Jswain's training log for powerlifting

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
About right for speed/technique work. The last press on sets 5 & 6 were around rpe 6-6.5 if recollection serves me right now 11 hours out. I do need to get better at the push press movement. My presses are damn near strict essentially...i do dip the hips and knees slightly to try and generate some lower body power into the press but I'm just not efficient at it yet. I feel good about my ability in getting the log from the floor to my chest, but after that things get whonkey.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
About right for speed/technique work. The last press on sets 5 & 6 were around rpe 6-6.5 if recollection serves me right now 11 hours out. I do need to get better at the push press movement. My presses are damn near strict essentially...i do dip the hips and knees slightly to try and generate some lower body power into the press but I'm just not efficient at it yet. I feel good about my ability in getting the log from the floor to my chest, but after that things get whonkey.
My suggestion is watch some guys on YouTube. And not the ones using a ton of strict power like big z, look at the guys using the technique you’re after. Honestly, this works. If you can see that, then envision yourself doing it, it can help you learn the patterns for real. That’s how I learned to Continental clean.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My suggestion is watch some guys on YouTube. And not the ones using a ton of strict power like big z, look at the guys using the technique you’re after. Honestly, this works. If you can see that, then envision yourself doing it, it can help you learn the patterns for real. That’s how I learned to Continental clean.
I did. I liked this Darden video
for instruction. Rob Kearney's split jerk press is impressive but fuk that ill stick to trying to push press as thats going to develop more pure strength vs more technical skill with the jerk.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 6 day 2

•Conv DL (up to 2rm, 90% (of 2rm) x3x2)
135(x2)/185/225/275/315x5
365x3
365x2
405x2
455x2
490x2
520x2@10
[email protected]/9

•MB Squat (olys) (75-90%x3-5x3)
55/105/145/195/235x5
275x3
305x3x3@8/8/8

•Seal rows (5x8)
75/105/135/165x8
195x8
215x8
205x8x3

Ss/

•Hip banded KB Swings
70lb kb + Pro light x15x3

Fairly happy with the top set on deads. Thats the heaviest double ive pulled in probably 2 years since just before my 575 single at the end of Proj Momentum. Dont think i am good for that just yet but 550 might be there in week 10. Squats still f****ng suck. Thinking about scrapping back squats and trying my hand at paused fronts for a while...i dont see the point in just spinning my wheels on this movement anymore at this point. Gonna finish out the cycle with them but theres a really good chance I'm not doing them next go around.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nice doubles! Back strength on the rise
Thanks, boss. Can never have too much rowing strength. Hard not to be globally strong with a strong back, and it's good for shoulder health too. Win, win.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My entire PC is sore today. Hams mildly but mainly glutes, erectors, lats, and rhomboids. I love deadlifts.

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 6 day 2

•Comp Bp (pinky on ring - actually wide grip compared to where ive had my grip for comp press the last several weeks) (225-270x8-12x3-4)
45/95/135/185x8
185x3
[email protected] pinky on ring (widest)
225x6@9 half thumb from edge (narrowest)
[email protected] thumb from edge (mid)
225x5@9 pinky on ring
[email protected] pinky on ring

Judging by Mike T's findings from one of his more recent PM's where he found that people improved with high reps that sucked at high reps and people who sucked at top end strength improved more with heavy singles through triples, its apparent i should be doing more volume workouts (surprise, getting better at what you suck at makes you stronger). And ive been talking about wanting some pec mass for a while...seems like these goals coincide quite well . Replacing the DE effort day with a RE day would address them both. So itd be 2 RE days and 1 HE upper day instead of 1 of each effort.

•Reverse grip bench
135x12
155x11
185x8

Edit: Hyde, remember that Samoan dude who reverse gripped like 450 in the comp? Every time i do these I always think about that and am just like WTF.

