Hyde’s Strength Odyssey

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You won't regret it. I'm super interested in their squat bar too, but the price haha
I pre-ordered that. It's a quality bar.

ETA: I see you meant the transformer. That thing looks dope, but I've not gotten one yet myself.

Last edited:
Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Eleiko is pricy, but it is damned good too if you feel like splurging.
ironically the one I tried was the eleiko (our local 24/7 gym is mostly eleiko bars and plates). You can feel the quality but for my garage gym even if I can afford it I’m not sure I’d do it 😂

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
236.x on Tuesday after low carb, lower cal, 8-hour feeding window on Monday.

232.8 on Wednesday after another day of the same.

228.8 today. Fasted yesterday on lots of water, salt, black coffee, green tea, ephedrine.

Today is day 2 of fasting as above. Planning on one more day tomorrow as well.

ECT (ephedrine/coffee/tea) stack FTW

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

228.8 today. Fasted yesterday on lots of water, salt, black coffee, green tea, ephedrine.

8Ib in 2 days....nice!

theswede

theswede

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

It’s going to be cool to see your weight once you wrap up the fast. Not to mention your observations on how you feel after the autophagy phase, cleaning all those cells up and what not.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
227.0 now this morning. Tried to add more sodium to yesterday’s water.

8Ib in 2 days....nice!
Shoot, I have dropped 15lbs in one day cutting weight for a meet. The scale is easy enough to manipulate if you know how to set it up - and are willing to suffer for a bit.

It’s going to be cool to see your weight once you wrap up the fast. Not to mention your observations on how you feel after the autophagy phase, cleaning all those cells up and what not.
I expect to rebound to 231-233 most likely. Goals were just to take advantage of the forced downtime to clean up the previous week’s dietary damage, reestablish discipline, & give the body a break (especially after having to deal with the little operation & the systemic disruption from antibiotics).

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
2/20/21 - Bench 3s
BW 226.4 (ended 83-hour fast)

Jumping Jacks, Hurdle Duck Unders, Squat Stretch, Band Facepulls, Band Pressdown, Band Rows
x2 rounds

Bench
45,95x10
135,185x5
225,255x3
285x6
315x1
335x1 in phoenix
225 5x5

Inverted Rows
3x10
alt w/ Overheard Band Tricep Extensions
Monster Miniband 3x15/arm

Pullaparts
Monster Miniband 2x20
alt w/ Push-ups

Took a walk with the fam last night and everything feeling good & healed fully from surgery. 3-day fast ended this morning; got a couple solid salty meals in before training and lots of periWO carbs. Didn’t feel particularly strong but there’s really no reason I should have - everything does feel pretty rested up though.

Spent a lot of time thinking/reading about training the last couple days and settled on some 5/3/1 Forever stuff. Will be using 3/5/1 undulating waves with the traditional PR set at the end, optional Joker singles, and the First Set Last protocol where you do 5x5 with the first work set’s weight after for some supplemental volume. This for all of the big 4 for now, and I’ll continue with EOD/8-day microcycle training for now and see how I recover. Training maxes are especially conservative on squat and dead for now.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
2/20/21 - Bench 3s
BW 226.4 (ended 83-hour fast)

Jumping Jacks, Hurdle Duck Unders, Squat Stretch, Band Facepulls, Band Pressdown, Band Rows
x2 rounds

Bench
45,95x10
135,185x5
225,255x3
285x6
315x1
335x1 in phoenix
225 5x5

Inverted Rows
3x10
alt w/ Overheard Band Tricep Extensions
Monster Miniband 3x15/arm

Pullaparts
Monster Miniband 2x20
alt w/ Push-ups

Took a walk with the fam last night and everything feeling good & healed fully from surgery. 3-day fast ended this morning; got a couple solid salty meals in before training and lots of periWO carbs. Didn’t feel particularly strong but there’s really no reason I should have - everything does feel pretty rested up though.

