Hyde’s Strength Odyssey

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
45 min on bike done. Bought loading food for tomorrow, and bags are packed for the show Saturday!
Eat up and go put on a show brother! Let us know how it goes...feel free to go the extra mile and upload a video or two .

Hammy feeling ready to go? Whats the order of the events?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Eat up and go put on a show brother! Let us know how it goes...feel free to go the extra mile and upload a video or two .

Hammy feeling ready to go? Whats the order of the events?
7,000 calories and I feel good about it. Typical loading food choices for me, nothing new or risky.

Hammy hasn’t made a peep so I am feeling good about it. I don’t know the event order for sure or if they will run two at once, but the events listed are:

365 Deadlift for reps, up & down commands

185 Axle Clean once & Press away, down commands

500 Yoke 50ft down & back

205 Farmer’s 50ft down & back

200 Sandbag Load over 54” Bar

I think it’s going to be a great day!!!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hope things went well today brother. Events & weights look like it should’ve been a fun comp.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
~How the show actually went down (all events 60 sec time limit)~

365 Deadlift for reps, strap in on the clock, up & down commands:
-20 reps, tied for 3rd (2 guys pulled 21)

180 Sandbag over 54” Bar, ducking under bar to load from the other side every rep:
-8 reps, 4-way tie for 5th (picked the 9th rep but timed out just before loading it)

185 Axle Clean once, press away, down commands:
-11 reps in 55 sec, 9th in this event (nearly blacked out after the clean but I just kept breathing and zoned in)

500 Yoke, 50ft down & back, no drops allowed except the turnaround, no warmups
-26.31 seconds, took 8th

205 Farmer’s Walk, 60ft down & back, unlimited drops, no warmups
-21.60 seconds, took 6th

Final Placing: 7th out of 16 with 52 points in Novice Men

Great day. Hamstring stayed together without issue and no injuries, and I came in top half of the pack. Lots of great people, nobody hurt seriously, show ran very well in about 4.5 hours from start of first event. The points were very tight between 4th-7th. If I had moved ~1.5 seconds faster on yoke OR had 1.5 seconds more to load the 9th sandbag, I would have been 5th, and doing both I would have been 4th. First place had a clear victory though with 75.5 points, and if I had been just a bit better conditioned for every single event there’s still no way I could have placed higher than 2nd based on everyone’s numbers, so I am happy.

I am honestly proud of the strides I made in such a small time and with the hammy setback. I had PR deadlift & every single event I did as good or better than my best in training. I have never really been able to work for a full minute like this, so I would say I definitely broke a conditioning PR as well.

Wife had a great time judging the women. With her busy with that all day, I didn’t get any pics or videos, but if I can get some from the photographer or other people I will share them!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome day man! Go grays on placing in the top half!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Awesome dude! Sounds like a lot of fun! And congrats on the PR!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Good work man. Im especially glad you got out injury free.

365x20 and 185x11 aint no joke. Thats yak city for me.

Theres a ton of room for time leaks when loading bags in that manner...were you training them like that leading up to the show?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good work man. Im especially glad you got out injury free.

365x20 and 185x11 aint no joke. Thats yak city for me.

Theres a ton of room for time leaks when loading bags in that manner...were you training them like that leading up to the show?
I trained it like that a couple times & a couple times to the loading wall. I had very quick stable transitions under the yoke at the show - I have found I do well keeping one hand on the crossbar while I pull myself under and pivot on my foot around the bag on the other side. And I don’t have to lap the bag at this weight: I quickly row it, catch it on my chest, and continue triple-extending to release.

Where the time would have been made was being more conditioned - if I had just a bit more gas, I would not have slowed down the last few reps. That’s the difference in finishing that last rep. 1-2 guys got 10, and a couple got 9. 4 of us got 8, so you can see the difference that extra endurance would have offered. It also didn’t help that we began these right after the deadlift. That was the only event I didn’t feel recovered going into, sandbag.

The hamstring pull definitely cost me a lot the way it derailed my training. I had to stop training and cardio largely for almost a week, and could not longer do any HIIT. Plus only one 90% event session a week out. But it is what it is.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yesterday would have been squats/legs but just didn’t really have the motivation to lift yet only 2nd day after the show, so I rested. Same today, other than a couple sets of reverse hyper.

Laid out the foundation for upcoming training block and I am pretty excited for it:

Mon - Squat/legs

Wed - Bench/push

Thurs - Deadlift/pull

Sat - Press/grip/events

The squat, bench, & deadlift will have waved programming (Cube, 5/3/1, & a scheme from Clint Darden, respectively) while pressing will be either a linear or step-wave progression. Looking to get back to some logpressing, and will be doing some farmers walks or any other event work I like that day as well. This will also let me train with my wife some during the work week at the commercial gym she rejoined (machines are getting better and better for now the more pregnant she gets).