•NG seated cable row (4x10)
180x10
195x10
180x10x2

Ss/

•Bar Tricep extension (3x12)
170x12
185x9 -drop-> 170x3
Myo-set:
185x8
3 breaths
x3
3 breaths
x2

Came with the gf and she was ready to go so i didnt get around to duffin uprights or lateral raises. Just fluff anyway so not concerned about it whatsoever, just making note. She and I are headed up to hang out in Burlington, VT for the afternoon/evening to celebrate her birthday which is tomorrow. Should be a fun time!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That Samoan cat was a thick SOB! Very cool. I actually knew a guy when I was getting into powerlifting that lifted single-ply drug-tested and he benched 500 at 220 reverse grip - it was years later before I realized that’s actually allowed in comp by many feds. He had did something like 585 reverse grip to a 3 board in training with his crew. Woof.

Enjoy your evening!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 6 day 4

•Sumo DL off 2.25" blocks (6s week)
135/225(x2)/275/315x5
(+ belt)
365x1
380x6
430x6
[email protected]

•Farmers carries (70% x max distance in 60s)
Suitcase with upside down handle: 70 x 45 ft each hand, 110x 45ft each hand
Farmers:
110 x 45 feet down back
170 x 4 lengths (180ft) dropping at the end of each length then re-picking.

•Sandbag load over yoke crossbar (set at height of the SC joint, 60-61")
100x4 loads
150x2 loads
200x2 loads -> probably @8 rpe with no fails. I was really happy with this given my difficulty with this same bag for a triple, with multiple failed attempts between successful ones not too long ago. I was considering going for the the 250 but was running short on time so decided to wait until the single in a few weeks to give it a go.

Good day.

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That Samoan cat was a thick SOB! Very cool. I actually knew a guy when I was getting into powerlifting that lifted single-ply drug-tested and he benched 500 at 220 reverse grip - it was years later before I realized that’s actually allowed in comp by many feds. He had did something like 585 reverse grip to a 3 board in training with his crew. Woof.

Enjoy your evening!
Damn. Id imagine it'd be easier on the shoulder joint with the hand in a supinated position...kinda wanna get better at it just for no real good reason. I guess i think its kind of a cool lift.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Damn. Id imagine it'd be easier on the shoulder joint with the hand in a supinated position...kinda wanna get better at it just for no real good reason. I guess i think its kind of a cool lift.
It terrifies me slightly, like it’s gonna fall out of my hand.

470x10! When I did that I smoked 600 for a very easy single on New Years Eve.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It terrifies me slightly, like it’s gonna fall out of my hand.

470x10! When I did that I smoked 600 for a very easy single on New Years Eve.
Yah, i have the same fear. Id absolutely never do it without a spotter or safeties up. Good way to lose yo neck.

Gotta remember its off 2.25" blocks (i just edited that in after realizing i forgot to write it in there) so i reckon im good for close to 6 off blocks (pulled 580 or 585 before this block). Historically my pull from the floor isnt too far (10-20lbs) behind my block pull. Im trying to decide if im going to run another 12 weeks of block pulls or make the jump to the floor so i can get a fair gauge of where i am in this race to 675 we're in. I need to start making some headway towards it now because with the leg strength youve been building the last couple months and the way you pulled 627 at our meet you wont take too long to get there. Im about 80/20 on losing the blocks at this point but dont know how my hips and low back will hold up with both conv and sumo pulls from the floor. If i space them 5 days apart like i have been i should be fine given the rotating efforts on conv and only doing sets of 5-12 reps on sumos.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think Sumo is about practicing your optimal technique, but the back strength still must be built doing conventional work. So you need both still, but one could stay on blocks. Conv from floor for now and sumo on blocks, then last couple months before maxing switch to conv blockpulls to maintain strength but full ROM sumo to practice?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think Sumo is about practicing your optimal technique, but the back strength still must be built doing conventional work. So you need both still, but one could stay on blocks. Conv from floor for now and sumo on blocks, then last couple months before maxing switch to conv blockpulls to maintain strength but full ROM sumo to practice?
Pretty much what i had planned in my mind, but without a set date for wanting to max on sumos it was just kind of a loose idea in my head. That layout would definitely work and kind of give me a best of both world scenario where im still building conv strength but am not too far away from being able to pull a max sumo pull within a couple of months.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
470x10 @7.5, very nice!!!!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am excited to getting back to deadlifting! I really have no idea how it will go but I intend to do the work.
The way your training has been going in combination with your drive and knowledge, it'll go fine lol. Dont act like it wont.