Spent a lot of time thinking/reading about training the last couple days and settled on some 5/3/1 Forever stuff. Will be using 3/5/1 undulating waves with the traditional PR set at the end, optional Joker singles, and the First Set Last protocol where you do 5x5 with the first work set’s weight after for some supplemental volume. This for all of the big 4 for now, and I’ll continue with EOD/8-day microcycle training for now and see how I recover. Training maxes are especially conservative on squat and dead for now.
Bro I was just going through all my templates and decided after a deload to do more volume and was looking into FSL, kinda wild to read this. Interested to see how you like it.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Strong benching !!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Bro I was just going through all my templates and decided after a deload to do more volume and was looking into FSL, kinda wild to read this. Interested to see how you like it.
So I have only read (and reread) the OG 5/3/1. Never beyond. But reading the most recent 5/3/1 Forever, it reinforced a ton of things I thought/suspected regarding the original. Things like not going to true failure even on AMRAPs, and that training max shouldn’t even remotely be correlated to a safe every day max - it’s literally just a number you decide on so when you plug it into the 5/3/1 percentage scheme you end up with loads that allow you to effectively TRAIN. And the stronger and more advanced you are, the lower percentage you need to work with to get better, both because you will be dealing with greater loads that will be required to recover from and because the difference between competitive max is so much greater than day to day abilities. And not all lifts will need to be programmed at the same % training max either. He also has emphasis on 3 day per week/9 day micros for more advanced guys being just as good or better - what’s best for you is what you respond best to.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
So I have only read (and reread) the OG 5/3/1. Never beyond. But reading the most recent 5/3/1 Forever, it reinforced a ton of things I thought/suspected regarding the original. Things like not going to true failure even on AMRAPs, and that training max shouldn’t even remotely be correlated to a safe every day max - it’s literally just a number you decide on so when you plug it into the 5/3/1 percentage scheme you end up with loads that allow you to effectively TRAIN. And the stronger and more advanced you are, the lower percentage you need to work with to get better, both because you will be dealing with greater loads that will be required to recover from and because the difference between competitive max is so much greater than day to day abilities. And not all lifts will need to be programmed at the same % training max either. He also has emphasis on 3 day per week/9 day micros for more advanced guys being just as good or better - what’s best for you is what you respond best to.
This makes a lot of sense. I was purely going on what I liked from the different templates in my app. What I decided On is a 3 day split

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
2/22/21 - Squat 3s
BW 230.4

Agile 8, Bird Dogs, Glute Bridges

Reverse Hypers
90 3x15 (last set at end of workout)

Squat
45 2x8
135,185x5
225,265,295,335x3
375,405x1
375x8 in belt
295 3x5

Band Stomps
Avg 2x30/leg

Lying Leg Raises
2x20

Last time I took the 12mg Ostarine was last Tuesday due to the fast Wednesday. Decided to just leave it out. Today I noticed significantly improved cardiovascular endurance through warmups and all of training - and I have been doing zero cardio. It’s the only thing I can think of that’s any different at all, so definitely done with that and sticking with my 75mg test e & 250iu HCG twice per week.

I also haven’t needed any AI since the cycle ended a month ago, and I have been using DIM instead. Normally I always have to use some Aromasin along with a SERM like Nolva to PCT and I think that has been great for my body to not be in the picture all the time now like it basically needed to be. Libido and function have been perfect since ending blast too; not overdriven like on cycle but everything just works great when I need it and isn’t distracting when I don’t. Feeling very good every day - even with a newborn.

Incredibly happy so far with the decision to cruise. Quality of life hasn’t been this great in a long time.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
2/22/21 - Squat 3s
BW 230.4

Reverse Hypers

Squat
45 2x8
135,185x5
225,265,295,335x3
375,405x1
375x8 in belt
295 3x5

Band Stomps
Avg 2x30/leg

Lying Leg Raises
2x20

Last time I took the 12mg Ostarine was last Tuesday due to the fast Wednesday. Decided to just leave it out. Today I noticed significantly improved cardiovascular endurance through warmups and all of training - and I have been doing zero cardio. It’s the only thing I can think of that’s any different at all, so definitely done with that and sticking with my 75mg test e & 250iu HCG twice per week.

I also haven’t needed any AI since the cycle ended a month ago, and I have been using DIM instead. Normally I always have to use some Aromasin along with a SERM like Nolva to PCT and I think that has been great for my body to not be in the picture all the time now like it basically needed to be. Libido and function have been perfect since ending blast too; not overdriven like on cycle but everything just works great when I need it and isn’t distracting when I don’t. Feeling very good every day - even with a newborn.

Incredibly happy so far with the decision to cruise. Quality of life hasn’t been this great in a long time.
Glad to hear the feels are good man.
It's amazing what a little test can do for you!

