Hyde’s Strength Odyssey

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They also sell those Fatgripz attachments for somebody in a commercial setting without room for a cheap strongman axle bar.
I have a set of these, that i have used from time to time in Meadows workouts... kills the forearms for sure. I might just start working them into my optional (Saturday) workouts.. thanks man.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Something that bears repeating is the volume AND frequency is extremely low in Kubik’s system. He said a typical week would have 20-50 total sets, counting warmups for everything, over 2-3 sessions typically. Most people do that in one session. And NO isolation work is done, except maybe heavy calf raises. Everything is compound and explicitly no pump work, period. That leads to size but no extra strength.

The only high-rep work he promotes at all is 20-rep squats or pulls:

Got ya... I will have to have a look at it for sure. I need to see it laid out, it sounds interesting and if the volme is low enough then it might just be my cup of tea! Although I like my pump work for growth too! Everything in seasons right!

Figured you might want to get in on this challenge thread since you are trying to lean up... If not come support me trying!

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/300262-transformation-physique-goal.html

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/02/18

Today was a 10% day - felt extra strong and it showed in the lifetime PRs. 345 is 1.5x BW on the rows. All I could wish for was that I had been able to stay a bit longer!

Keg Loads
110,160x3 triple extensions each

Sandbag Carry
200lbs for 200ft (had to unload it from the car)

Frontsquat vs 70lbs chain
225,275x1
315x3 PR

Hi Bar vs 70lbs chain
225,275,315,365,405x1

Pendlay Rows
135,185,235,285,325,345x5 PR

Pinch grip hold
45 bumper/hand 35-40 seconds

Kb Bent Press
Worked up to only 61lbs/side....this is going to take some work lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice work!

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gotta love those days where everything feels on point!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Some strong mfin pendlays dude. Good stuff.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Some strong mfin pendlays dude. Good stuff.

02/04/18

Axle C&P
75,135x5
155x3
175,185 for 3-4 singles each

Farmers Walk 100ft
175/hand
275 (distance PR)

Logpress
126,146,166x5
188x4,4,5

Hi-Handle Trapbar Deadlift
375x20
425x20 PR

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

02/04/18

Axle C&P
75,135x5
155x3
175,185 for 3-4 singles each

Farmers Walk 100ft
175/hand
275 (distance PR)

Logpress
126,146,166x5
188x4,4,5

Hi-Handle Trapbar Deadlift
375x20
425x20 PR
Nice workout!!!!

Contemplating getting rid of my bench / squat stand and putting in a YOKE instead. Same space, and more uses!!!! Then I can train some other strongman stuff too. I still have my power rack for the real heavy stuff if I need it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice workout!!!!

Contemplating getting rid of my bench / squat stand and putting in a YOKE instead. Same space, and more uses!!!! Then I can train some other strongman stuff too. I still have my power rack for the real heavy stuff if I need it.
Thank you! I feel blown apart

If you aren’t competing in the yoke, I wouldn’t train it - there are better general strength builders, like farmers. A yoke is great as an adjustable bar to load over, and if you keep it light it can be a good implement, but I’d be remiss not to caution you. Neck, traps, shoulders, back, discs, hips, calves, ankles, knees, quads - anything can get hurt on the yoke.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thank you! I feel blown apart

If you aren’t competing in the yoke, I wouldn’t train it - there are better general strength builders, like farmers. A yoke is great as an adjustable bar to load over, and if you keep it light it can be a good implement, but I’d be remiss not to caution you. Neck, traps, shoulders, back, discs, hips, calves, ankles, knees, quads - anything can get hurt on the yoke.
In that case, I have better things I can spend my money on. Not like I can't by a YOKE bar for less than half the price... I was looking around my garage and thinking sure it replaces some stuff but will I use it properly or just own a Yoke I use as a squat and bench rack... If the latter I have one already...

I think other than adding in some of the strong man exercises I need to get the crazy intensity stuff out of my head and focus on staying strong and healthy. I can't be strong if I am not healthy enough to push hard. I know if there is a way to end up pushing it with that thing that I would push until I found it out!!!

Thanks for the reality check, you know me well enough to know I would more than likely push that implement too far... I have a tendency to do that with intensity levels.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Literally everyone I train with pushes the yoke too hard at some point. Then it bites back. Chad had to pull out of Master’s Worlds this year because his quad re-tore on a 1,000lb run that he shouldn’t have been doing again til day of contest.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Literally everyone I train with pushes the yoke too hard at some point. Then it bites back. Chad had to pull out of Master’s Worlds this year because his quad re-tore on a 1,000lb run that he shouldn’t have been doing again til day of contest.
It's just one of those movements that lends itself to all out effort! I love all out effort!!

I am sure that is why I have come to love the deadlift. One of the few ballz out effort lifts you can do where you can just drop the weight relatively safely if things go wrong. Yeah I know lower back this and that... I feel with my leverages and wedge that my lower back is not really getting crushed that bad... Anyway to me it is the safest of the exercises you can just give 100% to and not worry about failing because all that means is putting it back down or dropping it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It's just one of those movements that lends itself to all out effort! I love all out effort!!