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Some great work and sounds like a good comp, and lots of fun for you. Good to see you still killing it.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Layout of the block looks good & fun. For the last few workouts I’ve been staring at my log that’s sitting in the corner of my garage...I’m wanting to get back to using that baby too. Need to get some bumper plates or crash pads first unless I just do rack presses again. Just something fun about log pressing...

Anyway, looking forward to seeing where this block takes you my guy.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Layout of the block looks good & fun. For the last few workouts I’ve been staring at my log that’s sitting in the corner of my garage...I’m wanting to get back to using that baby too. Need to get some bumper plates or crash pads first unless I just do rack presses again. Just something fun about log pressing...

Anyway, looking forward to seeing where this block takes you my guy.
If you can get an old tire or two to drop onto that works great as well. The Titan red drop pads are great, but like $140.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you can get an old tire or two to drop onto that works great as well. The Titan red drop pads are great, but like $140.
Tires work for me, thanks for the tip.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
10/07/20 - Wk1, Bench
BW 250.2

Monster Miniband Facepulls, Tri Pressdowns, Rows
3x25 each, constant circuit

Band stretches

Bench
45,95,135x10
185,225x5
250x10

Axle High Incline Bench
135x15
155x12
175x9
185,190x7

Axle Skullcrushers
45x20
70,80x15
85x11+20 closegrip pump presses

Reverse Hyper
90x20

5’s week for the 5/3/1 bench, which felt kinda awkward & heavy. Honestly everything seemed a little weak, but I got some good work in so NO RAGRETS

IMG_4027.JPG

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You’ve been elevating the top of the xbar above the top of the side polls lately too...the y2 or y3 yoke would be nice since itd give you the option to have it that high but have both anchor pins in there. That’s legitimately my only “con” about owning one of these as a rack.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You’ve been elevating the top of the xbar above the top of the side polls lately too...the y2 or y3 yoke would be nice since itd give you the option to have it that high but have both anchor pins in there. That’s legitimately my only “con” about owning one of these as a rack.
Oh I actually don’t have any more pins; I bought it how you see it (sans jcups too). We’ve never used 2 pins a side on yoke so I would say it’s a non-issue for stability.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
10/08/20 - Wk1, Deadlift

Foam roll, fire hydrants, mountain climbers, hip stretch

Squat
45,135,185x5
235x3
285 5x5

Deadlift, deadlift bar
135,225,315x3
+hookgrip
385x1
420x2

Dynamic Deadlift, 30 sec rests
315 8x3

Circuit (4 rounds of 5 reps each):
Pull-ups
GHR
205 Barbell Rows
205 Box Sumo Deadlift

Nice to be able to hit the GHR again. Took it very easy with them but I think they will be helpful in rebuilding my hamstring strength. Box Sumo however was garbage. Got absolutely nothing out of that, so I won’t be trying those again.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I like the box sumos for higher reps & finishing every 3rd rep - thats how the elitefts article I read recommended doing them. I could see why you didnt think they did diddly doing them light for 5 reps. Maybe give them one more shot in that fashion and let me know what you think one way or the other. Or dont, lol.

Heres Casey Williams’ article: https://www.elitefts.com/coaching-logs/chair-deadlifts-am-i-doing-these-right/

Heres another article that talks about the standing up every 3rd rep:

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I like the box sumos for higher reps & finishing every 3rd rep - thats how the elitefts article I read recommended doing them. I could see why you didnt think they did diddly doing them light for 5 reps. Maybe give them one more shot in that fashion and let me know what you think one way or the other. Or dont, lol.

Heres Casey Williams’ article: https://www.elitefts.com/coaching-logs/chair-deadlifts-am-i-doing-these-right/

Heres another article that talks about the standing up every 3rd rep:

I actually did 6 reps, standing every 3rd, but I was too lazy to type extra.