470x10 @7.5, very nice!!!!
Thanks man! Nice to get back to weights that are around lifetime maxes.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
IMG_5298.JPG

Saw this in a Gentilcore article thats posted on AM. Got a kick out of it. Ive seen the meme before with different contexts but i thought this one was pretty funny.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 7 day 1

•Log C&P (up to 2rm)
70/100/130x5 (2-3 initial leg drive only presses where i just pop the log off my chest as forcefully as possible)
150x3
150x2
175x2
[email protected]

•CGBP (1+ week)
WU: 135x10, 175x5, 205x5
Work:
235x5
260x3
290x1+ --> [email protected]

Ss (first two sets of PUs)/

•Ring Pull ups (ng at bottom, abducting arms to break dead hang, then gradually adducting and supinating into top)
BW x8, 8, 8, 8

Ss (last 2 sets)/

•Football bar floor rolling tris (2x10)
Bar x10 skull crushers
Bar + 30lb x10x2 rolling tri

Push presses felt way better today. I could actually tell i was getting something out of my leg drive - 200 for a double is the same weight i hit a few weeks ago when i was supposed to hit a triple but only got 2 and was at RPE 20. So definitely made strides in the right direction today. I might of been able to hit 210-215 for a true 2rm but only had a half hour left to lift so i moved on.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Recovery day

Hip and shoulder band stretching
Monkey hang
Donnie hangs
Treadmill walk x15m
Contrast therapy in hot/cold tub 4x hot tub 3x cold tub.

Really enjoyed the cold tub today. I was really focusing on my breathing. The last two rounds of 3 and 6 mins respectively i had my breaths down to 3 per minute. I remember when i first started doing the cold tub i would be hyperventilating like a mofo for the first minute least. Today's contrast felt meditative to a degree.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Double posted somehow

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 7 day 2

•Conv DL (335-415x6-10x3-4)
135/225/275/315x5
365x10@6?
[email protected]
[email protected] -> L5-S1 felt vulnerable on reps 5 and 6 so i cut it there for the day.

•Squat (programmed goal: 265-325x8-12x2-3)
(did 245x8x2 last time)
Tried flats again
Pause fronts with Duffalo
55/105x6
145x8

2ct Pause duffalo mid bar back squats
175x12x2@8

•GHR

Ss/

•Banded Kb swings (last week: 70lb kb + pro light x15x3)

Ss/

•Seal Rows (5x8) (last week - 195x8, 215x8, 205x8x3)
Grip varying between pinky or ring finger on ring.
135/165x8
205x8x5@8/8.5/8/8/8

As i was resting between sets of seal rows i was just looking at the sandbags and then realized that I mistakenly loaded the 225lb bag thinking it was the 200lb bag last week on event day. Which means not only did i load it for an easy double and not miss any reps (like i did with the 200 on the triple day), this was all with a 25lb heavier bag to boot. Not sure what ill do about the max single i have in a few weeks now, but thats an okay problem to have.

I was honestly cashed after those deads and what should have been light squats. Ill make up the GHRs and kb swings tomorrow. Will probably do some band stomps and big 3 work as well. In hindsight I should've dropped to 335 for an additional set to rack up a little more conventional volume. Thats alright though - this is the hardest week of the program with the ME conv day late last week then the ME log clean and press day 2 days before this rep pull day. Looking forward to the DE day next week.

Its finally getting nice over here and is supposed to be around 70 early this afternoon. Brooke and I are planning on getting in a 1-3 mile hike as long as whatever trail we end up on isnt too muddy (which it likely will be). Either way, will be nice to get out and try to enjoy nature with loved ones a bit. Hope yall are able to do the same.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Smart call listening to your spine. If you’re hearing it, it’s really trying to talk to you. I suspected with your size the sandbag would improve faster than you expected.

