Jim: Performance is King Log.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Woah! Tons of dudes subbing in now! Hadn't seen some of you guys in a HOT minute, how's life been going?

Today's session was no bueno. It was doomed from the start, got to Sam's Club and found out that I had a hose leaking coolant and it was making my car overheat. Found out what it was today, it had been an issue I was trying to figure out ALL WEEK. And, in case you were wondering, I did fix it (I think) in the most redneck way possible. Which is? Duct Tape. So hopefully that will at least give me a temporary fix until I ultimately just replace the hose itself.

With that said:

RE Lower

1 Hour Pre: 3 Drive, 3g Mono
30 Min Pre: 1 Uncut, 6 N.O. Uptake
Intra: Leftover from yesterday- MBCAA + Gatorade

Warmup: BR Hip Flexor Stretch, Hip Circles, Fire Hydrants.

Front Squat: 45x10, 95x10, 135x17, 175x12, 175x14 (Holy pump, my legs were CRAMPING up bad in between these sets)

Bulgarian Split Squat: 100x8 (And this was where I called it a day)

Notes: LOL why even have notes for this? But seriously, went in to the front squats a little distracted, couldn't stop focusing on the car issue. Took the first two sets a few shy of failure and took the last one to the point that I knew I wouldn't get back up if I dropped down again. Headed to the Bulgarians and was feeling really sick to my stomach (not in a working to the point of nausea way either). Very strange. My assumption is this being diet related, didn't get relieved from my guard shift until 0600 and it was supposed to end at 0200. So I didn't get my usual meal until 5 hours later than normal and hit the gym 3 hours after that, with no other food in the system.

For RE Lower days, I will probably take less Uptake. That **** was terrible lol. Had some awful capsule burps (meh it happens), so I may go back to what I did last time which was to eat a little something after taking them (by little I mean just enough to clear the throat of whatever nastiness stays up in there lol). I'm guessing the focus is good with uncut, considering I couldn't think about anything but my car, talk about tunnel vision lol. Felt better after I ate a little snack during the ride home (hypoglycemic maybe? It happens every now and again when using pump products. I can't think of anything in either product that would cause that but I noticed it last time I ran uptake as well.) :thinking: Anyway, hoping it was just a fluke occurrence. Maybe I was just being a baby because of high rep front squats (it happens to the best lol)

Also, in case anyone is wondering "why front squats?"....this is why, in a nutshell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEwzyHeAlos

I honestly prefer front squats to back squats (I know, I know specificity and whatnot) but I'm not a PLer (yet) so I like front squats. (it's more of a love-hate thing than anything else).

packers6211

packers6211

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Killer update brother love the squats just started back doing them myself! And ducktape!!! That's how we roll in Bama lol.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah dude, agree on cutting the assistance. Doing squats for any more than 5 reps is pretty much a workout beginning and an ending. 175x14 is frickin GOOD, man! Building the upper back AND the deep leg drive. Cannot say enough how important having a strong back is when you're squatting for PRs.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah dude, agree on cutting the assistance. Doing squats for any more than 5 reps is pretty much a workout beginning and an ending. 175x14 is frickin GOOD, man! Building the upper back AND the deep leg drive. Cannot say enough how important having a strong back is when you're squatting for PRs.
I fell on the ground after I racked it lol.....

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
fuuuu10.jpg

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I love me some front squats.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I haven't done front squats in years. Next week I'll implement them, as I remember liking them a whole lot. Don't think I'll be doing 14 rep sets though...

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I haven't done front squats in years. Next week I'll implement them, as I remember liking them a whole lot. Don't think I'll be doing 14 rep sets though...
Don't. 14 rep sets are the tool of the devil.

Did you watch the video I posted?

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Don't. 14 rep sets are the tool of the devil.

Did you watch the video I posted?
I did. Very informative. Makes good sense too. Front squats it is next week, but I'll still do back squats.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I normally do 15 reps for BBB and it is murder; like actual pain.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
2May13 GPP

Pre: 3 Drive, 3 Uptake, 1 Uncut

Intra: 1.5 scoop BCAA+ (need to dilute more, too sweet for how high intensity my training is currently)

Warmup: BR Hip flexor Stretch, 1 leg hip extension, BR Hammie Stretch, Assisted hip openers, Lower body foam rolling (forgot lacrosse balls for upper body)

Dynamic Track Warmup: High kneesx15yds, Butt kicksx15, Cariocax15/direction, Leg swings, Solider kicksx20

Sled Pushes: 160+sledx20YDSx4 (75 second rest)

Battle Ropes:
30:60 (work:rest) alternating arms
20:40 simultaneous arm

This was a kick in the crotch lol. Need to up my fluids, got a little dehydrated today. Had planned to get 1 more on the ropes and then do some upright sled drags, but the BW sled pushes were enough to thoroughly whip my ass.

