Jim's Back and Everything has Changed....

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
3" block pull: 275 x 3, 315 x 3 (drop) 285 x 4

a1. DB RDL: 50 x 10, 55 x 10
a2. DB Lunges: 40 x 10 x 2
a3. Chin-up: BW x 10 x 2

b1. Back Ext. (+30 sec hold): +25 x 20 x 2
b2. Facepull w/ Ext. Rot: MM (+Mini) x 20 x 2

Hanging Leg Raise: BW x 12, BW x 10

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
DB Bench (3 sec pause): 75 x 4, 80 x 4, 85 x 1(lol), 80 x 4

a1. Vbar Pulldown: 105 x 10 x 3 (hold last rep for ALAP)
a2. Facepull: MM x 20 x 3

b1. WG Pushup (4 sec eccentric): BW x 8 x 3
b2. Lawnmower: 60 x 15 x 3

EZ bar curl: 60 x 50 (20/15/15)

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Upper:

CG Bench: 185 x 4, 205 x 2, (drop)185 x 6

Feet elevated Pushup: BW x 20 x 2, BW x 16

a1. BB Rows: 135 x 8, 155 x 8 x 2
a2. Facepull w/ Ext. Rot: MM (+mini) x 20 x 3

Shoulder Shocker 2.0: 9# x 8 x 2

BB Curl: 65 x 10 x 3

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
SSB squat: 205 x 4, 225 x 4, 245 x 4, 220 x 9

SSB split squat: 115 x 8 x 3

SSB GM: 135 x 8 x 3

TRX pike: BW x 12 x 3

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Planning to upgrade my gym equipment this black Friday.

Looking at having a custom rack made by black widow training gear so that I can get a smaller footprint. Dip attachment, landmine, etc.

Looking at having a lat pull/low Row/belt squat machine made to replace the lat pull I have now. That way I can belt squat without taking up too much more space.

Looking at possibly getting a reverse hyper, standalone of maybe rack mount. Heard some conflicting stuff about it though, McGill says it puts a lot of shearing forces on the spine which is exactly the opposite of what I want it for..... Any thoughts?

Trying to maximize the floor space I have to get the equipment that is most necessary for PL and longevity.

What I have now: GHR, DB 1-100, 1000+# plates, TPB, York Oly Bar, Oly beater bar, SSB, Swiss bar, bands, GHR, lat pull (will be replacing), rack (will be replacing).

Any ideas on what I should look for for my gym? I have limited space, so I can't go full commercial with machines but I do want to look at getting as much of the important stuff as I can.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also looking at replacing the SSB with a spider bar.

Or just keep the ssb and get a spider (or cambered).

Will be selling all that I replace too, in case anyone is looking at getting a home gym.

Will be selling a barbell, rack, 1000+# weight plates, DB handles, lat pull/low Row.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
McGill also doesn't like weightlifting belts either. Idk. Hard to argue with such a smart man

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I vote keeping the SSB and just getting a cambered bar. It'll give more options.

I like the reverse hyper FWIW

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I vote keeping the SSB and just getting a cambered bar. It'll give more options.

I like the reverse hyper FWIW
That's what I'm leaning towards.

I've always felt that the RH helped my back before when I had access to one, Idk.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Like most things in this industry...I've seen a lot of conflicting evidence. Some PTs seem to love them and then there are people like mcgill who dont. I think as long as you dont try and be superman and do a weight you can handle with good form and keeping the tension on the glutes and lumbar erectors then they are great. When you try and go too heavy is when i feel like they can be a disaster. Just my opinion, and honestly i dont have much experience doing them.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm saying rev hyper for sure. The belt squat will also help with decompression, that's absolutely a great tool to have. Rack up leg volume after you've taken your back and core up to the brink. Just stay tight on the way down on your reverse hypers So you don't over stretch your back. That put me down for awhile the one time I made that mistake. I like the cambered bar idea. Never got to use a spider bar.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm saying rev hyper for sure. The belt squat will also help with decompression, that's absolutely a great tool to have. Rack up leg volume after you've taken your back and core up to the brink. Just stay tight on the way down on your reverse hypers So you don't over stretch your back. That put me down for awhile the one time I made that mistake. I like the cambered bar idea. Never got to use a spider bar.
I was hoping you'd comment especially because I know you have a back injury and use the **** out of the rev hyper.

Been doing some scaled drawings for the floor plan in the gym and just trying to figure it all out.

Getting a rack with a smaller footprint will open the gym up a lot I think. Trying to decide if I want weight storage on the rack or just go with a set of weight trees to take up less space.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Weight storage on the rack would save the most space because you could use more vertical space instead of floor space, I would think. Th e rack would be bigger but you save overall space.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
+1 for the reverse hyper.

I hate it that you have so many goodies to get rid of, that I want, at a time I can't have them.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
+1 for the reverse hyper.

