Unanswered Hitting macros while broke

Dobs27

Dobs27

Awards
Gotta keep it simple as ****.
I was hitting my macs on 50 dollars every two weeeks.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
No lie lets get some ideas flowing! I have stretched a $1 before and swear it works!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Might help to post what you are trying to hit. Eggs are cheap, tuna is cheap, rice is cheap especially in bulk, it's nearing super cheap sweet potato season, frozen/canned veggies can be had for little etc.
You forgot chicken, you can get a whole chicken for next to nothing. Find it on special and get a good bit and freeze it.

I got about 15 lbs of 90/10 beef because it was 3.99 a lb the other day. I find 93/7 turkey for 2.99. Watch the deals online at your local grocery and meat markets. Don't forget beans, lots of cheap ways to get the good stuff in... I always find it funny when people say I am fat because I am broke... NOT!!!! The old fast food is cheaper than healthy is total BS and a scapegoat people use as an excuse... people just don't want to cook and go for the processed BS...

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You forgot chicken, you can get a whole chicken for next to nothing. Find it on special and get a good bit and freeze it.

I got about 15 lbs of 90/10 beef because it was 3.99 a lb the other day. I find 93/7 turkey for 2.99. Watch the deals online at your local grocery and meat markets. Don't forget beans, lots of cheap ways to get the good stuff in... I always find it funny when people say I am fat because I am broke... NOT!!!! The old fast food is cheaper than healthy is total BS and a scapegoat people use as an excuse... people just don't want to cook and go for the processed BS...
Completely agree. Fast food is actually pretty costly nowadays compared to grocery and pretty costly period anymore.

deadliftqueen

deadliftqueen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Might help to post what you are trying to hit. Eggs are cheap, tuna is cheap, rice is cheap especially in bulk, it's nearing super cheap sweet potato season, frozen/canned veggies can be had for little etc.
Allergic to sea food and fish etc. I’m talking more about protein sources I usually use rice and frozen veggies because they’re cheaper but it’s hard to hit my proteins without spending a lot

deadliftqueen

deadliftqueen

Awards
  • First Up Vote

Any stores you’d recommend I’m in California and meat is crazy expensive

Dobs27

Dobs27

Awards
I try too but California is expensive I was spending about 30 dollars almost every week on the east coast now I’m spending 60-70 a week on the west
Oh yeah. Idk what meat prices are in cali but theyre prettt reasonable in colorado
Chicken and ground turkey are my go toos.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Don’t forget about liquid egg whites. Most cost effective protein source ive found. About $6 for 100g of protein. Don’t even need to cook them.
They’re 1/2 that price at Costco (if that’s an option)
IMG_6529.JPG

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Any stores you’d recommend I’m in California and meat is crazy expensive
I did 90% Sprouts and Costco living in San Diego.
Chicken breast ~ 1.99/lb
Grass fed 85/15 beef 3.99/lb
Ground turkey 93/7 2.99/lb
Fruits/ veggies just shop sales

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I try too but California is expensive I was spending about 30 dollars almost every week on the east coast now I’m spending 60-70 a week on the west
Problem solved....come back to the east coast lol

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There are several people that live in Cali that should be able to suggest the best places to shop...let’s see if I can get a couple in here. Everyone else can tag others in Cali as well... @brundel @djbombsquad @puccah8808

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Not sure if there is an Aldi's near you but I get chicken there for $1.89/pound. Eggs are about $0.89/dozen. Frozen broccoli is $1.20/bag, rice cauliflower is about the same.

A huge thing of oatmeal that lasts me about a month is $3 or something like that.

Only thing for me is, I go there for those items every week and without fail I wonder up buying a bunch of other stuff and spend $80. Doesn't seem to matter what I do.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not sure if there is an Aldi's near you but I get chicken there for $1.89/pound. Eggs are about $0.89/dozen. Frozen broccoli is $1.20/bag, rice cauliflower is about the same.

A huge thing of oatmeal that lasts me about a month is $3 or something like that.

Only thing for me is, I go there for those items every week and without fail I wonder up buying a bunch of other stuff and spend $80. Doesn't seem to matter what I do.
California keto is a new shop and has awesome stuff Iv been told . So save on gas by going to a one stop shop
View attachment 187236View attachment 187237

Last edited:
djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Don’t forget about liquid egg whites. Most cost effective protein source ive found. About $6 for 100g of protein. Don’t even need to cook them.
Actually according to the liquid egg supplement company they said it can’t be raw . I Forget why .

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Actually according to the liquid egg supplement company they said it can’t be raw . I Forget why .
I’d guess they’re just covering their own asses in case someone gets sick. Likely won’t be an issue.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't have a budget to stay in and still keep it inexpensive because it can be fairly easy and tasty. You know what I love is canned chicken similar to tuna. Add in some mayo and crackers with celery and go to town. Eggs all the time. Grab some chicken, throw in a crock pot to shred and add into some brown rice with veggies. Lots of different ways.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Is there a grocery outlet near you? That’s where @puccah8808 recommends.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Okay so another cheap way to get it in is buy the fattier ground beef, brown it to medium rare-ish, strain it, boil it some seasoned water for 15-20 minutes skim the fat off the top, pour the rest of the fat out through a strainer then and you have lean beef for cheap.

Shorter method, brown it all the way, strain it, run hot water over it, then season it and put it in your recipe / dish.

Another thing that might not be mentioned here is protein powder. Whey is the most economical way to get your protein in if you are not a whole food nazi. Find a 5lb tub of whey on sale for 50-60 or even better, then get 70 25g servings of protein for $0.71 cents a serving and pretty much as bioavailable as protein gets...