Hyde’s Strength Odyssey

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I genuinely hate that you did 3 sets of 14 on something. Not 12, not 15.....

Lower looking good. You’ll be back working in the 4s & 5s consistently in no time.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Lower looking good. You’ll be back working in the 4s & 5s consistently in no time.
Lol me too. But I did 3x12 two weeks ago, 3x13 last week, next week 3x15. Trying to add some extra volume on it over time easily.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

That's funny, I always go like 10, 12, 15. Hyde I'm glad to see things are going well for you, you are always so helpful to everyone else!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
1/31/21 - Bench
BW 232.8

Monster Miniband Pullaparts, Light Band Tri Pressdown & One-arm Rows
3x25/each

Reverse Hyper
90 2x10

CGBP
45,90x15
120 4x15

Bench
155,185,225,245x5
275x3
310,330,350x1 bodyweight PR
275x8

2-Boardpress
205 2x15

Seated DB Rear Delt Flyes
25 3x15

BOOM! Paused & pressed 350 in training with no peaking cycle, and certainly could have did 355 instead. Last time I pressed around this weight was Dec of 19 doing 352.7 in comp & weighing in at 242 but actually weighing ~255 & peaked. So hitting the same bench numbers while 20lbs lighter

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
1/31/21 - Bench
BW 232.8

3x25/each

Reverse Hyper
90 2x10

CGBP
45,90x15
120 4x15

Bench
155,185,225,245x5
275x3
310,330,350x1 bodyweight PR
275x8

2-Boardpress
205 2x15

Seated DB Rear Delt Flyes
25 3x15

BOOM! Paused & pressed 350 in training with no peaking cycle, and certainly could have did 355 instead. Last time I pressed around this weight was Dec of 19 doing 352.7 in comp & weighing in at 242 but actually weighing ~255 & peaked. So hitting the same bench numbers while 20lbs lighter
I almost just yelled “yes!” Out loud reading that bench pr. Haha Idk why I got so stoked. Anyway, that’s rad as hell and I’m super pumped for you.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It's a Happy Day !!! Congratulations !!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Bet you can press 350 any day of the week now haha

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
349 on a off day !!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
2/2/21 - Back & Bis
BW 231.8

Reverse Hyper
110 3x12

BB Rows
45,95,135,165x12
195,215,225x10

Reverse Hyper
110 2x12

Underhand Band Pulldown Warmup
2x12

Yoke Chins

Yoke Pull-ups

BB Cheatcurls
45x15
65,75,90,100x6
105x8

Axle Reverse Curls
45,55,65,70,75x8

DOH Axle Holds
225x2 holds to failure

Back feeling a better. Reverse hypers felt great and no pain on barbell rows. Did 30 min cardio yesterday and 45 Saturday. Starting to get that back in my routine for health and some restoration.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Back feeling a better. Reverse hypers felt great and no pain on barbell rows. Did 30 min cardio yesterday and 45 Saturday. Starting to get that back in my routine for health and some restoration.
Good to hear - Stay Healthy !!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
2/5/21 - OHP Deload
BW 231.2

Monster Miniband Pullaparts, Light Band Tri Pressdown & One-Arm Rows
3x25 each

Reverse Hyper
90 2x15

Axle CGBP
45,95x15
120 4x15

Axle Strictpress
45,95,120,140,160x5

Floorpress
135x8
225 3x5

Perfect Push-ups
4x15

One-arm Overhead Tri Extension
Monster Miniband 4x10

DB Laterals
20 2x20

Felt great but stuck to the deload plan - especially after benching heavy a few days ago, it’s important to give parts a break. Used the opportunity to move back to standing pressing and make sure it felt okay with light weights.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
2/5/21 - OHP Deload
BW 231.2

Monster Miniband Pullaparts, Light Band Tri Pressdown & One-Arm Rows
3x25 each

Reverse Hyper
90 2x15

Axle CGBP
45,95x15
120 4x15

Axle Strictpress
45,95,120,140,160x5

Floorpress
135x8
225 3x5

Perfect Push-ups
4x15

One-arm Overhead Tri Extension
Monster Miniband 4x10

DB Laterals
20 2x20

Felt great but stuck to the deload plan - especially after benching heavy a few days ago, it’s important to give parts a break. Used the opportunity to move back to standing pressing and make sure it felt okay with light weights.
I’m actually looking forward to an upcoming deload in a few weeks. I’m also a little jealous of you standing strict pressing.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The guy who encouraged me to do my first meet, he was about 250-255 at 6’ & pretty lean - he benched 500 at that meet & squat 650. He would do 225 for standing overhead for several fairly casual sets of 8 on his accessory day.

To this day, that’s always kinda been the standard I’ve been working towards.

