Unanswered Honorary "Board Sponsor"

Par Deus

Par Deus

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I've given so much science to you people, I deserve that.

Anyway, I am probably the foremost expert in the entire world on the Gut/Microbiome and how it all ties in with body composition, metabolic health, muscle mass, the brain (in all its forms from memory to mood to autism to dementias), and aging.

AMA

BigLarry

BigLarry

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That’s a pretty big claim, I’m honored such an expert found his way to a forum such as ours haha. Just playing though :)

R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
In. Tired and no questions at the moment but sure I’ll think of something and don’t want to miss anything!

Par Deus

Par Deus

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I have not done the brain (in progress) or aging write-ups, yet, but fat loss/metabolic health/muscle (they, and the others all come down to inflammation/butyrate/insulin signalling pathways/protein synthesis (even in the brain).

But, just to give you something to read so you can think of good questions (and, to learn the kiddos how formidable I am)

Start at the bottom and work your way to the top. Probably like 50K words and 2K references, plus a graphic meant to make it simple, though it simply isn't.

http://avantlabs.com/forum/blogs/blog/3-product-science/

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I've given so much science to you people, I deserve that.

Anyway, I am probably the foremost expert in the entire world on the Gut/Microbiome and how it all ties in with body composition, metabolic health, muscle mass, the brain (in all its forms from memory to mood to autism to dementias), and aging.

AMA
I have my sister looking into pre/probiotics for her migraines...if that does it I will sincerely owe you a debt of gratitude!!!

Par Deus

Par Deus

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I have my sister looking into pre/probiotics for her migraines...if that does it I will sincerely owe you a debt of gratitude!!!
It is a long-term solution vis a vis beta blockers and such.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It is a long-term solution vis a vis beta blockers and such.
beta blockers worked marginally for awhile and now make it worse....they are trying high dosed magnesium, but she says she has trouble tolerating even low to moderate doses.

Par Deus

Par Deus

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
beta blockers worked marginally for awhile and now make it worse....they are trying high dosed magnesium, but she says she has trouble tolerating even low to moderate doses.
Magnesium, making sure you have enough, is great long-term, on this, and in general. But, high-dose can make people do things that girls don't do.

M

mexecutioner

Awards
What strains of probiotics, if any, elevate levels of serotonin in the GI tract?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Magnesium, making sure you have enough, is great long-term, on this, and in general. But, high-dose can make people do things that girls don't do.
things are getting desperate...the migraines keep getting worse and she has tried most if not all fda approved medications.

Par Deus

Par Deus

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
What strains of probiotics, if any, elevate levels of serotonin in the GI tract?
Man, that's a better question than I immediately expected. Reducing LPS/inflammatory pathways in general, do, because such set tryptophan on the kynurenine pathway instead of the serotonin one. Not much on the individual strains, and I am not going to name them, anyway, because I have a product to sell that isn't even out yet (plus, not a whole lot on that at the strain level, yet -- species (and, often even genus, and sometimes even phylum are still correlated on a lot of stuff, plus soooooooooo many yet to be even named much less cultured and studies that I lean fairly strongly toward going with the same species and expecting the best, unless their is good data on specific strains -- and, there are on quite a few -- though, most not commercially available -- and, some, they can't even culture in the lab. They just have to get from poo) .

Though, a bit of a bonus to make up for it... The kynurenine pathway ultimately leads to NMDA hyperexitatory response in the brain. And, you don't actually want high serotonin in gut, it causes pain and problems. But, yeah, tryptophan metabolism is a big deal on this.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Am I correct that certain forms of Magnesium are less inclined to cause gastro-intestinal distress than others?

Par Deus

Par Deus

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Am I correct that certain forms of Magnesium are less inclined to cause gastro-intestinal distress than others?
I do not know the answer to that.

Magnesium, itself, is muscle relaxing, as it mildly blocks the NMDA receptor and Ca2+ channels (think contraction not happening), if you catch my meaning.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yes, I got it.

IIRC, magnesium glycinate is the least "laxative-like" form.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yes, I got it.

