Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I need to bring box squats back into the mix when I start loading my back again.
I figure they’re a fun way to get some more squatting frequency in right now, without stressing my lower body in the same fashion as my free squats. The boxsquats are a bit wider stance, even with my very low Nautilus bench they don’t get to the depth of my free squat, and the SSB and bands definitely change how my body has to deal with the weight.

I don’t think they will have maximal transfer to my free squat compared to something more specific, but I do think they will make me stronger and more explosive.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
9/10/21
BW 223.8

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks
Facepulls

BB Strictpress
45 2x5
95,135,155,170x5

Behind the Neck Pushpress
180,190,200x5
210x1

Smith Machine Seated Shoulder Press
+90x12
140x6
130x8,6
110x7 -> 90x5

Laying EZBar Tri Extension
65x12
85x10
105x6
125x2 cheater reps -> CGBPx18

Seated DB Rear Delt Flyes
30x15,12,10

Made some solid progress over last week. Fun session at the commercial gym.

Was going to leave and saw Luke Nall finishing up his cardio, so went over to say high. We hadn’t trained together or seen each other in probably a couple years, so we ended up catching up for probably an hour. Even hit the sauna like real bros He’s getting ready for the big Showdown money meet on the 25th, and he has a genuine shot to take the 308lb class all-time world record from Larry Wheels, so it was extra fun to just talk lifting & hang out. Haven’t had much man time since becoming a new dad, so this was great.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
9/10/21
BW 223.8

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks
Facepulls

BB Strictpress
45 2x5
95,135,155,170x5

Behind the Neck Pushpress
180,190,200x5
210x1

Smith Machine Seated Shoulder Press
+90x12
140x6
130x8,6
110x7 -> 90x5

Laying EZBar Tri Extension
65x12
85x10
105x6
125x2 cheater reps -> CGBPx18

Seated DB Rear Delt Flyes
30x15,12,10

Made some solid progress over last week. Fun session at the commercial gym.

Was going to leave and saw Luke Nall finishing up his cardio, so went over to say high. We hadn’t trained together or seen each other in probably a couple years, so we ended up catching up for probably an hour. Even hit the sauna like real bros He’s getting ready for the big Showdown money meet on the 25th, and he has a genuine shot to take the 308lb class all-time world record from Larry Wheels, so it was extra fun to just talk lifting & hang out. Haven’t had much man time since becoming a new dad, so this was great.
thats awesome bro

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Still Killing It !!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
9/12/21
BW 226.0

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

V-grip Chin-ups
BWx5
+30,50,70x5
+90x3 -> BWx8+6 (rest-pause) PR

Incline Bench Chest-Supported DB Row
90 2x15

EZBar Strictcurls
45,60,80x5
100x8,7

DB Hammercurls
50x10,8

Felt solid this morning; nearly 320lb pull-up was new territory. Want my abs and grip reasonably fresh for squats & deadlifts tomorrow, but wish I had thought to do some Meadows Rows. Need to start getting a plan written down for these days instead of deciding everything during the last 5 minutes of my warmup walk.

Still blowing yellow snarf, but things seem to be improving.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
9/13/21

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

GHR & Band Pullaparts
2x15 each

Squat
45x5
135,185,235,275,315,345,365x3
385,405x1

Sumo Deadlift, stiffbar
+Hookgrip
135,225,315x3
315 6x1 EMOM
335x2 double over, x1 over/under

Wish I had more time, but daddy duties called! Very happy with the control on 405, everything beltless still for now.

Yesterday was 3 weeks since last 120mg shot of EQ, so levels should be down to ~45mg/wk currently based on a 14 day half-life. Test E is still at 60mg Sun & Thursdays (120mg total). Been doing 250iu HCG, or 25mg sublingual DHEA tab, or 10mg Pregnenolone logenze almost every day lately to help drive estradiol up. Did some more reading on Tamoxifen, and it actually significantly improves lipids, and I needed something with all of this going so I’ve added a 15mg tab of that most nights. Feeling really good, and I’m fairly certain the extra estradiol and neurosteroids are responsible.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice work on the BW+90x3 PR for pull ups!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It felt heavy!
No doubt! I think that might be my PR for weighted pullups. I have done 115 for a 1 rep max and that was ridiculous!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You should look into getting a dip/pull up belt. I bet you could do it right now if you had one probably more than that. Not having to hold the weight with your knees allows you to redirect that saved energy and concentration to your pull. They are also great for strapping to a chain on a sled or something for pulling. I used mine to drag around my tire sled all the time. It's a cheap but awesome addition to a home gym.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Off-day. Pinned 400mg of glutathione IM and 200mg l-carnitine subq in right glute. The big glutathione shots really have been very restorative; definitely want to order more of that. The shots suck, it’s not that cheap, but dammit they work well.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
still sorta blows my mind how much less carnitine you have to take than me when you pin it.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You should look into getting a dip/pull up belt. I bet you could do it right now if you had one probably more than that. Not having to hold the weight with your knees allows you to redirect that saved energy and concentration to your pull. They are also great for strapping to a chain on a sled or something for pulling. I used mine to drag around my tire sled all the time. It's a cheap but awesome addition to a home gym.
Fine. You talked me into it. Nice sale! Lol.
Went with titan cuz they have my loyalty.