I’m actually looking forward to an upcoming deload in a few weeks. I’m also a little jealous of you standing strict pressing.
Any time you’re heading through IL homie...it’s 16* here right now, but I have a gas heater I turn on in the garage that gets it up to low 50s by the end of the session. Hoodie and sweatpants over your gym clothes keeps it cozy enough!

theswede

theswede

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
The guy who encouraged me to do my first meet, he was about 250-255 at 6’ & pretty lean - he benched 500 at that meet & squat 650. He would do 225 for standing overhead for several fairly casual sets of 8 on his accessory day.

Any time you’re heading through IL homie...it’s 16* here right now, but I have a gas heater I turn on in the garage that gets it up to low 50s by the end of the session. Hoodie and sweatpants over your gym clothes keeps it cozy enough!
225 overhead is amazing! That’s just straight up brute strength!

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

I max at 225 ohp haha. Reps is incredible

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
2/6/21 - Lower
BW 231.8

Rolling, mashing, glute bridges, bird dogs, hip stretches, fire hydrants, bicep stretches, squats

Reverse Hyper
90 3x15

Squat
45 2x5
135x5
185,235x3
275,325,355,385,415x1
+belt
440,465x1
-belt
325x10

Deadlift
135x6
225x3
+over/under, 1 rep each grip:
225,275,325,365,395,415x2
+belt
445,475,500x2

Today was a blast. No back troubles and was able to get an idea where I am on a regular day. Squat double bodyweight and pulled over 5 plates no problem, could have certainly done at least 490 & 530, respectively. Nothing special, but a decent foundation to begin rebuilding off of!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
465lbs = Nice !

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

On 1/30 when I said this I certainly didn’t expect “no time” to be THIS quick! Lol! Nice man! Glad you’re back in the saddle and building.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
On 1/30 when I said this I certainly didn’t expect “no time” to be THIS quick! Lol! Nice man! Glad you’re back in the saddle and building.
Lol well I definitely won’t be “working” in the 4s and 5s yet, at least not for routine work, but I am indeed happy with where I’m at - I also realized I wasn’t pulling with the deadlift bar either, so that’s good for another 20lbs too I’m sure!

theswede

theswede

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Lol well I definitely won’t be “working” in the 4s and 5s yet, at least not for routine work, but I am indeed happy with where I’m at - I also realized I wasn’t pulling with the deadlift bar either, so that’s good for another 20lbs too I’m sure!
Amazing work man. I’m still trying to read through all 319 pages of your log....

question: will normal dudes just pulling 200-300 benefit from a deadlift bar? Or is it something you notice more when you start piling on 400+?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Amazing work man. I’m still trying to read through all 319 pages of your log....

question: will normal dudes just pulling 200-300 benefit from a deadlift bar? Or is it something you notice more when you start piling on 400+?
I would absolutely not bother with it if you aren’t pulling 400 even. That’s the point where you can really start to see the bend, and while it’s thinner and easier to grip no fairly normal adult male should struggle to hold 2-300...not with a mixed or hook grip, certainly. If they do, they just need to train more without straps. I never used straps until I could already pull nearly 600, and I have smaller hands.

I think I can get about 30lbs out of a deadlift bar.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would absolutely not bother with it if you aren’t pulling 400 even. That’s the point where you can really start to see the bend, and while it’s thinner and easier to grip no fairly normal adult male should struggle to hold 2-300...not with a mixed or hook grip, certainly. If they do, they just need to train more without straps. I never used straps until I could already pull nearly 600, and I have smaller hands.

I think I can get about 30lbs out of a deadlift bar.
I did not realize there was that much to gain from a bar, not that I could ever deadlift 400lbs

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I did not realize there was that much to gain from a bar, not that I could ever deadlift 400lbs
Depends on the lifter. Their leverages, their skill with the equipment, if grip is even an issue. I’d say it’s more of a percentage thing too. Like a 300lb deadlifter isn’t going to get anywhere close to 30lbs, and an inexperienced lifter who doesn’t take the slack out of the bar properly before initiating the pull is just going to jerk it and probably get thrown off at the start to little benefit.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Depends on the lifter. Their leverages, their skill with the equipment, if grip is even an issue. I’d say it’s more of a percentage thing too. Like a 300lb deadlifter isn’t going to get anywhere close to 30lbs, and an inexperienced lifter who doesn’t take the slack out of the bar properly before initiating the pull is just going to jerk it and probably get thrown off at the start to little benefit.
That makes sense !

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
2/8/21 - Bench Deload
BW 233.4

3x25/each

CGBP
45,95x15
120 4x15

Bench
165,195,225x5

CG 2-Boardpress
215 5x10

JM Press
135 3x8

alt w/ Seated DB Rear Delt Flyes
25 3x15

Glad it’s a deload session; life has been a little overwhelming & everything felt like it.

