Strict JM Press
vs 170lb chain
45x8
65x6,4

Flared Elbow KB Rows
35x13,15,12

Light Band Facepulls
3x20

Got invited to train at the Ludus Magnus with Matt Wenning himself Sunday morning while we were in Columbus. I had missed my squat Friday evening, but when you get the opportunity to work in with an ATWR-holder that’s also a 600lb raw bencher, you show up and get in the bench rotation. Really awesome experience. His training partner Rob is a 560lb bencher and the 4 other guys in our group all seemed to be 3-400lb benchers as well. Gym was terrific, everyone was awesome & helpful, and Matt was more than willing to answer questions and teach, even after pressing a single @ 405+170lb chain. Everyone was constantly coaching each other.

At the end, Matt put his hand on my shoulder and told me, “Good job today, man. You can come back and train here with us any time.” Probably the most meaningful compliment related to lifting I’ve ever received.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nice PR. That’s a super cool experience and compliment to receive. Keep at it!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wow...thats fuckin awesome man. You’re a good dude so i cant say im surprised you were welcomed in the circle you found yourself in.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
He wouldn’t even charge me for training there, so I bought a t-shirt. Obviously my wife kicking ass was the highlight of the weekend, but aside from that training at Ludus Magnus made the experience.

03/09/20 - Wk 2, Squat
BW 242.3

Bird Dogs, Planks, Side Planks, Glute Bridges, TRX Rows, mashing, BSS
x2 rounds

Squat
45 2x5
135x5
225,295x3
345x2
380, 415, 415x1
315 4x3 w/ 90 sec rests

Not sure if it was the travel, a bit of a deficit, or squatting 3 days later than usual, but 415 almost stapled me, twice. The second was max effort for a single - what I was supposed to be hitting for triples then an AMRAP. Extra weird because I had been strong on bench Sunday morning and felt way better than usual warming up for squat.

Anyway, peeled the weight down & focused on CAT. Will get some more squatting in tomorrow morning. Think I need to lower the weight for now and focus on acquiring more quality volume at whatever weights I can actually work with properly.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Adjustments.JPG

New shirt is super comfy!

Realized the next day after weak squats both myself and wife have colds. Been sleeping 11 hours per night and avoiding training; ordered a kilo of glutamine (thanks again @MrKleen73) and some extra Vit C. Added in 600mg Ashwaganda nightly and C is bumped back up to 4.5g daily, split. Probably will bump Zinc back up too.

Sometimes, you PR everything and other times you get sick off and on for 4 months...

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sometimes, you PR everything and other times you get sick off and on for 4 months...
Bruh, I feel this.

My dual ply sleeves should be in soon, pumped (ordered a size down for "comp" fit) I may order the triple ply for funsies as well, yanno to get a taste of what wrapping is kinda like lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Bruh, I feel this.

My dual ply sleeves should be in soon, pumped (ordered a size down for "comp" fit) I may order the triple ply for funsies as well, yanno to get a taste of what wrapping is kinda like lol
Plot twist: you wear the looser triples over the tighter duals and execute the heaviest high squat of your life

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Happy to help and what an awesome experience! Good on you for getting in there and getting it done! Hope you feel better.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Happy to help and what an awesome experience! Good on you for getting in there and getting it done! Hope you feel better.
Thank you. Continuing to skip training and staying home resting getting tons of sleep. Sneezed about 5,000 times yesterday and had the cold achey/weakness, but feeling much stronger this morning already! Hoping to train Sunday or Monday 🤞

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
03/15/20 - Wk2, Squat
BW 245.8

Bird Dogs, Planks, Side Planks, Glute Bridges
X2

Squat
45,135x5
225,275,325x3
365 2x3
375 2x3, 1x6

Beltless Frontsquat
45,135,185,205,225x8

GHR
4-5x12

Man did it feel good to get some proper training in, back at our gym! Autoregulated the weight used, and left one in the tank on the AMRAP, but it all still felt & moved pretty well. Even with a Bronkaid I was sucking some wind and deconditioned to train, but I feel pretty healthy and like my strength is returned.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
03/16/20 - Wk2, OHP 5’s

