JD's Come back and getting Huge Log!!!

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
Yah I am going A-Gvt again this summer similar but 10 sets of 5 instead.
Haha, my workout ended up being just the opposite, 5 sets of 10. Negatives are a bitch !!

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Haha, my workout ended up being just the opposite, 5 sets of 10. Negatives are a bitch !!
So you're doing eccentric training ? (slow negatives). yah there is a real weight adjustment involved there...

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
So I started the GVT today. Using negatives to give it a little more of a challenge. Well it ended up being a lot more of a challenge !!! I didn't get 10 sets on anything haha

Flat BB bench- tempo 4-0-1-0
185 5 sets 10

Bent over barbell rows- 3-0-1-1 ( so 3 sec. neg, 0 sec pause, 1 sec pull, 1 sec hold )
185 5 sets 10

Incline DB flys-
40's 3 sets 12

Seated Cable rows- 2 sec squeeze
160 3 sets 12

I was supposed to do 90 sec rest between sets but had my son lifting with me so not sure, probably more like 60 secs. He was using 95lbs so we put 25's plates on the inside and would slide the 45's on the outside when it was my turn to bench. So whatever time it would take to pull plates, have him lift, then put plates back on.

Did a few hill sprints with my wife, then sat in the shade and watched her finish her cardio ;)

Will see how sore I am tomorrow. It is crazy to watch my video benching 385lb then to fail using 185 !!

Squats tomorrow will be fun!!

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
So you're doing eccentric training ? (slow negatives). yah there is a real weight adjustment involved there...
Yes it is !! I went from doing heavy sets of 315 to slow sets of 185 :-/

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes it is !! I went from doing heavy sets of 315 to slow sets of 185 :-/
Yah but that will go back up eventually we you become more accustomed to it.

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
Yah but that will go back up eventually we you become more accustomed to it.
I am sure I will. It was just crazy how about the 3rd to 4th set the last few reps were vary tough. And then when I failed, I failed ! I had to have my boy help re-rack the weights haha

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
No eccentric training today DreamWeaver ! I will eventually work it into my leg workouts, but I haven't done a lot of volume in a while so I will work my way up ;)

Had to wait on the squat rack so we did calves first.

Seated leg press machine calf raises-
320 4 x 15

Squats-
225 8 sets 10

Prone leg curls-
100 8 sets 10 (last two sets 7 reps then partials)

Decline weighted sit-ups- holding a 25lb plate at forehead level
3 sets 10

I only had my boy doing sets of 5-8 but he still managed to keep up. He's only 14 so I hope he gets into it. Until he passes me up that is ;)

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yah my son passed me when he was 16, actually he passed all of us. He was a powerlifting guy and we were a bunch of bodybuilders, what a beast that kid was but he gave it up when football ended for him.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I totally understand the effects of the negatives! I'm doing gvt using tempos as well and it is quite challenging!!!

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
GVT, gotta love it !! In a sick twisted kind of way :saeek:

Shoulder press in smith machine-
135 10 sets of 10 (barely)

Pull-ups-
Bodyweight 10,10,10,6,6,5,5,5,5,6

Bent over rear laterals-
25's 3 x 12

Straight arm pulldowns-
using lat pulldown
60 3 sets 15

The gym was pretty packed this morning so I had to change things up a little. Wasn't real sure about doing shoulder presses anyway, so I didn't mind using the smith. It was my son's first time doing them so the smith machine was probably a better choice anyway ;)

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
Oct last year at 208 first pics.

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
Now at 212

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
GVT arms today. Did skull crushers in place of dips. My switch and do dips next week...

Skull crushers with straight bar-
60lb 10,10,10,10,10,10,10,8,8,9

Ez bar standing curls- alternating narrow and wide grips
60lb 10,10,10,10,10,10,10,8,8,7

Rope pushdown-
90 x 20
110 x 15
110 x 15 drop 10 drop 6

Standing DB curls- alternating arms, and supinating wrists
25's x 15
30's x 12
35's x 12

I got a feeling my arms are going to be sore tomorrow !!! We are hanging sheet rock in my dining room ceiling too so that should be fun ! :(

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some nice size for sure. When is you're next show ?

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
Me too you are in a good position for leaning out.
Thanks DreamWeaver !! I have about 3-4 more weeks to stuff my face with food then a slow cut. I learned a lot from my cut earlier this summer so I hope it goes better this time ;) For one I WILL NOT be running T3, if I do, it will be a very low dose. I dropped way to much weight way to quick!

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Uggg I started my cut this week 16 weeks... going slow to so I don't get anxious

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Uggg I started my cut this week 16 weeks... going slow to so I don't get anxious
I'm a 20 week guy since I haven't competed for 2 years or nearly. The first 4 weeks are more about defining where I am at. 16 is about right for JD though. Preps should be slow in order to give time for the proper adjustments.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah luckily I was in prep just earlier this year until surgery so my coach mapped out for 16 weeks.

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
Thought about hitting the gym today but it would be chest and upper back. My tris are way to sore!!! Got church, a birthday party at the pool, then a bbq tomorrow so it may be Monday before I get back at it.

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
Couple Swolfies at the gym tonight

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
Chest an back today. Ended up working a weird shift, 10a to 6p and was very tired when I got home, so without saying I forced myself to the gym again. Felt like a new person when I left :D

Changed it up and used DB's instead of BB for my bench.

DB flat bench- 4 sec eccentric, explode up
70's 10,10,10,10,9,9,7,7,6,5

Reallly struggled with the last few sets. I wanted to stop at the 6th one but made myself do all ten today.