Thanks for the reading, J - I was sitting too far back, which was screwing with the bar path and cheese-grating my legs. I don’t think I will add any real weight (yet) because I think it’s supposed to be done lighter and I obviously need to figure it out still. Plus we know my lateral hamstrings are particularly fragile, so I want to strengthen them without testing them for now.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
10/07/20 - Wk1, Bench
BW 250.2

Monster Miniband Facepulls, Tri Pressdowns, Rows
3x25 each, constant circuit

Band stretches

Bench
45,95,135x10
185,225x5
250x10

Axle High Incline Bench
135x15
155x12
175x9
185,190x7

Axle Skullcrushers
45x20
70,80x15
85x11+20 closegrip pump presses

Reverse Hyper
90x20

5’s week for the 5/3/1 bench, which felt kinda awkward & heavy. Honestly everything seemed a little weak, but I got some good work in so NO RAGRETS

View attachment 198464
Does your axle weigh 45lb? Mine is only like 25lb I think. I ask because I wish I had one that weighed what my power bar does

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Does your axle weigh 45lb? Mine is only like 25lb I think. I ask because I wish I had one that weighed what my power bar does
Yes, it’s a Samson Strong axle. Rogue makes a 25lb one they have at warehouse gym we go to and we had a guy from an old gym we knew make a pink 25lb axle we keep there as well. Ironmind’s Apollon’s axle is heavier and so is the Bartos model - they are often 60-80lbs empty in the open shows.

Best bet is to just find someone to fabricate one up for you on the cheap.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Bought a new glucometer, test strips, and lances on a solid sale at CVS. Going to try to start getting more useful information on my diet. I know how I feel when I feel pretty good in training, energy-wise, but I need to figure out what that looks like as a number so I can then see what food combos put me there and for how long.

This is directly how Nathan Payton programs his athletes’ periWO/comp nutrition and I feel like it could be beneficial in continuing to refine mine.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thats pretty neat that he goes that in depth with his recs. Does he have a number that will give an “optimal” result for most people or is it based on data collection then making recs based on how the individual feels at a given #?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thats pretty neat that he goes that in depth with his recs. Does he have a number that will give an “optimal” result for most people or is it based on data collection then making recs based on how the individual feels at a given #?
He didn’t give a number and said the plan is always 100% tailored to the individual. Great podcast:

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
10/11/20 - Wk1, OHP
BW 249.2

Agile...6?
Arm Swings, Band Shoulder Stretches
PVC Shoulder Dislocates, PVC Snatches

10” Log Strictpress, one-motion first rep
72 2x8
92,112,132,152,157,162,167x8

Underhand Pulldown
120,150x12

Chin-ups
2x8, 3x7

ss w/ Low Incline DB Press
50,60,70,75,85,95x10

Felt great coming back to the log; found my groove immediately. Doesn’t seem to bug my shoulder the way the axle and barbell kinda do at lockout. Didn’t use any equipment or even chalk & just focused on laying a foundation for the weeks ahead.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
10/12/20 - Wk2, Squat

Reverse Hyper
90x20

Agile 8

Squat
45 3x5
135,185,235,275x5
+belt
315,325,335x10

Legpress
3,4,5,6,7 plates x15

GHR
3x7

Bleh. Leg day sucks. Back wasn’t feeling good at 275 so put the belt on and had no further issues. Working back into the GHR carefully.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I assume this was at the commercial gym with Jess? Also, have you seen the new scout RH from Rogue? Thing looks absolutely ideal for a garage gym.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I assume this was at the commercial gym with Jess? Also, have you seen the new scout RH from Rogue? Thing looks absolutely ideal for a garage gym.
Yeah the Golds Express you came to train at, Crunch Fitness bought it out as a temp location while they are finishing a new facility around here. So all the same equipment is there for now, including the EFS GHR.

Yeah I thought it was neat it can fold up, but I watched a very unbiased YouTube review and it lifts off the ground every rep - that would drive me nuts, and prevents loading it with anything more than prehab weight.

I would say if you absolutely don’t have the room to leave one set up somewhere it’s a great option. For folks in an apartment small apartment maybe. But if you can make a permanent space, I am absolutely in love with my Titan economy h-pnd. Solid as a rock, very affordable, it just works. Better than the multi-hinge expensive ones I’ve used too. And the convenience of it being set up is critical to the ease of use. I just jump on as I walk out the garage before I go to the gym, or when we get back from a long drive.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks for that info. I hadn’t fully researched it yet but the little bit I had seen hadnt mentioned that at all.

If it comes down to having a permanently set up GHR vs a permanently set up RH I’ll be going GHR but if I have room (and funds) for both then ill be betting the titan one. It sucks the combo RH + GHRs (eg. Rogue Donkey) are like 2k. The space thats saved with a combo unit aint worth an extra 8-1200$.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
My abs are smoked. It’s too soon to have DOMS from squats this morning, I wore a belt, & squats never give me sore abs - this is from logpress yesterday! Which also explains why my back was hurting today without a belt; my abs were shot and not stabilizing my core sufficiently.

