ring pull up
Bw x8, 8, 8 (last 2 sets the last 2-3 were done finishing supinated)

And/

•Hammer curl
35x15x3

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That reverse split jerk tho! Nice work man, big time progress in 3 months for sure. Close grip benching after Log is always really tough.

Does it feel good to be overhead pressing over bodyweight??

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hell of an overhead!
Thanks bro. How has your training been going? Back doing better?

That reverse split jerk tho! Nice work man, big time progress in 3 months for sure. Close grip benching after Log is always really tough.

Does it feel good to be overhead pressing over bodyweight??
Sort of just happened that way, i had no intention to split jerk it but whatever works i guess. Im gonna keep riding out this progress on the lot for another 12 weeks then maybe ill switch to the axle to mix it up. Still have a lot of technical flaws to clean up with the log though.

And yes, it sure does. Been chasing that for 3 years. I had strict presses 215 a few times but could never get the 220 or 225 when i was at that body weight. And I sure as **** couldnt hit bw when i was up at 250. Now the pursuit for a 300 lb overhead, hopefully i hit it before 30. Maybe ill make that a goal, actually.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well congrats. Actually practice splitting and you can hit 300for real. That’s the number one way to a huge log. Even big beefy presser types can benefit from split jerking generally, if they can learn it. Rob Kearney is one to watch.

Failing that, continue to work a push jerk at least. All that matters is what you get locked out, not how you got it there.

Strict pressing with the log also really helped my overhead a lot. Lots of triceps where you need it.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
Thanks bro. How has your training been going? Back doing better?
almost back on track...waiting on the date to be released for an October meet, so I can plan accordingly...done with TnG Deads, as I really think that, added to not listening to my body, eventually led to the setback.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 11 day 2

1st session:
Treadmill walk @ 2mph x10m
McGill curl ups x6/4/2
McGill bird dogs x6/4/2

Drive gf to work

2nd session:

Warmup:
Dyn stretches
Donnie hangs
Unil loaded BSS 2x10
Ss/
Ring rear delt fly 2x15
Hammer curl: 25x15, qp

Program:
•Conv DL (70-85%x6-10x3-4, 360-440lb)
Single sided dead w/ 45 x6 + 3 RDL each side
125/185/225/275/315x5
365x2
(+ belt)
365x2
[email protected]
365x6x2@5/6
365x10@6 (+ straps)
(First 5 of 405 and first 2 sets of 365 were all doh for grip work).

Might've figured out a minor tweak today. I had brought my grip in a finger or two the last 5 weeks or so and today i took it back out to pinky on the rings and i felt really in sink with my hips and knees locking out together. I had improved my issue of my knees locking out first and then my hips but it was still happening to a lesser degree. Today i didnt feel that at all. No subjective speed was lost between reps 5-10 of 365 so that was great to feel.

•Ssb squat (70-85%x8-12x2-3, 235-300) 55/105/145x6
195x8
235x8x3@8/7.5/8

Got no umph.

•Seal rows (3x8)
135x8x2
185x8
225x8x3@8/9.5/10

Skipped the kb swings i typically do at the end. Honestly, I just got lazy and didnt want to set up for them or actually do them.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
almost back on track...waiting on the date to be released for an October meet, so I can plan accordingly...done with TnG Deads, as I really think that, added to not listening to my body, eventually led to the setback.
Good to hear, man. I put a lot of the blame for my early back issues on overzealous T&G deads as well, im of the opinion its just way to easy to lose focus on your wedge when you just get plowing through reps t&g. Not to mention its also easier to push for a few extra reps with bad form. But, it sounds like you're about fully back in action, learned something about yourself and your training needs from it, and didnt have to eat the cash for the meet so it may end up not being too bad of a thing in the long run.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Do any of you guys use a set of single or double ply elbow sleeves for overhead pressing? Been thinking about picking up a pair at some point lately, not to use for every training session but for the ME sessions that call to work up to a 1-3rm. Just to keep the elbows warm and maybe get an extra 15-20lbs (i think thats about all theyre good for if memory serves me right).