I am sure that is why I have come to love the deadlift. One of the few ballz out effort lifts you can do where you can just drop the weight relatively safely if things go wrong. Yeah I know lower back this and that... I feel with my leverages and wedge that my lower back is not really getting crushed that bad... Anyway to me it is the safest of the exercises you can just give 100% to and not worry about failing because all that means is putting it back down or dropping it.
You should make some sandbags. If you drop them on yourself you won’t maim anything, and if you fall carrying one you basically land on a rough beanbag.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You should make some sandbags. If you drop them on yourself you won’t maim anything, and if you fall carrying one you basically land on a rough beanbag.
I have one I made that kind of has a kettle bell handle and I occasionally throw it over head or use it as a carrying tool. It is only 95lbs but it does the trick.

I am thinking of making another one that would either be 140, or 185lbs. Using 45lb bags of pea gravel...

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/07/18

Front Squat
275 vs 70 chain x1
295 ^
315 ^
335 ^ PR

Hi Bar
295 vs 70 x1
335 ^
345 vs 105 x1
375 ^
405 vs 105 x2 PR
405x5

200lb Sandbag
Shouldered x4/side
Clean & Press x1 (took 5 attempts!)
200ft carry

The heavy chain double on hi bar and the set of 5 after with straight weight really had me wiped. Didn’t want to grind out a bunch of bs so I just picked up something awkward ftw.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Congrats on the PRs! I really miss my old gym with chains and goodies.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
PR city! You’re gonna hit that front squat goal relatively quick bud

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
PR city! You’re gonna hit that front squat goal relatively quick bud
Yeah he is!!!! I gotta work on getting caught up. I hit 315 for a triple last week first time out in a while... I bet I can hit it this year for sure. Hyde on the other hand, I see it coming sooner than later.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah he is!!!! I gotta work on getting caught up. I hit 315 for a triple last week first time out in a while... I bet I can hit it this year for sure. Hyde on the other hand, I see it coming sooner than later.
I think 405 is coming soon, knock on wood. I think if I deloaded next week I would probably have a very real shot at it, but I want to do at least one more 3-week wave and assess. I’ll be adding some bar weight and dropping 35 total in chain for the same 5s/triples/singles is what I’m thinking.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you’re HBS is 405x5 your front squat of 405 for a single is coming soon. Carryover is close my friend!

It’s weird idk if it’s because I’ve gotten older or humility hit me hard when I got injured but I love seeing friends progress (not that I disliked people’s progress or tried to discredit it but I never got pumped like I have the last year)

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice PRs... the deadlifts 20's the other day impressed the sh1t out of me!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you’re HBS is 405x5 your front squat of 405 for a single is coming soon. Carryover is close my friend!

It’s weird idk if it’s because I’ve gotten older or humility hit me hard when I got injured but I love seeing friends progress (not that I disliked people’s progress or tried to discredit it but I never got pumped like I have the last year)
Thank you! It has taken much more effort than I expected, but I suppose that is all weightlifting honestly.

Nice PRs... the deadlifts 20's the other day impressed the sh1t out of me!
Honestly I get so much out of those 3 extra inches the high handles give me on trap bar. When I can stay so upright it lets me just kind of sit back as I turn my chest up and load my hips like a car deadlift - and relative to other pulls, a neutral grip high deadlift seems to be a very powerful position for me indeed. You don’t get the stress on the low back so I can really open the throttle all the way.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/08/18

Rear Delt DB Flyes
15s 2x20
20s 2x20

Hammercurls
15,20,25s x20

Bench deload
185,205,225x5
+yellow slingshot
265x5

Axle Seated Military
totally raw
95,135,155x5
175x3
185x2
195x1 PR
+full gear
205x2 PR
185x3

Axle Strict Curl
95,105,115,120x1

Duffin Rows
135,185,225,275,315,335,355x5 PR

Chins
2x10

The axle double tied my best barbell military now, and I’ve never rowed this amount before with any amount of English (and there’s plenty here). Good day reaching out for new heights.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Man your back is just strong, the strong man training must be helping a lot too! Just beastly numbers there.

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Honestly I get so much out of those 3 extra inches the high handles give me on trap bar. When I can stay so upright it lets me just kind of sit back as I turn my chest up and load my hips like a car deadlift - and relative to other pulls, a neutral grip high deadlift seems to be a very powerful position for me indeed. You don’t get the stress on the low back so I can really open the throttle all the way.
I am really glad I took both you and Chris's advice a while back to switch out straight for the trap bar... one of the best purchases I made..

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Man your back is just strong, the strong man training must be helping a lot too! Just beastly numbers there.
IMG_1518144778.100754.jpg

Funny thing is I have barely trained strongman events, other than overhead and some farmers walks occasionally.