I hate it that you have so many goodies to get rid of, that I want, at a time I can't have them.
I likely wouldn't be able to get rid of anything for 6-10 weeks, depending on how long it takes to receive anything to replace them.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Weight storage on the rack would save the most space because you could use more vertical space instead of floor space, I would think. Th e rack would be bigger but you save overall space.
Was thinking about something like this, the width should fit inside of the rack uprights. Would just need to move it away from the wall a little, but should be less space than another upright.

Possibly.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/8370.html

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Little update, no other workouts were done this week. Had a 3 day weekend, which was nice, but all it did was cram my regular hours into 4 days so getting up early enough to train was a struggle.

Planning this gym out and contacting manufacturers for quotes. Looks like I will be getting :

Squat Rack w/ storage and tons of options
Belt Squat machine (depending on footprint)
Selectorized lat pull/low Row (replace plate load)
Reverse Hyper
GHR (maybe? Thinking I might get a good bulk price for large purchases and it might make sense to get a beefier GHR)
Cambered Bar
BB storage rack

Rack options:
2x2 (or 3x3 not sure if it matters)
Band storage
Pull-up ladder (or monkey bar)
Band pegs (upper+lower)
Safety chain hooks
Westside spacing
Dip attachment
Landmine attachment
Sumo base

Also, planning to build a platform for inside the rack. Won't be raised or anything, will just be replacing the mats with plywood (birch top layer) so I can bolt the rack down (screw, more accurately) and it'll look nice.

Thoughts?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Damn. Yeah that sounds awesome dude. I join swim in the super envious club.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, at this rate I could even open my very own Westside lol.

It's pretty exciting if it all works out. Space and money is the biggest consideration, I'll be able to offset the cost some though when I sell all the stuff I have now.

So, if anybody is looking to start their own home gym in the next couple of months.....I might know a guy.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bench yesterday

Bench : 185 x 2, 205 x 2, 215 x 2,
(Drop) 195 x 4

Feet Elevated Pushup: BW x 20 x 3

a1. BB Row: 155 x 8 x 3
a2. TRX Facepull W/ Ext. Rot.: BW x 20 x 3

Shoulder Shocker 2.0: 9# x 8 x 2

BB Curl: 65 x 10 x 2, 65 x 6

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Squat:

Low Bar Squat: 275 x 2, 295 x 2, (drop) 265 x 4

https://www.instagram.com/p/-xOPGDsv5F/

BSS: 53 x 8, 53 x 10 x 2

Good Morning (Low bar, wide stance): 135 x 8 x 3

Wife said the squats looked smooth, they felt hard. No video above 275 because I told my wife to spot me, in case I died.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Eh 275s were smooth. So if 295 set was like that, i agree with the mrs.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, they all felt harder than they looked.

Even the 275 felt hard, honestly I wouldn't have gone heavier if I hadn't seen it on video.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
DE Upper

Clapping Pushup: BW x 3 x 8

a1. Weighted Pullup: +25 x 3 x 4
a2. VBar Pulldown: 100 x 20, 100 x 16, 90 x 20 x 2

Ouch.

b1. Inc. DB Fly: 20 x 10 x 3
b2. Rear Delt Pullapart: Mini x 20, MM x 20 x 2

Push-ups (AMAP in 4 minutes): BW x 91

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Will probably be moving back to a truer Westside programming style in the near future.

Haven't had any setbacks and am going to get back to some more serious powerlifting training in the near future. Will likely be early next year, until then I plan to stay with the WS4SB template I'm running with now.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also, lats and triceps are sore as ****.

Overslept today, so I will be doing legs tomorrow.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If any of you were going to get competition plates, which would you get; Ivanko of Eleiko?

I lean towards Eleiko, I like the way they look a little better I guess.

It's probably going to come down to price, really; if I get either. Just looking for some opinions.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm with you on the eleikos for the same reason. At the end of the day they're both high quality so you may as well just get whichever one you like the looks of better.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm with you on the eleikos for the same reason. At the end of the day they're both high quality so you may as well just get whichever one you like the looks of better.
That's what I was thinking, although right now it looks like Ivanko is able to get the best price by a long shot.

Also, Eleiko doesn't have a 50kg plate for whatever reason. I mean, it isn't like its necessary or anything; but its cool that Ivanko has them.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That's always something to consider. Once again, they're both quality so you have to decide if:
1. you want to spend more money for "cooler" looking plates or
2. Spend less money for an equally quality product that you may not think looks as cool.

I know what id choose...but I'm kinda cheap sometimes lol.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's always something to consider. Once again, they're both quality so you have to decide if:
1. you want to spend more money for "cooler" looking plates or
2. Spend less money for an equally quality product that you may not think looks as cool.

I know what id choose...but I'm kinda cheap sometimes lol.
Yeah, that's true.

I'm the same way, but the last thing I want to end up doing is not liking what I get and trying to replace it later.

I'm not sure that would happen with the Ivanko, but its something to consider.