IMG_7507.JPG

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Fine. You talked me into it. Nice sale! Lol.
Went with titan cuz they have my loyalty.

View attachment 208423
Oh that is sexy! Mine is not that sexy or heavy duty, it is the softer woven fabric like a spudz dead lift belt material. I think I got it for like 24.99 at academy about 5-10 years ago, and that bad boy has gone all the way up to 4 plates for 3 reps on Dips!!!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
still sorta blows my mind how much less carnitine you have to take than me when you pin it.
If that is saddening, also consider that mine works better and only needs once a day administration too Honestly 4x a week is sufficient even, according to the ebook.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
If that is saddening, also consider that mine works better and only needs once a day administration too Honestly 4x a week is sufficient even, according to the ebook.
honestly it probably costs less in those dose sizes too, long term. I think mine is at around $25/month but if I take the amounts I should take orally it would be probably $50-75.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
honestly it probably costs less in those dose sizes too, long term. I think mine is at around $25/month but if I take the amounts I should take orally it would be probably $50-75.
$120 for a 100ml jug of 500mg/ml, and I do 200/day. That’s 250 days in a jug and 48 cents/day. $15 a month.

Keep an eye on Swanson tabs for when they are on sale for 40% off. 6x500mg tabs a day is a lot more manageable at those prices.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
9/15/21
BW 225.6

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks
Band Pullaparts & Tricep Pressdown

Bench
45,95,135,185,235x5
265x5,5,9

CG 2-Board
275 3x4

JM Press
95x12
115x10
135x8

Tate Press
30 2x20

Seated DB Laterals
30 2x15

Just some powerliftin’ stuff.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Guess who just got 3 pairs of used 25lb bumpers from our friend’s gym?? $180 for 150lbs of bumper, in the size we wanted. Now we have 4 pairs of quarters for farmers or overhead pressing with the log and axles. I am not going to need more than 200lb of bumpers overhead

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
New equipment is always exciting !!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Score! You won’t need over 200 lbs….. yet….
Haha my best overhead is a 263lb log. So right now I can load our women’s log to 275 with the bumpers only and our friends 12” men’s log is here and that would be 330lbs. So I’m basically good for a hot minute lol

I do have a long-standing goal of pressing 300 overhead. I am not really working on that until after I bench 400, and maybe not until after I finish a couple other powerlifting goals in general, but that time will come if I have anything to say about it!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hyde, I have faith in you!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
9/16/21
BW 226.2

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks
GHR

Pendlay Rows
45,95,145,195,245,295x5
245x12

Pull-ups
12,10,9,7+2

Lat Pulldown
121x20,16

Bumper 45 Plate Pinches
1 max hold/side

Cable Facepulls
99x12
110 2x10

Stir the Pot
2x17

EZBar Curls
50,70x10
90x8,9

Very happy with the weight of the Pendlay Rows, and the strength of my bracing with them.

Heading out tomorrow with the fam for a little strongman show this Saturday; my wife has been getting her training partners ready for it and it will be 2 of the 3’s very first competition. So we’re going to coach & cheer them on, which should be a good time!

Wife is down to 158.8lbs today, 20 days from weighins and 18lbs to go Clen was bumped to 50mcg a few days ago and we added SNS Lean Edge a few days just before that, which has gotten the scale moving some. Cardio also increased 1.5 weeks ago, but with my wife’s work schedule there isn’t much time to add any more and calories can’t really drop much lower for performance considerations (~1,400). Plan is to start 50mcg T3 tomorrow morning and probably bump to 75mcg quickly, depending on what the scale does this week. She’s been recomping very well, but at this point we just need to shred about 10lbs of scale weight off of her, fat or muscle.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Have fun at the competition and good luck to your wife!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Looking great here! Hope you’re finally feeling 100%!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
9/20/21
BW 226.0

