Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What to say. Awesome trip. Norway is truly beautiful; around every corner you could take a postcard-worthy photo.

Gf took 4th of 7 in a super tight contest - she was in 2nd place at the end of both Day 1 (Hercules Hold) & 2 (Heavy Truckpull, Timber Yoke, Atlas Stone Series) but on Sunday Day 3 zeroed the wooden Viking Press (which end up weighing 8lbs over comp weight at 172lbs because it was waterlogged) & then one of the powerstairs implements fell down 2 stairs, costing her the 2nd place Arnold Pro invite.

Thursday the cut went as good as possible. Friday was the hottest day in Norwegian history so I took a swim in the mountain lake - cold & clear as diamonds! Food was plentiful and delicious, and the contest was a blast with some epic contention. Scott Mendelson, the GOAT (only man to ever bench over 700 raw and 1,000 shirted), arm-wrestled the Norwegian champ for the whole lodge to watch Saturday. Monday evening in Oslo we took a cruise around the bay which was incredible. Flight got delayed and rerouted Tuesday so we stayed an extra night, in Copenhagen, which was really nice too honestly.

Norway was worth the trip!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Some beautiful pics and sounds like a great event! Being 4rth in the world is still something to be extremely proud of. Does that secure a spot for her next year or how does that work?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Deload “Training” for the trip:

-Squat 5x3 @ 308lbs
-Lat Pulldowns 6x12
-Facepulls 2x25
-Standing Abs

-Swissbar Pushpress 3x5 ~187
-Swiss Floorpress 3x10 ~187
-Pressdowns 2x20
-BB Curls 5x15

-Dips 2x25

Between everything going on & lack of sleep it just wasn’t a priority at all. Joints are feeling really good from all of the time off. Got a good amount of walking in as well.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Norway looks awesome brother!
An experience for you and your better half will never forget!

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Man, Norway is beautiful! Congratulations to the GF on the placing (even though it’s not what she wanted) - she competed with a stout class of women!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Some beautiful pics and sounds like a great event! Being 4rth in the world is still something to be extremely proud of. Does that secure a spot for her next year or how does that work?
Yeah mid pack in the best of the best ain’t too shabby lol

It’s open to Pro women only. She has competed in Strongest Woman in the World 3 years in a row now taking 2nd, 5th, & 4th so I suspect we will be back next year.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you guys had one helluva time..congrats to your other half, that's something to hold your head high about.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Travel opportunity of a lifetime. GF looks great, congratulations on 4th.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thank you all! I would highly recommend Norway to any American - everyone speaks English as a second language, many of the Norwegian words are similar to English, and people are quite friendly and polite. And honestly there are a much greater percentage of attractive folks, similar to how pretty the land is. It is very expensive there ($4.50 USD for a candy bar, $7.50 for a beer at the supermarket) but it’s worth the visit.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
08/02/18

10 min walk
30 Reps Total for Each, Circuit:
-Back Extension
-Push-ups
-Standing Abs
-GHR
-Dips
-Trx Fatman Rows
15 each of:
-Goblet Squat
-Chin-ups
10 min walk

Last night when in for a brief conditioning session to begin preparing to train again. Slept 10 hours/night the last 2 nights. Today is Day 13 of PCT and bodyweight was 219.6 - haven’t been under 220 except for a weighin in over half a decade.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Congrats all around on a successful trip! Sounds like you both had a blast!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice, how are you looking, sounds like you lost a little weight while over there.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice, how are you looking, sounds like you lost a little weight while over there.
Small lol. 1st day there I was 221 dehydrated from long travel, and 225 that evening after hydrating. That was before vacation food so that means I was holding a good 5lbs of glycogen/water from DMZ & creatine (I had ceased creatine about 5 days before trip so gf would have enough as she prepared for comp). I gained a little belly fat but not more than a couple lbs. So I was getting leaner on cycle despite hanging around 225, and now the water has come off.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Dude...the pictures look awesome! What a beautiful countryside. Congrats to Jessica, It's unfortunate she didnt qualify for the Arnold but im sure that will drive her for next year.

I have always had this stereotype in my head that Norwegian chicks were generally good looking, so im glad to hear my assumption might be true after all. Good thing you didnt get too "curious" while there with all the hotties, I'd be scared of what Jessica might do to you if she caught you looking just a litttllee bit too long.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Dude...the pictures look awesome! What a beautiful countryside. Congrats to Jessica, It's unfortunate she didnt qualify for the Arnold but im sure that will drive her for next year.

I have always had this stereotype in my head that Norwegian chicks were generally good looking, so im glad to hear my assumption might be true after all. Good thing you didnt get too "curious" while there with all the hotties, I'd be scared of what Jessica might do to you if she caught you looking just a litttllee bit too long.
Lots of clear tan skin, blonde hair, blue eyes, busty women & people aren’t fat. Compare that to Scotland’s airport where I literally did not find a single attractive human in 3 hours.

Oh she’d probably rip my dick off

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
08/04/18

30 Total Reps Each, Circuit
-Back Ext
-Trx Fatman Rows
-Ghr
-Push-ups

Frontsquat
45,135,185x5
235 3x5
285,325,355x1

Logpress
76,126,146,166x5
176 3x3

CGBP
45,95,145,195,245x5
295 3boardx3, 4bdx4, 3bdx2, 2bdx1
245x6

No equipment used on frontsquat or log except for 355, which flew despite not touching them for over 3 months. Board work was tough but I really need to build my lockout power back up for overheads.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
08/05/18

30 Rep Circuit
-Back Ext
-Trx Fatman Rows
-Push-ups
-Ghr

Deadlift
225 2x3
315x2
405,455x1

Trap Bar High Handles
135,225,315x3
495 2x3

Yoke
350 80ft x2
440 40ft

Axle Strict Press
100 2x15

Incline Db Bench
55 2x20

Wasn’t scheduled to train today & very sore from yesterday but a buddy is moving and wanted to have some doughnuts & deadlifts so everybody came in to played around some.

I have to actually deadlift tomorrow lol

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If doughnuts are promised, you better deadlift

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If doughnuts are promised, you better deadlift
Yeah I’m not a cake doughnut guy but the one I had was very fresh so I can’t complain!

Signed up for a local comp a few friends are doing Sept 1st, 220 Open class:

-Husafel Stone/Keg Carry Medley - 250lbs each, 50ft each way
-Hercules Hold, 250/hand
-Deadlift Ladder 315,365,405x1 then 455xAMRAP
-Circus Db 135lbs
-260lb Stone over 52” Bar for Reps

I was gonna go watch but I can handle the weights so for $40 might as well have some fun!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
08/06/18

-30 Rep Circuit
Back Ext, TRX Rows, Push-ups, GHR

Stiffbar Deadlift w Straps
225x3
315,365,415x1
475x4

Pendlay Rows
245 4x10 sucking wind on these

Light Band-Assisted Chins
4x10

Hammer Strength ISO-Lateral High Row
95/side 4x10

Set the bar down too hard on last rep with straps and it bounced back really hard into my hand, so I couldn’t grip anything after that and had to strap everything & abandon bicep and grip work. Icing it now so I can get working on my grip ASAP for the Hercules Hold.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
A medley of different grip styles, or do you mean a medley of all crushing back-to-back?
A medley consisting of nothing but grip strength events...different sized pinch blocks, and various handles used to lift x amount of weight on loading pins, etc.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
A medley consisting of nothing but grip strength events...different sized pinch blocks, and various handles used to lift x amount of weight on loading pins, etc.
Nah that’s pretty boring to me (although that’s how to train your grip completely).