Last edited:
Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Quality of life is a very important thing !!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
2/24/21 - Press 3s
BW 229.4

Light Band Facepulls, Tri Pressdown, One-arm Rows
4x25

Axle Strictpress
155,175x3
195x5
215x1
155 3x8

BB Rows
45,135,185x8-12
235 3x8

Axle Tri Extensions
45x18,12
95x8,10,12

BB Cheat Curls
45x15
65,85,95,105,115x5 PR

Axle Reverse Curls
45,55,65,75x8

Overhead Plate Raises
45 2x15

Bodyweight trending down and strength is solid; no complaints here!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
New equipment is always exciting !!

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
2/22/21 - Squat 3s
BW 230.4

Reverse Hypers

Squat
45 2x8
135,185x5
225,265,295,335x3
375,405x1
375x8 in belt
295 3x5

Band Stomps
Avg 2x30/leg

Lying Leg Raises
2x20

I think the way test levels gradually drop (combined with work and life stuff) means you just don’t realise how you felt in your early 20’s compared to mid 30s or later: when you suddenly get taken back to that level it’s awesome, I love it as well bro.

glad your killing it in all ways my man

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
2/26/21 - Deadlift 3s
BW 230.4

Agile 8, Glute Bridges, Bird Dogs

Reverse Hyper
90 4x15 (2 sets at end of session)

Deadlift, stiffbar
135,225x5
275 2x3
325,375x3
+belt
415x10
455,485x1 with hold
-belt
325 5x5

RDL
225 3x12

Ab Wheel
2x15

Pulls felt terrific. Everything moved great and felt easy - just stopped the AMRAP at 10 reps arbitrarily. Quite certain I could pull 550 right now, at a minimum.

IMG_4546.JPG

^If this is your idea of a great Friday night, you’re my people.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would just break in half trying to pull like that !

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
2/28/21 - Bench 5s

Band Facepulls, Tri Pressdown, One-arm Rows
4x25/each

Bench
45x15
95x10
135,185,205,235,270x5
215 5x5

Inverted Rows
3x12
alt w/ DB Tate Press
35 3x15

Monster Miniband Pullaparts
alt w/ Push-ups
2x25 each

Easy session that went well this evening despite some fatigue from the day.

Helped out with a meet for the first time ever today - I was the head spotter on squats for a WUAP meet at a friend’s gym in town today, and one of the side spotters & loaders on bench and the back spot on women’s deads. Competed in & watched a lot of meets, but spotting was a different experience and a lot of fun: successfully caught & saved the top attempt of the day - last guy in multiply missed 848lbs at the very bottom!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
2/28/21 - Bench 5s

4x25/each

Bench
45x15
95x10
135,185,205,235,270x5
215 5x5

Inverted Rows
3x12
alt w/ DB Tate Press
35 3x15

Monster Miniband Pullaparts
alt w/ Push-ups
2x25 each

Easy session that went well this evening despite some fatigue from the day.

Helped out with a meet for the first time ever today - I was the head spotter on squats for a WUAP meet at a friend’s gym in town today, and one of the side spotters & loaders on bench and the back spot on women’s deads. Competed in & watched a lot of meets, but spotting was a different experience and a lot of fun: successfully caught & saved the top attempt of the day - last guy in multiply missed 848lbs at the very bottom!
848 what a beast! Nice work saving his a$$.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Spotting at a meet sounds like a lot of fun but also a big responsibility. Glad you had fun!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
3/2/21 - Squat 5s
BW 229.6

Reverse Hypers
90 4x15 (last 2 sets at end of workout)

Squat
45 2x8
135,185,235,275,315,355x5
275 5x5

Band Stomps
Avg 3x30/leg

Lying Leg Raises
2x20

Thinking about doing a USPA meet at 220lbs for fun in about 6.5 weeks on April 18th. I’d prefer one in May, but nothing else is really catching my eye within reasonable driving distance. l’m already light enough, been training at these approximate leverages for a minute, & in position to best all of my 220 meet numbers.

I have been off blast 5 weeks, so I would pull bloods at 8 weeks off to collect the data I want on the morning of the 22nd then immediately bump my test a little from 150/wk & add a bit of masteron for the month prior to ramp up neurology without adding bodyweight. Whenever I get results I can decide if I would like to add a mild DHT oral the last 3 weeks or keep my blood cleaner and go in on just a few hundred mg/wk.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sounds like you have a plan !!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The USPA meet form tricked me - it was only still up because there were still slots available for the women/small men day. The 90kg+ day was already full

There’s no meets within a 3 hour drive of here in April, but there’s a 4-hour away SPF meet mid May and 2.5 hour trip to an APF meet at the end of May I am looking at.