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Do any of you guys use a set of single or double ply elbow sleeves for overhead pressing? Been thinking about picking up a pair at some point lately, not to use for every training session but for the ME sessions that call to work up to a 1-3rm. Just to keep the elbows warm and maybe get an extra 15-20lbs (i think thats about all theyre good for if memory serves me right).
I always use sleeves for strongman overhead - you will always be allowed to use them in a contest, and a good pair of neoprene will keep you safer and maybe help lift more. I use the black Cerberus often. Not since I have come back this last month, but that’s because my work weights have been so light.

Cerberus also has a red neoprene with even more material and assistance, but I already have a pair of tight Cerberus dual-ply for maximum log pressing, circus db, Viking. They are so constricting they are useless for anything over a max triple, & I can’t clean an axle with them.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yesterday:
Week 11 day 3
Wu: dyn stretching, donnie hangs, donnie shoulder series, monster mini pallofs with overhead reach.

•Comp bp
45/95/135/185/215x5
235x2
250x2x6 (EMOM - ~40s rest)

•Spoto
225x3x3 (supposed to be emom, i was closer to 60s rest)

•Inc bench chest suppoeted db row
90x8x3

•band tri ext
Mini x 25x2 each arm

Ss/

•Db hammer curl
35x15
35x12

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 11 day 4

WU:
dyn stretch,
monster mini pallof press with overhead reach x10x2
Some bw squats

•Sumo deadlift off 2.25" blocks
(Last 405x8, 455x6, 485x5)
135x8
185x8
245x5
305x5
365x3
415x8
461.6x6 (had to use the kilo chips bc all the 2.5s were in use)
501.6x3+ --> [email protected]

Kind of just had this set in my mind for a few weeks now. I did 485 my last 3+ set, so i really shouldve done 490 or 495 but i figured why the hell not and just put 500 on. This would put my e1rm at 724, which it obviously isn't. But its a rep PR nonetheless.

•Farmer carry (up to 95% (230) x50')
Suitcase: 90, 110x50 ft x2
Farmer: 140, 160, 180 x50ft x2;
(+ belt)
210x50ft x2
230x50ftx2

•Sanbag over yoke xbar (6 naked holes, pin in 7, manubrium height)
100x4x10 30s rest - beltless - was more of a HIIT cardio session than a strength session. Probably shouldve used the 150lber, but im not sure if that wouldve been too difficult in the later 4-5 sets. 30s is friggin short.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Cut volume a lot in the last few weeks of the program since this is a program designed to get you ready for a comp at the end of week 12. With that in mind, after thinking on it, I elected to forego the deload for another 3 weeks. Maxes are reset and restarting for another 12 week cycle. Switched a few exercises around, youll see one today.

Cycle 2 Week 1 day 2
•log C&P (170x5x4, 1xAMRAP in 60s, cleaning every rep of AMRAP)
70x some
100x some strict some push some split jerk x2
130x5 first 3 push press, last 2 split jerk
150x5
170x5x4@6/7/7.5/8
170x6, first 5 were in the first 30s then i stalled to catch my breath a touch before the 6th. The good news is that the final press actually went up quick so it was strictly a cardio thing on what held me from more. Cleaning every rep blows.

On the x5 x4 sets first 3 were push press last 2 were split jerk with the first being with my left foot back and the last being with my left foot forward which is my stronger stance.

•Fb bar NG bp
130x5x2
160x5
190x5
220x5+ [email protected]

Lowered my cg max from 325 to 295 with the last cycles poor pressing and the switch to the fb bar in mind. If you recall, my goal is to get more reps on these AMRAP sets, so this also helps accomplish that. This amrap puts my e1rm at 295 so it looks like it was a good call.

Ss/

•Ring pull up (5x12 goal)
Bw (235) x10, x7x4

Make up: "Trudel sissy pullups" (legs extended & supported up on a box) with rings
x8x3

Ss/

•Fb bar rolling tris (3x15)
57x15
62x15
67x15

•Db hammer curl (3x15)
30x15x3

Ss/

•Shovel lifts
Fb bar with 10lb loaded on far side x10x3

Gonna get some elbow sleeves when my next loan check comes in. Deciding between the black vs the red cerberuses. Leaning towards the reds as of now since i really only plan on using them on overhead.

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Never heard of a shovel lift.