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

Sandbag Load to 52”
137x1
175x1

SSB Boxsquat
60x8
vs Average bands
60,150x5
200 2x3
250 3x3
270 2x3

Shut it down. I’m just sick and I can’t fucking hang & I’m pissed about it. I tried to warm up for this last night when my wife was finally done training her events at 7:15 after having to work because we were gone for the show Saturday, but everything hurt & felt like ****. This morning I tried to push through but I just feel like there’s nothing in the tank. Going to take it easier this week.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
A little time off may do you good!!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hang in there. You didn’t leave anything on the table.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
9/20/21
BW 226.0

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

Sandbag Load to 52”
137x1
175x1

SSB Boxsquat
60x8
vs Average bands
60,150x5
200 2x3
250 3x3
270 2x3

Shut it down. I’m just sick and I can’t fucking hang & I’m pissed about it. I tried to warm up for this last night when my wife was finally done training her events at 7:15 after having to work because we were gone for the show Saturday, but everything hurt & felt like ****. This morning I tried to push through but I just feel like there’s nothing in the tank. Going to take it easier this week.
smart move

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sucks for you @Hyde, but hopefully you will recovery quickly. Not much more frustrating than giving it hell and just not being able to get traction or much pass the start line.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I appreciate all of the support! Just work and rest today, and I will either rest tomorrow or do a deload type session in the evening if I feel very good after work.

I need to remember to take my time just for my back health alone, so pacing things for the long game is imperative anyway.

Might be moving my training into a 10/20/Life Off-Season phase for a bit. It’s RPE-based so I can adjust the weights as I feel comfortable coming back to squats/pulls. I am toying with the idea of doing John Meadows/Dave Tate’s Unity powerbuilding program in a few weeks after vacation, but I am not sure I can commit to that kind of gym time and soreness right now. We’ll see!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I appreciate all of the support! Just work and rest today, and I will either rest tomorrow or do a deload type session in the evening if I feel very good after work.

I need to remember to take my time just for my back health alone, so pacing things for the long game is imperative anyway.

Might be moving my training into a 10/20/Life Off-Season phase for a bit. It’s RPE-based so I can adjust the weights as I feel comfortable coming back to squats/pulls. I am toying with the idea of doing John Meadows/Dave Tate’s Unity powerbuilding program in a few weeks after vacation, but I am not sure I can commit to that kind of gym time and soreness right now. We’ll see!
Interested in your 10/20/L experience.

The Meadows/Tate unity PB program is also RPE based, and it’s surprisingly repetitive as far as the lifts go. It would make for a great hybrid program to advance those specific lifts.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Googles 10/20/life off season - AH, this would be perfect for training while injured. Although I don't know that I have ever done an RPE6 that wasn't considered a warm up set. Curious as well how it will treat you. Seems pretty low in both volume and intensity which is great for recovery, just wonder what kind of progress will be made with such low volume, frequency and intensity. I guess the regular deloads are probably a big portion of the progress since you get to decondition a bit every couple weeks. Similar to HST type of plan.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Googles 10/20/life off season - AH, this would be perfect for training while injured. Although I don't know that I have ever done an RPE6 that wasn't considered a warm up set. Curious as well how it will treat you. Seems pretty low in both volume and intensity which is great for recovery, just wonder what kind of progress will be made with such low volume, frequency and intensity. I guess the regular deloads are probably a big portion of the progress since you get to decondition a bit every couple weeks. Similar to HST type of plan.
Brian addresses this in the book - this is just for the competitive lifts. And RPE will go up to 8.

You have to remember this isn’t a bodybuilding program. If you are doing a set of sissy squats, multiple sets of RPE 9 can be done weekly without much consequence besides some soreness. And certainly isolation movements can be handled this way. But going to even a single set of RPE9 on a competitive squat or deadlift can be so draining and damaging that it can not only be more than enough stimulus for progress, it can actually set your coming training back or even risk injury. So if you want to do multiple work sets in a session, it’s especially imperative you leave potential in the tank. I think that for something I can actually squat for 10 reps maximum, RPE10, I need to actually shut it down around 5-6 reps to get a solid training effect and still allow the ability to do all of the necessary accessory movements that build and address my foundation.

I was consistently finding when doing 5/3/1 again within the last year that I would have 2 good weeks of training and be feeling smashed up by the time I was entering week 3 - I was already ready for a deload. I think that it’s different when a lifter is either less experienced or weaker, but I have an entire decade of powerlifting under my belt at this point: the neurological recruitment and trauma I am able to potentially inflict on myself with the big lifts is so much greater than someone less qualified.

