How to balance bjj and weight training??

sirslappsalot

Awards
Dude, that's the question! I seriously had to up my caloric intake. It's almost impossible to enjoy mad gains when your hitting BJJ right after the gym. It's a real juggling act that makes you crazy trying to keep a diet on track especially when your having off days.
All I can suggest is get used to eating a lot (I eat a lot of tuna salmon and eggs) and carbs before both training times. You may also look into insulin prior to weight training.
I don't know your training schedule so it's hard to tell you what I would do if I were in your shoes.

BigRso

BigRso

Awards
I'm currently on a cut but I train jitz 3x a week and lift 3 x a week I take Saturday and Wednesday to rest. Macros/ Calories for me 2240cal protein 40% carbs 25% fats 35%
224gr. 140gr. 87gr.

I do full body routines 2 x movement per body part generally one compound one explosive either timed or 3 x 10reps depends how I feel. On the days I do jitz I do Muay Thai so I like to take a carb source usually pop rice cakes the flavored ones and down that and a shake before we do striking. Hope this help. Oh prior to my cut I was taking in 3100 cal but I'm trying to get lean so I'm at 2240 and feel fine.

4evafit

4evafit

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys for the suggestion. The problem is not with diet it with being a perfectionist. I can't half ass things. I'm all or nothing. I don't know how to break out of this mind set and not sure if it's a bad thing. Bjj and bodybuilding are completely opposite sports which makes it harder. When I lift and focus on hypertrophy I get sloppy and stiff at jitz. When I focus on jitz I get weak as piss in the weight room and look like a ballerina

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
BB and BJJ won't work together and trying to make it work will increase your chances of getting injured.

I trained BJJ and Muay Thai, along with lifting for about 5 years. Strength training is very compatible with BJJ, as well endurance training. But if you are truly doing more BB type workouts with body parts being hit several times a week, isolation work, and diet prep, that is not going to work well- especially on ligaments and joints. BJJ is hard enough on the joints to begin with and I ended up dropping it all together.

4evafit

4evafit

Awards
  • Established
BB and BJJ won't work together and trying to make it work will increase your chances of getting injured.

I trained BJJ and Muay Thai, along with lifting for about 5 years. Strength training is very compatible with BJJ, as well endurance training. But if you are truly doing more BB type workouts with body parts being hit several times a week, isolation work, and diet prep, that is not going to work well- especially on ligaments and joints. BJJ is hard enough on the joints to begin with and I ended up dropping it all together.
I agree

silverfoxbjj

silverfoxbjj

Awards
As stated above BB and BJJ don't mix, I've found the StrongLifts 5x5 compliments bjj and vise versa.
As for diet it all depends on your bw and bmr mostly.
Recovery time is also key.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I started Krav Maga shortly after writing my original comment and it happens to be a very good school that mixes in BJJ and has full sparring and contact drills working at 100% speed. I can now 100% standby my thoughts that lifting, especially BB lifting, is hampered by any sport/martial art that utilizes sparring and contact drills. I've moved to a 2 day a week full body routine focusing on strength training to maintain strength, but am pretty beat up and sore from 3 days a week KM training all the time to the point it can be a struggle, but necessary.

Trevork707

Trevork707

Awards
I started off doing BB before I got into BJJ and foundout really quick they don't mix well. The best success I have had with it is following a very simple spilt. Whenever I am getting ready for a tournament I would train BJJ Mon/Wed/Fri evenings. Tues/Thurs/Sat or Sun I would lift in a push/pull/legs spilt. Weightlifting wise would start routine with a compelte body movement, i.e. deadlift/squat/bench, and than would follow with movements that would require me to engage my core and balance(i.e. dumbbell press on a ball, squat on a half ball upside down, etc) I found great success with Dorian Yates protocol of 1-2 warm-up sets followed by 1 working set. I would be out of the weightlifting gym within 25mins.Ended up winning Gold @ NAGA and Newbreed with this protocol.

It's mainly about listing to your body and training properly and learning how to build your body to work toward whatever kind of BJJ game you play. My game relies on constant pressure followed with short quick burst of energy for passes/sweeps, so this style of lifting works well for that. If your style is different than you may want to follow a different protocol.