Facepulls, Tri Pressdown, Hammercurls, NG Pulldowns circuit
50/50/20/90 2x25

BB Strictpress
45,95,115,130,150x5
170x7 +2 pushpress

NG Incline DB Bench
30x15
70x28,24

BB Skullcrushers
45x15
65x10
85 2x18

One-Arm Cable Tri Pressdown
35 2x25/arm overhand, then underhand

Miniband Pullaparts
4x35

Definitely weakened from the cold; endurance was piss poor and power a bit low too, but pleased with this work given that context.

Adjustments.JPG

My wife doesn’t always squat to depth, but when she does it’s a lifetime PR of 315 and she buries that motherf*cker!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
03/18/20 - Wk3, Deadlift

Bird Dogs, Planks, Side Planks, Glute Bridges, TRX Fatman Rows, Sled Pushes
x2

Rackpulls from Pin C, 15.75” bar height
135x5
225x3
315x1
+hookgrip
385,435,485,535,585x1
+straps
605x miss, got stuck on neoprene shorts
355x12 dead, 20 touch ‘n go

McGill Pull-Ups, 10-20 seconds rest
BW x1,2,3,4,4,3,3,3,2,2,2,1,1,1

Backwards Sled Drags
+90 X2 down and back

EZbar Curls
50x15
60x12

Still roasted from Sunday’s squats. Could tell my body just wasn’t ready - even tweaked my left adductor just trying to slowly get down to the ground for bird dogs! But I have to fly tomorrow morning to Orlando to install some routers and won’t be back til Saturday evening hopefully, so put the warm pants on and got some pin work in.

Basically the entire workout my heart rate was super high and I was totally exhausted after the set of 12 on rackpulls, but I managed what I could. Still pissed I didn’t think to roll my shorts up for 605, it was mine!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Got back from Orlando yesterday early evening, after driving 1,100 miles in less than 24 hours. Nothing but drivethrus and gas station food was open due to the virus Thursday-Sunday while traveling, so that’s about how I feel right now lol. Still, could be much worse & I think I avoided the Kung Flu for now!

03/23/20 - Wk3, Bench
BW 247.4

Cable Tri Pressdown, Facepulls, DB Hammercurls, NG Pulldowns circuit
50/50/20/100 3x25 each

Bench
45,95,135x5
185x3
225x2
265x1
285x1,2
235 6x6 barely

CGBP
vs 1 chain/side
185x6,5,6

Chin-ups
10 jump+negatives

285 was near-maximal. Felt like I could have only done 300 today. The last time I properly benchpressed was 20 days ago. Between traveling 3 times for work & the Arnold in the last 5 weeks, getting sick, & generally not getting all of my accessories done when I did make it in, I have to face facts: I’ve lost some gains. It probably doesn’t help that I have been off cycle for 15 weeks now either and am not about to get back on with coronavirus launching in my county.

I do think 5th Set is a great program that works - if you follow it. As it stands, I have not accomplished the requisite volume/frequency to adequately maintain my muscle, and I think I will need to put some extra work in to get things built back up. Going to try to hit the gym more often and focus on completing a bit more compound volume with less weight.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like a solid plan!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Any recommendations for where to get cheap squat stands? Been thinking more and more about some for the back porch. Then I just need a barbell, bench and some plates to squat or press without leaving the house.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Any recommendations for where to get cheap squat stands? Been thinking more and more about some for the back porch. Then I just need a barbell, bench and some plates to squat or press without leaving the house.
I think you'll have a hard time getting anything from a company right now. A lot of them have halted online orders to get their **** together. Rogue is now producing ventilators even lol Get RXd had cheap stands but they're out of stock. Titan has some squat stands on backorder I've seen.

Dick's sells some half-racks for a decent price. You could probably have it shipped for free to your local Dick's (because if it's not from Amazon or Titan, you're gonna eat a dick with shipping). Dick's stores closed but they're doing curbside pickup still.