So if you hate ab training, just train the log

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
10/14/20 - Wk2, Bench
BW 250.4

Cable Facepulls, Tri Ext, One-Arm Rows
50 3x25 each, non-stop circuit

Bench
45x10,5
95,135,185x5
210,240x3
270x6+1 assist

Incline Bench
145x12
165x10
185x8
210x6
225x5

Swissbar Skullcrushers
25,45,65x10
85 2x15

Bench was clicking pretty good, but everything just felt a little heavy today, which is alright. Good day in the books.

Also, took my final 2mg shot of TB500 yesterday. I never resumed Mk677 after the show to keep a handle on my prolactin.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Going w/ a 3/5/1 layout from Beyond im guessing?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Going w/ a 3/5/1 layout from Beyond im guessing?
No sir, last week was 5’s week and this week was 3’s for Bench. I think I wrote down 255 for 5+ last week, but only did 250 because it felt heavy coming back to Bench. This week 270, next is 290 for 1+

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
No sir, last week was 5’s week and this week was 3’s for Bench. I think I wrote down 255 for 5+ last week, but only did 250 because it felt heavy coming back to Bench. This week 270, next is 290 for 1+
Jeez. Somehow I missed “week 2” as the heading. Yesterday was a long day lol. Carry on.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
10/15/20 - Wk2, Deadlift
BW 249.2

Reverse Hyper
90 3x10

Agile 8

Jumps in place
2x3

Deadlift, Tex deadlift bar
135x5
225,315x3
+hookgrip
365x1
+belt
415x1
450x2

Dynamic Deadlift
320 6x3, 30 sec rests

Done in rotation but resting as needed:
Pull-ups 4x6
GHR 4x7
BB Rows 225x5,6,7,8
KB Swings 44 3x15

Tried the Sumo Chair deadlift but I feel like my low back is too fragile for it atm and I really don’t need it at all; the point is to pick accessories you can build on so I brought some glute work into the fold.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So I believe my blood sugar is effected by “the Dawn Effect”; my blood sugar is consistently about 10pts higher when I wake at my normal time (97-99) and an hour or so later it’s down to 88-90 fasted. Several hours after a meal it will be 90 later in the day. So this is all fine, but a bit weird.

Also, blood pressure this morning was 116/72 with pulse of 66.

Overall, doing pretty good for 248.2lbs.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
There’s also the samogyi effect where you go hypo while you sleep and then theres an excessive rebound of glucose in the morning. Only way to tell would be to take your blood sugar at some point in the middle of the night to early morning (2-3am). If you’re hypo - its samogyi. If you’re not, then its just from +/- normal AM hormone secretion (GH, cort) & catelcholamine release. Most people will have a higher BS in the AM than the rest of the day due to this anyway.

Both of these are more common in diabetics, especially samogyi as the patient’s insulin injection is what causes the overnight hypo episode 99% of the time.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
There’s also the samogyi effect where you go hypo while you sleep and then theres an excessive rebound of glucose in the morning. Only way to tell would be to take your blood sugar at some point in the middle of the night to early morning (2-3am). If you’re hypo - its samogyi. If you’re not, then its just from +/- normal AM hormone secretion (GH, cort) & catelcholamine release. Most people will have a higher BS in the AM than the rest of the day due to this anyway.

Both of these are more common in diabetics, especially samogyi as the patient’s insulin injection is what causes the overnight hypo episode 99% of the time.
Great info. I have never felt hypo waking up to pee in the middle of the night at all (and I have gone hypo during some brutal training) but it would be neat to check if I can remember when I wake up.

My mom’s mom is diabetic, and my dad’s dad was, but his was from alcoholism. Nobody else has been, not even my dad who was 300+lbs for almost 4 decades and still isn’t - still obese at 70 years old. So that gives me hope that diabetes isn’t really going to be an issue for me. I’ve also been at ~90 fasted glucose since I started getting bloods at 21, even being older and much heavier.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
10/17/20 - Wk2, OHP

Heel-Toe Walks

Agile 8

Band Shoulder Stretches, Facepulls, PVC dislocations & snatches

10” Log Strictpress, one-motion first rep
72,92,112,132,152,172,177,182x6
+belt, wraps, chalk
187x5 (started to black out)

Axle Clean once & Pushjerk
25,75,115,165,185,195,205x3

Cable Tri Pressdowns
70x100 total reps

Cable Facepulls
70x100 total reps

Good day, moved onto 6’s for strict log. 187 one-motion was the best one, but just kinda ran out of air finishing rep 5. Also touching the axle to keep a handle on that technique.