I would really like to do another meet at 220 and beat my old bests there before going back up in weight.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
The USPA meet form tricked me - it was only still up because there were still slots available for the women/small men day. The 90kg+ day was already full

There’s no meets within a 3 hour drive of here in April, but there’s a 4-hour away SPF meet mid May and 2.5 hour trip to an APF meet at the end of May I am looking at.

I would really like to do another meet at 220 and beat my old bests there before going back up in weight.
I think you're probably looking at the Harrisburg meet but the Pillar Strength Classic is at the gym I just joined. If you get a wild hair and make the drive for that let me know!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think you're probably looking at the Harrisburg meet but the Pillar Strength Classic is at the gym I just joined. If you get a wild hair and make the drive for that let me know!
Me Too. That's 20 miles from my house !

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, Harrisburg lol.

Pillar Strength is 8 hours from here, so I will not be going there. But David Shirley, the owner of Invictus Powerlifting really impressed me when he sold me my Phoenix slingshot at my last meet in July - a real OG powerlifter’s kinda powerlifter. His website is how you would sign up to compete. I would definitely go watch that meet if you aren’t in a position to do it yourself. SPF is known for extremely lax rules, but the experience is still great.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yeah, Harrisburg lol.

Pillar Strength is 8 hours from here, so I will not be going there. But David Shirley, the owner of Invictus Powerlifting really impressed me when he sold me my Phoenix slingshot at my last meet in July - a real OG powerlifter’s kinda powerlifter. His website is how you would sign up to compete. I would definitely go watch that meet if you aren’t in a position to do it yourself. SPF is known for extremely lax rules, but the experience is still great.
I'll be there either helping out or competing. Look forward to meeting Shirley.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm 20 miles from Harrisburg, PA. Opps ...........

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
3/4/21 - Press 5s
BW 228.4

Light Band Facepulls, Tri Pressdown, One-arm Rows
4x25

Axle Strictpress
45,95,145,165,185x5
145 3x5, 1x10

BB Rows
45,135,185x12
235 3x10

Axle Tri Extensions
45 2x15
75x12
95x10,12,12

Easy weights but heart rate kept zinging up and wasn’t recovering well at all between sets, which was exhausting. Took a lot just to knock this out, so bicep/forearm work will have to get done later this week. Also, the axle extensions are killing my right tricep tendon for 2 weeks in a row, so going to scrap those for something friendlier. Live to die another day.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I like how you went for 10 on your last set of 145, kinda like a burn out set.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I like how you went for 10 on your last set of 145, kinda like a burn out set.
Yeah, total volume ends up the the same and I can do it with reps in the tank still so I figure it’s good to maintain that comfort with higher reps. Plus it’s done faster

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
3/6/21 - Deadlift 5s
BW 227.4

Jigsaw,Agile 8, Bird Dogs

Reverse Hyper
90 3x15

Deadlift, stiffbar
135,225,295,345,395x5
+70 chain
395x1 +hold
295 5x5

RDL
245 3x10

Reverse Hyper
145 2x15

Ab Wheel
2x20

BB Cheat Curls
45x15
65,85,95,115,120x5 PR

Axle Reverse Curls
45,55,65,75,80x8 PR

DOH Axle Holds
225x2

First session with the garage door open this year - it was 52* around 1pm. Totally exhausted from doing the dad thing and almost pushed this to tomorrow, but I took the weather as a sign, dropped some ephedrine & bit the bullet. Totally dead now, but the session went well and made up my arm/grip work too.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have had some of my Best Workouts when at the beginning I didn't feel like doing them! Dig Deep and Succeed !!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
“Totally exhausted from doing the dad thing” - the feelz. I hope the little guy is thriving bud.

Way to get it in.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
“Totally exhausted from doing the dad thing” - the feelz. I hope the little guy is thriving bud.

Way to get it in.
He is growing awesome! Will be 2 months this Friday.

I really actually had decided to bag it. Still sore from rows, everything tight & achey late into the morning still, falling asleep leaning against the counter with my 3rd cup of coffee in my hand. Decided to go hit a few reverse hypers to try to loosen up and used the jigsaw on my calves/thighs - amazing how much vitality that restored!