Use code KITE10 if you order from Cerberus for 10%! Also doublecheck pricing on elitefts, as I know they carry them too but can’t remember if pricing is different.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Its saw it described as basically loading one end of a barbell, grabbing near the collar with the hand furthest from the loaded side, then grabbing the midpoint of the bar with the hand closest to the loaded side, then lifting it like a shovel. Instead of lifting it like a shovel i was doing more of a SLDL movement. Just trying to work some anti-rotation and anti-lateral flexion in some new creative ways.

And cool, thanks for the notice on the discount code. I honestly HATE ordering from Elitefts bc of their absolutely outrageous shipping costs (eg. 10-15$ for some wrist wraps, etc) but will check it out when I pull the trigger. Cheaper is cheaper.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
C2 Week 1 day 2

Warmup:
Dynamic stretches
Pallof with face press w/ monster mini (5ct hold each spot) x5, x3 (out in front x5 seconds, in front of face x5s, out in front again x5s, then against belly x5s = 1 rep)

•Conv DL (320x2x12, 30s rest)
135/185/225/275x5
320x2x12 -> moved as fast as they should have. First 6 loose belt doh, last 6 latched with weak mixed grip.

•2ct pause front squat (185x3x8, 1m rest)
45295/135x5
(+ loose belt)
185x3x8

•Seal rows (4x12)
135x12
[email protected]/8/8.5/8.5

Ss/

•Hip banded kb swings (3x15)
53lb vs pro avg band x15x3

I have no idea what my max 2ct pause front squat is, so i set it at 315. I have the option to work up to x4@85% which would correspond to being ~ @8.5 rpe so that will give me a better estimation of where i am. I'll reset the 1rm that is used for the rest of the program's calcs based on that.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
5/23 conditioning day

•Assault bike 50 rpm x5m

•Prehab/rehab
1. Pallof press + face press (5ct each position, front -> face -> front -> against belly = 1 rep): 2 sets of 5 each direction
2. X band scaption raise: micro mini 3x10
3. Lateral raise turnout: 3x10
4. Lateral raise turnout press: 1x10, 1x5
5. Levator release: 2x30s per side

Holy **** man. That shoulder complex (taken from smashrx IG) is way harder than it looked like it would be on paper. Was planning on doing 3 sets of all of them but i started running short on time and really wanted to get the drags and carries in. I did do three sets of both 2 and 3 but 1, 4, 5 were only 2 sets.

•15 minute conditioning complex
A. Sled drag down the driveway and back w/ 85 lb
Set 1: x2 down backs
Set 2: x2 down backs
Set 3: x1 down back

Alternating with

B. Front rack kb carry down and farmer carry back with 1 53lb kb each hand.
Set 1: x2 down back
Set 2: x1 down back

Id estimate the driveway to be ~85-90 yards (i stepped it off which is about a yard per step for me and got to 85 so somewhere in there).

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
As Jim would say, “groce”
One of the xfit trainers essentially said the same thing. Id much, much rather do this than (try to) run a mile.

Speaking of which, the box is doing their annual Murph WOD fundraiser this Sunday. I was asking one of the trainers what time it was all goin down so i could wiggle some training in at some point and he was like "you should come do it, itll be fun". Phhhhhhhhhh....the workout is:

1 mile run
100 "pull ups" -> kipping counts im sure.
200 push ups
300 air squats
1 mile run

I simply laughed and said "yahhhh...no chance". I havent run a fuggin mile in years. Tried going for a jog last year and made it a quarter mile from my house, turned around and walked back

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
C2 week 1 day 3

•WU:
Walk x7m
Pallof w/ face press: 2 sets of 3 as described above
Dyn stretch

•Inc bench chest supp db row (5x12)
(Weight in each hand)
45x10 wu
80x12x2
70x12x3

•Comp Bp ([email protected], 90% of 3rm x4x2)
(Last cycle: [email protected])
45/95/135/175/205
235x5
265x3@
[email protected]
310x3@10
275x4x2@8,8

Moved more weight for one more rep today than the same day last cycle. We'll know soon enough if its its cuz im actually stronger or just had more balls today. Progress is progress whether its in terms of strength or ballz, i suppose.

