Jim's Back and Everything has Changed....

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Alright, so as I mentioned, I'm finally back. Got the shed out up, got the equipment put together, and can finally get back to training.

My goals have changed since finding out my back is all jacked up, so I'm no longer on a mad dash to 300+# BW.

I still want to be strong as ****, but I also want to be an all around better athlete. So my training will reflect that.

I'm currently focusing on two sports with my training, and as such, am using a lot of the principles from Alex Viada's Hybrid Training book. The two primary focuses are powerlifting (just getting stronger all the way around, really) and boxing. I don't intend to compete in the latter, at least not at this time, but I enjoy the training and like to be prepared physically for anything that may come up.

Primary goals are:
Increase muscle mass
Increase muscular strength, specifically in Sq/BP/DL
Increase aerobic conditioning
Regain technical proficiency with boxing footwork, hand eye coordination, and punching technique/power

Training will be split into strength work and conditioning work throughout the week, starting with the highest intensity work and working into lower intensity work as the week goes on.

Currently looking like:

Monday: Strength (Heavy BP, BP Volume, Push Press, Rows, Pull ups) Conditioning (Heavy Bag or Interval Run)

Tuesday: Strength (Heavy BS/DL, BS/DL Volume, Quad/Hammie, Abs) Conditioning (rest)

Wednesday: Strength (Rest) Conditioning (Mitt Work or Tempo Run 20-40 minutes)

Thursday: Strength (Speed BP, TUT CGBP, Shoulders, arms) Conditioning (rest)

Friday: Strength (Speed BS, Pause Sq, SGDL, Abs) Conditioning (rest)

Saturday: Strength (rest) Conditioning (long slow run 60-90 minutes)

Sunday: Strength (rest) Conditioning (recovery run 10-20 minutes)

Diet will be high carb focus for recovery, everything else will fall where it falls.

And that's it for now, I'm about to leave for work so I'll update today's training and elaborate a little when I get a chance later today.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OK, so a little elaboration.

Heavy bag work will be done after maximal Bench, and before Volume bench. The idea is to do 3-4 2-5 minutes rounds. Progressing with a little more time, and throwing more punches. All punches thrown with maximal force, and a few minutes (1:30-3:00) between each "round".

Mitt work will be done working on footwork and trying to continue moving at a " comfortably hard" pace for the entire 20 minutes, progressing to 40 minutes. As the sessions get longer, they will not be entirely mitt work anymore and will start and end with a set time for a comfortably hard pace jump roping.

The recovery run will possibly change periodically as I get more equipment, I am mainly considering going for bike rides on those days (if I decide to buy bikes).

Assistance work on all days will vary, and the "training maxes" that I set last week will be retested ~every 6 weeks. Heavy work will wave 5/3/1RM and Squat and DL will alternate weekly.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Today's training was Strength work, no conditioning. I intend to ease into the weekly training and will start the bag work next Monday. I have not yet decided on whether I will be doing Mitt work this week or not, though I most likely will.

Anyway; here is today.

5-11 Upper

Bench: work to 185 x 5

Bench: 160 x 6 x 2

Push Press: 115 x 5 x 2

BB row (strict): 175 x 5 x 3

Pull-ups: BW x 10 x 2, BW x 8 RP 2

Couldn't finish the 3rd set of 10, so rested 20-30 seconds and did the last 2. Bench felt awkward, trying to shake the rust off and expect things to get more comfortable as the days go on.

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
In on this. Program looks very interesting and excited to see how it all comes together for you.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oops.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sub

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh hai guyz!

Current stats update:

Height: fuggen short
Weight: fuggen small
Lifts: fuggen weak
Bf%: fuggen high

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh hai guyz!

Current stats update:

Height: fuggen short
Weight: fuggen small
Lifts: fuggen weak
Bf%: fuggen high
Same here except my scale reads fuggin lard ass.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5/12 Lower

Squat: work to 225 x 5
Squat: 190 x 6 x 2
Fronts: 155 x 6 x 2
Hanging Leg Raise: BW x 10 x 3

Meh. Squats felt heavy, cut the fronts 2 sets short because of sharp pain in the left (bad) knee. Not sure it would've been a problem, but was having Brandon Lilly flashbacks and decided it wasn't worth the risk. Outside of that they weren't bad, trying to build some confidence in the movement again.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mitt work done today, 15 minutes of continuous work (harder than it sounds for those who haven't done it lol).

