Iphone

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
looks like a great product, I am curious as to how it will do. I buy one if I had cingular since Im a huge apple fan, but will have to wait another year or so. I wonder if anyone is going to trade their blackberry in for this phone now.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
yea i am on the fence if i am buying or not..all my comps are mac.i turned everyone i know onto macs..god i want that phone..lol..it comes out a day after my bady..maybe i will buy it

brywal312

brywal312

Awards
  • Established
As a mac addict and a Apple certified reseller I am seriously pissed that they are locked in to cingular. I used to sell Cingular and I absolutely hate the company!!! I cant wait till it comes out for Verizon. Hell, I would pre order it for verizon.

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
As a mac addict and a Apple certified reseller I am seriously pissed that they are locked in to cingular. I used to sell Cingular and I absolutely hate the company!!! I cant wait till it comes out for Verizon. Hell, I would pre order it for verizon.
Im the exact opposite. I absolutely HATE verizon, cingular has lots of nice added benifits like roll over minutes and such, it has all the verizon does plus more. Also with me being in a major city I cant get reception on my phone in my own damn house.

I think it is dumb to only go with cingular, but I believe it was due to their online capabilities and it being a different format than verizon. Eventually it will come out to other carriers, apple said it planned for cheaper versions and different carriers in a year or so

brywal312

brywal312

Awards
  • Established
Im the exact opposite. I absolutely HATE verizon, cingular has lots of nice added benifits like roll over minutes and such, it has all the verizon does plus more. Also with me being in a major city I cant get reception on my phone in my own damn house.

I think it is dumb to only go with cingular, but I believe it was due to their online capabilities and it being a different format than verizon. Eventually it will come out to other carriers, apple said it planned for cheaper versions and different carriers in a year or so
Nah, they got into a contract with Cingular so that they could break into the market with their Itunes enabled phone the ROKR. It is for this reason they are stuck with them i want to say through 08'

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Some big points for apple going with cingular is due to them creating the voice mail system specifically for them, that cingular will allow wifi on the phone so you can switch to that anytime by a wireless router and be on the internet without using any of your minutes, and also because it has GSM which is the standard for wireless internet globally, which verizon and sprint both dont have.

protomike

protomike

Awards
  • Established
Nah, they got into a contract with Cingular so that they could break into the market with their Itunes enabled phone the ROKR. It is for this reason they are stuck with them i want to say through 08'
actually i think its till 09 that they are going to do biz together... i really want one. knowing apple and rev 1 products i think im going to hold out and wait and see what everyone thinks of it first. hell thats the reason that i held out on buying a macbook pro right away. i gotta say, i hate cingular, but god damn this phone looks slick. its a shame its not 3g though. oh, and from what i remember the only down side to the iphone is lack of mms.

protomike

protomike

Awards
  • Established
I'm not positive but I think the retail cost is going to be around $599.
this is from tuaw.com:
Ordering, pricing, models: No preorders. First come, first served. $499 for 4GB and $599 for 8GB models. Rate plans are yet to be shared.
when they first had the commercials at the end it claimed you needed to have a 2 year contract with that price... but apple seems to have left that off all the recent commercials. im kinda wondering how much did they trim osx down and how much actual space are we going to have on the iphone for data/music? also will the iphone be able to store files, ala the ipod when its hooked up as a usb drive? part of the reason why im waiting it out. plus i wanna see if the euro version will be able to be brought to the states and work on the 3g networks here.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I can't believe people are actually hyped up about this sh-t. I got an apple Ipod 80GB video and blackberry which is probably combined the total of this iphone. The price on this is ridiculous and I think just about everyone has dropped their phone if not multiple times, more or less a 599 phone.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Yeah but I'd rather pay for the convenience of one device w/all those features as opposed to hauliing around a bunch of different ones. Plus it's a deduction for me.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
people jsut dont get this iphone..i hear people comparing this to other so called smartphones and how people who buy them wont buy this..but apple is not stupid they know the majority of peope that buy smartphones wont buy this.this is being marketed towrds everyone,apple is taking a technology and making it available to the masses in a cool package,idealy this will give there software a broaded exposure too..apple cannot lose with this.

personally i have a feeling around christmas we will see a new ipod with touch screen features and ability to flip the screen like on the iphone..i love mac..everything they do is just user friendly dont believe me checkout the preveiw of there new os http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
The razr when it first came out had a bunch of bugs and intially they didn't sell insurance on the phone. I'd be very surprised if the iphone does not have any glitches its first run.

brywal312

brywal312

Awards
  • Established
Bottom line... Apple makes good equipment. Apple has the #1 customer service/ Tech support of all. As far as comparing the Iphone with other smart phones: there is no comparison. Apple leads the pack in every area that matters. With people who have a cell phone and a Ipod the Iphone will be the logical next step. When you figure you will drop 300 for a video Ipod and 300 for a smart phone, Why not get both in one piece of equipment that looks awesome and will make everyone say OOOH you got a Iphone!
\Is an apple authorized reseller
\owns a mac and an Ipod and a RAZR

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bottom line... Apple makes good equipment. Apple has the #1 customer service/ Tech support of all. As far as comparing the Iphone with other smart phones: there is no comparison. Apple leads the pack in every area that matters. With people who have a cell phone and a Ipod the Iphone will be the logical next step. When you figure you will drop 300 for a video Ipod and 300 for a smart phone, Why not get both in one piece of equipment that looks awesome and will make everyone say OOOH you got a Iphone!
\Is an apple authorized reseller
\owns a mac and an Ipod and a RAZR
I guess you've never actually looked at smartphones, or pocket pc phones before, or your "every area that matters" is just to "make everyone say oooooh you have an iphone" (which has always been Apple's big seller anyhow, elitism) and not actual usage of the device . The iphone is a sorry weak mess compared to a smartphone given its price. Nonstandardard web and email programs, no ability to install any of your own software. Iffy compatibility with attachments.

8gb space for email, cached web, contacts, documents, photos, videos and music? give me a break, I wouldn't be able to store enough music or video on there for it to be of any use for that. For just a phone with web and email 8gb is ok, but video? Even music wise, at a decent bitrate thats not that many hours worth. Most IT department of major corps are refusing to support it, due to potential security issues. Apples "safety" to date has been because they have such a small footprint in the market, so they aren't an interesting target. If this becomes mass market, it suddenly is a big enough target.

Yeah but I'd rather pay for the convenience of one device w/all those features as opposed to hauliing around a bunch of different ones. Plus it's a deduction for me.
The problem is that with only 8gb max, you'll still be needing to carry the ipod anyhow, unless you have been carrying a nano and are used to only having a couple hours of music on tap, or you don't mind having to do your own daily reloading of music on it to have enough to make it thru a day at work. If it was at least a 30gb drive for the $599, it might be ok.

BMW

Awards
  • Established
meh i never really cared about this phone i never listen to mp3s on the phone i have now. im in love with the new upcoming HTC xv6800 since i have the xv6700 right now and i can truly say as a man thats been through many many phones is the greatest phone i have ever owned, apple is just feeding off the hype i dont see anything revolutionary about it.

brywal312

brywal312

Awards
  • Established
I guess you've never actually looked at smartphones, or pocket pc phones before, or your "every area that matters" is just to "make everyone say oooooh you have an iphone" (which has always been Apple's big seller anyhow, elitism) and not actual usage of the device .
8gb space for email, cached web, contacts, documents, photos, videos and music? give me a break, I wouldn't be able to store enough music or video on there for it to be of any use for that.
Tell me another smart phone that even comes with storage space actually included with the phone. The top rated smart phone - Motorola Q - comes with only 64mb of internal memory and expansion is a miniSD card slot which currently tops out at 4GB. Show me a Smart phone that even has internal memory worth noting, please, because I will seriously consider buying it. I am still going to wait on the Iphone till it gets loose from Cingular.

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I guess you've never actually looked at smartphones, or pocket pc phones before, or your "every area that matters" is just to "make everyone say oooooh you have an iphone" (which has always been Apple's big seller anyhow, elitism) and not actual usage of the device . The iphone is a sorry weak mess compared to a smartphone given its price. Nonstandardard web and email programs, no ability to install any of your own software. Iffy compatibility with attachments.

8gb space for email, cached web, contacts, documents, photos, videos and music? give me a break, I wouldn't be able to store enough music or video on there for it to be of any use for that. For just a phone with web and email 8gb is ok, but video? Even music wise, at a decent bitrate thats not that many hours worth. Most IT department of major corps are refusing to support it, due to potential security issues. Apples "safety" to date has been because they have such a small footprint in the market, so they aren't an interesting target. If this becomes mass market, it suddenly is a big enough target.

The problem is that with only 8gb max, you'll still be needing to carry the ipod anyhow, unless you have been carrying a nano and are used to only having a couple hours of music on tap, or you don't mind having to do your own daily reloading of music on it to have enough to make it thru a day at work. If it was at least a 30gb drive for the $599, it might be ok.
First you will be able to add apps, they just will not necessarily be 3rd party apps, they are going to start with only apple certified apps, which isnt the greatest but there will be some selection.

Next name other phones with 8gigs of storage.

As far as web and email goes, you can view the web as it is meant to be, not that crap cellphone compatible webpages, you have actual html rich email.

It has a multi touch screen which is VERY nice and only apple is out having this. not just a touch, but a multi touch. Also MUCH larger screen, capable of being view at landscape and normal.

Every magazine article I have read that compares this to other smart phones, when they compare some phones have one of the features apples does, but no phone has all the features it has. Its simplicity of use is easy to tell just watching the video posted above on how it works.

Lots of people I know do not think this phone is that great, but all the projections I see from wall street journal and other news organizations think this is going to be a hit.

Wendy21

Wendy21

Awards
the iphone looks rediculous.......people were waiting in line for them for hours...it is very expensive though, its around $500 or $600

CNizz

CNizz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
todays the day, i'll tell you who wont be in line... me

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Verizon had there chance. I hate cingular my self but cingular was the only one that said we won't even see it and you can still make it. Verizon said no way. No apple softwhere on the phone. Apple said stick it up your rear pretty much. I am with verizon my self. Verizon is comming out with a nock off from samsung that will never be as good.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
actually i think its till 09 that they are going to do biz together... i really want one. knowing apple and rev 1 products i think im going to hold out and wait and see what everyone thinks of it first. hell thats the reason that i held out on buying a macbook pro right away. i gotta say, i hate cingular, but god damn this phone looks slick. its a shame its not 3g though. oh, and from what i remember the only down side to the iphone is lack of mms.
3g at this piont sucks up battery so till that gets resolved and more locations have 3g wifi is fine with me.

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established