Hyde’s Strength Odyssey

Electrake

Electrake

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
6/16/24 - Day 0
BW247.0

Rough news - went into the gym today to squat, did all my bracing & mobility warmup, and when I casually bent over to pick up a box my back spasmed violently & locked up. Didn’t even reach the box or lift a single weight today, and my back just totally **** the bed.

I have suddenly been dealing with some intermittent nerve pain in my right glute & calf the last week or two, which was hurting during benching yesterday. So things have just been off lately, and it hasn’t really felt like my back has been getting better. Now, yet again I find myself crippled: it’s time for drastic measures.

I’m walking away from lifting for the moment. At least 6 weeks, probably longer. I need to give my spine time to really heal, so that I can start over. This is not something I can push through; this is a problem that needs to be resolved if I’m going to total 1,700. Plan for the moment is to focus on bracing & walking, as well as taking the opportunity to do some serious fasting.
I'm sorry man, I hope you can figure this out and come back stronger.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Man that really does suck, and I know it has to be bad, knowing how you work around most injuries, but that’s obviously the right decision. Rest, heal up, and hopefully your ART guy can work his magic.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
6/21/24 - Day 2
BW 239.2

Been fasting 50 hours so far, since the failed gym session. If I’m not lifting heavy, I certainly don’t need to be so fat lol. And the fasting gives me something to focus on that helps me keep me out of my garage gym.

The 2,400mg of ibuprofen & 10 rounds of back icing I did Wednesday had me moving normally again yesterday with no pain besides some of the nerve pain I’ve had. ART doctor did a few tests and said I have textbook Facet Joint Syndrome (from the one that popped some months back on that front squat). This is the first stage of the same nerve issue before it becomes Piriformis syndrome if it runs down the upper leg, which becomes Sciatica if it travels all the way to the foot. And another way to say that inflamed facet joint is bugging my nerve, and I need to get it calmed down so it doesn’t pinch or catch so easily.

He wants me doing McKenzie press-ups several times/day along with Cat Camels, plus daily work on Dead Bugs and McGill Curl-ups for 2 minutes each. He also wants me flossing the sciatic nerve a couple ways a couple times per day. He felt 6 weeks may be overkill, or not enough, to resolve the nerve issue - but he really is not thrilled about me not lifting at all for the duration. Primarily, he wants me to at least squat with the empty barbell. So we will see where it goes, but I really don’t want to be in a situation where I am tempted to undo the bigger picture. For now, I am hands off. I am a competitor at heart, and I would rather take a bit longer to come back than overdo things because I got greedy. Abstinence is easier than portion control.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Abstinence is absolutely easier than portion control. That is a fact for sure. It only takes feeling super good one day with a barbell only to be like I bet I can do 95 safely now....

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
6/21/24 - Day 2
BW 239.2

Been fasting 50 hours so far, since the failed gym session. If I’m not lifting heavy, I certainly don’t need to be so fat lol. And the fasting gives me something to focus on that helps me keep me out of my garage gym.

The 2,400mg of ibuprofen & 10 rounds of back icing I did Wednesday had me moving normally again yesterday with no pain besides some of the nerve pain I’ve had. ART doctor did a few tests and said I have textbook Facet Joint Syndrome (from the one that popped some months back on that front squat). This is the first stage of the same nerve issue before it becomes Piriformis syndrome if it runs down the upper leg, which becomes Sciatica if it travels all the way to the foot. And another way to say that inflamed facet joint is bugging my nerve, and I need to get it calmed down so it doesn’t pinch or catch so easily.

He wants me doing McKenzie press-ups several times/day along with Cat Camels, plus daily work on Dead Bugs and McGill Curl-ups for 2 minutes each. He also wants me flossing the sciatic nerve a couple ways a couple times per day. He felt 6 weeks may be overkill, or not enough, to resolve the nerve issue - but he really is not thrilled about me not lifting at all for the duration. Primarily, he wants me to at least squat with the empty barbell. So we will see where it goes, but I really don’t want to be in a situation where I am tempted to undo the bigger picture. For now, I am hands off. I am a competitor at heart, and I would rather take a bit longer to come back than overdo things because I got greedy. Abstinence is easier than portion control.
Abstinence is absolutely easier than portion control. That is a fact for sure. It only takes feeling super good one day with a barbell only to be like I bet I can do 95 safely now....
“Abstinence is easier than portion control”
Is such a true statement…👍💯

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
6/19/24 - Day 0
BW247.0

Rough news - went into the gym today to squat, did all my bracing & mobility warmup, and when I casually bent over to pick up a box my back spasmed violently & locked up. Didn’t even reach the box or lift a single weight today, and my back just totally **** the bed.

I have suddenly been dealing with some intermittent nerve pain in my right glute & calf the last week or two, which was hurting during benching yesterday. So things have just been off lately, and it hasn’t really felt like my back has been getting better. Now, yet again I find myself crippled: it’s time for drastic measures.