I literally thought my quads were going to tear off.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
2May13 GPP

Pre: 3 Drive, 3 Uptake, 1 Uncut

Intra: 1.5 scoop BCAA+ (need to dilute more, too sweet for how high intensity my training is currently)

Warmup: BR Hip flexor Stretch, 1 leg hip extension, BR Hammie Stretch, Assisted hip openers, Lower body foam rolling (forgot lacrosse balls for upper body)

Dynamic Track Warmup: High kneesx15yds, Butt kicksx15, Cariocax15/direction, Leg swings, Solider kicksx20

Sled Pushes: 160+sledx20YDSx4 (75 second rest)

Battle Ropes:
30:60 (work:rest) alternating arms
20:40 simultaneous arm

This was a kick in the crotch lol. Need to up my fluids, got a little dehydrated today. Had planned to get 1 more on the ropes and then do some upright sled drags, but the BW sled pushes were enough to thoroughly whip my ass.

I literally thought my quads were going to tear off.
Damn. I'm trying to figure out where exactly in that workout I would have passed out. I'm guessing round 2 of the battle ropes. Luckily, you'll always pass out before you die. That's what my coach told me.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn. I'm trying to figure out where exactly in that workout I would have passed out. I'm guessing round 2 of the battle ropes. Luckily, you'll always pass out before you die. That's what my coach told me.
I was about to. I also felt like I was about to vomit (and crap) so I ran (walked quickly) to the bathroom. And when I got up from the toilet I found that I could barely walk so.....

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Eh I puked today...it happens
I refuse to vomit. Absolutely refuse.

Although, I've considered getting a bucket from Lowes to bring to the gym with me from now on.

This new program (and the intensity I'm bringing into it) is frigging rough. I need to work on my work capacity lol.

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
I do it every once in a while. Sucks but meh...

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
5x15 on front squat? Couldn't imagine the burn ...
Yeah, the pain is intense but the weight is no more than 60% of my 1rm. Its a struggle but the payoff is worth it.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I hate it more than anything.
I never have from weights, but have a couple of times from testing my lactate threshold and anaerobic capacity via yo-yo sprint tests. Not much fun.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Didn't get a chance to do anything this weekend. Except sit on a desk, eat fast food, and strengthen my brain. Started listening to the audio book Mastery it's pretty good so far.

Slept too late on Sunday to get any sprints or sleds in. :sigh:

But today! got my workout on.

6MAY13 ME Upper

Pre: 3 Drive, 7 N.O. Uptake, 2 Uncut, 3g Mono
Intra: 1/2 gallon of BCAA + Gatorade

Warm-up: External Rotations, Over and Backs, Ext. Rot., Shoulder Dislocates, Lacrosse ball across pec minor and scapula adductors.

Bench: Work to 2RM (normally wouldn't do the same exercise 2 weeks in a row, but the workout partner didn't go last week so I just changed the rep range and hit it again)
45x5, 95x5, 135x2, 175x2, 205x2, 215x2, 225x1 (PR)

Dips: BWx18, +45x13

a1. T-Bar Rows: 25x12, 45x12, 70x12, 85x8, 115x6 (had to feel these out because I haven't done them in years lol)
a2. Face Pulls: 100x12, 120x10, 120x9x2, 140x9

b1. BB Shrugs: 185x13, 205x10, 205x14 (alt. grip, 7 each. Grip was smoked and I couldn't hold it for the last set)
b2. Rope Pushdown: 100x15, 120x13, 140x8

Notes: The pump on the first superset was intense! Might have hit a PR on the face pulls (rep PR), but I would have to check my log to be sure. Also, might have hit a rep PR on the Dips as well (but again, I would have to check). My Tri's were feeling awful (read: awesome) during the last set of the pushdowns. Wasn't able to get the rope today for face pulls so I used this awkward 'V' shaped bar and it actually worked out really well. Feeling like a boss right now, bout to shower and then eat some teriyaki chicken and rice and stuff. Got RE Lower tomorrow (last week RE, before starting the pendulum wave for DE), probably going to be conventional deads or rack pulls....:yikes:

Had a solid PR for the bench today. I have never quite been able to push through the 225# barrier; until today. The lift was a bit of a grind, but it was clean! The tri's are definitely my sticking point right now, so this is the perfect opportunity to completely hammer them. Forced adaptation and ****. Went for the second rep and it wasn't trying to go anywhere, my spotter made it hard to push through, but I definitely only got 1 on my own (he didn't touch that friggin bar lol).