Bent over BB rows
-
205 10 sets 10

Left out the accessory work tonight. Figured I hit it hard enough haha.

Crazy crazy pump tonight. Was getting a few too many looks from the other people there. It doesn;t help when you are in better shape than the rest of them (not bragging at all, honestly ) ;)

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
Leg day !!

Seated leg press calf raises-
340 4 x 15 after last set then rest/pause 10 sec/5 reps x 4

Squats-
225 10 sets 10
1st 6 sets with 3 sec eccentric, last 4 sets I just did what I could to make it through them !!! haha

Prone lying leg curls-
100 5 sets 10

I could barely walk after this workout. My legs where so tight I just sat in a chair for a bit before I tried to leave.The eccentric training really puts more into the workout then just doing reps. I honestly think I could do without the leg curls and just do 10 sets of squats :shock:

BigRed1974

BigRed1974

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Looking jacked brotha!!

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys, I'm trying!! Got about 3 weeks left to grow them it's a slow cut.

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
What do you do when you are supposed to have a scheduled day off at the gym?? You go anyway! haha

Shoulders and lats

Seated BB shoulder press- 60 sec rest
115 10,10,10,10,10,9,9,5,5,4

Pull ups- 60 sec rest

Lat pulldowns- 60 rest
140 10,10,10,10,10

Face pulls-
110 3 sets 15

Delts looked like 3 cannonballs today :D :D

Decided to do some ab work. I started with a few sets of hanging leg raises. Afterwards I bent over to pick up a cable handle and had a lower ab cramp up. YUP, that was enough ab work for today LOL

Had decided since last week I could only get 3 sets of 10 pull ups before my reps started dropping I would do sets of 8. WTH after my 3rd set they started dropping anyway?? So I switched over to the lat pulldown to make sure I would get all my reps in. Also this week I didn't use the smith to do the shoulder press so I went a little lighter. Man I could tell when I went over 60 sec rest, it made a difference in my strength. Staying right at 60 sec I started failing quick on the last few sets.

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
Arm day

Straight bar skull crushers- varying grip width, 60 sec rest
60lbs 10 sets 10

Standing straight bar curls- varying width, 60 sec rest
60lbs 10 sets 10

Rope pushdowns-
110 3 sets 15

Hammer curls-
35's x 8
40's x 8
Tendonitis in elbow started bothering me so I quit here.

3 sets of incline sit-ups with a 25lb plate

I made it through all 10 sets on the curls and skull crushers this time so I will up the weight next week.

I upped my test and started winni a few weeks ago to harden up some before I start my cut. So only on test and winni right now. Will start EQ around the beginning of my cut.

So my cut will consist of Test, EQ, Mast, either Var or winni, and probably ECA. I don't think I will run T3 this time, I lost way to quick last go around and lost to much muscle in the process. I'll also add in a diuretic the last week...

Started winni 50mg/day to harden up some these last weeks before I start bulking

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
How long running winny for?
5-6 weeks total. I'll be off all orals for probably 6-8 weeks. Probably do a good cleanse during that time.

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
4th of July. Four day weekend. And I've got a cold!! Ugh!!! Guess I'll sleep most the day and try to kick it.....

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
Still don't feel the best so took today off. Layer around most the day. Going to try to hit the gym in the morning. Don't know if I'll be up for gvt though....

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was feeling rough when I got in this afternoon but banged one out and feel fantastic. It sometimes what we need, not always :)

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
I was feeling rough when I got in this afternoon but banged one out and feel fantastic. It sometimes what we need, not always :)
Well it seemed to help some. I didn't do GVT, but worked up a good sweat and it felt good just to hit the weights. I'll put up my workout below..

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
I just did some all out sets today. Got the blood flowing and was just short of failure on the last set.

BB bentover rows-
135 x 25
185 x 20
225 x 15

Flat BB bench-
185 x 20
225 x 15
275 x 10
Thought about hitting 315 but just didn't have it in me today

CGBP- speed work, mainly just finishing off tris
135 4 x 15

Even though the reason I skipped out on GVT today was because I had been under the weather, I still like this style of training better than 10 sets of 10 :-/

I'll start up another prep log in a few weeks. I have just under 18 weeks to go right now until it is stage time and DAMNIT nothing will get in the way this time !!!!

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
Did some cardio tonight with the wife. May start my prep a little sooner than planned...

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
I haven't ran the GVT very long and am already changing it up :shrug: I am going completely opposite. I am only doing 1 or 2 exercises per body part 3-4 sets. Nothing crazy, no drops, etc. 3 days on , 1 off , repeat

warmed up with leg extensions and a few sets of 20 squats with 135

Squats-
315 x 15
275 x 15
225 x 18

Prone leg curls-
180 x 10
140 x 12
100 x 18, + 8 partials

Seated calf raises-
90lbs 4 sets 20

Each set was 1-2 reps shy of failure. At least until my last sets of squats. I am lucky I had a spot, on the last rep I actually started to fall back because my legs gave out !! Next leg day i will start off with 225 and go up each set.
Just a little change up. My brother swears by it. I know my legs were very pumped !! Bad enough the gym manager laughed at me and said I was walking funny haha

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What was your decision to change? GVT just bores you or ?

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
What was your decision to change? GVT just bores you or ?
For the most part yes haha. And I just want something I can get in and out if the gym for now, but still have a productive workout. Got a lot going on.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think you will like AGVT better, I know I do.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I took a page from your book on this mornings workout the pump was killer in and our fast

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
Arms, short and sweet.

Barbell curls-
90lbs 6 sets 6

Close Grip rack lock outs-
185 x 5
205 x 5
225 x 5 x 3

Single arm high cable curls-