•2 ct 1-2" Spoto (programmed to be 255x2x3; I added "then continued repeats until @8 reached, if 3rd set <@8")

255x2x3

last set was an @8 so no further repeats needed

Ss/

•Duffin Upright row (3x15)
53lb x15x3

•Cable lateral raise (3x15)
15x15
20x15
15x15

Ss/

•1/2 kneeling Rope ext (3x15) (upstairs ft 325 station)
65x15
75x15
70x15

•Supinated db curl
35x12
35x8 -drop-> 30x4
30x12

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
C2 week 1 day 4

•Sumo 2.25" block pulls
135/185/225/275/325x5
380x8
(+ belt)
440x8@ woof. This next set is gonna suck.
(+ straps)
470x8+ -> x8 -> felt heavy as **** but as you'll see in the vid they moved pretty decent. I didnt have my wedge going for **** today.

•Suitcase walks
110 lb x50ft per arm x5, 60s rest between sets (1 set = down & back)
(1st set with upside down implement). I walked these because im really doing them for oblique and QL TUT. I will gradually work up as tolerated with keeping the focus on TUT and correct carrying posture. I will do the max distance day as programmed, but for the light carries for speed and higher intensity carries im going to work this setup for a bit.

(Go up to 120 lb for next week)

•Sandbag over high bar (yoke xbar @ upper sternum) (1st pin set in 7th hole)
100 lb bag x4
150 lb bag x2m AMRAP --> x12

(Last cycle i got the 100lb bag 17x IIRC. In terms of total volume 100x17 = 1700, 150x12=1800 so I bested the total volume of the set by 100lb). I was pretty fricking gassed at the end of this honestly.

Note: was toying around with the idea of swapping out the bag loading for some heavy sled drags and rope pulling, but i decided I want to really have that 220 bag dominated over the high bar before i swap them out. I also didnt feel like programming the sled drags & rope pulls so that played into me keeping the bags as well, if we're being honest. Probably would have just ripped off this wendler article i found on T nation, but ill cross that bridge when i get there.

Video of the top set on block pulls:

Also, i tried them from the ceiling today. Surprised how hard they were considering I should have had gravity's help.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Cycle 2 W2 day 1

Box was reserved for the Murph fundraiser so i had to make due with what i had available to me. No log no fb bar. Took a high volume sample and decided i was just gonna push rest periods and chase the best pump i could get with the programmed amount of work.

•Push press (standard barbell)
45/85/105/125x5
145x3x8 60s rest

•Cgbp (finger on edge of smooth and knurl)
45/95/135x5
175x5
205x3
235xAMRAP -> 232.5x11 (i loaded a 2.5 on the right and a 5 on the left, fuggin plastic plates look the same lol).

•NG PUs (5x10)
Bw x10, 10, 6, 6, 6

Make up w/ wide & Pron grip lat pulldown
165x12

Ss/

•NG pec fly machine (in place of db front raise)
130x15x3

•Rolling tri ext (3x12)
35 per hand x12x3

Ss/

•Eagle curl machine (3x12)
90x12
80x12x2

Got dayum. For having to deviate from the plan some that was a good training session.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
One of the xfit trainers essentially said the same thing. Id much, much rather do this than (try to) run a mile.

Speaking of which, the box is doing their annual Murph WOD fundraiser this Sunday. I was asking one of the trainers what time it was all goin down so i could wiggle some training in at some point and he was like "you should come do it, itll be fun". Phhhhhhhhhh....the workout is:

1 mile run
100 "pull ups" -> kipping counts im sure.
200 push ups
300 air squats
1 mile run

I simply laughed and said "yahhhh...no chance". I havent run a fuggin mile in years. Tried going for a jog last year and made it a quarter mile from my house, turned around and walked back
Just say no. To cardio.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Was planning on running it another 12 weeks then switching the stances for block and floor to work my sumo top end strength up. Hopefully make some strides towards the 675 we're racing to.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Also, went for a nice 90 minute hike today. My footing gave way about 3/4 of the way through, kind of turned my ankle slightly and jarred my knee. My ankle has begun to stiffen up over the last hour or so, knee feels some extremely mild effect (mildly sore). Hoping it doesnt have an effect on my high relative intensity triple on deads and x4-6 set on fronts.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Double post

Last edited: