Interval Training.... YES!!!!!!!!

keeper

I HAVE GOT to give big props to HIIT. I'm in my 4th week and really loving it. No more dreaded, boring cardio work. But here's the kicker. When I began weight training in Feb, my body fat was at 21%. Late March, it was just over 19%. Today it is 15.24%! Weight training has done a lot for me (I am hooked) but I highly recommend HIIT for fat burning. Remember to vary the forms of interval training exercise. That's hard for me b/c I prefer running, but I've switched to jumping rope this week.

tripwired

Awards
I agree i lost 16lbs doing hiit, most of it came off my stomach which was awesome. I also started with running then did elliptical and bike. I've also added in plyometrics (from the p90x videos) which is basically hiit exercise, 1 minute jumping around a few seconds off.

Awesome job on the bf% drop keep it up.

Reactions: cmw
babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I HAVE GOT to give big props to HIIT. I'm in my forth week and really loving it. No more dreaded, boring cardio work. But here's the kicker. When I began weight training in Feb, my body fat was at 21%. Late March, it was 19%. Today it is 15.24%! Weight training has done a lot for me (I am hooked) but I highly recommend HIIT for fat burning. Remember to vary the forms of interval training exercise. That's hard for me b/c I prefer running, but I've switched to jumping rope this week.
A good weight lifting routine with some extra HIIT added to it is amazing for fat loss! I'm glad that you have had such great results from it! :)

elshano

elshano

Awards
HIIT and plyometrics are great! plyos have so many benefits for any athlete it's not even funny.. everyone should do them!

you can also shake up volume days in the gym by treating them as one big HIIT exercise - set time periods in which to push out the maximum possible reps, set rest period.. repeat until your entire workout is done in 15 mins and collapse (preferably on a nice gym mat somewhere)

great for explosiveness and attacking those type-2s!

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
there was some study done recently (i don't have the link for it), but it was cardio vs HIIT. after a month, the cardio group burned 17k more calories (on average) but the HIIT group lost 2% more body fat than the cardio group (on average). i found that rather interesting. no data in the article on what body fat ranges either group had.

keeper

I don't know about actual weight loss, b/c I've not been trying to lose, but I can sure say that HIIT is amazing for fat loss. I have noticed that getting my heart rate back down is faster now than when I started, enabling me to get in more peaks and valleys. I've gone from 5-6 intervals to 8-9 during my 20 min session, after warmup. I'm guessing the faster recovery is an indication of improved cardio function.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I don't know about actual weight loss, b/c I've not been trying to lose, but I can sure say that HIIT is amazing for fat loss. I have noticed that getting my heart rate back down is faster now than when I started, enabling me to get in more peaks and valleys. I've gone from 5-6 intervals to 8-9 during my 20 min session, after warmup. I'm guessing the faster recovery is an indication of improved cardio function.
Absolutely! Your endurance has gone up as you have gotten into better shape and as your body has become more accustomed to HIIT.

keeper

*5 min warm up at moderate walking pace.
*Increase activity level (sprint like a lion is chasing you) to take heart rate to max as quickly as
possible and hold there for 30 seconds, then back off to near nothing to slow heart rate back to
near resting level as quickly as possible.
*Repeat this cycle for as many intervals as possible for 15 minutes.

You must vary the form of exercise every 3-4 weeks. Running and biking are rated most
efficient, but I hate the bike. I am alternating running and jumping rope. Elyptical machine is
another option.

It's recommended only 3 times a week as an alternative to conventional steady rate cardio. No more than 20 minutes, including warm-up. I'm a believer.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
wow.. good work.
now i'm gonna definitely incorporate HIIT into my 3 days a week weightlifting.. prob do 2 days of HIIT.

btw, how did you measure your bf?... did u estimate using pics, use callipers or ____ ?

keeper

wow.. good work.
now i'm gonna definitely incorporate HIIT into my 3 days a week weightlifting.. prob do 2 days of HIIT.

btw, how did you measure your bf?... did u estimate using pics, use callipers or ____ ?
The nutritionist at my gym measured me using the 7 point caliper method. When she did it this week and showed me the calculation on her computer screen, I thought she'd messed up and asked her to re-measure. She did and it was the same. I knew it would be improved, but I was shocked by how much.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well, I haven't been doing HIIT for quite a while now. All this talk about it has got me wanting to do it again! So, today I'll be starting back up. :)

purebred

Would it be possible to have a good link or two shot out in which HIIT is laid out and explained? That would be fantastic! :)

keeper

Here's an email I got that's fairly comprenhsive:

High-Intensity Interval Training

High-Intensity Interval Training is a workout strategy that is intended to increase performance with shorter training sessions. High-Intensity Interval Training, or HIIT, is one of the best methods for muscle retention and fat loss. Studies have shown that long endurance activities such as aerobics cause the breakdown of muscle tissue, which is why HIIT should be emphasized. HIIT and interval training are very similar and the only difference between them is the intensity in which they are done. Interval training is a varying of intensities within a workout, where you add a low-intensity session with a high-intensity session.

You can perform your interval training in many ways, and you should also use variety. It can be performed on a stairmaster, mountain bike, local track, or a stationary bike. As with all methods of exercise, you should rotate the type of exercise performed to keep your body from adapting. If you desire longer-lasting results, cardiovascular work should be a priority on your fitness to-do list. Your main emphasis in exercise should be for cardio health, strength-training, and for flexibility. As with most cardio exercise, you should track your heart rate, distance, intensity, length, target heart rate, calories burned, and cool-down time.

One of the great things about HIIT is that it can be applied to other activities as well. Running stairs, riding a stationary bike, a stair-stepper, or any activity where you can shift from high intensity to low intensity will work wonders. Let`s say that you`re going to add HIIT to running sprints or steps. Start working in intervals! Jog for a certain amount of time, sprint for a certain amount of time, followed by a short jogging session, and keep repeating a certain sequence until your time is finished.

We`ve always been told that low-intensity aerobic exercise is the best method for ridding the body of unwanted fat. However, new research proves this opinion to be false. The reason that this low-intensity opinion of cardio exercise came about is a study that showed that lower intensity cardio burns a greater percentage of calories from as opposed to carbs. In research, HIIT has been shown to burn fat 50% more effectively that that of lower-intensity exercise. HIIT speeds your metabolism and keeps it running at a fast rate for up to sixteen hour after your workout. The bottom line is that HIIT burns a higher number of calories than that of lower-intensity.

If you are looking to burn fat quickly, HIIT is the way to go. However, not everyone`s responds properly to this method. Diabetics whose body already has problems managing carbs should not train with HIIT. Other people who have just started a workout program should start with low-intensity and slowly start incorporating intervals as they get more advanced. The demands of HIIT can only be used by experienced trainees because newbies will simply give up after the first day of hard work. Take things one day at a time and the results will be experienced at a later time.

Making Your Cardio Fun

Being bored is not fun and it`s even worse when you know that you have another thirty minutes left on the treadmill. The minutes seem to go by like seconds and you hit the stop button because you simply cannot go on any longer. So what happened? Why does the cardio have to be so boring? This article is going to give you alternatives to the good ole treadmill and hopefully give you enough inspiration to finish your workout.
The first alternative to simple cardio is by the use of workout videos. Workout videos are perfect for those who don`t have a gym membership and are acceptable because of their workout in your own living room. Workout videos are also perfect for motivation because the instructor pushes you all the way to completion. Another benefit of having this instructor on your TV is that you get expert guidance in helping you achieve your goals.

Another great alternative to cardio is by the use of a jump rope. The cardio benefits of jumping rope are tremendous because of its calorie burning effect in such a short amount of time. Jump roping can burn up to 1,000 calories per hour, making it one of the most effecient workouts possible. Jump roping is fun, easy to learn, inexpensive, great for kids, portable, and in my opinion, the best way to make your cardio workout fun.

Heavy bag training is not just for boxers anymore. On top of the great cardio workout that you are getting, heavy bag training also improves your self-defense skills. Heavy bag training also reduces stress, works your muscles, and helps improve hand-eye-coordination. Fitness manufacturers continue to develop new products aimed towards the fighting athlete. As new products are being developed, old training equipment such as the heavy bag are often forgotten.

Now that you`ve learned three great alternatives to dull cardio routines, you should now be able to achieve your fat loss goals much easier. Don`t over-do your cardio and never go over an hour of continuous work due to chances of overtraining. Take things one day at a time and reap the benefits at a later time. Until next time, later!

keeper

And this is a neat take on it:

Guerrilla Cardio: Your most powerful weapon for fighting fat.
Here’s the problem: You can
develop the best darn set of abs this
side of the big river; but if they’re all
covered up by fat, what’s to show off?
Nothing but a big fat belly, that’s what.
Here’s the solution: Wage war on that
ornery abdominal fat with Guerrilla
Cardio. It’ll “free” your dear abbies
from that prison cell of cellulite faster
than any other cardio program ever
developed.
“So just what is Guerrilla Cardio?”
you ask. Well, it’s an eight-week, mil-itant
aerobics alternative specifically
designed for folks short on time and
“fed up” with abdominal fat—or just
plain body fat in general. The premise
is simple: Rather than waste half your
day lazily plodding along in the so-called
“fat-burning zone” on the
Lifecycle or treadmill, hoping the fat
melts off before you die of boredom,
you radically pick up the pace and
alternate bouts of 20-second maxi-mum-
effort sprinting with 10-second
periods of rest. You do eight of these
gut-busting intervals. And all told,
excluding the warm-up and cool-down,
it’ll take you only four short
minutes a day, three days a week. Yep,
you read right … FOUR lousy minutes
a day, THREE days a week. That’s it!
“C’mon, four minutes!?” you say,
incredulous as Arnold Schwarzen-egger
watching an infomercial for the
Ab Slide. “Bull——!”
I know, I know … in an age when
we’re bombarded by suspect quick-fix
fat-loss strategies—if you can even
call things like thigh creams, “fat-blockers”
and prescription diet pills in
and of themselves “strategies” for los-ing
fat—what I’m proposing is indeed
enough to sound most people’s “BS”
alarm. I mean, four minutes of cardio
a day for ridding yourself of all your
superfluous flesh? It does have a ring
of those “hypish” infomercials for all
different kinds of ab-training devices—
you know, the ones that work so well
you only have to use them three min-utes
a day, and you’ll miraculously
develop rock-hard abs! Right.
The Guerrilla Cardio program, how-ever,
is different. It’s not a gimmick. It’s
not based on blind guesswork or
hype. It’s a real solution based on sci-entific
research as well as real-world
experience. In fact, according to
Japanese researchers, it may be one
of the best possible training plans ever
developed.
Here’s the deal …
Building a better fat-burning program
Recently, Dr. Izumi Tabata, Ph.D., and
colleagues from the National Institute
of Health & Nutrition in Tokyo, Japan,
set out in search of “the ideal” aerobics
training protocol—one that would most
efficiently increase fat burning and car-diovascular
fitness. Such a plan, the
researchers believed, should be:
High intensity. For years, we’ve
been told that low-effort aerobics is
the best method for burning fat. New
research tells another story. While
studies show high-intensity aerobics
may burn a little less fat than its low-intensity
counterpart during the time
actually spent exercising, the total
expenditure of calories (and fat!) is up
to 50 percent greater with intense car-dio.
You see, most of the fat you burn
with high-intensity cardio occurs after
exercising, not during the workout
itself. Research presented in the jour-nal
Medicine and Science in Sports
and Exercise shows that when you
work out using high-intensity inter-vals,
the total amount of calories your
body burns is elevated up to 142 per-
measure of aerobic fitness. As exercise
intensity increases beyond your VO2
peak, your body shifts to anaerobic
(without oxygen) energy production. In
the face of this oxygen debt, lactic acid
levels build up in tissues, making your
muscles feel sore. Your ability to con-tinue
exercising at this point is called
anaerobic capacity. Notice that athletes
in sports where a high level of both aer-obic
and anaerobic fitness are neces-sary
(wrestling, basketball, boxing,
speed skating, etc.) are some of the
leanest, most muscular individuals
around. Unfortunately, with most of the
cardio programs offered up today, it’s a
case of “either/or.” You either maxi-mally
stress your aerobic system (like
most slow-go cardio programs) or max-imally
stress your anaerobic system
(like most high-intensity cardio pro-grams
with long rest periods). So
clearly, a cardio program that maximally
improves both aerobic and anaerobic
capacity would be a godsend.
Brief. Too much aerobics burns
muscle! And muscle not only helps
you look leaner and stronger, it also
makes your body more metabolically
active. The ideal cardio program
would be just long enough to “spark”
your metabolism for that important
post-exercise fat “burn” but not so
long that it begins to eat away at your
hard-earned muscle!
In their search for the ideal cardio
program, the Japanese researchers
didn’t have to look far. Interestingly,
just up the road, their countrymen on
the National Speed Skating Team had
been practicing a form of cardio fitting
all of the above attributes for several
years.
And using it with astonishing
success, given their individual per-formances
at the most recent Winter
Olympics in Nagano, where Japanese
skaters won gold in the men’s 500
meters, bronze in the men’s 1,000
meters and bronze in the women’s 500
meters. More astonishing yet, per-haps,
might be these athletes’ builds—
cent more than low-effort aerobics
within the hour after your workout.
And it doesn’t stop there. Research
published in the journal Metabolism
shows this potent post-exercise
“burn” may persist for up to 48 hours
after exercising.
Fitness-promoting. The more fit you
become, the more likely you are to use
fat as fuel for any given activity. Peak fit-ness
is generally defined as having both
a high aerobic and anaerobic capacity.
Your maximum oxygen capacity, or VO2
peak, is generally considered the bestmuscular, powerful with hardly an
ounce of fat to show for … we’re talk-ing
body-fat percentages in the low- to
mid-single digits. Freaky lean, almost.
By now, you can probably guess
that this “secret” Japanese training
protocol is similar to the one I intro-duced
you to at the beginning of this
article—eight intervals of 20-second
maximum-effort sprinting intermixed
with 10-second periods of rest. That’s
right, four minutes total, excluding the
warm-up and cool-down. Intense …
fitness-promoting … short … and, as
you’ll come to discover, not so sweet.
Putting Guerrilla Cardio to the test
“… 8 very hard 20-second intervals
with 10-second rest periods may be
one of the best possible training pro-tocols.”
—Izumi Tabata, Ph.D., National
Institute of Health & Nutrition,
Tokyo, Japan
To test the effectiveness of this brief
but brutally intense regimen, Dr.
Tabata and colleagues pit it against a
moderate-intensity endurance pro-gram
commonly prescribed by advo-cates
of the so-called “fat-burning
zone.”
In the moderate-intensity group,
subjects riding exercise cycles were
asked to pedal at 70 percent of VO2
peak for an hour a day, five days a
week. VO2 peak and anaerobic capac-ity
were measured before and after
each training session for the duration
of the six-week study.
A second group also exercised five
days per week—only, these folks
weren’t afforded the luxury of pedal-ing
along at such a leisurely pace.
After a short warm-up, this group was
made to carry out eight sets of 20-
second maximum-intensity sprints on
an exercise cycle (170 percent of VO2
peak—were’ talkin’ intense, folks!)

Evans

Evans

Awards
This information on HIIT was very helpful. I’m looking forward to trying this out! Thank you. I am really looking to loose body fat. It doesn’t matter how much cardio I do, I can’t seem to get rid of the fat. Any other suggestions would be very helpful.

keeper

This information on HIIT was very helpful. I’m looking forward to trying this out! Thank you. I am really looking to loose body fat. It doesn’t matter how much cardio I do, I can’t seem to get rid of the fat. Any other suggestions would be very helpful.
I've been hooked on it since May, with the exception of 5 weeks that I had to take off due to a torn calf muscle. HIIT has continued to prove itself to me. It's my drug of choice when it comes to fat buring. Good luck to you.

cloc

cloc

Awards
  • Established
i have heard of HIIT many times but i never did cardio until i read this which was about an hour ago and i just finished my first HIIT session i thought i was going to go into cardiac arrest! ;p i am eager to lean up ive been bulking for 2 years and i am ready to get shreded i plan to do this 4-5 times a week i will keep you guys posted im my progress

keeper

A critical part of the success of HIIT is to take a day off between sessions. I wanted to do it daily once I got a taste of the effectiveness. Though a few details varied in all my reading and research, there was one solid consistency throughout the sources. That was to take a day off between HIIT days. I make the off day a heavy compound lift day. Good luck to you.

cloc

cloc

Awards
  • Established
ya today my legs were pretty sore and i decided to do an every other day schedule thanks!

learn

learn

Awards
  • Established
great job Keeper you have came a long way. Keep up the good/hard work

keeper

I missed this til just now. Thanks, bud. I appreciate your encouragement very much.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
http://musclemedia.com/training/hiit_table.asp
Just another variation and a NB. In the Tabata Protocol study, the participants did it 4 times a week and 1 day of steady state cardio. They also found that this type of training needed to be cycled every 3 weeks because it lost it's effectiveness. Then again, the level that these elite athletes were training at was FAR greater than most of us could hope to reach. If you shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll still be among the stars.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
werd! Im a big fan of fasted am HIIT.

Been hitting it 2-3 days a week. Actually putting on some good quad size and definition.

To balance things out, my leg days more targets hams/gluts.

BTW, you can structure your weight lifting session to mimic HIIT by using giant sets in a fasted state.