HMB - 2006 study

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Anti-inflamitory and anticatabolic but supresses the imune system.

1: Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2006;15(4):544-50.
Anti-inflammatory and anticatabolic effects of short-term beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate supplementation on chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients in intensive care unit.

* Hsieh LC,
* Chien SL,
* Huang MS,
* Tseng HF,
* Chang CK.

Department of Dietetics, Kaohsiung Municipal United Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, ROC.

Elevated inflammatory markers and muscle wasting were common in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) patients. The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of 7-day beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB) supplementation on inflammation, protein metabolism, and pulmonary function in COPD patients in an intensive care unit. Thirty-four COPD patients who required mechanical ventilators were randomly assigned to HMB (n=18) or control (n=16) groups. The HMB group received HMB 3 g/d for 7 days. White blood cell count, C-reactive protein, and creatinine were significantly lower, while cholesterol and total protein were significantly higher after HMB supplementation. The body weight remained unchanged in both groups. Ten subjects (55.6%) in the HMB group and 4 subjects (25.0%) in the control group had improved pulmonary function, indicated by their ventilator modes. This short-term study suggests that HMB supplementation may have anti-inflammatory and anticatabolic effect and improve pulmonary function in COPD patients in an intensive care unit setting.

PMID: 17077073 [PubMed - in process]

TSB4me

TSB4me

Awards
  • Established
I've done the HMB thing , using up to 5gms a day for a couple of months and never noticed any negative effects, but in saying that I never noticed any positive ones.For me HMB was a complete waste of money.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I tried HMB ages ago and didnt bother finishing it, its probly my oldest suppliment bottle thats still lying around the house, thats why I thought it would be good to post this article. Being a Pubmed article it makes it look so attractive, but when you take it, it seems so useless.

Either the study is useless due to not enough subjects, or other suppliments such as protein powder and fish oil would of done a much better job.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
I have always enjoyed HMB. It works like a BCAA protocol it keeps me lean and firm. I will also take it in place of a MRP when drinking a shake is not convienient. I think HMB works best as an complimentary supplement not as a standalone espescially not a steroid replacement.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I guess it could be a good addition in BCAA's to help with anti catabolism.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Another study showed that it's synergistic with creatine for lean mass gains (I don't remember who that was tested on - may have been untrained people....).

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I remember this one.. No idea where I found it though..

vince spider

vince spider

Awards
  • Established
I've done the HMB thing , using up to 5gms a day for a couple of months and never noticed any negative effects, but in saying that I never noticed any positive ones.For me HMB was a complete waste of money.
:goodpost:
tell that to matty hacksquat and dimes!

is there anything you haven't tried tsb?:stick:

i look forward to your review of IDS Mass Tabs:thumbsup:

TSB4me

TSB4me

Awards
  • Established
:goodpost:
tell that to matty hacksquat and dimes!

is there anything you haven't tried tsb?:stick:

i look forward to your review of IDS Mass Tabs:thumbsup:

Not me big louie......you must be getting me confused with bodybuilder andy. :bb3:

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
HMB is awful, but if u can chug it maybe effective.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 26
Supplements 2
GreenMachineX Supplements 11
Supplements 42
Supplements 49