One time at my last job we sat around for half an hour doing timed holds on various enterprise-grade routers with different positions and holds, but that’s it

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah I’m not a cake doughnut guy but the one I had was very fresh so I can’t complain!

Signed up for a local comp a few friends are doing Sept 1st, 220 Open class:

-Husafel Stone/Keg Carry Medley - 250lbs each, 50ft each way
-Hercules Hold, 250/hand
-Deadlift Ladder 315,365,405x1 then 455xAMRAP
-Circus Db 135lbs
-260lb Stone over 52” Bar for Reps

I was gonna go watch but I can handle the weights so for $40 might as well have some fun!
That looks like a fun comp. As I was reading through it I was thinking you shouldnt have much of a problem with those weights. I think youll put up a pretty good showing there, those events and weights seem like they benefit your strengths and what youve been training lately. Theyre all things id imagine your fairly comfortable with.

08/06/18

-30 Rep Circuit
Back Ext, TRX Rows, Push-ups, GHR

Stiffbar Deadlift w Straps
225x3
315,365,415x1
475x4

Pendlay Rows
245 4x10 sucking wind on these

Light Band-Assisted Chins
4x10

Hammer Strength ISO-Lateral High Row
95/side 4x10

Set the bar down too hard on last rep with straps and it bounced back really hard into my hand, so I couldn’t grip anything after that and had to strap everything & abandon bicep and grip work. Icing it now so I can get working on my grip ASAP for the Hercules Hold.
Its always something with you man! Quit slamming the bar down! Orrrr...setting it down too hard, my bad . I cant imagine itd be too much worse than a "bone bruise" so you should be good to go soon.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I did that with dead’s two weeks ago, granted it didn’t hurt my palm as bad as it sounds like it hurt yours. All I know is I sat it down and I felt the vibration through my wrist into my forearm luckily it was my last rep lol

That comp looks fun. I wish I wasn’t such a pansy with lifting lol that way I’d sign up for a comp and stop procrastinating.

jackedviking

jackedviking

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Subbed. Very informative log. And jealous about Norway.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
Nah that’s pretty boring to me (although that’s how to train your grip completely).

One time at my last job we sat around for half an hour doing timed holds on various enterprise-grade routers with different positions and holds, but that’s it
I knew nothing about such comps, thats why I'm asking...I'm competing, for lack of better words, in a grip specific comp next month...it's really just for fun, and to help promote a friend of a friend's gym (and it was only $12).....and I absolutely suck, lol...my grip is completely compromised if and when I'm not allowed/able to close my hand and just use pinch strength.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Subbed. Very informative log. And jealous about Norway.
Welcome! Norway in summertime was worth the trip.

I knew nothing about such comps, thats why I'm asking...I'm competing, for lack of better words, in a grip specific comp next month...it's really just for fun, and to help promote a friend of a friend's gym (and it was only $12).....and I absolutely suck, lol...my grip is completely compromised if and when I'm not allowed/able to close my hand and just use pinch strength.
It will be fun - it’s very low stress, like guys standing around taking turns shooting at a target or something. The Mas wrestling events I have seen have always had accompanying grip events and it’s completely underwhelming for an audience - it’s just something fun for the people doing it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Last night was 2nd taking 10mg Mk677 before bed. Going to experiment with 10mg nightly or even 5 on/ 2 off for the coming months and see if it improves recovery - looking for whatever I can get from the minimum effective dose. No training today per the norm; slept for 12 hours.

Hands were tingling upon waking so MK is real, especially my sore hand lol. Palm is a little swollen but zero bruising and I can use it a ton more today. Weight was 222.4, so I’ve gained 3lbs water in 2 days despite a tight diet.

Last 4 days diet has been 4 lean dairy or egg white meals with 50g protein each & one oddball meal, and on training days there’s a preWO granola bar & intra carb/eaa drink first thing. This has been crazy easy to prep and stick to.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Last night was 2nd taking 10mg Mk677 before bed. Going to experiment with 10mg nightly or even 5 on/ 2 off for the coming months and see if it improves recovery - looking for whatever I can get from the minimum effective dose. No training today per the norm; slept for 12 hours.