I’m walking away from lifting for the moment. At least 6 weeks, probably longer. I need to give my spine time to really heal, so that I can start over. This is not something I can push through; this is a problem that needs to be resolved if I’m going to total 1,700. Plan for the moment is to focus on bracing & walking, as well as taking the opportunity to do some serious fasting.
It looks like the cancellation was a blessing! You do you and heal up bro, then ease back in and come back even stronger and more determined! Much easier to approach a program without having the thought of an injury flaring up in the back of your mind.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Sorry to hear that man! Wishing you a speedy recovery. I think that’s a great approach you have set up for yourself with the fasting, stretching and the PT exercises. Best of luck with it brother!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sorry to hear about the injury. Good luck on the recovery.

I know totally avoiding may feel like an easier approach, but I’m not surprised your guy doesn’t want you to just completely rest. Absolute rest and doing nothing doesn’t really seem to be in line with actual understanding of healing anymore and generally just leaves people even less prepared and more susceptible to issues upon return.

Regardless I’m sure whatever you choose you’ll just need to have a solid plan as things get reintegrated.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sorry to hear about the injury. Good luck on the recovery.

I know totally avoiding may feel like an easier approach, but I’m not surprised your guy doesn’t want you to just completely rest. Absolute rest and doing nothing doesn’t really seem to be in line with actual understanding of healing anymore and generally just leaves people even less prepared and more susceptible to issues upon return.

Regardless I’m sure whatever you choose you’ll just need to have a solid plan as things get reintegrated.
Can you define what ‘not training’ means to you? I will be walking, cycling, doing core exercises, pushups, pull-ups, sled work, bodyweight squats & lunges - this to me is just basic exercise/GPP. I am not some couch potato gen pop who just stops moving. So I wonder if there’s a language disconnect. There’s not a lack of bloodflow, just loaded sheer forces or a bench arch.

It seems like whatever barbell work I actually train has been aggravating this nerve overall. Benching, squatting to a 2” high box, Trapbar Deadlift all feel like they are still causing instability/aggravation. I do not see how lifting trivial weights in partial ranges is going to build real strength (not when it seems to be continually causing flare ups) - it hasn’t so far. I can take months off lifting and be handling 2-3 plates on anything week 1, so it’s not an issue of strength or muscle decay the way normal population would be dealing with.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like a good plan of action, doing things to strengthen the area while avoiding sheer forces of they are causing issues. I am sure you will modify as needed if needed.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’m walking away from lifting for the moment. At least 6 weeks, probably longer.
^^^

but he really is not thrilled about me not lifting at all for the duration.
^^^^^

Can you define what ‘not training’ means to you? I will be walking, cycling, doing core exercises, pushups, pull-ups, sled work, bodyweight squats & lunges - this to me is just basic exercise/GPP. I am not some couch potato gen pop who just stops moving. So I wonder if there’s a language disconnect. There’s not a lack of bloodflow, just loaded sheer forces or a bench arch.

It seems like whatever barbell work I actually train has been aggravating this nerve overall. Benching, squatting to a 2” high box, Trapbar Deadlift all feel like they are still causing instability/aggravation. I do not see how lifting trivial weights in partial ranges is going to build real strength (not when it seems to be continually causing flare ups) - it hasn’t so far. I can take months off lifting and be handling 2-3 plates on anything week 1, so it’s not an issue of strength or muscle decay the way normal population would be dealing with.
Ok glad you are still training, just not what I had gathered from the way you had worded it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
^^^

^^^^^

Ok glad you are still training, just not what I had gathered from the way you had worded it.
Yeah, I don’t even consider that stuff lifting, or training for anything. That’s just me trying not to go crazy & doing anything I can that’s not a negative. I suspect now my doc was probably similarly led astray by my choice of words: the slew of average people you both deal with on a regular basis…I’m sure plenty are totally content to throw up their hands at the first adversity & convince themselves becoming sedentary is the best answer.

“I ain’t sweet like that!”

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ok because I consider pretty much everything I do as having some sort of place in the puzzle so the wordage didn't really click for me.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
6/23/24 - Day 4
BW 237.8

I’ll have fasted 4 days in about an hour, and it’s been going well. Been doing about 2.5g salt daily, alpha Yohimbine, choline, carnitine in the mornings, with caffeine a couple times per day. Tapered my test & mast down to 200/200 this week; added Tren Ace on Friday for the glucocorticoid inhibition & thyroid overdrive at 10mg and tapering up 1mg/day (so 12mg today & 33mg total).

I don’t necessarily have a target end in mind for the fast, but I don’t feel ready to break it so I’m just rolling with it for now. There are hard points each day, but it’s not gotten any harder & I feel pretty good.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The fasting will be great to keep/get inflammation down as well. Of course you already know that.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I really like that lifting is so important to your ART guy, but definitely a fan of your approach.

