Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/23/18

No belt on anything today, just rolling back into training. Sinus fatigue was brutal.

Hi Bar Squat
45,135,225,295x5
345 3x5

Dynamic Deadlift stiff bar
225,315x3
365x8 singles in 5 minutes

GHR
2x12
vs Light band
3x8

D-Handle Pulldowns
185,210,230x8

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/24/18

Rear Delt Db Flyes
15s 2x20
20s 2x20

Hammercurls
15,20,25,30s x20

Logpress
126,146x5
166,188x3
+equipment
208x3
211x1 missed 2nd
188x4

Bench
225x5
245 3x5
+3board
275x3
+2bd
275x2

Seated Db Press
50x20
60x12

Log is getting easier. Learning the technique slowly but surely.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/25/18

Frame Hold
400 - 42 seconds

Zercher Yoke Carries 100ft

Yoke

Exergenie Harness Truck Pull
4 runs up thru 1 rotation+4 notches
(No idea of weight)

Atlas Stone Load to 52” box
118,150x3
180x4
215x3,4

Training for a local comp at end of April. I’m pretty terrible at stones so I needed to start back with them. The last set of 215x4 was easily the best and fastest, with plenty left in the tank even taking the stones down myself off the box every rep. I think all the frontsquat lately has really set me up for success going into this training cycle.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Zercher yokes sound like they’d light your core, upper body and PC up!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hey howd i miss this one? Im in!
Welcome to the show!

Zercher yokes sound like they’d light your core, upper body and PC up!
They mainly just make your arms ache and question how you are going to stay conscious with all of the weight bearing down on your diaphragm. This is the closest thing to a Conan’s Wheel I’ve found.

This was the face I made the last time I did Conan’s Wheel:

IMG_0659.jpg

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Conan is a ****ty event. Doesn't even look cool for spectators. Zercher Yoke is the best way to train it, though.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Awesome work Hyde!

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Catching up... great pics at the beach, see you're right back to the great lifts!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Catching up... great pics at the beach, see you're right back to the great lifts!
Man it was a blast. I definitely can appreciate more why JR would live in FL, despite the humidity and the hurricanes.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/27/18

Frontsquat
45,135,225,305x5

Hi Bar
^ same as FS
355x5,1,4,2,3 in 11 minutes

Dynamic Deadlift on Stiff Bar
225x5
315x3
375x8 singles, then 2x3, all in 8 minutes

GHR
1x12
vs Light Band
3x10

D-Handle Pulldowns
100,150,190,210,230x8

Added weight, volume & some frontsquat to what I did last Friday. Hit a timed reversing squat ladder to get my 15 reps in as opposed to a standard 3x5.

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Man it was a blast. I definitely can appreciate more why JR would live in FL, despite the humidity and the hurricanes.
Ya my trip there last year with my daughter was fantastic. Could definitely see being a 'snow bird' one day.

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
02/27/18

Added weight, volume & some frontsquat to what I did last Friday. Hit a timed reversing squat ladder to get my 15 reps in as opposed to a standard 3x5.
Nice lifts!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Agreed, that's some nice work and i like the timed stuff too!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Agreed, that's some nice work and i like the timed stuff too!
Builds a little work capacity and mental toughness. Got the timed reversing ladder (10,1,9,2,8,3 etc) from Josh Bryant. He likes it for volume work on deadlift sometimes and when I’ve experimented with it on pulling it was very efficient (albeit brutal).

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/28/18

Rear Delt DB Flyes, Hammercurls, Med Ball Presses

Logpress
126,156,178,188,198x3
208x2,1,1 cluster over ~minute
213xMISS
213x2

Bench
45,95,135,185,225x5
250 3x5

Dips
BW 3x12

Very hard session tonight - the kind where you can choose to go home early or to just get better. I feel blessed for the opportunity to pursue the latter.

Also, traps looking on point in this 213 log clean:

IMG_1519871922.061133.jpg

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/28/18

Rear Delt DB Flyes, Hammercurls, Med Ball Presses

Logpress
126,156,178,188,198x3
208x2,1,1 cluster over ~minute
213xMISS
213x2

Bench
45,95,135,185,225x5
250 3x5

Dips
BW 3x12

Very hard session tonight - the kind where you can choose to go home early or to just get better. I feel blessed for the opportunity to pursue the latter.

Also, traps looking on point in this 213 log clean:

View attachment 160989
^^^ This!!!! First thing I noticed before I even saw that comment was damn look at that yoke on him now. Beasting out my man!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
^^^ This!!!! First thing I noticed before I even saw that comment was damn look at that yoke on him now. Beasting out my man!
Lol you know how it is - perfect pic from the perfect angle. Stuck out to me scrolling thru a vid analyzing my technique.

My gf took a candid pic of me last night on the couch and I was like, damn I look fat and soft

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Lol you know how it is - perfect pic from the perfect angle. Stuck out to me scrolling thru a vid analyzing my technique.