Have fun today! We’re going to ISU’s annual acrobatic circus tonight!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 7 day 3

•Comp Bp (230x3x6 EMOM)
45/95/135/175x5
205x3
230x3x6

I always turned EMOMs into 60s rest periods. Today I actually did 1 set every minute on the minute, so it ended up being about 35-40s of rest. The last 2 sets the final rep was around @6.5-7.

•Spoto (210x3x4 EMOM)
210x3x4 (i think I accidentally did an extra rep on sets 2 and 3)

•Chest Supp Db row (4x8)
90x8x4

For the following giant set i used the upstairs cables, same sort of cable station thats in the box, hence the 70-80 marks vs 160-170 on tri rope extensions. No rest between exercises or between rounds other than however long it took me to adjust the cables and get going.

•Cable lateral partials (2x20)
Bottom setting
15x20
15x20

Giant set/

•Cable rear delt X row w/ ER (2x15)
Setting 7
15x10 -> drop 10x5
10x14

Giant set/

•Cable incline pec fly (2x12)
Setting 17
35x12
30x12

Giant set/

•Tri rope extension (2x10)
Top notch
70x10
80x10 - drop - 65x5 (was gonna do a drop set but abandoned it after this set really for no good reason, just wasnt feeling it anymore I guess lol).

My lower back had remained somewhat/lightly "tender" feeling both saturday afternoon, sunday, and to a lesser degree yesterday. Therefore i decided to totally skip the accessory work i missed saturday. I did do some banded cat camels and dead bugs last night. Things seemed to have loosened up following what I did last night and this session. Although maybe i need to pull back a tad on the intensity i am going at sumos wit, maybe instead of banging out 10 every week ill shoot for 2-3 reps above the goal (10 reps for 8+ week, 8 reps for 6+ week, and 5-6 for 3+ week). I wont hit as high of a rep max but one that really doesnt matter and two hopefully it will help me regulate intensity a little bit better than what I have been with autoregulation alone (apparently).

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Smart call listening to your spine. If you’re hearing it, it’s really trying to talk to you. I suspected with your size the sandbag would improve faster than you expected.

Have fun today! We’re going to ISU’s annual acrobatic circus tonight!
Ive been down that road one too many times to fuk up and go back down it for 1 more rep, hell, even for one more set in training. In the past the id gotten caught up in the moment and emotion of training and may have just said "focus on form" and kept trying to rep it out. Theres a time and a place for that mindset, but some random day in april with no competition anywhere on the horizon aint it.

Pretty pumped about that sandbag situation. I suppose the next challenge will be when i actually know that im lifting it. Im tempted to buy a bigger ironminds bag, but also dont have all this money to blow on equipment right now. Well, I probably do, but its the government's money and i have to pay everything back at 7+% interest. So I probably should chill on that.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah better off making a keg for cheapif the gym will let you load it. We put a safety mat that’s normally under the climbing ropes in the opposite side of the yoke when loading over the bar so kegs and stone of steel don’t beat the floor up.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Good thought. I could definitely use on of those safety mats as they have several of those. Something I'll consider and look into a bit.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 7 day 4

•Sumo 2.25" block pull
135/225/275x5
315x3
365x1
405x8
455x6
485x5@8

Overall just felt weak on these today. Wasnt getting much drive out of my hips. Im gonna chalk it up to needing a deload and consuming too many beers last night when some of my classmates and I went out for "a beer and a slice of pizza".

•farmer carry (87.5% comp weight x 50 ft)
Suitcase: 110x45 ft each hand, 140x45 ft each hand
Farmer: 170x50ftx2, 190x50ftx2, 210x50ftx2

I didnt want to carry plates to the other end of the turf so i just did two runs at each weight.

•Sandbag over bar (light bag x3x10, 30s rest)
Bar at height of sternal notch (6 open holes, first pin in 7th)
100x3
150x3x5 30s rest b/t
3m rest
150x3x2 30s rest b/t
Rest. No lie i really wanted to quit and was dogging the rest periods hard. For the first cluster of 5 i was good about the 30s. The rest of them i took as long as i wanted between.
150x6 straight through.