Even if you had a 20-year-old kid wayyyy stronger than me, he could push it to the limit all the time and probably get away with it fine. I remember lifting like that when I was that age, killing myself on 5x5 and the like. Because your wear and tear & neurological recruitment is so low. Even someone primarily bodybuilding won’t have the top end potential so they can handle heavier RPE if they occasionally do 5x5 or the like. Now, if I psyche up and bring myself to my maximum potential on a set of 10 reps in the squat, I will be on the floor afterwards and my heart rate will be elevated for over 20 minutes. Literally nothing else of consequence can be done in that session (or probably needs to, for that matter).

People always want to see more. They think they need to do X amount for optimal progress. Then what happens is they get on a program, do that for a while, then stop the program or get hurt, and total work comes down a lot anyway. It creates this illusion of doing so much for maximum ROI, but the net never ends up being better than just exactly what they can tolerate overall over the longterm.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah that makes total sense. I realize I have a big tendency to push myself over the top, on things so something like this might be ideal. At least ideal for now. Plus I just looked at a quick review with a very basic sample layout so don't have access to all of the details. I may have to look into this as an option, and more to the point as a safety buffer for my love of intensity.

Imagine if I actually trained injury free for a year again. Yeah so much more progress and work could get done.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Brian addresses this in the book - this is just for the competitive lifts. And RPE will go up to 8.

You have to remember this isn’t a bodybuilding program. If you are doing a set of sissy squats, multiple sets of RPE 9 can be done weekly without much consequence besides some soreness. And certainly isolation movements can be handled this way. But going to even a single set of RPE9 on a competitive squat or deadlift can be so draining and damaging that it can not only be more than enough stimulus for progress, it can actually set your coming training back or even risk injury. So if you want to do multiple work sets in a session, it’s especially imperative you leave potential in the tank. I think that for something I can actually squat for 10 reps maximum, RPE10, I need to actually shut it down around 5-6 reps to get a solid training effect and still allow the ability to do all of the necessary accessory movements that build and address my foundation.

I was consistently finding when doing 5/3/1 again within the last year that I would have 2 good weeks of training and be feeling smashed up by the time I was entering week 3 - I was already ready for a deload. I think that it’s different when a lifter is either less experienced or weaker, but I have an entire decade of powerlifting under my belt at this point: the neurological recruitment and trauma I am able to potentially inflict on myself with the big lifts is so much greater than someone less qualified.

Even if you had a 20-year-old kid wayyyy stronger than me, he could push it to the limit all the time and probably get away with it fine. I remember lifting like that when I was that age, killing myself on 5x5 and the like. Because your wear and tear & neurological recruitment is so low. Even someone primarily bodybuilding won’t have the top end potential so they can handle heavier RPE if they occasionally do 5x5 or the like. Now, if I psyche up and bring myself to my maximum potential on a set of 10 reps in the squat, I will be on the floor afterwards and my heart rate will be elevated for over 20 minutes. Literally nothing else of consequence can be done in that session (or probably needs to, for that matter).

People always want to see more. They think they need to do X amount for optimal progress. Then what happens is they get on a program, do that for a while, then stop the program or get hurt, and total work comes down a lot anyway. It creates this illusion of doing so much for maximum ROI, but the net never ends up being better than just exactly what they can tolerate overall over the longterm.
damn-some deep stuff right here!!!

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

I think I may need to buy this book…this whole breakdown really resonates

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Now, if I psyche up and bring myself to my maximum potential on a set of 10 reps in the squat, I will be on the floor afterwards and my heart rate will be elevated for over 20 minutes. Literally nothing else of consequence can be done in that session (or probably needs to, for that matter).

In the copies of the book/pdf I have, Wendler does sorta say this same thing. Even though he has lots of accessory options out there, he does more or less say walk in, kill yourself for 20 minutes, leave. I'm with you. If I'm truly training 5/3/1 at full capacity I'm smashed by week 3, and I haven't been able to carry more than 2 full cycles consistently without a reset.

Personally, I've grown to listen to my bodies natural pump. Glycogen stores resulting in a muscle pump in the gym for a mostly natty guy are gonna last what, 30-45 minutes? maybe 60 tops?

I knock out my 531, lately I have cut the big but boring 5x10 down to 3x10 but use that extra energy to super set it with something else or another accessory. But once I feel the pump fading, muscles getting flatter, glycogen depleting... I call it a day. move to LISS Or something.