Primarily, he wants me to at least squat with the empty barbell. So we will see where it goes, but I really don’t want to be in a situation where I am tempted to undo the bigger picture. For now, I am hands off. I am a competitor at heart, and I would rather take a bit longer to come back than overdo things because I got greedy. Abstinence is easier than portion control.
just the tip, just for a second!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
06/24/24 - Day 5
BW 237.6

Broke my fast today at the 120 hour/5-day mark. Yesterday morning started alright, but I could tell in my legs I wasn’t recovering even from my daily walks and after my early afternoon one (half an hour in the sun) I was dead for hours. So I got through the evening then had a big plate of ham & eggs at 11 this morning.

Keeping it keto for the moment, and trying to eat “a lot” of calories today & tomorrow to keep metabolism up, then probably another 60-72 hour fast to come hopefully (hence staying keto).

Had wings for a couple meals, and grilling some burgers and brats at the moment.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
06/24/24 - Day 5
BW 237.6

Broke my fast today at the 120 hour/5-day mark. Yesterday morning started alright, but I could tell in my legs I wasn’t recovering even from my daily walks and after my early afternoon one (half an hour in the sun) I was dead for hours. So I got through the evening then had a big plate of ham & eggs at 11 this morning.

Keeping it keto for the moment, and trying to eat “a lot” of calories today & tomorrow to keep metabolism up, then probably another 60-72 hour fast to come hopefully (hence staying keto).

Had wings for a couple meals, and grilling some burgers and brats at the moment.
This sounds like a good day to treat yourself to a nice Prime Ribeye or Strip Steak with some grilled asparagus or something yummy!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
6/25/24 - Day 6
BW 240.8

Bounced up 3lbs from keto food & high salt, honestly less than I expected. Still down about 6.5lbs, but we’ll see what happens when carbs come back this weekend.

Went to the commercial gym this morning:

Cat Camel
Bird Dog
15 min walk
Curl-ups 2 min
Dead Bugs 2 min
Lunge stretch
Plank 1 min
Side Plank 1min each
Sled push down, row back 3 rounds
Suitcase Carries
KB Waiter Carries
Reverse Pec Deck 2x20

Felt good to move the sled & break a little sweat this morning.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
6/25/24 - Day 6
BW 240.8

Bounced up 3lbs from keto food & high salt, honestly less than I expected. Still down about 6.5lbs, but we’ll see what happens when carbs come back this weekend.

Went to the commercial gym this morning:

Cat Camel
Bird Dog
15 min walk
Curl-ups 2 min
Dead Bugs 2 min
Lunge stretch
Plank 1 min
Side Plank 1min each
Sled push down, row back 3 rounds
Suitcase Carries
KB Waiter Carries
Reverse Pec Deck 2x20

Felt good to move the sled & break a little sweat this morning.
Oh man, that is a nicely set up session for recovery, I bet you feel great after that session.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You have a very solid, well thought out plan. Many times, over the years, I’ve used a similar approach in injury recovery with the body weight exercises, walking, stretching to just keep things loose and the blood flowing. And I really like the way you are strategically fasting, as Kleen said, not only does that help eliminate fat, but the healing that takes place in our body during a fast really is more than most people realize. I’m confident you’ll be coming back strong when all is healed, and your body should really respond when you get back to the weights, and besides you have Mrs. Hyde, that World Class Strong Woman there if you need anything heavy lifted.💪

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
and besides you have Mrs. Hyde, that World Class Strong Woman there if you need anything heavy lifted.
On that note, something big just happened in strongman: wife text me saying the owner of Official Strongman Games, aka the licensed holder of the international World’s Strongest Man/Woman series for every weight class besides Open Men, is buying Strongman Corp allegedly. Along with one of the top employees at SC.

SC is the biggest fed in America, having an international Professional class and the contract for the Arnold Amateur world championship at the Arnold Columbus sports festival.

So it will be really interesting to see how the 2 feds merge and how they structure things going forward (ie will they still have an amateur/paid pro class system, how will the path to a world’s be laid, etc). I have no doubt they will be able to give the athletes the opportunities they desire to determine who is strongest across the world, but everything else is up in the air. Exciting times!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
On that note, something big just happened in strongman: wife text me saying the owner of Official Strongman Games, aka the licensed holder of the international World’s Strongest Man/Woman series for every weight class besides Open Men, is buying Strongman Corp allegedly. Along with one of the top employees at SC.

SC is the biggest fed in America, having an international Professional class and the contract for the Arnold Amateur world championship at the Arnold Columbus sports festival.

So it will be really interesting to see how the 2 feds merge and how they structure things going forward (ie will they still have an amateur/paid pro class system, how will the path to a world’s be laid, etc). I have no doubt they will be able to give the athletes the opportunities they desire to determine who is strongest across the world, but everything else is up in the air. Exciting times!
The two merging should bring in more money to the sport, which should mean more for the athletes, that’s definitely exciting.