Jim Stoppani

APC80

APC80

Awards
He's annoying. His "Jym Army" is annoying. And his sups are overpriced garbage. Pass on Stoppani. He's a paid actor repping someone else's formulations.
I haven't seen much of him is he full of shyt then? Didn't even know he had a line of supps. Heard about him before but never took much notice I'm more into Mike Matthews he doesn't bull****.

LAH813

LAH813

Awards
  • Established
I haven't seen much of him is he full of shyt then? Didn't even know he had a line of supps. Heard about him before but never took much notice I'm more into Mike Matthews he doesn't bull****.
There's better YouTube personalities out there than Stoppani imo. Kris Gethin, Layne Norton, Marc Lobliner are all guys who actually write their programs and in regards to Marc and Kris, formulate their sups.

APC80

APC80

Awards
There's better YouTube personalities out there than Stoppani imo. Kris Gethin, Layne Norton, Marc Lobliner are all guys who actually write their programs and in regards to Marc and Kris, formulate their sups.
I'll check them out in the morning never really bother with YouTube experts. Definitely have to see how annoying Stoppani is, in my head I thought he would be sensible and straight talking.

LAH813

LAH813

Awards
  • Established
I'll check them out in the morning never really bother with YouTube experts. Definitely have to see how annoying Stoppani is, in my head I thought he would be sensible and straight talking.
He comes off fine. But the more you listen to him and his "Army" the more you realize how pretentious he is. I'm sure he is a very smart guy. Just don't care for him really.

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I did his short cut to shred with epistane, lord have mercy that worked so well... even with average diet

Beta

Awards
  • Established
I'm a fan of Mike Matthews. The guy gives straight up info.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not everyone is for everyone. I think he is pretty solid and I hate most all "gurus". It usually is the following that is the worst.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Not everyone is for everyone. I think he is pretty solid and I hate most all "gurus". It usually is the following that is the worst.
Going by his book he seems to know his ****. At least he doesn't just regurgitate stuff he's read in a book like most of them, he gives scientific explanations and backs it up with studies.

Things like eating every 3 hours, massive protein intake and high glycemic carbs post workout have been debunked by the mainstream but Stoppani actually provides studies that show maybe that stuff actually does make a difference. These were the methods used by Arnold and the bodybuilders from the golden era so maybe he's right.

The mainstream gurus may be just saying what ordinary people with busy lifestyles want to hear so they buy their books and watch their YouTube videos.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Yeah I wouldn't hate on the guy at all. Can he be a little gimmicky? Yeah but his supplements (while expensive) seem to be legit as a whole. He makes good training videos for people who need them also

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
He's smart to have such a strong presence in terms of training advise and nutrition. Beyond getting PAID, making sure people get the most of your supplements is going to get better results. Plus for some people it's a cult-like thing, like cross fit

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wedgylx are you the same Wedgy from the DA forums like 7 or 8 years back? If so, glad to see you still in the community! Sorry for the hijack. Good discussion everyone.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Wedgylx are you the same Wedgy from the DA forums like 7 or 8 years back? If so, glad to see you still in the community! Sorry for the hijack. Good discussion everyone.
That's me celc5 ! Thanks! Still been working out, just not as much time for the boards.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Yeah I wouldn't hate on the guy at all. Can he be a little gimmicky? Yeah but his supplements (while expensive) seem to be legit as a whole. He makes good training videos for people who need them also
Just watched his training video for back, biceps and abs for the shortcut to size program and it was really good. He's straight to the point and doesn't go off on tangents like most YouTube gurus. I even learnt how I was doing dumbbell rows was probably irritating my SI joint. His idea of using straps on all back exercises to get an extra rep or two sounds like it could work too.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just watched his training video for back, biceps and abs for the shortcut to size program and it was really good. He's straight to the point and doesn't go off on tangents like most YouTube gurus. I even learnt how I was doing dumbbell rows was probably irritating my SI joint. His idea of using straps on all back exercises to get an extra rep or two sounds like it could work too.
I've seen several of his videos and he seems like a smart guy. I'd say listen to what he has to say and see if it works for you. If it doesn't, there are plenty of others out there.

APC80

APC80

Awards
I've seen several of his videos and he seems like a smart guy. I'd say listen to what he has to say and see if it works for you. If it doesn't, there are plenty of others out there.
Gonna have a go at his shortcut to size program in a few weeks when I start another bulk. Won't hurt to mix in some higher rep training I tend to stick to low rep strength training too much. Doesn't hurt to try some new things.