Trying to work on footwork, and reacting to an "opponent". Obviously, sparring would be the better option but its hard to find someone who's willing to get hit in the face on a Wednesday.

Shoulders fatigued way too quickly, had to make a conscious effort to keep good head movement, reaction time was far too slow, etc......

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's the practice for, or is it just cardio?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's the practice for, or is it just cardio?
Partially, and also partially because I've always enjoyed it.

I've not practiced any combat sports for close to 6 years now, and not boxing for maybe 10. I always mean to get back into it, but never do.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Upper today.

Bench (Speed): over warm up (185 x 1), 160 x 5 x 2

CG Bench (3-0-3): 155 x 6 x 2, 155 x 5

Lateral Raise: 32 x 6 x 3

BB curl: 65 x 8 x 2

Meh. Had a little shoulder discomfort today at the bottom of the presses. The cadenced cgbp blows, everything else was OK. Pretty damn sore the last few days, the mitt work has me sore in ways I've not been sore in a long time.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dam. Looks like curl strength never went anywhere.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I noticed that too, weird.

How are all my lifts gonna tank, but curls actually feel easier. Dafuq?
Masturbation carryover, probably.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh, looks like we've got a comedian over here.

Lower today:

Squat (S): 190 x 5 x 3
Squat (P3): 190 x 4 x 3

SGDL: 185 x 8 x 2

Lunges: BW x 10 (each) x 3

Plank: BW x 60 x 2

(S)- speed work
(P#)- pause for seconds

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
40 minute run today, slow pace at something like 11 minute miles. Think we covered something like 3.32 miles.

Working into the longer times for the run and trying to break in the new shoes without tearing our feet up too bad.

Also, running for that long is incredibly, incredibly, boring.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Post run frozen yogurt happened too, about to eat some double everything chipotle too.

justanotherj

justanotherj

Awards
40 minute run today, slow pace at something like 11 minute miles. Think we covered something like 3.32 miles.

Working into the longer times for the run and trying to break in the new shoes without tearing our feet up too bad.

Also, running for that long is incredibly, incredibly, boring.
I feel your pain. Finally someone else who shares my woes

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Upper today, still no bag work because the bag hasn't shown up yet. Should have it by tomorrow, so that will begin next week.

Upper:

Bench: work to 195 x 3

Push Press: 115 x 5 x 2

BB Row: 175 x 5 x 3

Pull ups: BW x 10, 8, 6

Rushed through it today, long hours at work yesterday and ended up sleeping through my alarm. Bench felt better, no discomfort today. Just weak.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lower today.

DL: work to 275 x 3
DL: 235 x 6 x 2

RDL: 185 x 5 x 4

Hanging Leg Raise: BW x 10 , BW x 8

Meh. Deadlifts were easy today, trying to take it slow with the weight progression for now. Got the heavy bag in, so that's cool. Wanted more HLR reps, but hands were killing so I shut it down.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As far as training theory for this time goes, my major progression at this time will be increasing volume before increasing weight. The volume increases are already "built-in" to the runs and with how far out I am from the meet I intend to work on building a base before moving in to higher intensity training cycles. When I work up to my 1-3-5RM they are usually small jumps for higher volume and no missed reps on anything besides hypertrophy work because of the recovery toll that missing a rep causes. Every 6th week the 1RM day will be taken closer to a "true" max to reassess assistance percentages.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very smart plan Jim. That will pay off.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
In here.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Work last week was terrible, got Thursdays workout in and was exhausted by Friday. Started squatting but was tired to the bone, slept until 9PM on Saturday so no run then.