IIRC, magnesium glycinate is the least "laxative-like" form.
In general yes and magnesium citrate is considered to be the most “laxative-like”.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
As far as gut health and biome are concerned, I’ve noticed the closer I eat to pure carnivore the better I tend to feel mentally the next day. On a similar note, Keto has virtually cured my anxiety and depression.

How do you feel about Keto/carnivore in regards to gut health?

Edit- also can’t discount that water fasting might have played a large impact on fixing my mental health. Have done two 4 day, one 5 day, and one 10 day fast since the beginning of April

Par Deus

Par Deus

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
As far as gut health and biome are concerned, I’ve noticed the closer I eat to pure carnivore the better I tend to feel mentally the next day. On a similar note, Keto has virtually cured my anxiety and depression.

How do you feel about Keto/carnivore in regards to gut health?

Edit- also can’t discount that water fasting might have played a large impact on fixing my mental health. Have done two 4 day, one 5 day, and one 10 day fast since the beginning of April
Ketones are HDAC inhibitors, like butyrate (SCFAs, products of fiber fermentation), and they seem to be anti-inflammatory, in general. Great for the brain. And, lowering carbs/glucose levels is great for everything. Have not found that they directly, directly help the gut (like butyrate is main fuel for enterocytes), but indirectly, they do.

They are really good for you. Duchaine did not quite know why he was right on them, but he was. He just saw **** in pictures and music.

I don't know anything about water fasting, but actual short-term fasting has all kinds of benefits.

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Toss me out some cheap, effective Anti-Aging supplement ideas as well as overall gut health ones if you could!

J

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
In general yes and magnesium citrate is considered to be the most “laxative-like”.
I thought the hydroxide form was typically used for laxative effects. I could definitely be wrong though.

J

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I thought the hydroxide form was typically used for laxative effects. I could definitely be wrong though.

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Toss me out some cheap, effective Anti-Aging supplement ideas as well as overall gut health ones if you could!

J

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

J

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

J

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Par Deus, have you seen the MA Supps digestive product Veda Gest? I’m curious what your thoughts are on it.

Par Deus

Par Deus

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Fish oil, veggie/fruit extract (especially berries), spicy things of all types from mustard to wasabi, cut carbs, don't use artificial sweeteners other than stevia

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Interesting perspective you have.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Don’t recall hearing about that but you can pm me.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Bobo , Par Dues.

Two names I havnt seen in awhile.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Avant making a comeback or is this new thing?

Par Deus

Par Deus

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Avant making a comeback or is this new thing?
This is the new thing. Most fascinating thing since leptin/the "fed state" stuff from back when. Like I said, I haven't finished writing the Gut/Inflammation/Brain one, yet, but it is more interesting by far than the body fat and muscle ones. Plus, it comes full circle with mTor and the neurotropic factors/signalling (BDNF et al) having huge input on the adipostat.

Probably do Gut and Aging after that. Aging is inflammatory, so it is covered a great deal in the first three, just not directly. And, there will be interaction with telomeres and "immortal stem cells". Likewise, epigenetics needs one that is more purely focused on it.

And, even the lungs in COPD and the throat in chronic tonsillitis have there own microbiome. Way more cells and genome in these bacteria in you than all of the rest of you. And, they are controlling you like science-fiction ****.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Way more cells and genome in these bacteria in you than all of the rest of you. And, they are controlling you like science-fiction ****.
This is far more significant than people realize.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Interesting stuff, going to have to come back and have a look at the link you posted OP!

Par Deus

Par Deus

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
This is far more significant than people realize.
Yep.

There was some leprosy not liquor indian researcher who proposed that a virus was making some people fat back in the early-mid 2000s. And, it was decent looking data. I wrote a little write-up on it way back when. But, viral infections mess up the gut. And, that is probably what was happening there.

In a bit, I am gonna grab a couple choice quotes from papers and of my own from my brain write-up. It is 123, 599 words, right now, which I will cut to probably 20K, so not easy to find. It will probably take 20 years to spread this info and have it half understood instead of 10 because the internet (and reddit) are so dumb, now.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yep.

There was some leprosy not liquor indian researcher who proposed that a virus was making some people fat back in the early-mid 2000s. And, it was decent looking data. I wrote a little write-up on it way back when. But, viral infections mess up the gut. And, that is probably what was happening there.

In a bit, I am gonna grab a couple choice quotes from papers and of my own from my brain write-up. It is 123, 599 words, right now, which I will cut to probably 20K, so not easy to find. It will probably take 20 years to spread this info and have it half understood instead of 10 because the internet (and reddit) are so dumb, now.

Par Deus

Par Deus

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
From papers...

"At a basic level, the gut microbiota interacts with the human host in a mutualistic relationship - the host intestine provides the bacteria with an environment to grow and the bacterium aids in governing homeostasis within the host."

"The human gut harbors a dynamic and complex microbial ecosystem, consisting of approximately 1 kg of bacteria in the average adult, approximately the weight of the human brain. The evolutionary formation of a complex gut microbiota in mammals has played an important role in enabling brain development and perhaps sophisticated social interaction."

"disturbances in the composition and functionality of some microbiota members are associated with neurophysiological disorders, strengthening the idea of a microbiota-gut-brain axis and the role of microbiota as a "peacekeeper" in the brain"

My own, in regard to Clock Genes and their disruption...

"You’re ticking to the Fat Clock! Fat Clock! Fat Clock!"

R

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So we can’t just eat any foods that have tons of bacteria strains like kimchi and Greek yogurt and assume all those are good for our gut right? Our guts probably already have a lot of bacteria we don’t want, and it’s possible these foods might either not do anything for that ratio, possibly make it negative.

Par Deus

Par Deus

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
So we can’t just eat any foods that have tons of bacteria strains like kimchi and Greek yogurt and assume all those are good for our gut right? Our guts probably already have a lot of bacteria we don’t want, and it’s possible these foods might either not do anything for that ratio, possibly make it negative.
No, if you are eating like that, and you are lean, you got it 95% figured out (unless you still have IBS or other inflammatory **** like that). This is my most complicated design, but it is more for the masses.

I explain it a decent bit at the end of the Gut and Muscle write-up...

"
Will it work for me and what to expect

With the science out of the way, the obvious question is “How much do you need and/or should you want pro- and prebiotics to fix your gut and your body?”

Because the gut and systemic inflammation affect every system, and basically every cell, in your body, a good probiotic/prebiotic combo kind of stands apart from any other category of supplement. It is most analogous to going from a shitty diet to a good diet or from an okay diet to a perfect one.

We briefly mentioned hardgainers and the “skinny fat” phenotype, earlier. You definitely want to fix your gut. I would expect around an extra 10 lbs of muscle in a year, as your body starts living up to its genetic potential. For significantly fat people (and, even moreso, if showing signs of glucose intolerance), you absolutely need to fix your gut. I would expect very noticeable body composition changes in 1-3 months, and borderline miraculous ones in a year. This article has been about muscle mass, but as we alluded to with the mention of Metabolic Syndrome, the gut and inflammation play a huge role in health, as well.

Other general parameters pointing toward its usefulness for you are being over 30, the fatter you are, the worse your diet is, being in a calorie surplus, and having a (personal or family) history of inflammatory related conditions (heart disease, blood pressure, auto-immune, IBS/IBD, etc.).

On other hand, if you are 19, quite lean, on great diet with low-moderate carbs including fruits and veggies, with an iron stomach, and in a calorie deficit, it is not going to noticeably do a lot for you. It would be much more of a preventative measure to keep your cells young as you get older, to keep you still being awesome 5-10+ years from now. A big exception would be during bulking phases – and, the dirtier the bulk, the more it would help. Likewise, if you tend to go off the rails during holidays or vacations, it is damage control."

J

jamesm11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Gut health vs this....FIGHT

I'm joking, as I believe both formulators were at Avant at one time?