help with carb cravings at night

arizonanewbie

arizonanewbie

Awards
I am looking for some guidance here. I am on a 40-30-30 clean bulk right now so I'm not really restricting carbs but I've found over the last month that I get intense cravings for carbs late at night - especially sugary cereal, which I don't eat. I don't want to eat carbs before bed and I am curious where this came from. Does anyone have any experience with this or any advice?

faetfiada

faetfiada

Awards
what time of day are you training? and are you staying up late?

arizonanewbie

arizonanewbie

Awards
I train in the late morning or early afternoon generally, although this summer I will start training around 6pm because of work. And as far as staying up late - generally btwn 11 and midnight. Does that fill in the picture at all?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Could be hypoglycemia from undereating carbs throughout the day. I used to get this when I would cut because I would overdiet and reduce carbs too much and this would happen about 90 minutes before I went to bed.

arizonanewbie

arizonanewbie

Awards
Thanks, I wonder if thats it. Maybe it is that simple. But I don't eat a super-low-carb diet as it is. Hmm?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks, I wonder if thats it. Maybe it is that simple. But I don't eat a super-low-carb diet as it is. Hmm?
Low-carb can be a relative term. For example, if you should be eating 500g of carbs, then 250g would be low.

arizonanewbie

arizonanewbie

Awards
Thats a good idea. I'll try that one. Thanks Steveo.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Are you doing the separate P+C and P+F thing?

arizonanewbie

arizonanewbie

Awards
I don't know what you mean, so I assume not. Please explain.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah there is an ideology that combining carbs and fats in the same meal is bad. A consequence of this is that a single meal then tends to have double the fat or double the carbs cause you are still trying to make up your overall daily macro ratio.

I was going to suggest that if you were doing this that your blood glucose levels are more variable and leading to cravings. However if you are not separating them then disregard...:cool:

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
are these cravings for carb foods or do you need carb foods at night?