I said dick's a lot.

Dicks.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ive got nothing better than that response lol. I saw Rogue was producing vents...pretty fuggin cool.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Titan has stands that will arrive at my doorstep in 3 weeks, but they’re $294 shipped before any discount codes. It has all positive reviews and looks sturdy & stable unlike the eBay stuff, and I like that they are 2-piece and truly portable, which is mandatory, but sucks they’re nearly the price of a used rack.

I can get a new set of 455lbs of Olympic plates and a cheap weightlifting bar delivered from Body Solid in the Chicago area for about $700.

Used stuff obviously isn’t really on the market right now, but I just want this to sit on my back porch under a tarp basically. It will get rusty quickly, so it doesn’t need to be new or nice at all - it won’t stay that way . Maybe I should ask my wife about all of this first lol.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah getting the wife's buy in is a good idea. Definitely worth having something, but yeah that is pretty expensive too.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
3/24/20 - Home Exercise
BW 245.4

40 min or so of bird dogs, glute bridges, pushups, light curls, lateral raises, rear delt flyes. Just got the heart rate up for a bit and got everything loose & burning some for a bit of extra work.

3/25/20 - Wk3, Squat

Bird Dogs, Planks, Side Planks, Glute Bridges, TRX Fatman Rows, 60ft Sled Pushes circuit
x2 rounds

Squat
45 2x5
135,225,275,315,355x3
380 5x3, 1x5

Beltless Frontsquat
135,185,195,205,215,225,235x5

GHR
5x13

BB Calf Raises
135 5x10

Good training today; felt like I made some solid progress.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
3/26/20 - Wk3, Back
BW 242.8

Backwards Sled Drags
Sorinex +90 x600ft

Pulldowns
60,90,120x12
150 2x20

Bentover Rows
135,185x8
235 5x5 short rests

One-Arm DB Rows
120 2x15/arm

BB Shrugs
245, 295x15

Back Extensions
+25 2x20

Wife wanted to hit her pulls a day early so went in and was able to put a bit more energy into my back work.

Bought a used Rogue YK1 yoke for the back porch this morning, exactly like @jswain34. Gonna get that picked up this weekend hopefully, and order some plates soon. Need to ask my gym owner if he wants to sell a barbell, otherwise I’ll order that too. Will need a bench as well, and eventually safety arms before too long. But I have officially committed!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sweet, you will have a good little set up in no time!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hell yah, bro! Thats awesome. Not surprised Jess was game for it, you guys will both use the **** out of anything you buy. I recon my next purchase should be a barbell as well. But id like to have a covered space to store all this stuff before I really go all in lol.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hell yah, bro! Thats awesome. Not surprised Jess was game for it, you guys will both use the **** out of anything you buy. I recon my next purchase should be a barbell as well. But id like to have a covered space to store all this stuff before I really go all in lol.
The initial plan was to leave the yoke/bench on the smooth concrete back porch under a tarp, and store the plates and barbell inside in the living room for security reasons. Or eventually get a weatherproof storage cabinet to padlock.

However, wife is suggesting we keep it all in the living room and just rearrange furniture! I never would have expected her to suggest it, but I’m stoked! No tarp hassle, no dragging plates outside, weight storage on the actual yoke feet, no weather to battle, plus A/C & heat - yeah buddy!

Will probably throw some stall mat or wood on the carpet under it so I have safer traction. Deadlifts can probably be done off blocks or mats in the grass outside now too on decent days, and I can choke bands to the crossbar for accessories now too in the house. And this all is reasonable to store/transport whenever we move - no rack to disassemble.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The initial plan was to leave the yoke/bench on the smooth concrete back porch under a tarp, and store the plates and barbell inside in the living room for security reasons. Or eventually get a weatherproof storage cabinet to padlock.

However, wife is suggesting we keep it all in the living room and just rearrange furniture! I never would have expected her to suggest it, but I’m stoked! No tarp hassle, no dragging plates outside, weight storage on the actual yoke feet, no weather to battle, plus A/C & heat - yeah buddy!