Hands were tingling upon waking so MK is real, especially my sore hand lol. Palm is a little swollen but zero bruising and I can use it a ton more today. Weight was 222.4, so I’ve gained 3lbs water in 2 days despite a tight diet.

Last 4 days diet has been 4 lean dairy or egg white meals with 50g protein each & one oddball meal, and on training days there’s a preWO granola bar & intra carb/eaa drink first thing. This has been crazy easy to prep and stick to.
Sounds like you just jammed it which can suck but also can be worked around / through sometimes... keep it moving so it doesn't get stiff and it will probably recover faster.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
08/08/18

30 Rep Circuit
-Back Ext, Trx Rows, Push-ups, GHR
*this is getting easier

10” Log Strict Press
72x6
102,132,162,182,202x3 PR

BB Front Raises
65,75x8
85 2x8

Db Laterals
30 4x8

Upright Rows
115 4x8

D-handle Cable Facepulls
170 4x8

BB Pullover ss w/ CGBP
115x12 each
95x12 each then immediately 6 each

BB Curls ss w/ BB Overhead Tri Ext
65 3x12/12

Pump was so stupid painful on a full scoop of White Flash with those pullover/CGBP supersets. My gf had to really push me through them, and in general the group had a “No Prisoners!” attitude that had us blasting through this session.

Hand hurt on every exercise and used a strap for about half of the accessories, but still pressed a PR - not bad for day 18 of PCT!

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dm incoming!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
08/09/18

30 Rep Circuit
*hit all 30 reps each in only one set except GHR

Squat
45x5
135,225,275,325,375,415,435x3 RPE10

Smith Bulgarian Split Squat
Empty x10
+30 3x10

GHR (again)
2x15

Db RDL vs Heavy Band around waist
100/each 2x10, 1x20 wanted to die after

Today whipped me good. Comp squat max is probably around 485 atm based off of 435x3, which was max effort. Weighed 222.0 again.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Congrats on the PR!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Congrats on the PR!
Thank you; hopefully I can build my leg drive some and get the static power to actually translate into a bigger overhead. I have always struggled with getting a really effective push consistently.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thank you; hopefully I can build my leg drive some and get the static power to actually translate into a bigger overhead. I have always struggled with getting a really effective push consistently.
This is probably old news to you, but if you point your knees out slightly you should get more leg drive and stability. They actually lose some of the force production in the overhead movements if knees are pointed more forward.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
This is probably old news to you, but if you point your knees out slightly you should get more leg drive and stability. They actually lose some of the force production in the overhead movements if knees are pointed more forward.
Yeah definitely always use a slight V for almost any movement I’m trying to express the glutes and hips violently in. Right now it’s more of a timing issue I think. It’s also much easier on a barbell than an implement, so that’s part of it for me. Need practice.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
08/11/18

Back Extension x30

2-Keg Carry Medley, 75ft each way,
-1st carried upright like a husafelt & 2nd sideways traditional
-200lbs each, 3 runs, last was 31 sec

Frame Hold
500 x32 sec, 39 sec

Circus DB
-85,95,105x3 on open top style
-105x3,4 on globe style

Stones to 50”
175x4
215x4
235x4+1 miss
240x4

Carry Medley got better and better. Circus db and stones for this show are gonna be tough events for real.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
08/11/18

Back Extension x30

2-Keg Carry Medley, 75ft each way,
-1st carried upright like a husafelt & 2nd sideways traditional
-200lbs each, 3 runs, last was 31 sec