The biggest thing for me has been to raise my standards for what is heavy, and what hard work looks like - if Chad taught me anything, it’s that you’re always capable of more than you think if you are willing to dig deeper.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
View attachment 159821

Funny thing is I have barely trained strongman events, other than overhead and some farmers walks occasionally.

The biggest thing for me has been to raise my standards for what is heavy, and what hard work looks like - if Chad taught me anything, it’s that you’re always capable of more than you think if you are willing to dig deeper.
It is true but with that mentality you MUST do all of your body maintenance or you break down. I tend to get into the mentality of just pushing extremely hard and love it but neglect the maintenance and inevitably cause myself injury, down time or just a lot of working around things.

I definitely think that weight carries and odd objects make the back and yoke so much stronger than a lot of the more direct training alone though.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
IMG_1518233333.080547.jpg

What I think looking at every other article posted on the front of this forum

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/10/18

Shoulder warmup, glute activation

Axle Clean & Press
45,95,115x5
135,155x3
175x6 singles
185x3 singles

Logpress
178x3
198x1
218x1 PR
228 miss
228x1 PR
188x4
198x3 (cluster of c&p each rep)

Seated 1-arm DB Press
50,60,70x8/side
80x2/side

Strict Logpress
126 2x10

Pressed bodyweight for an 11lb PR today. Can’t say I was anything less than tickled. Chad was in town this morning which gave me some extra drive, and tomorrow we’re getting a crew together for a bunch of events so I’m saving my back and legs for that.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/10/18

Shoulder warmup, glute activation

Axle Clean & Press
45,95,115x5
135,155x3
175x6 singles
185x3 singles

Logpress
178x3
198x1
218x1 PR
228 miss
228x1 PR
188x4
198x3 (cluster of c&p each rep)

Seated 1-arm DB Press
50,60,70x8/side
80x2/side

Strict Logpress
126 2x10

Pressed bodyweight for an 11lb PR today. Can’t say I was anything less than tickled. Chad was in town this morning which gave me some extra drive, and tomorrow we’re getting a crew together for a bunch of events so I’m saving my back and legs for that.
Just sounds like so much fun!!!

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Seems to be abundant PR's in this program! Nice work Hyde

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks gents! It was a really satisfying day.

02/11/18

Powersnatch (never tried these ever)
Singles up thru a very easy 145

Circus Db
Left arm:
87x3
107x2
117x1
127x1 PR

Right:
^ but missed 127

Deadlift, singles every 30 sec
345x9
395x1

Fat Handle Farmers 60ft
225/hand

200lb Sandbag
Load
2x3
Shoulder
2/side

150 Sb Carry Medley
Carry 30ft, drop, pick, carry 30, load, repeat

SLDL
315x17

CGBP
185x12

Random fun day at different gym; only thing pre-defined for me was Farmers (handles were TWICE as thick as our pair). Really wanted to train their circus db but boy that was tough the day after maxing on log!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Looks like a great and fun day!!!!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/14/18

Last training before leaving for the beach tomorrow night until next Tues or Weds. Didn’t have the time or gas to really train any pressing, but everything is already sore.

Powersnatch
Doubles up through 155 PR

Frontsquat
155,245,315,345,375x1 PR

Hi Bar
^+415,435x1 PR?

Dynamic Boxsquat 1” above parallel
vs Light bands
145,235x2
285x6x2
335,375,415x2 PR

18” Rackpull
165,275,385,455,505x1

Dynamic Deadlift, beltless
355x7 singles
405x1

Chin-up
1,2,3,4...9,10 short rest ladder

IMG_1518653330.037982.jpg

#goingindeep

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
No **** on that hashtag man...lord! Good looking front squat. Enjoy your vacation!

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dang bro, why don’t you just go ahead and touch the floor with your butt?

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Disqualified squat! You went too far beyond parallel! Jeez Hyde! Inspirational man!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice work! I end up dropping deep in the bucket on front squats too. I just drop right through my hips so easily with the weight up front that ass to grass is the most comfortable way to do them.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Just a couple meatheads at the beach

IMG_1519187671.724232.jpg
IMG_0971.jpg

Destin was perfect - 74 and gloriously sunny in the middle of February.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Great pics!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
02/21/18

First day back in a week. Took the opportunity to go for 405 on frontsquat but just didn’t have the power to come out of the bottom. Just need to keep working!

Frontsquat
45,135,225x3
405 MISS
405 MISS

Pushpress (off the rack)
45,95x5
240 5lb lifetime PR

IMG_1519232354.753790.jpg

Today was just for testing - training resumes tomorrow.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Congrats on the Push Press PR!!!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Honestly im surprised you didnt get the 405. Back to the grind, it has to be close.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice PR! Congratulations!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thank you fellas.

Had throat pain and sinus headaches last couple days so didn’t train today, slept in again. Still feel like crap. Gonna try something tomorrow but we’ll see what we get.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Feel better and let yourself recover.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer