How many calories for post-workout meal?

Benjamin1

Awards
When I go to the gym, I drink a 700cal mass gainer throughout my workout.

I usually eat my post workout meal about 1-1 1/2 hours after.

How many calories should that meal be?

I usually do between 650-850...

Thanks!

uvawahoowa

Awards

Thanks!
Why would you drink a mass gainer during your workout?

To your question, whatever amount of calories you need to hit your daily calories/macros

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Why would you drink a mass gainer during your workout?

To your question, whatever amount of calories you need to hit your daily calories/macros
this.....

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Please tell me that's a joke you drink your mass gainer during your workout?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I saw 2 people the other day drinking their protein shakes during their workout

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I saw 2 people the other day drinking their protein shakes during their workout
I've seen people drinking protein shakes during workouts also but I don't think I ever would/could

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I drink a carb drink during my workout mixed with strive
Ya I've drank Gatorade before... just don't think I could do protein which I know some people like/prefer.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
No I wouldn't do protein either. I think carbs before during and after are best for bulking and do protein before and after. I consume 50 g whey protein isolate immediately after along with 2 scoops vitargo s2

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No I wouldn't do protein either. I think carbs before during and after are best for bulking and do protein before and after. I consume 50 g whey protein isolate immediately after along with 2 scoops vitargo s2
I agree... other then the vitargo s2. That ***t is expensive and I would rather eat a Banana or some other simple carb food/drink (Gatorade), even though carbs aren't necessary immediately post workout. Only really need whey protein. But I add carbs when I'm bulking just to get extra carbs and calories.

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
I agree... other then the vitargo s2. That ***t is expensive and I would rather eat a Banana or some other simple carb food/drink (Gatorade), even though carbs aren't necessary immediately post workout. Only really need whey protein. But I add carbs when I'm bulking just to get extra carbs and calories.
Post workout is the only time I actually have carbs.... Need to replenish them glycogen stores!!

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Thanks!
Next week i'll begin with my intra shake. Its probably closer to 400cals though with 1/4t bulk P-Slin mixed in it & 1 cap AP 20min before.

Im usually starving when I get home and I'll have my usual 10oz chicken + sweet potato meal within 30min of getting home. There's no real set answer for your questions. It all depends on daily macros, really.

If you dont mind me asking, what mass gainer shake are you using? I have done this in the past but have moved to making my own (whey isolate, peptapro, WMS, Karbolyn, Glycofuse etc...) Its usually cheaper and you can get the exact macros you want without the fat (the biggest issue, IMO) and a "better" source of protein & carbs.

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
You are going to be better off eating a large meal 2-3 hours prior then having your mass shake an hour before your workout. If you want something during, have a carb drink with BCAA then after ward have some high gi carbs (karbolyn, vitargo, even gatorade) with whey iso or EAA's then 30-60 min later have your whole food meal. There is no way I could do a shake during my workout. I have a hard enough time keeping BCAA/water down during training when I do back or legs.

Benjamin1

Awards
Please tell me that's a joke you drink your mass gainer during your workout?

lol. Your implying that I am a dumbass for drinking my shake throughout my workout.
Nevertheless, when someone else (sean1332) comments on this forum, saying they've seen people do the same, you reply with "i just dont think i could/would"

So now that your playing both sides of the field, please expound upon why its a "joke" that i may drink a shake throughout my workout?
Thanks!!

Benjamin1

Awards
Next week i'll begin with my intra shake. Its probably closer to 400cals though with 1/4t bulk P-Slin mixed in it & 1 cap AP 20min before.

Im usually starving when I get home and I'll have my usual 10oz chicken + sweet potato meal within 30min of getting home. There's no real set answer for your questions. It all depends on daily macros, really.

If you dont mind me asking, what mass gainer shake are you using? I have done this in the past but have moved to making my own (whey isolate, peptapro, WMS, Karbolyn, Glycofuse etc...) Its usually cheaper and you can get the exact macros you want without the fat (the biggest issue, IMO) and a "better" source of protein & carbs.
My apologies I haven't been able to reply in a while to these forums. But I was previously taking True-Mass, but I just ordered Dymatise elite mass.....

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol. Your implying that I am a dumbass for drinking my shake throughout my workout.
Nevertheless, when someone else (sean1332) comments on this forum, saying they've seen people do the same, you reply with "i just dont think i could/would"

So now that your playing both sides of the field, please expound upon why its a "joke" that i may drink a shake throughout my workout?
Thanks!!

No. You said a mass gainer during a workout. I wouldn't drink a mass gainer during a workout. And I said I've seen people drinking whey as an intra product. And ya I said I don't think I could/would drink whey during a workout.

And I was never calling you a dummy man. Was simply giving my own opinion.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wouldnt drink a mass gainer during a workout personally. Most have carbs that arent ideal for intra workout. I do make an intra shake that contains protein(whey hydro) and carbs(Glycofuse[HBCD]).

uvawahoowa

Awards

Thanks!!
Why don't you just bring a plate of steak and potatoes with you to the gym?

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
drinking a mass shake during your workout kind of disrupts the process...and cant imagine that you could get througha workout without feeling like crap. A light dextrose drink maybe, that way you will be hungry after your done training. The reason you eat 90 minutes after you train is becuase you already ate...during your workout.