How often is everyone training a muscle group per work?

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
Just curious on how people are training nowadays. It has been a LONG time since I've done the ol' one body part a week routine. Yet when I'm bored waiting for the girlfriend in the grocery store every single "muscle" mag features one body part a week routines. I'm just curious on how often people are hitting muscle groups per week and their reasoning behind it.

Edit: Stupid typos, obviously I meant per week, not per work.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I typically hit each muscle group directly once a week. More lately, I'm skipping a muscle group each week so it's closer to 10-12 days before I hit that one group, then it's back to a week and another muscle group gets the longer break.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't break training into muscles; instead, I lift based off of movements.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I use a strict DC template, so it really depends on what's going on that week. A few constants is that I do biceps 3x week (either through direct bicep work or back work), back 3-5x week (either direct back work, or with deadlifts and squats, or with accessory work like goodmorning variations or face pulls on leg day), and "legs" 2-3x week. Chest and tricep use between 1x to 2x a week. Shoulders are used very often, both with direct (presses) and indirect (rows) work at about 2-3x a week.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
I use a strict DC template, so it really depends on what's going on that week. A few constants is that I do biceps 3x week (either through direct bicep work or back work), back 3-5x week (either direct back work, or with deadlifts and squats, or with accessory work like goodmorning variations or face pulls on leg day), and "legs" 2-3x week. Chest and tricep use between 1x to 2x a week. Shoulders are used very often, both with direct (presses) and indirect (rows) work at about 2-3x a week.
sorry here bro but gotta call you out. you prolly follow it very closely but not strict as there is no accessory work in dc training. back 3-5 times per week? impossible considering that its a 3 day/week routine so the most you could do is 3 so if you said 3 i wouldnt argue as directly and indirectly you would be for the most part correct. shoulders would never get 3 days in a week no matter how you look at it. on the leg, bi, forearm, calf day you are not hitting shoulders even remotely. on that week where its 2 of those said routines youd only hit shoulders 1 time.

no hatin bro just pointin it out. me personally i follow dc almost strict. the only accessory work i do is traps since deadlifting has of recently become a no-no for me but that wouldnt stop me from doing my favorite wo system of all time

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
i also train dc so a rough figure is that you hit bodypart directly every 4-5 days. me personally once a week isnt enough and 2x/week is too much on this old mans joints. my joints dont mind weight as much as repeated abuse

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
sorry here bro but gotta call you out. you prolly follow it very closely but not strict as there is no accessory work in dc training. back 3-5 times per week? impossible considering that its a 3 day/week routine so the most you could do is 3 so if you said 3 i wouldnt argue as directly and indirectly you would be for the most part correct. shoulders would never get 3 days in a week no matter how you look at it. on the leg, bi, forearm, calf day you are not hitting shoulders even remotely. on that week where its 2 of those said routines youd only hit shoulders 1 time.

no hatin bro just pointin it out. me personally i follow dc almost strict. the only accessory work i do is traps since deadlifting has of recently become a no-no for me but that wouldnt stop me from doing my favorite wo system of all time
That's kind of prodding at my semantics, but fair enough since I didn't clarify. I do some things outside of DC (like outside of my weight-lifting sessions) that I counted in there, but as for my lifting sessions I do it as prescribed doing the MWF ABABAB.

bird901

Awards
I'm like rodja. I train lifts. The accessory work that goes with those lifts hit some of the same muscle groups a couple times a week.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I train by movement as well, and each movement is trained twice per week: once a focus and once an ancillary. Thus, you could say I train each muscle groups at least twice per week

Br

rexkwondoe

Awards
Working back 3-5 times per week seems extremely excessive. Anyone have results from that?

For some reason I enjoy working each muscle group once a week more than anything else. I do stints of focusing on Olympic lifts 3x/week and leave everything else to "accessory movements" status, but I don't stray much...and if I do it's not for long. I do split up quads and hamstrings (hamstrings on back day, quads have their own day).

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hit back at least 3-4x/week. Chins, rows, deads, etc.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Aside from the hips and thighs, the back is the largest muscle group with many different functions - far more than chest or delts or biceps.

If you are doing a muscle split, I suggest splitting the upper back into two (much as you split chest and delts):
Lats and teres major
Traps (all fibers) and rhomboids

Which essentially puts you back into a movement based program; vertical pulls (chins, pull ups, etc) and horizontal pulls (bent over rows, facepulls, etc.), respectively.

If you add in the work the back gets from deadlifts and rumanian deadlifts (which are lower body dominant), its not hard to see how 3-4 days of back work each week is nessessary.

Br

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do chins/pullups between every set of presses, whether it be chest, shoulders, or delts. I also make sure to cap off every session with sets of either facepulls, band pullaparts, or rear flys. It's amazing how many people neglect the small muscles and how much it sabotages their health and ability to make strenght gains.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The above posts by Zir Red and Rodja describe my feelings pretty well.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
i break stuff down on movements as well, usually i hit muscle groups 2x a week tho

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
how many times a week i work on something depends on the total volume and intensity done during a workout and when as a single father my daughter decides she needs more daddy time. :(

so sometimes my workouts are very short so i will do things more often in a week. if i can get a good long session on a part i may not hit it again for a week.

purebred

You hit multiple muscle groups at a time anyway -regardless of what program/routine you're doing--so I personally see no point in worrying about which muscle group you hit and how often. Your program should contain compound movements, and if it does, you're covering all essential aspects.

If you want to train like a bodybuilder, go on right ahead. If you want to train like a powerlifter, you may do that as well, too.

I prefer to train like someone who is trying to gain functional strength and size. The two tend to be correlated more often than not.