I'm so used to absolutely trashing my body after 10 years of competing in xfit events that training for strength or BB feels honestly lazier, it's nice. its easier to make progress and less taxing.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah that makes total sense. I realize I have a big tendency to push myself over the top, on things so something like this might be ideal. At least ideal for now. Plus I just looked at a quick review with a very basic sample layout so don't have access to all of the details. I may have to look into this as an option, and more to the point as a safety buffer for my love of intensity.

Imagine if I actually trained injury free for a year again. Yeah so much more progress and work could get done.
Exactly. Many strength programs throw all the guns they can to ensure results, but that’s a short term reward. Look at the obsession with Smolov/Jr by less advanced lifters. That’s not how strong people train at all. It can definitely work in a context for a limited time, but it’s not longterm thinking and can’t function as a base philosophy.

I think I may need to buy this book…this whole breakdown really resonates
He basically says it’s not a program, so much as programming philosophy. It’s a good read overall. I think it would resonate alright with folks who have read 5/3/1, because there are a lot of similar principles.

Wendler’s is a bit more aggressive & general so it works better for a bit wider audience, while Carroll is coming more from a greater focus on powerlifting. I would use 5/3/1 for programming athletes, but 10/20 Life for someone trying to improve their total or just generally stay injury free.

In the copies of the book/pdf I have, Wendler does sorta say this same thing. Even though he has lots of accessory options out there, he does more or less say walk in, kill yourself for 20 minutes, leave. I'm with you. If I'm truly training 5/3/1 at full capacity I'm smashed by week 3, and I haven't been able to carry more than 2 full cycles consistently without a reset.

Personally, I've grown to listen to my bodies natural pump. Glycogen stores resulting in a muscle pump in the gym for a mostly natty guy are gonna last what, 30-45 minutes? maybe 60 tops?

I knock out my 531, lately I have cut the big but boring 5x10 down to 3x10 but use that extra energy to super set it with something else or another accessory. But once I feel the pump fading, muscles getting flatter, glycogen depleting... I call it a day. move to LISS Or something.

I'm so used to absolutely trashing my body after 10 years of competing in xfit events that training for strength or BB feels honestly lazier, it's nice. its easier to make progress and less taxing.
That’s CrossFit’s big draw though, isn’t it? Do stuff! Leave it all on the floor every time! You’ll never get better at anything beyond initial gains, but you won’t notice that because we scratch your training ADD itch! Shiny! Same as kids at the gym just maxing out on benchpress every day.

Top CrossFit athletes don’t train by doing WODs only - they do actual strength and skill work on top of WODs and other conditioning so they can actually progress their WOD times. Those athletes must have discipline, because that is what’s required to continue to progress.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Anyway, rested the last 2 days. Very little mucus hacked up today and it’s been on the decline. Pinned 200mg glutathione yesterday morning & today. Going to do a light deload session tonight, keep it fluffy, and another tomorrow morning, then rest thru the weekend to hopefully put the nail in this sickness coffin and get bloodwork Monday morning (16 weeks since blast).

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
That’s CrossFit’s big draw though, isn’t it? Do stuff! Leave it all on the floor every time! You’ll never get better at anything beyond initial gains, but you won’t notice that because we scratch your training ADD itch! Shiny! Same as kids at the gym just maxing out on benchpress every day.
oh absolutely, I used to call it CrossFit-Induced-A.D.D. lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
oh absolutely, I used to call it CrossFit-Induced-A.D.D. lol
It’s a great thing, getting barbells in people’s hands, exposing them to different lifts and exercises, a motivating way to exercise and have accountability to show up to compete against peers. BUT to get better at it eventually there has to be real training accompanying the general workouts. Matt Fraser didn’t snatch 315lbs without some side work!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
9/23/21
BW 224.8

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks
Band Pullaparts

Dynamic Bench
45x10
135x5
205 6x1

DB Laterals / Tate Press / Flyes Circuit
20/30/30x15
25/35/35 2x15

Axle Strictpress
45x15
95 3x15

alt w/ DB Hammercurls
35 3x15

Just what the doctor ordered! Very fast pace, light weights, good conditioning work & a fat pump to get everything woken up. This is essentially the definition of the “extra workout” fluff & buff day Carroll recommends in 10/20/Life for restoration and some extra upper body volume.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It is all part of the Big Picture!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
9/24/21

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

Dynamic Squat
45,95x5
145,195x3
245 5x1

Dynamic Sumo Deadlift, stiffbar
hookgrip
135,225x3
315 5x1 10 sec rests

Trapbar
315 2x15

Planned a few smaller accessories but the clock before work was getting tight and honestly the 15-rep sets on trapbar just wiped me out! Now 2 days of rest before bloodwork Monday morning, and hoping to resume semi-normal training next week, God willing!