My gf took a candid pic of me last night on the couch and I was like, damn I look fat and soft
Oh yeah, I get frustrated sometimes when I see a pic and am like Damn... not quite where I thought it was... You are gonna be shocked though when you get a little leaner how much your physique has changed. YOu don't even look like the same guy size wise.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Hey do you guys have advice on how to find a powerlifting meet to compete in? I want to do one late this year or maybe next year

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hey do you guys have advice on how to find a powerlifting meet to compete in? I want to do one late this year or maybe next year
Go to powerliftingwatch.com and look for meets near you. The USPA has a good presence in IL so I just go to the USPA website and find a meet semi-close to me, but PL Watch isn’t federation specific so that will yield more options.

Don’t do an unsanctioned gym meet. Those are called fun test days with your buddies, and don’t simulate the pressure you will feel traveling to a foreign place to lift in an under-equipped hotel conference room with people you’ve never met and judges that don’t know you or care about giving you gifts - or the adrenaline that will provide.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
03/02/18

Yoke 40-50ft

Zercher Yoke Carry 100ft

Frame Hold
420 41.7 seconds

Exergenie Truck Harness
4 speed runs

Stones 52-54”
105,150,180x3
215x5
235x4 in 40 seconds

Stones are getting easier. Got this session in Friday before leaving for the Arnold.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Left 2am Saturday morning to drive to the Arnold, got home by 9:30 last night. Very fun, third year in a row but first year with the gf not competing so I was able to just enjoy the competition for a change.

This was the 2nd year they had a Pro Strongwoman show and as she competed the first year she was bummed not to have qualified again - but the men’s Pro Show only has 10 as well and those guys rarely get to go 2 years in a row so it’s very tough to get back. Neither a current WSM Eddie Hall nor Big Z were even present this year, for example.

8/10 guys pulled at least 400kg, 7 pulled 900+, and 3 guys went over 1,000. Straps allowed but no suits. Hafthor hit 1,041 lbs. Kristin Rhodes cleaned & pressed a 265lb log and Donna Moore loaded a 324 stone with no tacky...twice. Both the men’s and women’s Pro was fantastic. Ray Williams squatted 1,067 drug-tested in knee sleeves and a belt.

A training partner competed in the Amateur World Championships in the Middleweight 231 class for his first Arnold ever and took 2nd out of like 30 guys...he was short of 1st by less than 1 second on his Atlas Stone series.

Him on the left loading the 380 smooth stone of steel with no tacky:
IMG_1143.jpg

Saw a lot of great people, lots of tremendous lifting, and a very fun weekend altogether.

Last edited:
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like a great weekend! So, who won the actual Arnold Classic or did you even pay any attention to any of those guys?

I can really see how Strongman, Crossfit and Calisthenics comps and stuff are growing so quickly. I am getting to the point I want to be doing something, or showing what I can do, more than what I have built. Part of the reason I am looking at the body weight stuff right now. That and I have some imbalances I need to try and fix that proper calisthenics training should really help to correct. I probably won't ever give up weights totally but I am finding more and more things that interest me in doing them, and trying to become good at them.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like a great weekend! So, who won the actual Arnold Classic or did you even pay any attention to any of those guys?
It was a blast. No idea on the bodybuilding - you have to pay a ton to go watch that.

Or you could just spend $15/day to watch the Amateur Strongman championships, the disabled strongman worlds, the Pro Strongmen & women, the Reebok Recordbreakers events, the CrossFit & Spartan comps, the USA Weightlifting, high level geared and raw powerlifting, the Animal Cage, etc. That’s where the excitement is as a spectator.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
03/05/18

Axle Seated Military
125x8
145x8,6,8

Axle Pushpress (Out of Rack)
165x3
185x5
195x3+2
200x4+1

Axle Curls
45x20
65 2x10

Just extra work trying to not be such a weenie

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It was a blast. No idea on the bodybuilding - you have to pay a ton to go watch that.

Or you could just spend $15/day to watch the Amateur Strongman championships, the disabled strongman worlds, the Pro Strongmen & women, the Reebok Recordbreakers events, the CrossFit & Spartan comps, the USA Weightlifting, high level geared and raw powerlifting, the Animal Cage, etc. That’s where the excitement is as a spectator.
Yeah that makes much more sense. It's funny, I asked but I really don't care. I would probably care more about the Classic Physique Olympia at this point anyway. The big guys are impressive and freaky but nothing I find that interesting. I as mentioned before am more into the "show me what you can do with it" stuff now.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
03/06/18
Morning

Frontsquat
275x5
315 2x3

Hi Bar
275,315x5

Evening

Deadlift on deadlift bar
155,245x5
335,405x2
475,505,525x1

D-handle Lat Pulldown
100,150,195,215,235x8

GHR
vs Light Band
3x8
1x10

Absolutely did not have it yesterday morning and left without doing hi bar work - I had to psyche up for 315 I felt so dead. So to be able to come in after work and pull 525 in the worst case scenario having not trained deadlift seriously in eons was encouraging.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice work, good you didn't push low bar you were obviously fatigued. Nice pull for being tired and working just from muscle memory.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I haven’t squat low bar in a year probably.
Oops misread that, I saw the hi bar listed in the workout and figured it must have been lowbar you decided not to do.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
03/08/18