LAH813

LAH813

Awards
  • Established
Gonna have a go at his shortcut to size program in a few weeks when I start another bulk. Won't hurt to mix in some higher rep training I tend to stick to low rep strength training too much. Doesn't hurt to try some new things.
Yeah man. Don't let my salty opinion discourage you on him. A lot of people love his advice/workouts/supps, it's really mainly his "I'm the only one who's right and my sups are the only ones that work" attitude. Also his "Jym Army" is f1cking annoying.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
He may have some good tips which it sounds like you've already started to pick up on. For me it's about trying new stuff and seeing what works. I can't fault him for having his own supplement line either even if it is overpriced. It probably gets old driving people to other brands when you can just make the money yourself and nobody is forcing anybody to buy it.

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Jim Stoppani, Jeff Cavaliere and Jeff Nippard are my go to Bodybuilding/Fitness gurus

Demgainz

Demgainz

Awards
  • Established
Like I stated previously, I like his programs and his supp line a lot. I like them simply because i have used them/currently use them, and I believe they work. Not part of the "Jym army" or fan club but figured I would post this simply because of user experience. His latest book doesn't just have the shortcut to shred and short cut to size programs which you can simply find on bodybuilding.com, it literally has over 100 different routines that you could use along with a decent amount of knowledge on other topics especially those new to the weight room. I know this may sound like I am advertising for the dude but I highly recommend it. Even some of his tips on how to perform various exercises are informative and could provide new and useful insight.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Like I stated previously, I like his programs and his supp line a lot. I like them simply because i have used them/currently use them, and I believe they work. Not part of the "Jym army" or fan club but figured I would post this simply because of user experience. His latest book doesn't just have the shortcut to shred and short cut to size programs which you can simply find on bodybuilding.com, it literally has over 100 different routines that you could use along with a decent amount of knowledge on other topics especially those new to the weight room. I know this may sound like I am advertising for the dude but I highly recommend it. Even some of his tips on how to perform various exercises are informative and could provide new and useful insight.
His books great for all the different routines in them, there's something to suit everybody. I watched a couple of his other videos and he is annoying in them, if I'd have seen them first I probably wouldn't have bought his book. Comes across like he's talking to a bunch of kids, very patronising and irritating.

Everyone should watch his shortcut to size videos, even if you aren't gonna do the program, I got a few useful tips out of them.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I use straps for all back workouts myself

For me, its about being able to activate the muscles in my back versus using Biceps for everything. I noticed a huge benefit to my back by adding them in

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I use straps for all back workouts myself

For me, its about being able to activate the muscles in my back versus using Biceps for everything. I noticed a huge benefit to my back by adding them in
Straps will not effect weather or not your biceps get involved in the lift, straps take your forearms out of the equation so grip strength doesn't become a factor

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Straps will not effect weather or not your biceps get involved in the lift, straps take your forearms out of the equation so grip strength doesn't become a factor
Beg to differ. Using the straps eliminates a lot of the recruitment of the flexors in the forearms. Activation of these leads to increased activation of the biceps

Try making a fist without accidentally activating the biceps.

Additionally, using the straps allows you to go thumbless which also decreases forearm/biceps activation.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Beg to differ. Using the straps eliminates a lot of the recruitment of the flexors in the forearms. Activation of these leads to increased activation of the biceps

Try making a fist without accidentally activating the biceps.

Additionally, using the straps allows you to go thumbless which also decreases forearm/biceps activation.
True. Hard to do wrist curls without your bicep flexing. Gonna get a set of straps before I start the shortcut to size program.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Miniscule amounts
Maybe just because my biceps are dominant, but its a very noticeable difference for me. Its worked wonders for a lot of people I've trained also.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Maybe just because my biceps are dominant, but its a very noticeable difference for me. Its worked wonders for a lot of people I've trained also.
I can agree with that. At the end of the day what works best for a individual is far more important then anything else

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
True. Hard to do wrist curls without your bicep flexing. Gonna get a set of straps before I start the shortcut to size program.
For most back exercises, I use a hook (or thumbless) grip. I do find that this helps me to focus on pulling with my late as opposed to my biceps. Additionally, I focus on pulling from the elbows, not the hands/wrists, which also minimizes biceps involvement and places more emphasis on the lats, and allows for a ROM more complete and focused on the lats than being dominated by the biceps. Another useful trick is to think about pulling the bar apart as you pull, which further helps focus on the lats as opposed to the biceps. With these things in mind, I do not feel straps are necessary, although they can help to the same ends as the hook grip while ensuing grip strength (which is reduced with a hook grip IMO) doesn't end the set before muscle fatigue does. For most exercises, I do not find straps to be necessary though, even weighted Pullups, and I do believe that working and improving grip strength is a good idea and useful both for overall strength and performance as well as forearm development.