Doing a Christmas charity contest on Dec 12 that is max log, axle, floor deadlift, 18” deadlift, & Farmer’s hold. Focus right now is slowly cutting down, but using that show to help keep my training structured. I don’t have any hard number goals; just trying to use the show as a guide towards progression.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That’s a pretty demanding show man, damn. Static strength all day there. Keep your lumbar feeling freshly and your prehab up going into that one.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That’s a pretty demanding show man, damn. Static strength all day there. Keep your lumbar feeling freshly and your prehab up going into that one.
It’ll just be for fun, and you can basically pick what events you even want to do. So if I don’t want to do one of the deadlifts or presses, no biggie. I am not doing a long peak or worried about lifetime bests - just going to take what’s there on the day.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
10/19/20 - Wk3, Squat
BW 248.6

Agile 8

Squat
+warm pants
45,135x5
225,275,325,365x3
+sleeves
385x3
+belt
405,425,445x3

Trapbar Hi-handles
245,295,345x10

Reverse Hyper
90 4x10

Traveled yesterday for baby shower with family, so I slept this morning and skipped the gym for an evening garage session. Layered up and stayed pretty warm. Everything with squats was just clicking from the get-go so I was able to work with confidence. Felt like I probably could have jumped one more time to 465 if I had to, but this was training not testing.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
10/21/20 - Wk3, Bench
BW 250.2

Cable Facepulls, Tri Pressdown, One-Arm Rows
50 3x25

Bench
45x10
95,135,185,225x5
255x3
280x1
290x4

Incline Bench
135x8
185x6
215 4x6

Swissbar Rolling Tri Ext
45,75x10
85 2x18

Seated DB Shoulder Press
45x25,20

Low Cable Flies
30x20

Good day of benching - felt stronger than last week, especially on incline work.

Deadlift tomorrow night then rest for bloodwork Monday morning. November 1st it’s time to start recomping!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Whats the plan?
Well, we know we don’t want more children after my son is born, so I feel better now about playing with some 19-Nors (regardless of their greater HPTA impact).

I have been looking at some Dienelone Enanthate I have been planning on using with a replacement dose of test to minimize sides. 400mg Dien E & 150-200 Test E pinned for 10 weeks. Could add 100mg Masteron E and/or orals to add if decide to.

I have this max out contest 6 weeks into the cycle, but the overall goal is to cut/recomp to set me up better for next year with regards to strength/bodyweight. Don’t really want to be this fat.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I should probably mention that I am not super concerned with the absolute numbers I hit at the comp or setting lifetime bests for the sake of it - what matters to me is preserving my current muscle/base strength while stripping bodyfat. So this isn’t an all gas-no brakes scenario, and I would like to remain healthier longer so I probably won’t use orals the first part of the cycle. While they would improve my contest performance, they actually will likely increase odds of injury since I’ll already be in a deficit, which would be entirely counterproductive.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
10/22/20 - Wk3, Deadlift
BW 249.2

Agile 8

Deadlift, Ohio Deadlift Bar
135,245x5
335x3
+hookgrip
385,435x1
+belt
480x2

Dynamic Deadlift
335 4x3

Accessories done as a circuit with unlimited rest for 5 total rounds:

Yoke Pull-ups
5x7

BB RDLS
225 5x8

BB Rows
225x7,8,9,8,7

Reverse Hyper
90 5x10

28wk sonogram with the wife this morning so trained in garage after work - randomly got up to 79* today, so it was probably the last truly warm garage session for the year. Everything from the very beginning took a lot of effort, and I wanted to quit every step of the way, but I hung on through every set and persevered in the end.

Baby is growing healthy, and I got a little harder to kill today. A good day indeed!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Off training like usual on Friday and then as well yesterday and today to let my body get right for bloodwork tomorrow morning before work. This also serves as a mini deload which is never a bad thing. Plan is to get my dynamic squatting followed by overhead press in tomorrow night.

Cycle will begin next Sunday, the 1st!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
10/26/20 - Wk4, Squat & OHP
BW 248.0

Reverse Hyper
90 3x10

Agile 8
Band Stretches & PVC Shoulder Dislocates

Dynamic Squat
45,135,225x5
275x3
+sleeves
315 6x3

10” Log Strictpress (one-motion 1st rep)
72,92,112,132,152,172x5
+gear
192x5
197x3
202x1+1 clean
132x12

Blood drawn this morning. Had to drive for a long day of work today and got this in tonight. Not really all that I wanted to accomplish, but what I had in the tank. Never one-motioned 202 though so that was kinda cool though!