IMG_4457.JPG

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Reactions: ZOO
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
2/9/21 - Back, Bis, Grip
BW 232.4

Reverse Hyper (last 2 sets done after rows)
130 5x10

BB Rows
45,95,145,185x12
205x8
225x8,8,12

Underhand Band Pulldown Warmups
x2

Yoke Chins

Axle Cheatcurls
45x15
65,85x5
100 2x5

Axle Reverse Curls
45,55,65x8
75 2x8

Max Farmers Hold
200/hand x2

Progress on everything, biceps & forearms are pretty blasted. Getting my lat strength back slowly but surely. Curling with an axle is harder than I expected!

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
2/9/21 - Back, Bis, Grip
BW 232.4

Reverse Hyper (last 2 sets done after rows)
130 5x10

BB Rows
45,95,145,185x12
205x8
225x8,8,12

Underhand Band Pulldown Warmups
x2

Yoke Chins

Axle Cheatcurls
45x15
65,85x5
100 2x5

Axle Reverse Curls
45,55,65x8
75 2x8

Max Farmers Hold
200/hand x2

Progress on everything, biceps & forearms are pretty blasted. Getting my lat strength back slowly but surely. Curling with an axle is harder than I expected!
I’m going to try axle curls myself. Seems like a great total arm workout.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
An Axle Bar ? Is that just a Very Thick Bar ?
Yes, like they use often in strongman contests for clean & press or deadlift events. Definitely harder to use than a barbell - the weights are fixed because there’s no collars that can rotate like a barbell, and obviously the thickness makes a grip a concern as well as putting the load further out from your center of gravity.

Regarding curling though, it mainly just pushes the thumbs & forearms harder is all I noticed. But that’s good for grip development.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yes, like they use often in strongman contests for clean & press or deadlift events. Definitely harder to use than a barbell - the weights are fixed because there’s no collars that can rotate like a barbell, and obviously the thickness makes a grip a concern as well as putting the load further out from your center of gravity.

Regarding curling though, it mainly just pushes the thumbs & forearms harder is all I noticed. But that’s good for grip development.
Also, Theres no knurling

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

same principle as fat gripz for curls (does create more bicep activation according to the studies I’ve seen). Reverse curls or double overhand deads are insane for grip strength with an axle (plus if you have veiny forearms they pop like a mother).

personally I like pressing with an axel though, bit like a suicide grip and antidotally people with wrist issues seem to find it much better

zerchers were my favourite - but that could be because I’m a big pussy and a normal bar hurts my arms with any decent load on 😂

been reading back up (no idea why I got unsubscribed) - looks like strength is coming back on strong brother 💪

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Also, Theres no knurling
Definitely true. Not an issue for deadlifting with straps, but makes the Continental clean or squatting with it a biotch.

I forgot that in Canada they are big on Axle Squats in comps, and at WSM often as well. So you basically have to hold it hi bar.

same principle as fat gripz for curls (does create more bicep activation according to the studies I’ve seen). Reverse curls or double overhand deads are insane for grip strength with an axle (plus if you have veiny forearms they pop like a mother).

personally I like pressing with an axel though, bit like a suicide grip and antidotally people with wrist issues seem to find it much better

zerchers were my favourite - but that could be because I’m a big pussy and a normal bar hurts my arms with any decent load on

been reading back up (no idea why I got unsubscribed) - looks like strength is coming back on strong brother
Glad you’re back!! Yep to all of that. I mean Strictpress is definitely harder with an axle, but the push and jerk are much smoother - it’s the clean it will get you on there.

The grip program I have been doing has been having both reverse axle curls and doh holds and it definitely has been helping get things back.

Also unrelated, but this little gem came yesterday - couldn’t resist when I saw the concentration and the price. I have some oral of each I will pair it with in a later cycle. 75mg EACH of S23 & Rad per ml...and it’s in water actually according to the label, so this will probably sting like a motherlover:

IMG_4461.JPG

IMG_4462.JPG

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Definitely true. Not an issue for deadlifting with straps, but makes the Continental clean or squatting with it a biotch.

I forgot that in Canada they are big on Axle Squats in comps, and at WSM often as well. So you basically have to hold it hi bar.

Glad you’re back!! Yep to all of that. I mean Strictpress is definitely harder with an axle, but the push and jerk are much smoother - it’s the clean it will get you on there.

The grip program I have been doing has been having both reverse axle curls and doh holds and it definitely has been helping get things back.

Also unrelated, but this little gem came yesterday - couldn’t resist when I saw the concentration and the price. I have some oral of each I will pair it with in a later cycle. 75mg EACH of S23 & Rad per ml...and it’s in water actually according to the label, so this will probably sting like a motherlover:

View attachment 202288
View attachment 202289
I can only imagine what your war chest looks like