Frame Hold
500 x32 sec, 39 sec

Circus DB
-85,95,105x3 on open top style
-105x3,4 on globe style

Stones to 50”
175x4
215x4
235x4+1 miss
240x4

Carry Medley got better and better. Circus db and stones for this show are gonna be tough events for real.
You say the circus db was 135? For max reps?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You say the circus db was 135? For max reps?
Yup. I’ve hit 137 for a double before so I know I can avoid zeroing, just have to train the technique. This is last minute for fun, but nobody wants to zero.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Yup. I’ve hit 137 for a double before so I know I can avoid zeroing, just have to train the technique. This is last minute for fun, but nobody wants to zero.
Yeah thats for sure. Im sure you wont zero. I mean i hit 140 for that white flash comp without ever training the movement. I bet you get at least a double

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyone have any recommendations for sand bag training? I figured it’s related to Strongman training.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Anyone have any recommendations for sand bag training? I figured it’s related to Strongman training.
Like what to do or how to make one? Yes sandbags are a staple in strongman. Picking them off the ground and then carrying them quickly to a point and/or loading them to a height. Pressing them overhead is good work but never a contested event.

Yeah thats for sure. Im sure you wont zero. I mean i hit 140 for that white flash comp without ever training the movement. I bet you get at least a double
That was with a standard handle db. I hit our gym’s normal 130 one time last year on the second try like that. The circus will have a handle bigger than a beer can in diameter, and it is much larger in body so it has to be balanced while the cylinders dig into your wrist - very awkward to control.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Like what to do or how to make one? Yes sandbags are a staple in strongman. Picking them off the ground and then carrying them quickly to a point and/or loading them to a height. Pressing them overhead is good work but never a contested event.

That was with a standard handle db. I hit our gym’s normal 130 one time last year on the second try like that. The circus will have a handle bigger than a beer can in diameter, and it is much larger in body so it has to be balanced while the cylinders dig into your wrist - very awkward to control.
The handle is that big? Dang. I knew it was bigger but never paid attention enough to see how big

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The handle is that big? Dang. I knew it was bigger but never paid attention enough to see how big
Yeah my left thumb is so trashed from Saturday’s training. My gf said you get used to it but it never really stops hurting when you train it.

My right palm is the one that got jammed/bruised whatever and I still couldn’t bench yesterday. So I was gonna try some light db with my left hand to practice technique. But it was so sore I could barely lift anything. So I literally couldn’t do upper body work at all. It was the worst.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well it would definitely take some of the fun out of it for sure!!!
Yeah my left thumb is so trashed from Saturday’s training. My gf said you get used to it but it never really stops hurting when you train it.

My right palm is the one that got jammed/bruised whatever and I still couldn’t bench yesterday. So I was gonna try some light db with my left hand to practice technique. But it was so sore I could barely lift anything. So I literally couldn’t do upper body work at all. It was the worst.
Some times you have to be a little sacrilegious when it comes to that, and use a machine. When my thumb is jacked up like that I have to train my pressing stuff with and open hand for presses. Just using the handles on machines, no gripping, no effort to stabilize. You still get the pressing carry over that way at least. Might be worth a shot for your upper body for the time being.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
When my hand was fukkdd up a couple years ago i found that using the axle in place of the standard barbell and using a false grip took a lot of the pressure off the injured area and allowed me to do some pressing still.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
When my hand was fukkdd up a couple years ago i found that using the axle in place of the standard barbell and using a false grip took a lot of the pressure off the injured area and allowed me to do some pressing still.
This is in similar line I think so long as using a false grip, but even better because you are spreading the pressure across more area. Another option would be to do this with maybe some thick grips, the rubber could help take of some pressure.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Some times you have to be a little sacrilegious when it comes to that, and use a machine. When my thumb is jacked up like that I have to train my pressing stuff with and open hand for presses. Just using the handles on machines, no gripping, no effort to stabilize. You still get the pressing carry over that way at least. Might be worth a shot for your upper body for the time being.
I should have done left arm seated/incline Db work at least but I was feeling very defeated after not being able to use my right hand already at all.