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Congrats on the PRs!

One of favorite feelings in life(accomplishment).

packers6211

packers6211

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome numbers brother and love the face pulls! I do them every back routine.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Doin work! Not too far from that bench goal...

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Got to the gym late today, but still got it done!

Hit the RE lower today, and it was AWFUL! Had to really push it to get done at a decent hour because of how stupid work was today.

RE Lower

Pre: 3 Drive, 2 Uncut, 3g Mono
Intra: Gallon jug of BCAA+ and Gatorade

Warm-up: Shortened because of time. Squat to stands, foam rolling, hip mobility drills

Deadlift: 45x7, 132x7(WU), 176x15, 198x15, 242x11 (shortened the reps because it was a full DL and not a squat variation)

Front Foot Elevated Split Squat: 1'x45#x8 (WU), 4"x88#x8, 4"x116x8x2 (per leg)

Good Mornings: 154x6, 176x6, 198x6, 242x6

Uneven Farmers Carries: 88#/70#x30ydsx3 (per arm)

http://youtu.be/8PHaocKSQq8

Notes: Energy was solid throughout the session. Rest intervals were short, intensity was high. Felt good for maybe an hour after the session, and then it all hit me at once (while I was ordering chinese). Now I'm so tired, I'm so worn out from that. Bout to pass out lol.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looks like you're walking drunk with uneven weight, haha. I'm sure it's harder than it looks. Gotta try those.

packers6211

packers6211

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very good update bro and love the deadlifts. I get a rush out of those!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looks like you're walking drunk with uneven weight, haha. I'm sure it's harder than it looks. Gotta try those.
It wouldn't have been so bad, but those douchebags decided to lay right in my way on my last round. I tried to go to the left of them and one of them actually stretched out so I had to go the other way. Douches....

Very good update bro and love the deadlifts. I get a rush out of those!
Lol I hated the deadlifts....

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It wouldn't have been so bad, but those douchebags decided to lay right in my way on my last round. I tried to go to the left of them and one of them actually stretched out so I had to go the other way. Douches....
And that's why man possesses the ability to yell.

packers6211

packers6211

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Man that wouldn't be the time for a GTFO it be more like Hulk smashing time biatches!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sitting at 167.6 before breakfast.

Time to eat more food....

packers6211

packers6211

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
FEED HIM MORE!!!! And yeah bro I agree lot of people today have lack of respect for others. But what goes around shall come back around!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
FEED HIM MORE!!!! And yeah bro I agree lot of people today have lack of respect for others. But what goes around shall come back around!
Right? Its friggin ridiculous. I lived in a small(er) Texas town, courtesy was expected. Now I'm around all these people from different backgrounds and that **** is ridiculous.

packers6211

packers6211

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Right? Its friggin ridiculous. I lived in a small(er) Texas town, courtesy was expected. Now I'm around all these people from different backgrounds and that **** is ridiculous.
Check your pm bro sent you something

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, the fatigue hit me like a ton of bricks though lol!

Went in today and got some RE upper work in. Didn't realize that I was sore until the blood started rushing into my chest lol.

9May13 RE Upper

Pre: 3 Drive, 7 Uptake, 2 Uncut
Intra: Gallon mix of Gatorade and MBCAA+

Warmup: Band Ext. Rot., Over and backs, Dislocates, Ext. Rot., BB Bench with Bar

DB Bench: 70x12, 70x10, 70x9, 70x7 (lol they kept getting heavier and heavier!)

a1. Hammer Grip Behind Neck Pulldown: 80x12, 100x8, 90x8, 90x10
a2. Seated Cable Rear Delt Row: 80x9x2, 80x8, 80x9 (The pump with this superset was literally painful. I had to stretch my bi's in between sets)

French Press: 60x8, 70x5, 70x4

Bradford Presses: 95x8, 105x2--95x4, 95x4--95x1

For those that haven't done Bradford Presses, I encourage you to try them. It will make you feel like a little girl if you use the right intensity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSXNin4nCbc

Notes: Pump was awesome, in a terrible way. It was literally painful, like physical and mental agony (mostly physical lol). Got some good work in today, total workout time was approximately 60 minutes.

Also, for those who haven't seen elsewhere, my car caught fire today. So I may have to change my name to "JimChevy" because the Buick is now totaled. The entire engine was engulfed in flames, so yeah... Buying a new vehicle tomorrow from a buddy. It's and '89 Chevy Silverado with a rebuilt engine, trans, and rear axle with about 45,000 on them. So yeah, my day was friggin' awesome.

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
Cool vid. May give it a go