The reverse hyper has continued to be one of the best gym investments ever. Like a jigsaw/massage gun, it does so much for me with very little time/energy invested.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
227.0 this morning after bathroom. Still leaning slowly! Been doing 30 min fasted cardio with the cycle on off days and eating more veggies & beans with my meals. Eating about 3,000 calories daily actually I believe of pretty clean eats.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
3/8/21 - Bench 531
BW 228.4

4x25/each

Bench
45x20
95,135x8
185,235x5
270x3
300,320x1
350x1 in phoenix
300x4
235 3x5, 1x10

Inverted Rows
3x14
alt w/ DB Tate Press
35 3x15

Will do some pullaparts & push-ups tomorrow as active recovery. I can tell between being off blast the last 6 weeks & dieting down another 6lbs since has probably taken about 10-15lbs off my max bench, which isn’t too bad in the big picture. I believe if I take my bodyweight up to ~270 later in the year I should be able to take on 400.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
How would you approach building that 400Ib bench?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
How would you approach building that 400Ib bench?
The same way I do now. Widen the base capacity/increase total poundage of work, then move to more 1RM-testing-specific peaking training to transmute the base of work into a new max.

Gain bodyfat/muscle/water/leverage while (and by) increasing the base of weights I am working with, and then trading that volume off for peak potential. The food and drugs are the materials and signaling that allow the size increase, when applied to the stimulus of training, that will let you be handling those bigger weights. You can only accomplish finite sets/reps in a timeframe based on recoverability, so progressive overload of weight still has to happen when you reach that max recoverable threshold of work sets.

Now this working weight doesn’t need to be nearly as high as some would have you believe! If you are technically proficient in the lift & neurologically efficient (ie, gotten good at heavier lifting) you would be amazed how well just ~70% of 1RM can be used to build new strength while practicing with weights you can actually move perfectly. You just have to already have the ability to handle things when they get heavy. If you have never practiced straining it won’t work - when it’s loaded up you have to have that ability to hang tight and stay confident.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The same way I do now. Widen the base capacity/increase total poundage of work, then move to more 1RM-testing-specific peaking training to transmute the base of work into a new max.

Gain bodyfat/muscle/water/leverage while (and by) increasing the base of weights I am working with, and then trading that volume off for peak potential. The food and drugs are the materials and signaling that allow the size increase, when applied to the stimulus of training, that will let you be handling those bigger weights. You can only accomplish finite sets/reps in a timeframe based on recoverability, so progressive overload of weight still has to happen when you reach that max recoverable threshold of work sets.

Now this working weight doesn’t need to be nearly as high as some would have you believe! If you are technically proficient in the lift & neurologically efficient (ie, gotten good at heavier lifting) you would be amazed how well just ~70% of 1RM can be used to build new strength while practicing with weights you can actually move perfectly. You just have to already have the ability to handle things when they get heavy. If you have never practiced straining it won’t work - when it’s loaded up you have to have that ability to hang tight and stay confident.

Would you break it down into distinct phases? Ie: base training, threshold training, specific strength training, or graduate towards strength objectives by adjusting rep/weight scheme on the fly based on set indicators (like rpe or speed)?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Would you break it down into distinct phases? Ie: base training, threshold training, specific strength training, or graduate towards strength objectives by adjusting rep/weight scheme on the fly based on set indicators (like rpe or speed)?
In some capacity I think there should always be a measure of periodization - even in a conjugate approach, this is necessary for optimal success. Westside, the Cube Method, Matt Wenning all layer block periodization over the rotation of efforts between maximal, technical & repetition work. When you get close to contest you will inherently accomplish less total work (whether comp lift specific or bodybuilding/accessory work) by virtue of having to handle heavier & more specific loads, and when further away you can & should do more general work.

5th Set has given me a lot of personal success, and that follows a general periodization where things get a little heavier over time with a wave loading approach, like 5/3/1, and as the blocks/mesocycles progress the mechanically similar movements/strength builders (things like closegrip bench or frontsquat after bench or squat) get more similar and move into higher weight/lower volume schemes as the blocks progress towards the peaking cycle.

Linear periodization on its own tends to be too simple as you advance, and as you get more advanced adding elements of auto regulation becomes key IMO, but the general philosophy of lighter/more volume moving to heavier/less remains universal as far as I can see.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I just lift thing up and put them done, but this is all very interesting !!

smallba

smallba

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Just read this entire log, took a couple weeks, but I got I done. Thanks for the motivation, much needed. Great work @Hyde and congrats on all the life achievements and growth. There some good info in here and along with some good laughs, keep going ✊

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
We definitely all learn something here !!