Jim Stoppani's 11 week "up and down" program

ItalianoGuy

Awards
I read the Lifting Heavy article by jim stoppani and he says he has an 11 week program. You start reps 20-30 and then decrease reps increase weight each week till u hit 3-5. Then you go pyramid back up to doing 20-30. Anybody know where i can find it? I checked bb.com and googled and binged to no resolve. Thanks a bunch

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I read the Lifting Heavy article by jim stoppani and he says he has an 11 week program. You start reps 20-30 and then decrease reps increase weight each week till u hit 3-5. Then you go pyramid back up to doing 20-30. Anybody know where i can find it? I checked bb.com and googled and binged to no resolve. Thanks a bunch
I don't know where you can find it. All I was going to say is that this is just employing Western (not westside) periodization. I'm sure you could find some programs that are similar to his that employ western periodization that begin at a higher range and decrease volume/increase intensity over time. To be fair, taking sets to failure is an intensifier, so I imagine the volume is not as high as it might be on your microcycles employing 8-15 reps per set. So it's possible his program is a tad different.

EDIT: this is probably it Bodybuilding.com - Jim Stoppani's 12-Week Shortcut To Size

ItalianoGuy

Awards
Hmm alright ill see what i can find thanks. Yeah hes got it where you take every working set to failure. I could probably just use his rep settings and plug in my own excercises but i like it better when its thought out for me lol

ItalianoGuy

Awards
I dont think so cuz i used that program earlier this year. It uses supersets and rest pause

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I hear cookie cutter recipes from that website suck. Just my opinion though, but for real bodybuilding (with some respectable strength) you could look into PHAT by Layne Norton.

ItalianoGuy

Awards
Yeah a majority of the programs blow ass. Although that 12 week shortcut to size one from stoppani was hands down the best ive ever done. My lifts were consistently going up and i got strong as ****. I didn't gain as much size cuz my diet wasnt spot on but i did get great results from it i recommend it to everybody. Cool ill have to check that out

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Yeah a majority of the programs blow ass. Although that 12 week shortcut to size one from stoppani was hands down the best ive ever done. My lifts were consistently going up and i got strong as ****. I didn't gain as much size cuz my diet wasnt spot on but i did get great results from it i recommend it to everybody. Cool ill have to check that out
He does nothing special, he calls them Micro-cycles...Same thing as progressing and deloading.

Wendler 5/3/1 proposes to go Week 1 for a 5x3 on main lifts, Week 2 a 3x3 , week 3 is 3 sets (5:3:1) (hence the name). And then a deload of 5x3 again, but at the warm up weight only.

Cookie cutter program you recommend, he wants you to do Rest pauses and drop sets while decreasing reps , and then you increase them again...so that looks familiar...it is still a progression and a deload...but a bit sad one since every single week for 12 weeks you are going to failure every single day, either rest pausing or drop setting...Let alone he also has a pathetic list of supplements he recommends.

ItalianoGuy

Awards
Yeah i don't ever follow the supps cuz its all bs. They put those down cuz hes sponsored by them and to sell more on the site. I donno i liked it cuz ive never incorporated drop sets/ rest pauses like that before and i like training to failure cuz i feel it a lot more. Im big into volume

ItalianoGuy

Awards
I checked out that PHAT program. I like the set up other than having to fit in a 5th day of lifting. How long are you supposed to do it for?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I checked out that PHAT program. I like the set up other than having to fit in a 5th day of lifting. How long are you supposed to do it for?
As long as you like it. Remember to deload every 6-12 weeks according to need actually :/