Knocked today's out in ~55 minutes, which sucked. At work right now but throwing a quick update up:

Bench: work to 215 x 1
Heavy Bag: 1 min x 2 rounds (1 minute rest)

Push Press: 125 x 5 x 2

BB Rows: 175 x 5 x 3
Pull-ups: BW x 10 x 2, BW x 8

Felt like I was going to die a few times throughout today's training. Stimulants before bag work was an absolutely terrible idea, don't know why I did that. Felt nauseous, heart was racing, shaking, just a lot of bad (was only my usual 2 scoop alphamine). Note to self: no stimulants before Monday training.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Flooded in at work right now, so yeah. Might not even be able to go home tonight at all.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Flooded in at work right now, so yeah. Might not even be able to go home tonight at all.
What a nightmare. Where you at? A coworker told me her house in TX is pretty flooded.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I work on the West side of Houston, and live on the North Side. Most of the major highways are closed from the flooding right now, so I'm not really sure how I'm going to get home.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bleh, got home at like 8AM. Slept through my alarm and now I've got to go back to work.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Made up yesterdays workout today.

Squats: work to 275 x 1
Squats: 190 x 6 x 2
Fronts: 155 x 5 x 2
HLR: BW x 10 x 3

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love the volume days. They suck, really, but carries over single PRs like crazy (fell behind a few days).

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Upper today:

Bench (S): 160 x 5 x 2
CG Bench (C303): 155 x 6, 155 x 5, 155 x 4
BB Curl: 65 x 8 x 3

Yuck. Cadenced bench press is awful.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Been lazy last few days, updating from last two sessions:

Friday, Lower:

Squats (S): 190 x 5 x 3
Squats (3P): 190 x 4 x 3
SGDL: 185 x 8 x 2
Split Squat: 16kg x 8 x 3
Roll outs: BW x 8 x 2

Saturday: No run, rain came down pretty hard so I opted to not run in the rain.

Today, Upper:

Bench: work to 195 x 5
Push Press: 125 x 5 x 3
BO Rows: 175 x 5 x 4
Pull ups: BW x 10 x 3

Planning to do the bag work on Wednesday this week, and on Sundays from this point on.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lower today:.
Deadlift: work to 265 x 5
Deadlift: 235 x 6 x 2
RDL: 185 x 5 x 4
Pallof Press: Purple Band x 10 x 3 (per side).

Finished in just under 50 minutes, deadlifts felt OK.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wife came home to this today, anybody got any ideas wtf is going on here?

Looks like someone trying to steal cable maybe? Idk, that doesn't make sense with that kind of wire but I've got nothing. It wasn't like that before and she came home and happened to notice the green wire. I took it off when I got home, but whatever it is it means someone was in my yard doing something.....

Attachments

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can't zoom in for some reason, but if it's copper wire that's exactly what they were doing. We see it a lot here. They'll break into houses and rip wires out of the walls all through the house. Crazy.

If it's not copper, I dunno. Seems like a lot of work for little value.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is that better?

I've never seen that green wire before so whoever was doing it brought that thing and started connecting it..

Attachments

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's a ground wire. Is it attached to the cable wire? It's probably for grounding the cable in case it's struck by lighting, assuming it's run overhead. Would seem odd that someone would come install a ground for you. Also, not have the nerve to do it right. lol

Maybe there's a loose screw/ground metal near there that it slipped out of.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's a ground wire. Is it attached to the cable wire? It's probably for grounding the cable in case it's struck by lighting, assuming it's run overhead. Would seem odd that someone would come install a ground for you. Also, not have the nerve to do it right. lol

Maybe there's a loose screw/ground metal near there that it slipped out of.
Hmmm, I'll have to check when I get home from work tonight.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Had a couple of long days these last two, AC is leaking water so had to get a guy to come look at it yesterday (showed up like 4 hours after I got to sleep too) and told me they don't work on that kind so had a different guy come out today (5 hours after getting to sleep lol.). Luckily the Home Warranty should cover most of the replacement.

Bleh. Tired at work right now, still got 7 more hours to go.

Upper today:

Bench(S): 160 x 5 x 3
CGBP (C303): 155 x 6 x 3
BB Curl: 70 x 8 x 3
Band Pushdown: Purple x 25 x 2

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!