Will probably throw some stall mat or wood on the carpet under it so I have safer traction. Deadlifts can probably be done off blocks or mats in the grass outside now too on decent days, and I can choke bands to the crossbar for accessories now too in the house. And this all is reasonable to store/transport whenever we move - no rack to disassemble.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lol, wow. Taking after Jim with a living room gym! That absolutely makes things easier. You can even load sandbags over the yoke while watching TV! I know for a fact I could never get brooke to go along with something like that, but ya know what I think I quite fancy the idea of having everything in a garage or shed - a place separate from the house that I can go and just be in my own little world and train.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Lol, wow. Taking after Jim with a living room gym! That absolutely makes things easier. You can even load sandbags over the yoke while watching TV! I know for a fact I could never get brooke to go along with something like that, but ya know what I think I quite fancy the idea of having everything in a garage or shed - a place separate from the house that I can go and just be in my own little world and train.
Yeah I like going to the garage cranking up my music and getting really into it. Can really get in the zone sometimes with no distractions, just motivating music and a lot of intensity and laser focus comes in. However if I could have the wife killing it next to me motivating me like he will... then being inside sounds pretty amazing too!!!!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There was an old strongman group that used to train out of a storage unit down here. Those are cheap enough that it might make sense for you to just do that.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
There was an old strongman group that used to train out of a storage unit down here. Those are cheap enough that it might make sense for you to just do that.
This is what I always wanted to do here since we have one on premise that comes with the apartment, but unfortunately it’s full of crap I’ll never be able to convince the girls to part with.

Definitely would be cool to have a separate space - I intend to whenever we eventually buy a house somewhere, maybe a tent or shed out back, but this will be cool for now!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
03/27/20 - Wk3, OHP 3’s
BW 242.8

Monstermini Band Pullaparts
4x30

ss w/ One-Arm Overhand Cable Tri Pressdown
35 2x25/arm

Strictpress
45 3x10
95,125x5
140,160x3
180x3, 2+1+1 rest pause

Pushpress
180x5, 4

Feet-up Widegrip Bench
85,135,175,185,195x8

BB Skullcrushers
45x12
65x10
85x20, 14+2+2+2 rest pause

One-Arm Underhand Cable Tri Ext
30 2x25/arm

Felt super weak on OHP, so did some extra singles and a little pushing. Decided that if all of my barbell pressing has significantly weakened over time even while my 30-rep incline Db work has continuously improved, that movement at that rep range is not an effective builder or investment of my energy. Tried something new; definitely liked it better.

Gym owner sold me 6x45lb York plates and a barbell for only $300. Actually only wanted 280, but I gave him extra because it was still an incredible deal. What a hookup! With the smaller plates we have in our storage already, I believe we’ll have enough to load the bar to 475+

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nice score, man.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
03/27/20 - Wk3, OHP 3’s
BW 242.8

Monstermini Band Pullaparts
4x30

ss w/ One-Arm Overhand Cable Tri Pressdown
35 2x25/arm

Strictpress
45 3x10
95,125x5
140,160x3
180x3, 2+1+1 rest pause

Pushpress
180x5, 4

Feet-up Widegrip Bench
85,135,175,185,195x8

BB Skullcrushers
45x12
65x10
85x20, 14+2+2+2 rest pause

One-Arm Underhand Cable Tri Ext
30 2x25/arm

Felt super weak on OHP, so did some extra singles and a little pushing. Decided that if all of my barbell pressing has significantly weakened over time even while my 30-rep incline Db work has continuously improved, that movement at that rep range is not an effective builder or investment of my energy. Tried something new; definitely liked it better.

Gym owner sold me 6x45lb York plates and a barbell for only $300. Actually only wanted 280, but I gave him extra because it was still an incredible deal. What a hookup! With the smaller plates we have in our storage already, I believe we’ll have enough to load the bar to 475+
What type of Yorks? The ones I have?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Damn. Completely missed that they were York plates even. Even better!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What type of Yorks? The ones I have?
IMG_3453.JPG

York Olympic Standard Barbell

Turns out we don’t have 25s and only one 35, which makes it useless. Currently can load the bar to 375, but working on sourcing a pair of 25s shortly and eventually a second 35, which would take us to 425 max and any weight we like up to that, then eventually 495.

Just ordered some J-cups on eBay and trying to get a fixed bench sourced in the next few days. I know the Titan spotter arms won’t fit right so I will need to get the Rogue ones eventually.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Lemme buy them from you when your gym reopens.
Oh no, this was a classic US Govt move on my part - taking advantage of the panic to slip a new policy in place, then people get used to it and it becomes an institution

I have wanted home equipment forever, just never had the space to store it aesthetically. But if you know me at all, aesthetics aren’t really a priority Totally cool with a living room rack for now.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

That is fucking epic. Had to battle with mine to set up in the carport!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh no, this was a classic US Govt move on my part - taking advantage of the panic to slip a new policy in place, then people get used to it and it becomes an institution

I have wanted home equipment forever, just never had the space to store it aesthetically. But if you know me at all, aesthetics aren’t really a priority Totally cool with a living room rack for now.
Yeah, but if I buy those from you at market rate $1/lb, you can then use it to buy more plates on Craigslist at $0.60/lb.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice score on the equipment.

Your wife is a keeper!

Liking the variety in your lifting sessions. Nice job.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
03/29/20 - Extra session

Hammercurls, Rear Delt Flyes, Band Tri Pressdown, Band Chest Press circuit
15s for first 2, dual monsterminibands for the others
2x25

Floorpress
45,95,135,185,225,245,250,255x5

CG Floorpress
185,190,195x8

BB Curls
55,65x12
75x10
85x8

First time using the home setup. Pretty awesome

03/30/20 - Wk4, Deadlift
BW 240.4

Bird Dogs, Planks, Side Planks, Glute Bridges, TRX Fatman Rows
x2

Deadlift
135x5
225x3
315,365x1
+hookgrip
415x1
465 4x3
505x3 just felt like it

Rackpulls below knee
360 2x12

Sumo 4.5” Blockpulls
360 2x10

Pretty demolished by the end of this. Not sure how much longer I’ll be coming to the gym with the virus heating up in my county, so added a little extra weight for my last triple - still felt pretty easy, like I could have done 6. Did sheer all my skin off both thumbs of course - it’s always the last set that gets ya!

Brought my chains home (~130lbs) for extra weight as well as our foam crash pads. Want to grab our axle for OHP or deadlifts outside, then I’ll be in business. Also scored a pair of non-matching rusty 25s for $25 from the guy who sold me the yoke, a weight tree for $20 from our gym owner, and another gym owner lent me an adjustable bench for the duration of lockdown! All I need eventually is safeties, and a maybe a pair of bumper 45s & 25s.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Man what an awesome string of events and equipment grabs. Happy for you @Hyde!

I really need to invest in some chains. They would come in really handy while working through injuries where heavier weight at depth is an issue. Will definitely make a nice addition to what you have going on at home already.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Man what an awesome string of events and equipment grabs. Happy for you @Hyde!

I really need to invest in some chains. They would come in really handy while working through injuries where heavier weight at depth is an issue. Will definitely make a nice addition to what you have going on at home already.
Been very fortunate in such a stressful time!

Up to 425lbs including the barbell now, 460 if I use the single 35 we have and mismatch plates to balance it! So with the chain I should be set for now. They’ll also be useful for weighted chin-ups or particular accessories like flies.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
04/01/20 - Wk4, Bench
BW 240.2

Cable Facepulls, Cable Tri Pressdown, NG Pulldowns, EZbar Reverse Curls circuit
50/50/105/30 2x25 each

Bench
45,95,135x5
185x3
225x2
255,275,290x1
240 6x6

May not look like much, but this was legitimately max effort - 290 was brutal & the wife had to heavily assist my final rep of my last set. I was cashed out after this.

Diet definitely seems to be tanking performance, but it was already lousy so whatever. I’m lifting hard AF mentally so not much else can be done about that.