Man. That would have been a rough session without being hungover, but adding that on top made it pretty grueling. I had to get it in today though. I was planning on getting it in yesterday after my end of rotation exam, but the site coordinator for my next rotation emailed me Thursday night and was like "oh, by the way, can you come in tomorrow?" Ive had a few classmates have poor experiences there already this year so I'm not looking forward to the next 5 weeks. At least my preceptor only works 4 days a week.

Last edited:
SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I feel your pain. I’m sweating margheritas today lol. Great day for paused inclines fml.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 8 Day 1 - Deload

Bw 235

Dyn stretching
Standing ring T raise & Y raise 2x10 each
McGill rotating plank: 20s each side and standard x2

•Log C&P (60s rest)
70x5x2
100x3x2
130x3x3

•CGBP (pointer on edge)
95/135/165x5
195x5x2

Ss/

•Ring Pull Up
Bw x 10, 7 + 3 fat man, 5 + 5 fat man

•Rope Tri ext (2x10) (do floor rolling tris on non deload week)
185x10x2

Tri set/

•Db hammer curl (2x10)
45x10x2

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 8 day 2 - deload

WU:
•Dyn stretch
•Feet elevated glute bridge with banded abduction at top: 1 bridge x10 abductions x3
•Level ground glute bridge with band pull over
3 sets of 10 with monster mini
•band pull apart: light x10x3
•Rolling plank: 2 x30s each position

Work:

•DL (conv)
Warmup
315x3x5
First 3 belt-less, last 2 unlatched belt

•SSB pause squat (2ct)
55/105/145x5 (145 1 1/4 squats with pause at bottom and 1/4 the way up then back down into the hole then up)
195x5 (monster mini around knees)
235x3x3
235x6 -> had to combine these sets to get out of the rack for some xfitters to do muscle ups. So i just combined the last 2 sets and moved on.

Im going back to the ssb pauses for my main squat work. **** regular back squats right now.

•Seal rows (3x10)
135x10
185x10
205x10x2

Ss/

•hip banded kb swings (3x15)
34 kg x15x3

•Db hammer curl (2x10)
50x10
50x7 + 3 cheat reps with slow eccentrics

Edit: i am going to ask you guys to hold me accountable and dont let me abandon ssb squats until the end of next training cycle.

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Current body comp update, bw 230-235 every day for the last couple of months.

IMG_5309.JPG

IMG_5310.JPG

IMG_5311.JPG

Goals are to keep filling out upper back and add some pec mass. Also im the captain of team no biceps but whatever thats fine. Im not convinced i have made much progress body comp wise over the last year - subtle changes in my upper back with fuller rear delts is probably about it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Biceps are overrated

I mean you can’t expect anything other than subtle changes staying about the same weight and natural once you get a few years into training - those are good goals IMO. If you can add a little bicep muscle and fatten up your bench could really get up around 405. But probably not while staying as lean as you are.

Why pausing the SSB primary work?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Agreed lol. And yah, the leanness issue is that im nowhere near strong enough to be remotely competitive in heavyweight strongman. And with the middleweight class cut off around 231 i pretty much have to stay lean if i ever do want to be even remotely competitive in the sport, as getting up to the low to mid 300s just isn't really an option for me. But i could definitely benefit from adding some more lean body tissue, as strength athlete could.

Just feel like im repeatedly trying to run through a concrete wall with regular squats right now. Only going backwards, still cant get comfortable with mid bar placement. Ill just use the ssb until about 12 weeks out from a comp then will go back to low bar. Its the only way squats dont feel completely foreign to me. The mid bar squats dont really seem to beat my shoulders up so i cant necessarily say it'll benefit my pressing to eliminate them. Also, with the pauses, i need to get comfortable being in the hole and the ssb will help with that as well as helping to hammer thoracic extension which should help combat some postural issues i have from slouching over computers. Obviously im open to feedback, advice, and differing opinions though so if you or anyone else has any ideas im all ears.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That all makes sense. 2 thoughts:

1. The only top 231 I know is natural is Nicholas Cambi. He can clean & split jerk 405lb. So decide what competitive means to you & that will tell you how feasible that is naturally. I would never recommend taking drugs for anyone other than those trying to get to the very top, or those who just really want to. You can have fun at local shows in a heavy class just fine weighing 260, and will beat more people than you would think.