Morning

Rear Delt Flyes

Dynamic Effort Frontsquat
235 8x2 EMOM

Logpress (1 strict, 1 push press, then push jerk)
126,158,178x3
188 3x4 no gear

Bench
255x5,5,3

Evening

Chins
+25lbs
5x5

Dips
+25lbs
4x10

Standing Calves
60 4x12

Chest Supported Row
135,160x12
185x6

Alt Db Curls
35 2x12

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Really liking your layout and the looks of your training right now man. When is that local comp you recently mentioned? I think I saw you say there were stones involved...have fun lol.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Really liking your layout and the looks of your training right now man. When is that local comp you recently mentioned? I think I saw you say there were stones involved...have fun lol.
His workouts look so fun don't they!

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
#teamEMOM

Lesssss goooo

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It’s 1 lower day focusing on frontsquat/hi bar/dynamic deadlift, 1 upper focusing on log/bench, and 1 that is weighted carries/grip/loading. I would like to add more pressing & pulling as I can.

04/28 in a town about 40 minutes away, they hold it on a blocked-off stretch of their Main St annually.

Here’s the events and Men’s weights:

IMG_1121.jpg

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
03/10/18

Yoke
60ft each way
60ft one way
620 PR

Zercher Yoke Carry
460 PR
480 PR

Frame Hold
380 54 seconds PR

Exergenie Harness Pull
1 warmup, 2 tough runs

Stones ~53”
150,180,215,235x4
240x5 in 50 seconds PR

IMG_1520736040.915288.jpg

Discovered the frame was 140 when we weighed it, not 200, but still held 20lbs more than last week for 12 more seconds! Also stones are definitely progressing.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Congrats on all the PR's Hyde!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I remember you doing that comp last year too. I think you're stronger now, or at least more skilled in the events without a doubt. You going open or novice?

Good work on the PRs ma dude. Youre finally passed your injuries it seems...dont go fuggin something up!!!! Take care of those biceps on stones.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I remember you doing that comp last year too. I think you're stronger now, or at least more skilled in the events without a doubt. You going open or novice?

Good work on the PRs ma dude. Youre finally passed your injuries it seems...dont go fuggin something up!!!! Take care of those biceps on stones.
Open 220

I didn’t do this one; Jessica has done it the last few years. She took best lifter last year and best female overall.

I think I am largely past the injuries, God willing, and while my absolute strength isn’t greater I think I’ve improved a lot in little ways as a lifter.

I have done 2 contests, first was in August 231 Open that I pulled out of in last place when my bicep was re-tearing on the sandbag medley and one in Sept I found out about 5 days prior to comp - entered Heavyweight Novice and tied for 1st & lost the shoulder-raise tiebreaker.

Other than the 6 weeks before the first one my bicep started to tear in, I’ve never actually trained for strongman - so far though, it’s going a lot better this time!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
There wasnt another one where some town shut down a street for you guys? I coulda sworn there was!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
03/13/18

Frontsquat (belt less)
45,135,185,225,275x3
325 2x3

Hi Bar (soft belt)
warmup doubles during fronts
355 3x5

Dynamic Deadlift on stiff bar
385 6x1, 1x5

Widegrip Pulldown
147,170,175,190x15

GHR
vs Light Band
4x10

Today, I was on - everything felt right. Started a new less stressful job on the 1st: being 9-5 & no longer commuting 2 hours a day seems to be really paying out in recovery.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nice session and congrats on the new job man. You were doing well despite the time constraints that last job put on you but now with a less grueling job schedule im expecting you to really start to see things move. Im sure you are too.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
03/13/18

Frontsquat (belt less)
45,135,185,225,275x3
325 2x3

Hi Bar (soft belt)
warmup doubles during fronts
355 3x5

Dynamic Deadlift on stiff bar
385 6x1, 1x5

Widegrip Pulldown
147,170,175,190x15

GHR
vs Light Band
4x10

Today, I was on - everything felt right. Started a new less stressful job on the 1st: being 9-5 & no longer commuting 2 hours a day seems to be really paying out in recovery.
Congrats on the job! I’m in the same boat. New job, no more nightshifts, life is better.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Congrats on the job! I’m in the same boat. New job, no more nightshifts, life is better.
I honestly have 2 full more hours/day, 5 days a week - I can’t believe how much time I have now. And my sleep schedule is definitely making positive adaptations. It was easier to get up at 4:15 this morning to train than it was getting up at 6:15 when I was working 2nd shift and going to bed 11-12.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good to see that things are coming together for you. Congrats on the new job and the increase in personal time!