APC80

APC80

Awards
For most back exercises, I use a hook (or thumbless) grip. I do find that this helps me to focus on pulling with my late as opposed to my biceps. Additionally, I focus on pulling from the elbows, not the hands/wrists, which also minimizes biceps involvement and places more emphasis on the lats, and allows for a ROM more complete and focused on the lats than being dominated by the biceps. Another useful trick is to think about pulling the bar apart as you pull, which further helps focus on the lats as opposed to the biceps. With these things in mind, I do not feel straps are necessary, although they can help to the same ends as the hook grip while ensuing grip strength (which is reduced with a hook grip IMO) doesn't end the set before muscle fatigue does. For most exercises, I do not find straps to be necessary though, even weighted Pullups, and I do believe that working and improving grip strength is a good idea and useful both for overall strength and performance as well as forearm development.
Aye I'm worried I'll lose grip strength if I start using straps only gonna use them when necessary. I find my grip keeps slipping atm with it being summer and sweating a lot.

Are the ones with the built-in hooks any good or should I just get the ordinary straps?

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Aye I'm worried I'll lose grip strength if I start using straps only gonna use them when necessary. I find my grip keeps slipping atm with it being summer and sweating a lot.

Are the ones with the built-in hooks any good or should I just get the ordinary straps?
for me, ordinary straps are much better. I'm sure you're doing enough to keep the strength with your other lifts

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I've used the ones with hooks for rack pulls before, and they seemed to work well enough, and they are "easier" than straps IMO. I've also used them for heavy pulldowns, and I think they were fine. I haven't used them in a long time though, even for heavy weighted pullups/pulldowns and rows. I agree that you should just use your "unassisted" grip when it's possible, and only use straps/hooks when your grip would terminate the set before your target muscles would.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
for me, ordinary straps are much better. I'm sure you're doing enough to keep the strength with your other lifts
That's probably true, but it seems like, for me at least, the most intensive/demanding exercises for my grip strength are back exercises (excluding deadlifts of course), as things like pullups and rows require really holding/gripping/supporting the weight (which can be relatively heavy) with grip strength, as opposed to other exercises, like chest, where heavy weights usually don't have to be "gripped" the same way as back, and exercises for arms and shoulders tend to use relatively lighter weights, making them not quite as demanding in regards to grip strength.

I do think that as long as you only use hooks/straps for your "heavy" sets he should be fine though, as I'd imagine he's doing several sets with increasing weight before doing the "heavy" sets, and also that he isn't only doing heavy sets as his working sets every workout.

APC80

APC80

Awards
That's probably true, but it seems like, for me at least, the most intensive/demanding exercises for my grip strength are back exercises (excluding deadlifts of course), as things like pullups and rows require really holding/gripping/supporting the weight (which can be relatively heavy) with grip strength, as opposed to other exercises, like chest, where heavy weights usually don't have to be "gripped" the same way as back, and exercises for arms and shoulders tend to use relatively lighter weights, making them not quite as demanding in regards to grip strength.

I do think that as long as you only use hooks/straps for your "heavy" sets he should be fine though, as I'd imagine he's doing several sets with increasing weight before doing the "heavy" sets, and also that he isn't only doing heavy sets as his working sets every workout.
Can't go too heavy on back anyway as I've SI joint dysfunction, heavy rows will pop it out of place and then it affects a lot of my other training especially legs. Can't do anything heavy that hinges at the hips like deadlifts, good mornings, RDLs etc at all now and my back squats look like front squats lol

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can't go too heavy on back anyway as I've SI joint dysfunction, heavy rows will pop it out of place and then it affects a lot of my other training especially legs. Can't do anything heavy that hinges at the hips like deadlifts, good mornings, RDLs etc at all now and my back squats look like front squats lol
Ok. What about rows with your chest supported? I tore a ligament in my lower back wrestling a while back, so I prefer doing rows with my chest supported, things like dumbbell rows on an incline bench and seated hammer strength rows (plate loaded) with a supported chest. I can still go "heavy" on these, but they don't strain my lower back nearly as much as unsupported rows do, and allow me to really focus on working my lats.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Ok. What about rows with your chest supported? I tore a ligament in my lower back wrestling a while back, so I prefer doing rows with my chest supported, things like dumbbell rows on an incline bench and seated hammer strength rows (plate loaded) with a supported chest. I can still go "heavy" on these, but they don't strain my lower back nearly as much as unsupported rows do, and allow me to really focus on working my lats.
I'll have to try them never thought about it before. Should be able to go heavy with these if I'm supported. Feel stupid for not thinking about doing that before lol Cheers for the tip I was wondering what I was gonna do for db rows when the sets get heavier on the program.

Beta

Awards
  • Established
check him out man, in all his videos he provides case studies and references, learnt a lot from him!
I'm a fan of Jeff Nippard's. Also, as a 5'6" manlet myself, he's a good source of inspiration hahah.

APC80

APC80

Awards
check him out man, in all his videos he provides case studies and references, learnt a lot from him!
Actually watched a good few of his videos now he's really good. I like guys like him that don't just spout bro science as if it's gods word but actually have facts to back up what they say.