Basically if you just wanna be strong and compete recreationally there’s never a need for drugs or keeping your bodyweight down, in strongman or powerlifting. You just lift in the class you fall into naturally over time.

2. Regular frontsquats for the next block would build your logpress & loading strength faster for sure, while still fulfilling the role of a very Mechanically Similar Movement, as Swede would say.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
1. Great points all around. Getting to the upper echelon or even nationally competitive of 231 strongman would take me another decade of consistent training and diet with good execution on body comp manipulation. I just couldnt even register a rep in a lot of the events im seeing in the Heavy division for a lot of the comps im seeing right now so thats why i was just thinking MW. Simply because I know i wouldnt bomb out of every event at this very moment. But, I do think just working back up to 250-260 less sloppily than I did last time is my best bet on getting as strong as id like to be.

And in regards to drugs, I'm not really comfortable discussing this on public forums honestly. I never know which one of my future patients may stumble across this log some day and then god knows what would happen. I wish I didnt have to worry about that kind of thing but its an unfortunate reality of our current world.

2. True. I'll finish this block off with the paused ssbs and then reassess. Fronts were my second choice just based on their carryover to pretty much every strongman event.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I can appreciate that. I just wanted to illustrate that the top 231s ARE light heavyweights, that have usually been doing this 5-10 years seriously to get where they are. Most of them get up to 250-280lbs in off-season, doing local shows as a light heavyweight to stay sharp, then cutting down for big shows.

I just don’t think all of the weight cutting and stuff is necessary to train strongman and get into some local shows. Especially USS ones that have a light heavy of like 265 cutoff.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 8 day 3 - deload

•Floor fb bar press (215x3x3-5)
Guess at bar weight = 55lb
55/105/145/175/195x5
215x3x5

•Chest supported incline bench db row
80x10x3

Ss/

•Duffin upright row
25x10x3

•Pec fly
90x20 - was gonna do 2 sets but some lady jumped on and i didnt feel like waiting around.

Ss/

•Eagle curl machine myo-set
90x12
15s
x4
15s
x4
15s
x4@10

•Unilateral cable extension
15lb x30 each arm

Hot tub x15m
Cold tub x5m submerged to neck level, x5m belly button level.
Hot tub x5m

May start up the new week of training tomorrow instead of monday so i took this one pretty easy. Mondays and fridays are my longest days at work for this 5 week block, but i have Wednesdays off so im still trying to work out a consistent schedule taking that into account. Sunday Wednesday Friday Saturday might work, although thatd only give me 2 full days between dead/squat day and event day and 3 days on the other side before pulling again. Sunday, tuesday, wednesday, saturday may be the better option as 2 days between pressing is less likely to cause a problem than 2 days between deads & events. Sorry, im rambling at this point lol - just kinda thinking through it while writing it down.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Double posted

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I can appreciate that. I just wanted to illustrate that the top 231s ARE light heavyweights, that have usually been doing this 5-10 years seriously to get where they are. Most of them get up to 250-280lbs in off-season, doing local shows as a light heavyweight to stay sharp, then cutting down for big shows.

I just don’t think all of the weight cutting and stuff is necessary to train strongman and get into some local shows. Especially USS ones that have a light heavy of like 265 cutoff.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing your experience man. I absolutely agree with the second paragraph you wrote, you've heard my thoughts on weight cuts in Yomo's log a few times now. Light HW at a 265 cut off seems like id get the best of both worlds with what im after. Could afford to beef up to allow myself to get stronger with added lbm and improved leverages from mass overall but still not feel like complete **** from weighing so much and looking like a borderline slob.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You could be 265 with your frame and not be a lard-ass, no doubt. Probably not an underwear model, but still looking like you care about your health. I believe the key is just to let the body move up naturally at its own pace. Forcing the scale is something I have found to largely produce fat gain & gut distress.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 9 day 1

•Log C&P
70/100/130/160x5 (some leg drive only pop offs each set)
185x3x2 @6/6 (vid second set)
AMRAP in 60s, cleaning every rep
185x5 -> this is the first time my press hasnt been the limiting factor in one of these amraps. My clean was slowing down rep after rep.

Need to work on not going onto my toes but instead onto the outer aspect of my foot on the dip for the leg drive. After i videod the second triple i was better about it during the amrap but it was still there, to a lesser degree.

•CGBP (1/2 thumb from edge)
45/95/135/185x5
210x5
245x5
275x5+ --> [email protected] 15s rest pause [email protected]

•Ring pull up
x10 all pronated really focusing on adduction
x8 pronated into supinated at peak contraction
x6 first 3 pronated only, 2nd 3 pron to sup
+ 2 fat man with slow pronated eccentrics

•Floor rolling tri ext
Fb bar x12
Bar + 30lb x12

•Standing curl
Football bar + 30 x 10

•Even fatter man Ring pull up
(Feet on a bench out in front of you) (got these from Dante T. who does them in a smith machine instead, but the rings were right there for me)
x6, x8

As noted, push press is still a work in progress but I definitely feel that im making strides. Hoping to hit at least a body weight log press (which isnt anything to brag about whatsoever, but still a milestone no less) in week 11 of the program.

Cgbp is hiding in the same place my comp bench is (which is probably the same place the 20lbs i lost went too). I'm trying to tell myself its because im used to cgping fresh and im now doing it after log presses, which definitely does take some out of me, but i still think i should be hitting more reps than i have been.

Rest is fluff, program has a built in peak for a comp at the end of week 12 so this week accessory volume begins to get cut down. I will sort of autoregulate it myself depending on what body parts are or arent feeling beat up and what can historically handle more volume. Dont get me wrong, I wont be doing 5 sets of accessories or anything. But with the program only calling for 1 set of 10-15 i think I'll be able to handle a 2nd or 3rd set on most things.

Edit:
Heres the video of the second 185 set

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The way he describes how to do those Rack Chins sounds very brutal, due to the built in stretching. Pretty much most of his methods are brutal though.

Try pulling the elbows up higher, not back, to focus on pinning the log to the upper abs so it can ride them as you extend and then punch the elbows under - what you’re doing is working for you now, but will be tougher at bodyweight & harder on the biceps.

Something that Clint Darden says that helped my knee travel is to think “knees out” for the quick dip before the push. Really feeling that pressure on the outside of the foot like you mentioned.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The way he describes how to do those Rack Chins sounds very brutal, due to the built in stretching. Pretty much most of his methods are brutal though.

Try pulling the elbows up higher, not back, to focus on pinning the log to the upper abs so it can ride them as you extend and then punch the elbows under - what you’re doing is working for you now, but will be tougher at bodyweight & harder on the biceps.

Something that Clint Darden says that helped my knee travel is to think “knees out” for the quick dip before the push. Really feeling that pressure on the outside of the foot like you mentioned.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Week 9 day 2

•Conv DL
135/185/225/275x5
315x3
360x1x8 - 30s rest. They were flying. Felt dialed in - i will note i did these in socks vs my reebok xfit high tops.

•SSB 2 ct pause squat
55/105/145/195 x5 (+ doubled mm around knees)
235x3
260x2
285x2x6 - 60s rest. Felt..okay. Didnt feel as explosive as they were probably intended to be.

Only had about 35-40 mins for this session after work today. Gf said tacos would be done around 7 and momma raised me to never be late to dinner so i skidaddled at 645 sharp. Will do my seal rows and kb swings with upper day tomorrow.

Im unsure if its my lat insertion on my left arm from the pullups or my medial triceps thats sore but whatever it was was cramping/knotting up all session.

Edit: it is in fact my triceps. Hopefully it's gone by tomorrow, supposed to work up to a circa 1rm on bp.

Last edited: